Home
Posted By: MTGunner Hawaii hunting? - 12/06/22
Has anyone hunted Maui for Axis deer? Need information about shipping meat back to Montana. MTG
Posted By: okie john Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/06/22
Tagged.

Okie John
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/06/22
I hunted Molokai for axis. Right next door.

I didn’t bring the meat home though plenty of folks have. Hawaii is a big fisherman destination and lots of folks bring their fish back to CONUS. I couldn’t imagine the outfitter and/or airport don’t have a system for keeping meat coolers or wax boxes frozen until ready to be loaded into the cargo hold. Have you asked your outfitter, assuming you’re using one?
Posted By: MAC Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/06/22
Hunted it when I was stationed there with the USN. But we ate everything there. Hunted lots of hogs and goats on Oahu and hunted Mouflon on Lanai. Never hunted on Maui.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/06/22
It can't be too hard, freeze it and drop in a cooler with some dry ice to ship home assuming you have access to a freezer in Maui. I hear Maui has too many deer right now, but land access to them might be the biggest challenge. I usually go to west Maui for a winter break but I'm going to try Kona this year to checkout the diving.
Posted By: Judman Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/06/22
Yes. Bone em out, freeze in the freezer, throw in yeti coolers,soft bags. Works great
Bought this last trip as I didn’t take one over with me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Usually take 1 or 2 of these. Island axis are smaller than a yearling Blacktail buck. Love huntin the island’s. Pretty amazing actually

No ice/dry ice btw.

[bleep] almost 20 years ago now

Posted By: MTGunner Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/06/22
Got ‘er done. MTG
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/06/22
Nothing to do with transporting, but weren't they trying to kill off all the goats on one of the islands a few years back?
Posted By: Rolly Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/07/22
Last time I noted that airlines won’t allow dry ice. Best to check before trying to use it.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/07/22
Originally Posted by Rolly
Last time I noted that airlines won’t allow dry ice. Best to check before trying to use it.
A google search found this:

The FAA limits you to 5.5 pounds of dry ice that is properly packaged (the package is vented) and marked. Airline approval is required. For more information, visit the FAA website.
It sound's like the FAA allows minimal amounts but the airline can reduce that to nothing. To vent it, you'd have to drill holes in the cooler. Got a $500 Yeti that needs vent holes?
Posted By: Whokalouie Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Nothing to do with transporting, but weren't they trying to kill off all the goats on one of the islands a few years back?

A few years back we helped thin out a few goats and hogs on the big island very close to where the lava is flowing now. A friend of mine that lives in Hilo got permission for us to hunt the Parker ranch. We stayed in the old cowboy quarters, it was a blast.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/08/22
Freeze it solid and bring it home in a cooler or fish box as checked luggage. I send customers back to Hawaii all the time from AK with frozen seafood in fish boxes and it's always fine. A yeti cooler would keep it frozen for days.
Posted By: Huntingfool270 Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/09/22
Hunted Maui about 7 years ago, asked the front desk at the hotel and told him I was going hunting and needed a freezer to store the meat in, he said to not to bring in dirty or bloody packages and he would take care of it. We butchered them in the field and put the meat into ziplocks and hide into a trash bag and the hotel let me store them in their walk-in freezer for the remainder of the trip in some cheap plastic ice chests with the lids off and the meat was frozen solid a few days later when we left. Duck taped the lids shut at the airport and flew home. You can bring your own rifle but it’s a paper work hassle in Hawaii so if you’re going with a guide I’d recommend just borrowing his when you get there.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by Judman
No ice/dry ice btw.

[bleep] almost 20 years ago now

Surprised they let you hunt without having ponytail and beard.
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/10/22
My Yeti Hopper 30 goes with me on all personal trips, regardless if hunting or not. I carry it on most times but do check it from time to time depending on the flight and weight. When bringing meat back, make sure it is frozen solid, packed well on gel packs, with no extra room. If you have much airspace, stuff towels in it. It will handle about 24 hours but the meat will be tempered so freeze immediately.

A hard cooler would be even better but can’t carry it on.
Posted By: ChrisF Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/11/22
MTG'er,
Glad to hear you got'er done! Hope it was a good hunt!...I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the meat. If there's any lingering questions, I know a bit about flying with meat in Hawaii.
Posted By: Ramblin_Razorback Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/11/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Rolly
A google search found this:

The FAA limits you to 5.5 pounds of dry ice that is properly packaged (the package is vented) and marked. Airline approval is required. For more information, visit the FAA website.
It sound's like the FAA allows minimal amounts but the airline can reduce that to nothing. To vent it, you'd have to drill holes in the cooler. Got a $500 Yeti that needs vent holes?

I think the rules were similar 15 years ago, and you didn't have to drill holes in your cooler, BUT the cooler couldn't be completely sealed up with tape because it had to allow gas (CO2 from the dry ice) to escape. Basically, as I recall, we had to tape it tight enough so the lid wouldn't fly open and spill the contents, but loose enough so it could burp off CO2 (or more likely a very slow, low flow CO2 leak), if it needed to. I think we had to leave the cooler unlatched, but taped enough to allow the lid to barely open enough for a little gas to escape.

Here's what FAA says on their website (see link below which has a link to the actual regulation):

"Packages must NOT be air tight and must allow the release of carbon dioxide gas."

FAA webpage about dry ice
Posted By: ChrisF Re: Hawaii hunting? - 12/11/22
I slung bags for the airlines in my younger days. Dry Ice was strictly prohibited in the pit (that was made clear during our training). Not sure now whether it was a United specific rule, or an FAA Rule...but looks like things have changed in the 30 or 40 years since.
Posted By: plumbum Re: Hawaii hunting? - 01/17/23
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
It can't be too hard, freeze it and drop in a cooler with some dry ice to ship home assuming you have access to a freezer in Maui. I hear Maui has too many deer right now,

They do

but land access to them might be the biggest challenge.

It is.
Posted By: plumbum Re: Hawaii hunting? - 01/17/23
Originally Posted by MTGunner
Got ‘er done. MTG

Details!
Posted By: MTGunner Re: Hawaii hunting? - 01/17/23
ChrisF, we onto Maui in this upcoming July. MTG
Posted By: spencer516 Re: Hawaii hunting? - 01/19/23
I bought a cooler from walmart. meat frozen hard. good flight back to illinois
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Hawaii hunting? - 01/20/23
Has anyone hunted Maui for Axis deer? Need information about shipping meat back to Montana. MTG

Much easier to hunt them in Texas.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hawaii hunting? - 01/20/23
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Much easier to hunt them in Texas.

AND cheaper.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Hawaii hunting? - 01/20/23
Can't think of 1 good reason to go to Maui, to hunt Axis, Texas is a lot closer and you can kill as many as you want, and you don't have to jump thru hoops to get your meat home. Rio7
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Hawaii hunting? - 01/27/23
If you do the dry ice, pull the drain plug in your cooler. If a soft sided cooler, leave the zipper cracked.

I’ve used my Yeti backpack cooler to bring meat home from all over without an issue. Freeze is solid before traveling home.

Brought my mountain goat home from Alaska in a fish box including, a twelve layover with no freezer. Don’t over complicate it.
© 24hourcampfire