Home
Heh heh...

Just curious. My bet is that at the end of this thread the Nosler BT will have won the dubious distinction.

-jeff
Jeff,

Military stuff...jim
It gets my vote, although it's not really ahunting bullet. It's just used that way all too often.

Mike
Target hollow points?
One that hits the wrong place... period. No replacement for that. I'll take a 100 grain NBT out of a 25-06 into an elks lungs long before I'll take a 225 Partition out of a .338 into the grass bag. My vote goes to the original X-Bullet... who the hell know what was going to happen when they touched one of those off.

You're probably right though... there's an obvious distain for the NBT. It's my favorite bullet... but it will lose bad. ~JT
Originally Posted by DDP
You're probably right though... there's an obvious distain for the NBT. It's my favorite bullet... but it will lose bad. ~JT

The only way to overcome the bad press is to keep using it, posting pics, and telling guys about it. I wrote them off in the early 90's but with you guys saying they are better now, it is obviously time to give 'em another try.

So, my vote goes for the original version of the BT, and since I have shot up my supply, there's nothing left to vote for... grin

Military bullets filed off to a flat- nose profile will lay the smack down if put in the right place, cheap too.

As for the worst bullets, I'd say the worst are those put in cartridges that stress their design. The Wincester Power- Point is great in the 30-30, not so much in the 300 Win Mag.
Back in the mid-80's when I was just getting into reloading and a poor college student, I bought a box of Speer 130 grain BTSP's for my .270 Win. This is the only time, and the only bullet, I've ever used on game where I consider the bullet "failed."

I only shot three critters, a bear, bull elk, and whitetail buck. In every case penetration was very poor and numerous follow up shots were required. On the buck, the bullet took off a large chunk of hide and meat but did not penetrate the chest cavity far enough to kill it. Fortunately, with snow on the ground and blood to follow, a partner shot the buck a half mile away still going strong. I never used them on game again.
sierra 165gr hpbt in .308dia.....can explode in thick air....at the right speed.

Originally Posted by DDP
One that hits the wrong place... period. No replacement for that. I'll take a 100 grain NBT out of a 25-06 into an elks lungs long before I'll take a 225 Partition out of a .338 into the grass bag.

Agreed.......
Originally Posted by high_country_
sierra 165gr hpbt in .308dia.....can explode in thick air....at the right speed.

what speed would that be?
I like a lot of Hornady's stuff but their SST is not good.

RH
Hornady Interbond (Or as Jorge calls them: "Interbombs")
i'm not very fond of the corelokts, i tend to avoid them like the plague
TSX SUCKS . . .. . . .

(that was just for fun)

BMT
Scirroco I's, have no idea about the II's.
Originally Posted by southtexas

what speed would that be?

not too very far over 3500fps
yeah, that might do it....what cartridge? FWIW, they seemed to work pretty well in my '06 @ 2800...
300RUM and about 110gr of 8700 they are RADICAL on coyotes if they stay together.
Originally Posted by rockchucker
i'm not very fond of the corelokts, i tend to avoid them like the plague

+1
I would have to nominate the Nosler BT. It'll get the job done but destroys too much meat in the process. I have used them in the .300 H&H, .30/06 and .243. YMMV
I have also had the joy of flattening a .375 Hornady on an elk. Pic was posted a week or so ago ("A pic to go with the threads" here in GH). Very accurate practice bullet!
I wouldn't shoot Cor-Lokts at any animal except varmints....
They get my vote...
I cannot count the numbers of deer and elk me and my buddies have shot with Corelokts. Great bullets in my opinion.

I think all the bullets on the market today are fine for hunting if you actually hit them in the vitals. I must say, I have never gotten decent accuracy out of any of the Speers I have tried though.
The worst hunting bullet by far is........

the one sitting on the loading bench while your out in the field with out any.
My vote goes to the Federal "High Shok" or the now defunct Remington Bronze Point.

I think Corelokts are as good as most bread and butter bullets out there- at least as good as PP or STs.

I have had bad experiences with Ballistic Tips but I think they are pretty good in many situations.
Hornady SSTs
Please, please, please...don't ANYONE say "Match Kings."

oops shocked

bhtr grin
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
Heh heh...

