Home
Anyone draw anything good?

My oldest daughter was unsuccessful for moose. She’s bummed

I’m waiting for my rejection email on the sheep I applied for.
Nothing here. 26 years and counting.
19 years of “up yours” for a moose. 🤬🤬🤬🤬
Funny I have a friend, second generation Sagle born and raised, that went 24 years before drawing moose. Fast forward to my newish neighbors that moved from Iowa six years ago and she drew in three years (and successfully hunted 6 months pregnant) with her husband drawing two years later taking a very nice 46" bull. Being an out of stater I gave up a number of years ago.
No moose - will hit it again next year.
Nope. Blanked again.

Bongo hunt is on deck.
Oh just stop it!! 22-23 years I haven’t sniffed a buck, bull or antelope tag… but they have the “best” system!! Haha
Sorry guys!

We still have hope for the oldest boy to draw an elk tag.
Drew moose in 60A!

Should be a fun challenge. Lot’s to learn about hunting that unit.
Originally Posted by [bleep
]Drew moose in 60A!

Grats should be fun. 👍
Originally Posted by [bleep
]Drew moose in 60A!

Cracks me up it “bleeps” your name in a quote!

That Island Park country is a great spot for moose and grizzly bear. I hunted antelope down that way a few years ago and saw a good number of moose. Good luck!
Zippo for me and the kid on Moose...
Drew moose the first year I applied in 2005. Back then there were left over moose tags in some of the more remote units. Applied for goat every year until I was drawn last year. This year was my first year applying for sheep, no luck. May take a few more years to pull a sheep tag. lol.
As I understand it, out of state folks are allotted 10% of the total tags available. Is this correct?
Originally Posted by EdM
As I understand it, out of state folks are allotted 10% of the total tags available. Is this correct?

Correct.
It took me 10 years, but I finally drew moose...Unit 61-1 west of Island Park. Helped a buddy kill a 44" there 5-6 years ago....Got to find one bigger than his...
Originally Posted by EdM

In Idaho it is 10% of the statewide quota. Once 10% is reached all non resident apps are removed and only residents are drawn then.
Technically a non resident can draw a unit with only 1 tag available since Idaho doesn’t have set aside resident/non resident tags.
No luck as usual lol. 14 years and counting.
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
It took me 10 years, but I finally drew moose...Unit 61-1 west of Island Park. Helped a buddy kill a 44" there 5-6 years ago....Got to find one bigger than his...

Congrats buddy! Happy for you! Thinking about giving moose a go next year.
Things have changed a lot over the years and these hunts are a lot more popular. Maybe 20 years ago, my partner and I put in for moose between Ashton and Yellowstone. We drew the 1st time. The odds of drawing were something like 25% IIRC. California bighorn hunts were very east to draw but then some kind of disease hit them all across SW Idaho. They reduced the tags by about 50% and they've never come back up. Now. with the reduced tags and a lot more hunters, you'll wait for years to draw.
Originally Posted by iddave
Originally Posted by EdM

Correct.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by EdM

In Idaho it is 10% of the statewide quota. Once 10% is reached all non resident apps are removed and only residents are drawn then.
Technically a non resident can draw a unit with only 1 tag available since Idaho doesn’t have set aside resident/non resident tags.
A quota also applies to non-resident OTC deer and elk tags. They allot so many and they go on sale in December. They're usually sold out within weeks.
© 24hourcampfire