Home
Posted By: LBP New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/04/23
Has anyone ever hunted goats around Clayton, NM? My son has a line on some landowner tags there.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/04/23
Great area! We have taken a few antelope in that area.
Posted By: redleg733 Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/04/23
Hunted that area a few years ago. On a ranch owned by a campfire forum member. Lots of Antelope in the area. Was a great trip and experience!
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/04/23
Yep. You’ll be in for a great time! Jealous!
Posted By: LBP Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/04/23
I’ve hunted New Mexico once for antelope back in 97 near Raton, goats were everywhere and plenty of nice ones, I’m hoping for the same around Clayton.
Posted By: LouisB Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/06/23
Unless things have changed, or there is something unusual at "that" ranch I cn not imagine a place in Clayton area that does not have Pronghorns.

Weather conditions this year may have significantly affected populations.

Years ago I was cutting across a place north and east of Wagon Mound and there were like 30-40 dead pronghorns in the snow in a couple of miles, so severe weather can drastically affect populations.

If you are looking for "record book quality, that may or may not be another matter.

Seems like there are one or two posters here that are from the Clayton area!
Posted By: LBP Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/06/23
Originally Posted by LouisB
Unless things have changed, or there is something unusual at "that" ranch I cn not imagine a place in Clayton area that does not have Pronghorns.

Weather conditions this year may have significantly affected populations.

Years ago I was cutting across a place north and east of Wagon Mound and there were like 30-40 dead pronghorns in the snow in a couple of miles, so severe weather can drastically affect populations.

If you are looking for "record book quality, that may or may not be another matter.

Seems like there are one or two posters here that are from the Clayton area!

Weather can definitely impact numbers. I’ve seen winter kills in Wyoming but not in Texas or New Mexico, no doubt it could happen though just not as likely.
Posted By: tx270 Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/06/23
That's a great area for pronghorn. I've hunted about 20 miles west of Clayton for pronghorn on four different occasions. Always see lots of goats.

Bill
Posted By: LBP Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/06/23
Originally Posted by tx270
That's a great area for pronghorn. I've hunted about 20 miles west of Clayton for pronghorn on four different occasions. Always see lots of goats.

Bill

Yes Sir 👍🏻
Posted By: Lslite Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/06/23
Great area,have seen some big ones all through that stretch of country.
Posted By: wytex Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/08/23
Lots of history in that area also, take time to look around.
Pronghorn also jump fences down in NM, just like a deer.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/08/23
Originally Posted by wytex

Is this a NM pronghorn characteristic only? Please explain. We guided antelope hunts near Tatum, NM for 16 years. I've yet to see a NM antelope jump a fence. Maybe we were too far South in NM, only Northern NM antelope do this?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/08/23
I have seen a few goats jump fences, but not many.Usually when big herds are on the move. Anywhere in NM around Clayton, east of old Fort Union and Las Vegas, Wagon Mound is good goat country.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/08/23
I killed 4 goats on 4 hunting trips in the Clayton, NM area.

Check out the Clayton Lake dinosaur tracks, NW of town. It's worth the side trip.

DF
Posted By: Buck52 Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/08/23
Originally Posted by wytex
I first saw an antelope jump a fence in 63. Until that time we’d always seen them go under fences. My dad said they must have learned that from watching deer. This was a ranch my grandparents had owned in Natrona county, WY since 1919.
Posted By: easttex Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/08/23
I have seen them jump fences south of Gillette WY on numerous occasions. I even made a point of having one of my young sons watch so that he could call bs when people say antelope never jump fences.
Posted By: Buck52 Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/08/23
Yes, nowadays we never see them go under the fences, but it use to be the main way they moved from pasture to pasture.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/08/23
Interesting.
Posted By: CRS Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/10/23
I have seen them jump fences on our place many times.
Posted By: gonzaga Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/12/23
They will jump fences and cattle guards like nothing. Having then run down county roads in front or beside me in the big brown wagon, I've seen it many times in this NE corner of NM. I've delivered all over in this part of the state...From Raton, Des Moines, Grenville, Clayton, Wagon Mound, Roy, Mosquero and everywhere in between. I used to deliver around Cimarron too and the CS has some monster Antelope too. ... I have been blessed to deliver in this area for 21+ years.

Good luck on your hunt.
Posted By: ipopum Re: New Mexico Pronghorns - 03/12/23
In Montana Goats went thru fences until ranches started using woven wire for the most of the fences. Then they jumped. Would clear a fence by 2 feet or more.
© 24hourcampfire