-jeff

Doubious "muck-raker"........grins

bhtr
Winchester Silver Tips. And pretty much any cup and core boattail bullet. Now I have some experience with 130 gr Speer SP's in the 270, Its a good deer bullet and I have killed a bunch of white tails and Mule's with it. But not the Boat Tail version. I still have a few of those old Silver Tips laying around. God awful
Originally Posted by bearhuntr

I hope no one would be stupid and inhumane [enough] to use a non-hunting bullet to wound game with.

But before reading the post that inspired this one, I've seen more than my share of thin-jacketed Sierra bullets that came apart when they shouldn't have.

As for Nosler Ballistic Tips, they work great for me! Killed everything I've launched them at (mulies, elk and pronghorns). Sure Ballistic Tip's aren't as hard as I would like them and they can expand violently, but every bullet-design/brand can "explode" if not used within the "envelope" it was designed for- or just shoot one into heavy bone and see how much blood-shot meat is destroyed.
Jeff: You're so twisted........ grin Uh, by the way, are we allowed to list more than one?
Corelocs above 2,800, or so. Same at moderate velocities, good pills.
That Sierra pro hunter was the worst I've used.Interbond not too far behind.
I'd have to say any bullet that groups like crap out of your rifle is a lousy choice.
All the controlled this that or the other thing is pretty much meaningless if you cant hit what your aiming at.
I've shot 165gr. Sierra's out of my 30'06 killed moose like nobodies business.(2850fps)
I shoot 165 Interbonds out of my 300WSM, kills deer, and moose very well (3150fps)
I had a hunting partner killing deer and moose with a 70gr. 6mil wildcat and Nosler BT's at darn near 4000fps, put em in the lungs and everything was DRT before the muzzle blast died away.
My wife killed her first 6 deer with 130gr. Corelocts, out of her 270Win (3055fps) never recovered a single bullet. All of them were dead by the time we got there.
So yup it depends on a lot to make a bullet un worhty of hunting.
I guess my vote goes to inaccurate ones.

According to the great ballistician Lee24 it's the 120 gr TSX hands down....
This has been very interesting.

One thing I have learned by visiting various bullet factories, and sectioning and shooting various bullets in both test media and animals, is that most cup and core bullets are pretty similar. Jacket thickness and alloy, along with the lead alloy in the core, are all very close, whether we are talking Core-Lokt, Power Point, Sierra GK or PH, Hornady Interlock, etc.

There are exceptions. Some of the roundnose Core-Lokts still have the thicker jacket sidewalls that were originally part of every Core-Lokt, but haven't been seen in the PSP CL's for close to 20 years. The Speer boattails are not Hot-Cors, which use a fairly hard lead alloy, but are swaged from a soft lead alloy, softer than about any other "big game" bullet on the market.

But the rest of the cup-and-cores are pretty much the same bullet. One may have an Interlock ring, another may have hadsthe core dripped in as melted lead, rather than swaged. Other than that there is no vast difference in jacket or core.

Anybody claiming one is vastly superior or inferior to all the rest is, I suspect, coming to that conclusion on the basis of limited experience, perhaps even a sample of one. When impact velocity is moderate (and really big bone is avoided) they all tend to work pretty well.

I have also gone through my hunting notes on hundreds of big game animals taken over the decades (both mine and those that other folks shot when I was there), and found that cup-and-core boattails do not separate core and jacket any more often than square-based bullets. In fact, in my data they separated less often. I suspect that we have been told boattails come apart so often that we have started looking for it....

Nosler Ballistic Tips are designed to open violently. That is why they kill so well, and also why they chew up meat. You cannot have one without the other.

JB

Interesting notes JB, I did taxidermy for many years as a living. The interesting thing I saw there was that IF I found a seperated jacket/bullet it was almost always a boattail.

Beyond that everyone has their opinion and need. Thats what drives the debates. I personally love to blood trail animals, its part of the hunt, I hate bang flops. Its probably the over 100 bowkills and the archer in me... I also am an old tightwad country boy... I hate to see meat wasted so I hate destruction of meat. Probably part in fact that the old codger that started me hunting(Dad never hunted deer till after I started and then not much) taught me while I was in 4th grade to head shoot and trim every scrap... I'm not saying it was all correct, but it was how it was.

