Home
Posted By: hanco A few piggies - 05/04/22
Got a few piggies the last couple days. I lost two, had to use a .22 magnum, had cataract surgery a couple of weeks ago. No boomers for a little while. It’s amazing to have a clear scope and one crosshair again.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Deans Re: A few piggies - 05/04/22
Nice work on the pigs. Glad you are getting your shooting eye back. Just don't rush things too hard.
Posted By: hanco Re: A few piggies - 05/04/22
Definitely not, Doc said a month, waiting a couple extra weeks.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: A few piggies - 05/04/22
Nice shooting Hanco, what ammo are you using on them?
Posted By: hanco Re: A few piggies - 05/04/22
CCI hollowpoints. Prefer solids, but all I’ve been able to find
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: A few piggies - 05/05/22
That will do
Posted By: ingwe Re: A few piggies - 05/05/22
Originally Posted by hanco

You must be a "stunt shooter" ...I've had a couple dozen Texans tell me you can't kill hogs with anything smaller that a .243 or .270

I'm gonna re-educate a couple of them next week with my .222
Posted By: hanco Re: A few piggies - 05/05/22
Originally Posted by ingwe

You must be a "stunt shooter" ...I've had a couple dozen Texans tell me you can't kill hogs with anything smaller that a .243 or .270

I'm gonna re-educate a couple of them next week with my .222

It will kill deer too, boy killed several with it, he was 8. Pigs are easy to kill. I’ve killed a bunch with a bow.

Posted By: RIO7 Re: A few piggies - 05/05/22

ingwe,
Had a lot of Texans tell me they were Cowboy's, 99% of them had never stepped in SCHITT Don't have a 222, but do have a 223, that's killed a few pigs, maybe i'm over gunned?? Rio7
Originally Posted by RIO7

ingwe,
Had a lot of Texans tell me they were Cowboy's, 99% of them had never stepped in SCHITT Don't have a 222, but do have a 223, that's killed a few pigs, maybe i'm over gunned?? Rio7

A 223 will kill hell out of pigs
Posted By: OGB Re: A few piggies - 05/05/22
"It will kill deer too, boy killed several with it, he was 8. Pigs are easy to kill. I’ve killed a bunch with a bow."

Add an arrow into the mix to make it a bit easier!
Originally Posted by OGB
"It will kill deer too, boy killed several with it, he was 8. Pigs are easy to kill. I’ve killed a bunch with a bow."

I chase em down, beat them SOB’s to death
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: A few piggies - 05/05/22
A 22 lr will do the job. Killed a couple by accident. Hasbeen
Posted By: shootem Re: A few piggies - 05/05/22
Originally Posted by OGB

I chase em down, beat them SOB’s to death

laffin !!!
Posted By: shootem Re: A few piggies - 05/05/22
Are those all head shots or are you stickin em in the ribs?
Originally Posted by shootem
Are those all head shots or are you stickin em in the ribs?

Mostly head shots
I saw an all white piglet Tuesday. We killed an all white male a few years ago
Posted By: DubThomas Re: A few piggies - 05/05/22
I've been using my CZ 527 in .223 for pigs. The 50 grain Nosler ballistic tip at about 3200 FPS does a number on the heads of pigs. Makes their eyes bug out! LOL!
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Re: A few piggies - 05/05/22
Wish we had piggies where I live but it will never happen. Going to have to try going for them someday.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: A few piggies - 05/05/22
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

Wish we had piggies where I live . .

Woo wee ! ! !

You might want to re-think that ^ ^ ^
Posted By: RIO7 Re: A few piggies - 05/05/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Bug eyed boar, .223 Rio7
Wish we had piggies where I live but it will never happen. Going to have to try going for them someday.

No you don’t, go someplace afflicted with them!
Posted By: ingwe Re: A few piggies - 05/06/22

ingwe,

Yeah..that .223 might be excessive. My favorite for pigs as of late is the .17 Remington.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: A few piggies - 05/06/22
Hanco,

What area is your lease in?

I think you live around Houston, that land looks farther west by a good bit from what I know about Texas.

I've been a fan of 22mag. for years, killed a couple of deer with one way back when.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: A few piggies - 05/06/22
Originally Posted by ingwe

ingwe,

Yeah..that .223 might be excessive. My favorite for pigs as of late is the .17 Remington.

Do you shoot a 20gr. or 25gr. Partition?
smile
Posted By: hanco Re: A few piggies - 05/06/22
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Hanco,

What area is your lease in?

I think you live around Houston, that land looks farther west by a good bit from what I know about Texas.

I've been a fan of 22mag. for years, killed a couple of deer with one way back when.

Burnet Texas, just east of Lake Buchanan
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Re: A few piggies - 05/06/22

I don't think they'd fare very well in the county I'm in. There's almost no agrictural land, little in the way of feed but there's lots of springs and water timber and brush.

I don't think they'd fare very well in the county I'm in. There's almost no agrictural land, little in the way of feed but there's lots of springs and water timber and brush.

They would thrive, nothing but rocks and they do well in the hill country.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: A few piggies - 05/06/22

They will do better than you think. They don't need crops, could survive on meat alone eating any ground bearing critters and damaging turkey nests.
Pigs eat anything, very destructive.
Posted By: Hastings Re: A few piggies - 05/06/22
Pigs eat anything, very destructive.
That's right. They will eat road kill, dead spoiled fish, deer guts, grass. clover, leaves, young rabbits, bird eggs, crawfish, worms. Anything a buzzard, opossum, or bear will eat, and they tear up lots of growing plants while digging. I don't eat pork but my forebears ran hogs on free range and would pen up the ones they wanted to butcher and "clean them out" with something for worms and fed corn for a few days or weeks. After they killed off most of the game there were hogs, yard chickens, and in the winter there were ducks.
They can sure root up a football field. They jacked up fields several times at the district I worked for. They had to build fences around all the fields at some schools.
Posted By: Docbill Re: A few piggies - 05/06/22
By some accounts pigs have killed so many rattlesnakes in some locals that the snakes have turned to not rattling so as not give away their location and thus turn into snake food.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: A few piggies - 05/06/22
I had no restrictions w my surgery... nevertheless, good work!
Originally Posted by Docbill
By some accounts pigs have killed so many rattlesnakes in some locals that the snakes have turned to not rattling so as not give away their location and thus turn into snake food.

There was a three footer in camp a couple of years ago. I almost stepped on him. He didn’t rattle, couldn’t get him to rattle. I killed him with a broom. I was coming out of cook shack, there he was.

Posted By: JTPinTX Re: A few piggies - 05/23/22
The best rifle to shoot pigs with, is whatever you have in your hand when you find them. The main thing is to just be sure and shoot them with something. Preferably right behind the ear.

Sounds like your surgery went well. I wish you a speedy recovery. Good job on keeping on the pigs.
Posted By: hanco Re: A few piggies - 05/23/22
Originally Posted by JTPinTX
The best rifle to shoot pigs with, is whatever you have in your hand when you find them. The main thing is to just be sure and shoot them with something. Preferably right behind the ear.

Sounds like your surgery went well. I wish you a speedy recovery. Good job on keeping on the pigs.

Thank you, sure enjoy shooting pigs, trapping them, etc
Posted By: JTPinTX Re: A few piggies - 05/23/22
We put a few down last night. Started a little slow, but then got in the groove.

Video link:
https://rumble.com/v15saye-52322-big-sounder.html

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire