Home
As a follow up to this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17254648/re-nm-oryx-tag#Post17254648

My daughter and I headed to NM on Sat and arrived on Sunday afternoon. We met the guide, Casey, and checked the rifle and went to bed early, restless and excited. Monday morning, we left the hotel before 5am and watched the sun rise over the desert, while glassing for Oryx. We rode and glassed and rode and glassed as the sun climbed and the temps soared towards 102°. Around 2pm, a few clouds rolled in and provided some relief from the boiling sun which must have gotten the oryx on their feet.

We spotted our first oryx, a nice bull, near the trail, but he quickly trotted out of range before my daughter could get the gun set up on the sticks and ready. As we eased down the trail, we had only gone 1/4 mile when we spotted 5 more oryx about 170 yards from the road. I scrambled to help her get the gun on the tripod, while Casey glassed and ranged and gave her instructions on which one to shoot. Once the gun was on the tripod, it was all on her to find the bull and make the shot while I watched with my heart beating through my chest. She was cool and calm (way less nervous then Casey or me) and after a few seconds the 7mm08 cracked and the oryx hunched up and disappeared into the thick brush. He only ran about 50 yards and we saw a cloud of dust rise over the scrub brush and we were hopeful that he was down but still nervous. We waited for a few mins and quietly walked up the shot location. When we saw the pink blood splattered all over the sand, I knew that he probably hadn’t gone far. It only took a few seconds to follow the 3’ wide blood trail to her trophy and the celebration began. 140 gr Accubond with a near perfect heart shot! An awesome hunt and memories that will last forever with my daughter.

Attached picture 3484ED73-BCCF-47FE-8B19-696F9BFF7FFA.jpeg
Attached picture 0ABEDD43-53FC-4D77-945E-F33EF9CB94AA.jpeg
Attached picture 00AA7434-82C5-42EF-AA4F-A3D7D66F53D0.jpeg
Attached picture 7C3D4F07-C53B-4231-BC74-5A46ADDD4629.jpeg
Excellent! Congratulations to the successful young lady and her dad.
Nice!!! Congratulations to both you and your daughter.
And Oryx is some of the best tasting wild game meat I’ve ever ate.
Congratulations!
Fantastic! Congrats to you both!
Very cool - congrats to the young lady!
Congratulations!!!

Memories that will last a lifetime
Congrats nicely done
Awesome!! Thanks for posting.
Congrats to the young lady!!
What a beauty. Congrats to the young lady.
How so very cool. Congrats to you both!
Dang nice animal! Congrats to you both!!
Good job Dad. Tell her she did good. Edk
That's just fantastic. Congrats to both of you.
Congratulations to you both for making memories that will last forever.
Congrats to you both. Very nice oryx.
Congratulations to the young Lady on a successful hunt.
Sure the time spent on the hunt will be rehashed over the years.
Nice bull.....congrats....that's a lot of good meat there.
Good job! Glad everything worked out! Casey’s a good dude!
Heck yeah! Congrats all around.
Big congrats. Those off range hunts can be tricky....
NICE!
Congratulations to both of you
Congrats. Good job all around 😁
Very nice 👊🏻

Enjoy that meat, some of the best there is👍
Glad she shoots better than her uncle!!!!
Beyond cool
Wonderful and envious.
Congratulations!!!!!
Fantastic!
Well done young lady! Some fine eating is in store for your family!
I have also heard that their game meat is exceptional.
Wow! Congratulations to both of you. I loved hunting with my daughter.

What kind of tripod set up and how far was the shot?
Very nice!
Most excellent, Congratulations!
Doesn’t get better than that, that’s what it’s all about.

Congrats to the young lady.
Congratulations to the young lady on a successful hunt!!
Good shooting young lady! Congrats to you both, great memories! Thanks for sharing.
Congratulations!
So Cool!!
Congratulations to your daughter.
Special congratulations on using my favorite cartridge.
WOW!

Congratulations on a fantastic oryx.

Green with envy...
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
Good job! Glad everything worked out! Casey’s a good dude!
Casey was awesome! I was very nervous about it but he exceeded expectations. Highly recommended if you are inclined to hire a guide. Cross Country Guide Service is his company name.

We spent one day together and it felt much more like hunting with a friend than a hired guide.
Originally Posted by msuhunter
Glad she shoots better than her uncle!!!!
Lol

She may can outshoot me if she practices a little!!
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Wow! Congratulations to both of you. I loved hunting with my daughter.

What kind of tripod set up and how far was the shot?
. Bog Pod Death grip. It belonged to Casey, but I may have to buy one. They are nice!

167 yards and she clipped the top of the heart.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Special congratulations on using my favorite cartridge.
My favorite also. I’ve owned five of them now and this one may be my favorite, but I’m afraid my daughter has taken a liking to it……..
Congrats to you both!!
Shot one in Africa years ago. Good meat on one of those and they make a really neat mount. Well done to the young huntress.
Nice one! Congrats to the proud dad and deadeye shootin daughter!

Doc_Holidude
Congratulations! Very curious on the length of the bull. I shot a female and a bull in Botswana. Would like to know how they compare. Your bull looks very heavy. Compression rings? Fantastic hunt!
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
Congratulations! Very curious on the length of the bull. I shot a female and a bull in Botswana. Would like to know how they compare. Your bull looks very heavy. Compression rings? Fantastic hunt!

Several friends have asked me about the horn length and the honest truth is that I never measured them and they are now at the taxidermist. Size just wasn't a big concern, I guess. I did a quick "finger" measurement in the field and I think they are just under 30". Casey said the thought the bull was quite young, maybe only 2 years old, as he had no obvious rings on the bases of his horns. We definitely were not on a trophy hunt!! Casey asked my daughter early in the day, what she was after as far as size and bull vs cow, broke horn, etc..... Her response was that she would shoot the first one that stood broadside!! grin

I think he looks bigger than he is, due to the fact that my daughter is quite small.
very nice congrats !
Fantastic! Congrats to you both
Excellent! smile
That's awesome and looks like a great trophy to me! Congrats to your daughter! She done good!
Awesome! Congrats to her!
Very cool! Thanks for sharing and congratulations!!!
That my friend is a great hunting story!
Well
Done dad
Outstanding!!
Awesome! Congratulations to all of you on make memories that will last a lifetime right there! Thanks for sharing the pictures and story.
© 24hourcampfire