Bullet failures, have seen 2 from Sierra bullets. Both failure to expand at all. 2 Nosler Partitions that did not penetrate like I'd expected or demanded. I've seen exactly Zero failures in any of the Barnes offerings and that includes well over 100 animals deer size and up. Though I'm aware they may fail also, I've never seen it. So after the destruction noted in the BT series turned me off, I went away from them needless to say.

I am not sure exactly how to interpret the statement about BTs killing so well... all animals I've run any type X through are dead shortly thereafter, but I suspect its the shock effect, which does not instantly kill but does tend to instantly immobilize them while they bleed out.

And actually IMHO with a good fast X series you can have both, bang flops and much less meat destruction than the BT series though we'll never convince each other that the other is right/wrong. But it should keep ya employed a bit longer!

Jeff
Should note the reports of lodged projectiles or parts in tubes from the noted alteration. You will note a FMJ is typically open in the base, if you open in in the front one could see that a jacket and core could seperate going down the tube.... Just a reminder.

That being said my cousin was heck on deer for some years with a 39 dollar (circa 1990s) Nagant and ground off tips on the cheapy ball ammo.... Would run the water hose down the barrel after shooting corrosive... it was a beater rifle he kept on the tractor for yotes and meat and worked well!!

Jeff
I believe it was Rick Bin that stated "if you poke a hole in the lungs, it is going to die".

I can tell you, running a taxidermy shop gives me a lot of access to dead animals. I can tell you, a lot of animals I see are shot in the neck which is puzzling. The last four archery animals I have mounted were all shot in the neck! That is a big no-no with archery. I mounted an elk that was shot in the neck twice with an arrow. These guys were lucky that they found the animals they shot. I imagine a lot of "bullet failures" are actually "hunter aiming failures".
Just like lots of product failures.......

Any sierra.............. grin

oops shocked

bhtr grin

The man said HUNTING bullets........
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This has been very interesting.

One thing I have learned by visiting various bullet factories, and sectioning and shooting various bullets in both test media and animals, is that most cup and core bullets are pretty similar. Jacket thickness and alloy, along with the lead alloy in the core, are all very close, whether we are talking Core-Lokt, Power Point, Sierra GK or PH, Hornady Interlock, etc.

There are exceptions. Some of the roundnose Core-Lokts still have the thicker jacket sidewalls that were originally part of every Core-Lokt, but haven't been seen in the PSP CL's for close to 20 years. The Speer boattails are not Hot-Cors, which use a fairly hard lead alloy, but are swaged from a soft lead alloy, softer than about any other "big game" bullet on the market.

But the rest of the cup-and-cores are pretty much the same bullet. One may have an Interlock ring, another may have hadsthe core dripped in as melted lead, rather than swaged. Other than that there is no vast difference in jacket or core.

Anybody claiming one is vastly superior or inferior to all the rest is, I suspect, coming to that conclusion on the basis of limited experience, perhaps even a sample of one. When impact velocity is moderate (and really big bone is avoided) they all tend to work pretty well.

I have also gone through my hunting notes on hundreds of big game animals taken over the decades (both mine and those that other folks shot when I was there), and found that cup-and-core boattails do not separate core and jacket any more often than square-based bullets. In fact, in my data they separated less often. I suspect that we have been told boattails come apart so often that we have started looking for it....

Nosler Ballistic Tips are designed to open violently. That is why they kill so well, and also why they chew up meat. You cannot have one without the other.

JB

JB,

I still have a couple boxes of the older Rem Core-Lokts in 30cal 150gr. My uncle owned a sporting goods/bait shop back in the 70s. These were from his shelves in 1971, note the price:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On the boattail subject, I remember Ross Seyfreid reporting boattails loosing the cups easier than the flat bases. Although he explained why (claimed the flat base's cup gripped the core tighter) I never experienced or could understand his analogy.

MtnHtr
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck

I hope no one would be stupid and inhumane [enough] to use a non-hunting bullet to wound game with.

B

And yet happens everyday!
5 bucks too much...kidding
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Just like lots of product failures.......

Especially when a company ships a defective product in the first place. I am sure you have noted a lot of bullet failures on those massive 100 pound deer you are shooting.

I am sure you have noted a lot of bullet failures on those massive 100 pound deer you are shooting.

