Home
Maybe Buzz or someone else can shed some light on this. Should thin some folks out I would think.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]baby boy names starting with p
Owwwww! Thats getting too spendy. I've been trying to draw area 7 for elk but point creep has had me one behind for the past few years. Not sure I'll spend that much.
And people complained about MT
That's real "special".
I have not heard or read anything about this.
Not sure about Wyoming. I know Montana is proposing some major changes for next year. All of which will limit current hunting opportunities for residents and non. Unfortunately the interest in western hunting is greater than the opportunity.
Tom, with the influx in new residents, I figured it was just a matter of time. Bet a price increase is on the horizon too
Damn! Doesn't look like I'll be doing many, if any, applications for special tags.

Thinking I may have to start contenting myself with bird hunts.
For the uninformed: Just what is a "special" tag?
Very simply put. ...You can pay less money and be put in the "regular" draw pool, or pay a bunch more money and be put in the "special" draw pool with better odds of drawing.

Wyoming game web site can explain it much better....
A bunch of draw rules changed last year geared toward resident preference. My guess is they are trying to make up revenue with out of state price increases.
Draw odds last year in general elk areas were almost identical between special and regular (4 points). If this comes to fruition, see some more point creep in the general elk regular draw. Sucks cuz I'm now sitting at 4 points and want to hunt 2023. I'll still put in and see what happens.
Originally Posted by Region6
Not sure about Wyoming. I know Montana is proposing some major changes for next year. All of which will limit current hunting opportunities for residents and non. Unfortunately the interest in western hunting is greater than the opportunity.
Exactly. It's really getting crowded out there. I wish idaho would just cut OTC non res permits all together and just raise the resident permit to make up the shortfall. This would thin things out and they could deal with the same budget while having better opportunity.
Getting so that hunting will only be for the Rich before long!
I'm glad I'm out of that game. As soon as I draw an antelope tag---I'm out of WY
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Originally Posted by Region6
Exactly. It's really getting crowded out there. I wish idaho would just cut OTC non res permits all together and just raise the resident permit to make up the shortfall. This would thin things out and they could deal with the same budget while having better opportunity.

I completely agree with you. And as stated by Region 6, the demand is outpacing the ability to provide in all the western states. It’s a mess.
Hunting is turning into a rich man’s sport and unfortunately I’m finding myself poorer! Anyone have any credible insight on this? I have a few elk n deer points but might say screw it if these prices are accurate!!
Originally Posted by slaptrigger
Hunting is turning into a rich man’s sport and unfortunately I’m finding myself poorer! Anyone have any credible insight on this? I have a few elk n deer points but might say screw it if these prices are accurate!!

Those prices are the special pool. The regular pool prices aren’t affected by this.
Unfortunately, hunting has always been a rich man sport.
Wowsers!

I am from Alberta, Canada an Elk tag costs $29.07 - Non Resident $112.54

A Deer tag is $29.07 - Non Resident - $96.23

Our deer hunting is exceptional with the biggest Whitetails in North America, our Elk hunts are nowhere as good as the USA though.
Originally Posted by Esox357
Unfortunately, hunting has always been a rich man sport.

Yes, the very rich....and the very poor.
The task force made the recommendation at the request of the outfitter lobby. Of course it made it out of the task force as a recommendation.

It will require legislative action and the price increases will not take effect until 2024. I would expect a lot of point dumping and point creep to go through the roof.

The recommendation that I don't want to see happen, that was discussed was to move the current allocations of NR licenses from 60% in the regular pool 40% in the special pool to a 50-50 split. If anything I think with the fee increases it should be 70% regular and 30% in the special pool.

This task force has been a huge disappointment to both R and NR hunters.
Buzz, thanks for the info!
© 24hourcampfire