Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Ruger American magazines - 11/21/22
I have one in 30-06 that's maybe 10 years old. The original magazine wouldn't feed the cartridges without hanging up. They send me a new one, and another new one. Finally the 3d one works ok. I tried winding the spring in one a turn tighter. That only made the cases stick tighter.

I'd like to get another one. Have they improved them any in the last few years? I don't want to pay for another crap one.
Posted By: 4570fan Re: Ruger American magazines - 11/21/22
No they are crap. I got a new Predator in 22-250 recently and the mag didn't even function as it was assembled wrong. I got it working but it is cheap junk. Bill Ruger would never have allowed mags like these.
Make sure to get the newer "stack" mags rather than the rotary mags. In fact, Ruger will probably send you a stack mag replacement for your original RAR, if you ask them again.
There would be more RAR rifles around here if their magazines weren't such garbage.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Make sure to get the newer "stack" mags rather than the rotary mags. In fact, Ruger will probably send you a stack mag replacement for your original RAR, if you ask them again.
Are they available in LA?
Not sure, but I would expect so. Worth a call, for sure.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Ruger American magazines - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The original magazine wouldn't feed the cartridges without hanging up.

I bought a new one, a Predator in .308, earlier this month. Wouldn't feed the second or third round reliably.

Took it back, because they offered to send it to Ruger for warranty repair free of charge. Instead of doing that, they swapped the magazine out of a rifle they had on the rack.

That one seems to work, feeding dummies in the shop, and live rounds in the bedroom (safety on). I'll take it to the range in a few days to give it a work out.

One thing I noticed with the original magazine, the edge of the case mouth would sometimes catch on the edge at the very front of the magazine. That might have been the cause of the hangups.

I thought of taking a round file to it to smooth out the inner edge, but we'll see if the new magazine works without messing with it.
One thing I noticed with the original magazine, the edge of the case mouth would sometimes catch on the edge at the very front of the magazine. That might have been the cause of the hangups.
My problem has been that the rounds don't come to the top. They hang up down inside the mag.
Who makes a stack mag for 30-06?
My understanding is that Ruger gave up on their rotary mag in the RAR and went to a stack mag (not the AI version). They have recently replaced the rotary mag with a stack version for some folks.
My understanding is that Ruger gave up on their rotary mag in the RAR and went to a stack mag (not the AI version). They have recently replaced the rotary mag with a stack version for some folks.
https://shopruger.com/Ruger-American-Rifle-4-Round-308-Multi-Caliber-Magazine/productinfo/90689/

Ruger doesn't show a comparable LA but a call may turn up something they don't list in their store.
Posted By: 4570fan Re: Ruger American magazines - 11/22/22
The 22-250 is an odd mag from the rest. See how the "flap" inside is vertical, mine NIB was horizontal, and rounds just fell in there. I repaired it it be like the picture plus added an extra turn, so far so good.

Attached picture 90573.jpg
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Ruger American magazines - 11/22/22
I have three original mags for my .308. They all worked, as long as you just put two rounds in them-which is OK. I called Ruger and they sent me three more. They were a bit better, but for the most part, the same issue. They do OK for my purposes, though. A stacked mag would be great for that rifle, though, as I really like mine.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Ruger American magazines - 11/23/22
What happened when you put in three?
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Ruger American magazines - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not feed right. Two is enough, anyway, with one in the chamber.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Ruger American magazines - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not feed right. Two is enough, anyway, with one in the chamber.
Good advice.
Too bad the mags are so sketchy. This rifle is arguably the most accurate value rifle ever made by an American firm. Kudos to Ruger.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Ruger American magazines - 11/25/22
I tried all the tricks on the original rotary magazines. the best fix is to buy the models that use a AI type or ar type mags. I've even done a 22 250 conversion into a Magpul stock using an AICS type mag .. those all run great .. not sure that that does any good in a 06 chambering ..
Ive had a RAR in 7-08 for several years now and have had no issues with my magazine feeding rounds.
Posted By: colodog Re: Ruger American magazines - 11/25/22
The fix on a 22-250 magazine is to replace it with a 450BM magazine. Mine works perfectly.

I've never heard of a work around for the 30-06 magazines...
Posted By: 4570fan Re: Ruger American magazines - 11/27/22
Originally Posted by colodog
The fix on a 22-250 magazine is to replace it with a 450BM magazine. Mine works perfectly.
Thanks, I'll look into that.
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Ruger American magazines - 11/27/22
My new 308 Predator mag feed’s with no issues. Even with NBT reloads seated as far as the mag will allow. From what I’ve read Ruger will sell the stock conversion to AI mags for around 20 bucks. Going to call them Monday and see.
A couple buddies have had good luck buying the parts from ruger to convert their SA Americans from rotary to aics style mags. Iirc the parts were like $30 direct from ruger but not sure they sell a La versions.

One friend used the PTG conversion for a LA American and said it was pretty simple to install.
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
A couple buddies have had good luck buying the parts from ruger to convert their SA Americans from rotary to aics style mags. Iirc the parts were like $30 direct from ruger but not sure they sell a La versions
I've done the same with a RARP 6.5CM. Worked fine.
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
My new 308 Predator mag feed’s with no issues. Even with NBT reloads seated as far as the mag will allow. From what I’ve read Ruger will sell the stock conversion to AI mags for around 20 bucks. Going to call them Monday and see.
Let us know how it goes.
I did the AICS conversion on my 308 Predator LH. A phone call to Ruger Customer Service, with the debit card, and the parts were here in a few days. If I remember right, it was about $22.00 or so, with postage.
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Ruger American magazines - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Let us know how it goes.
Called Ruger today and the conversion was 19 bucks plus 6 for shipping. This does not include a mag. They confirm compatibility and color from your serial number. Mine is on the way.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Let us know how it goes.
Called Ruger today and the conversion was 19 bucks plus 6 for shipping. This does not include a mag. They confirm compatibility and color from your serial number. Mine is on the way.
Thanks! I'm going to go that route!
© 24hourcampfire