Still laffin.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Your scale must be broke,those critters wouldn't push much past 70lbs wink

There are so many variable is answering something like this and I've by no means used them all on game but one of the most tender I have used was the old Remington Bronze Points. They were meant to open very quickly but I only ever found schrapnel in my deer which is to say I guess, for deer, they worked.
Nosler ballistic tips and anything out a .243.
Originally Posted by HunterJim
Jeff,

Military stuff...jim

+1

Bob
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I am sure you have noted a lot of bullet failures on those massive 100 pound deer you are shooting.

[Linked Image]

???? So why were you still trying to feed this one??? laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Jeff: You're so twisted........ grin Uh, by the way, are we allowed to list more than one?

Sorry to stir the pot and disapear! Had a wedding to go to last night.

Yes, indeed! LIst 'em all!

One poster mentioned the Silvertips. I used one of those in a factory .358 load and it worked great... absolutely flattend a doe a 125 yards. But that's an unusual round; relatively slow and very big around.

-jeff
I would echo the sentiment that those which are placed poorly are obviously bad ones. I think it's quite predictable that bullets like the Nosler BT would be named in this thread. And sure we all have preferences in what we like a bullet to do to an animal besides, obviously, kill it humanely. But what else is there to say that hasn't already been said by Mule Deer (aka Steals Thunder laugh ), rost495, and others?
Is "Steals Thunder" his native name? :-) That's a good one.

I always tease my wife that her native name would be "Looks Good in Jeans". She likes that.

-jeff
Actually, even though I don't know him personally, I feel like I do know him more than just anonymously simply because he writes so well and I've always appreciated the stuff he pens for the publishers. Perhaps "Weatherman" would be an even more appropriate handle since I also suspect he "Kills Like Lightning".
Unfortunately a hole in the lungs is only a 99% guarantee it'll die... Bullet performing still helps a great deal. Having seen a double lung shot fail to kill...Of course animals always amaze me, some flop and some refuse to die.

Jeff
I would say any bullet that is inconsistent would be the worst. If using a solid for penetration or a vmax for vaporization I want it to work within its accepted design parameters.

I would actually lump the original X and original BT into the same place for worst, the X due to hideous accuracy and the early BT for inconsistent terminal performance. Obviously both have taken their lumps and were willing to modify designs to meet the demands of the market. Whether you belong to the "DRT" or "make two holes" school of thought the products on the market will match your expectations.
Good job on the moose.Nice and clean done that way.

You know what your doing thats for sure.Good job all around Steely.

But before reading the post that inspired this one, I've seen more than my share of thin-jacketed Sierra bullets that came apart when they shouldn't have.

As for Nosler Ballistic Tips, they work great for me! Killed everything I've launched them at (mulies, elk and pronghorns). Sure Ballistic Tip's aren't as hard as I would like them and they can expand violently, but every bullet-design/brand can "explode" if not used within the "envelope" it was designed for- or just shoot one into heavy bone and see how much blood-shot meat is destroyed.

There are many people that use match kings to hunt with.
Long range guys, mostly.
By the time the mK hits, it's down to a velocity that lets it expand well.
i donm't use them mind you, but I've shot a truckload of game kings over the years with no problems....
Cat
I've had very good success with Sierra Game King Boat Tails. No bullet failures to date, but I'm shoot factory loaded Federal Premium rounds, nothing "hot." Speaking of the military ammo, my dad used to shoot a lot of FMJ stuff when he came home from WWII. He killed many a deer with that stuff-and as the others said, the tips were filed off. I still have an old round of that "altered" ammo in my gun case. 'Guess you shot what you could afford when the money was tight.
A question to the group: It was always put forth to me that hollow points didn't make good deer bullets because the expanded to rapidly and tore up too much meat. What's the true story on this, because I know many people use them effectively on deer.
For me, the worst have been the SMK, SGK, NAB, NBT, and SGS........

AD
Mtn Hunter,

Those are exactly the sort or heavy-sidewalled Core-Lokts that developed their good name. If you sectioned one, you would find a LOT heavier jacket along the cylindrical part of the bullet than you would in today's "poinsted soft point" (PSP) Core-Lokts

JB
Jeff,

If you found the bullets doing taxidermy, am I wrong to assume that most would be under the hide, or at least in he rib wall? I mean, the animals would have been gutted, right?

It is actually pretty common to find the separated core and jacket under the hide on the far side of the animal, either with boatail or square-base bullets. Sometimes they are right together or the core is even inside the jacket, but loose. Sometimes they are apart, but normally nor by much.

As Craig Boddington has pointed out, so what? Especially on deer. All it means is that the bullet opened up wide enough to make a big hole inside the animal, and a big hole in the vitals is the main ingredient in killing power.

I only once found the core and jacket together on the 30 animals shot with Berger VLD's. In fact, only once once did I find the jacket and core resembling a jacket and core. Yet the animals all died pronto--and yes, much quicker than on average with an X.

Once in a while the jacket gets shed at the entrance hole. I have seen this twice in my life, though it may have happened other times that I didn't notice (especially in Africa, where on a cull the skinners are often too busy to look carefully on all of the dozens of animals they may proess in a day). Once was with a boattail cup-and-core, once with a square-base. In both cases the core went on inside and killed the animal.

My experience with XC's (both TSX and pre-TSX) is that they kill a lot quicker when cranked up above 3000 fps. Have seen some animals go 50-100 yards after being hit in the heart/lung with X's at lower velocities, even "fat" bullets of .33 and over. They are fine bullets, but on average I have found others to kill quicker.

It will be interesting to see how the new "tipped" TSX's work, especially the lighter weights they are bringing out. I have some of the light-weights on the way in all four bore sizes they are making. A 160 from a .340 Weatherby at 3500 or so? Should be interesting.

JB
Mule Deer,

You must be aware that Jeff likes to track, and even prefers it if they go a good way before dropping. grin

mathman
168 grain Sierra boat tail match through the lungs doesn't seem to even injure big game. 308 in 308 out just like a target arrow would do.

Wayne

Check out this video of the 300 grain SMK from a 338 Edge

http://www.defensiveedge.net/

Click on videos and then click on 338 Edge in Action
Right on!!

I've watched the video, and taken Shawn's LRH class and hunted at longer distances.

There is no secret about it. A 338 EDGE, Lapua, Allen mag and the like loaded with a 300 SMK is about the deadliest thing that can be fielded in the woods.

Ol JWP has a great link here, and it would do all doubters well to be a spotter behind a big 338 shooting SmK's for a day. The violence of impact at long ranges by these weapons is phenominal, and a high shoulder or lung poke with one of these will down an game animal with a quickness.

Damn those big 338's rock.

BTW JWP475. Congrats on that new Carlock rifle.

I don't know how Core-Lokts are on game, having used other bullets for that, but I do know that the 7mm 140gr. Core-Lokt bullets purchased in bulk are pretty accurate for silhouette pistol (IHMSA) competition out of my Contender 7 T/CU.

Sorry I can't answer the question; I just don't know.
DAL357
Originally Posted by POP

B

And yet happens everyday!

Some of "youse" guys couldn't recognize "glib" if'ns it slapped yer on the place you're sitt'n on... grin

bhtr
Jeff: WOW! What is a 338 EDGE?

The 338 Edge is the 300 RUM necked up to 338 Cal. with no other changes............[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by elkcreek
Right on!!

I've watched the video, and taken Shawn's LRH class and hunted at longer distances.

There is no secret about it. A 338 EDGE, Lapua, Allen mag and the like loaded with a 300 SMK is about the deadliest thing that can be fielded in the woods.

Ol JWP has a great link here, and it would do all doubters well to be a spotter behind a big 338 shooting SmK's for a day. The violence of impact at long ranges by these weapons is phenominal, and a high shoulder or lung poke with one of these will down an game animal with a quickness.

Damn those big 338's rock.

A great response from someone with experience... [Linked Image]

BTW JWP475. Congrats on that new Carlock rifle.

Thanks....
JB

Yes you are correct on the finds of bullets.... No failures, but only the thought that if it was a hard angling shot ever..... could not be nice MAYBE...

I'd suspect a good X type fast would be lightening, just not all that much my cup of tea really, the fast lights suck in the wind at long ranges and that and penetration is what I prepare for just in case. A few bad tastes in my mouth from not so light bullets years ago and I'm sold on heavy. From guiding, bang flops generally scare me...

But we've all got our rights!

Jeff
Last 168 SMK I saw ran through a deer, deer ran 20 yards spewing lung blood all over and was very dead and very easy to find.....
John

BTW I run 50 cal X in my beowulf well under 2000 fps, and they are pistol bullets, but every deer I've shot they take off around 50-75 yards like you say, very much so dead and bleeding. But no issue to find. Of course I'd bet if I needed to and shot bone I could change that.

And yes as another poster noted, I actually do enjoy following the clues to the game after its shot. Like a puzzle and very much part of what I enjoy in the field. Probably as noted, from my archery background, we always went back to the shack, waited, grabbed a few friends and worked the trail out. I've been on trails that lasted 5 minutes or less up to well over 6 hours, those long ones are very very satisfying and what I remember most, but again, thats just me... I dont' prefer 6 hour trails but I do enjoy waiting, and then snooping for 5-10 minutes to work it all out.

Jeff
Jeff,

Just funnin' about the trailing thing.

mathman
I am somewhat the same way myself. In fact some of my hunting companions think I am weird, because even if I see the animal go down after its death run, I will back-track it to see what the blood trail (if any) looks like, where the blood began, etc. I don't believe we can ever have too much knowledge about that sort of thing.

Plus I learned some years ago that, for journalistic purposes, it is better to know that an animal ran 37 paces after being hit than to guess 25, 40 or 50 yards.

One of my more spectacular trails was when I shot a scimitar-horned oryx a couple years ago on Texas. The rifle was my 9.3 BS wildcat, the bullet a 250-grain X at 2650 fps, range just about 80 paces. Hit the oryx (a 250-pound animal) broadside, in the sticking spot at the top of the heart and through both lungs. All the oryx tribe are tough, however, and she(!) backed up and looked like she was going to go down--but then suddenly recovered and ran off into the Texas brush.

Luckily it was not thick brush and the X left a fine blood trail. We followed it for maybe 50 yards, then one of us looked up and saw a white spot on the ground ahead. In its death run the oryx had run smack into a sizeable mesquite and broken off one horn! If it hadn'r run into the tree, it would have gone a little further. As it was, with the twists and turns through the brush the death run was still close to 100 yards.

JB
You guys who WANT a blood tracking job must not hunt blacktail in the rain like I do! I want 'em dead right there, if possible. That's why I switched from 7mm-08 to .358 for my blacktail rig. Having a deer run 100 yards into the rain forest with a minimal blood trail, like I got a couple times with the 7mm-08 and 150-gn NP's, at dusk, is a real bummer.

This deer left the most amazing blood trail I've ever seen. I shot this little buck last year with a 200-gn Interlock from my .358 at about 25 yards. He'd already spooked, which is why he was able to go so far. Anyway, he went about 150 yards (!) with this hole in him, leaving about a foot-wide swath of blood and lungs the whole way:

[Linked Image]

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about if i have to follow blood in the rain! :-)

-jeff
For the most part I would say that the really bad bullets have already been eliminated by the manufacturers, Silvertip being an example, and for my money, the Fail Safe was overrated unless it struck bone first.
Hmmmmm...the Silvertip seems to get bashed here a lot. My experience must be unique, 'cause they've been doing a great job on deer for me for several (5) decades, mostly in 270 and 257. Wish they still made the 100gr 257.

BTW, Winchester still lists them in 250, 270, 30/06, 30-30, 308, 348, and 358, on their website.
I used one in my .358 on a deer... worked great...

-jeff
Depends on what you're hunting and what with...
Yep,

Following a blood trail in wet weather or on really wet ground is a recipe for a lost deer. For this kind of work,nothing beats my 350 rem mag or 35 whelen with 200 grain bullets at 2700-2800 fps.

This year,I'll try the 338 federal with 180 accubonds and 200 grain fusions. Last year I used a 30-06 with 180 Accubonds and it worked well but did not have quite as much smackdown effect as the 35s.

Britt
I call my .358 my "little Whelen". I get in the mid 2600's with 200-gn bullets so it's not a stretch. Which 200-gn bullet are you using, Ruraldoc? Oh, and I have this pain, right here...

:-)

What's the recoil like on a .350 mag?

-jeff
Britt, Jeff:The brush hunters back here like 35 Rems and 30/06's with round nose Rem and Win Power points.We got rain and heavy cover here, too, ya know. Plus, we got the Benoits!
I've always wanted a .35 Rem...

An '06 loaded with a heavy roundnose bullet would certainly be one heck of a deer hammer, no doubt about that!

I really like the .358 in a Model 7; what can I say.... there are many tools that will do the job but I'll tell you what, that one REALLY does the job!

-jeff
Heh heh...

Just curious. My bet is that at the end of this thread the Nosler BT will have won the dubious distinction.

-jeff

Well, in my experience, the Ballistic Tip IS the worst I've dealt with..............but I haven't read the rest of the thread grin

Casey
Alpinecrack: I will bet the Berger target bullet will clamor for top dog here, before a couple of seasons have pased...
Actually, the worst I've ever seen personally (in action - which is different than cleaning up what other people have started) was a 50 ( I think) grain Sierra Blitz or something similar - a varmint bullet - which I carried loaded in a M788 Rem in 22-250. (I was along for fur when we ran into a stray herd of caribou - a first at the time.) Anyhow, the first round I touched off into the chest of the first 'bou whicj peeked over the top of the hill we were waiting behind. After that, shots were at running animals. My second shot blasted another animal, but a bit back of where would have been ideal. Old lightening-250 surely dumped than animal as well in a pink haze. Not surprisingly, however, she got back to her feet and followed the rest of the herd in their effort to put miles between us. She stuck with them too for about two miles before she laid down. When I finally caught up she was hiding behind a scrawny willow. With only face for a target, I did what I could and pasted it, missing the center in my haste. Only momentarily stunned, the adrenaline she was packing allowed her to regain her feet quickly anyway and I stuck a final shot into her chest as she faced me. I have used many Ballistic Tips, always easily lethally, though not always to my complete satisfaction in terms of wasted meat. Still they work and waste is generally more a fault of poor placement. Those varmint bullets in a 22 CF were the epitome of "worst" in spite of the caliber itself. (Hornady varmints have done no better when not perfectly placed either.) I have used even smaller 22 CFs on caribou in later instances and with proper bullets to my complete satisfaction.
Jeff,

I like 200 grain Hornady spire points at 2700-2800 fps in the Whelen and 350 rem mag. Bob is right about 200 grain round nose core lokts in the 35 remington. I really can't tell any of the 35s apart at 100 yards or less. The little 35 remington in a Marlin 336 kills deer and hogs with knockdown effect that is all out of porportion to its mild recoil and blast.

For a pure woods cartidge,the 35 remington is tough to beat. When shots tend to be longer than 100 yards the Whelen and 350 Mag give you that slam knock down effect out to 300 yards or so.

By the way, the 200 grain hornady spire point gives BIG exit wounds and massive amts of blood to follow but the critters are generally right there on the spot. The amount of blood on the ground looks almost like a Charlie Manson murder scene that produces a trail Ray Charles could follow.

Britt
Yeah, I agree: that 200-gn Hornady SP makes big holes. I posted a pic of an exit I got last year, earlier on this thread... that deer happened really fast, there was a group of them sniffing a doe on the hillside above me, presumably, that I didn't see until they broke cover. A couple of them apparantly didn't know WHY they were breaking cover and ran right in front of me. It was 2 days left in the season, and I was stressed out about missing any more time from working, and I'd decided to whack the first legal buck I saw when this LITTLE feller ran in front of me at about 25 yards. I shot him, and he kept running like nothing had happened! I couldn't believe I'd missed until I went over where he had been at the time and there was a bucket of blood and lungs all over the ferns. And a blood trail about a foot wide, for about 150 yards (!), leading to a very dead, bled out, young deer.

-jeff
Yeah, I agree: that 200-gn Hornady SP makes big holes.
-jeff

So does a 440 grain flat point hard cast at 950 FPS out of a 500 JRH I am holding a 300 Win Mag for size comparison

[Linked Image]
What's a 500 JRH?

-jeff

It is a shortened (1.385") 500 S&W with the rim diamater turned down enough to fit in a Freedom arms revolver.......
I have had terrible luck out of Speer Grand Slams in .308 180grs. In three different .308s, and one .300 Win Mag, I have yet to have shot one acceptable group. It doesnt matter how good terminal performance is supposed to be if you cant hit anything with it. The new ones are supposed to be better, but I already have alot of better bullets, and not much patience to buy more and try them again.
It's funny that any company would make an INaccurate bullet, considering the nature of bullets and all, but they do...

The original X bullets were like that for me. DAMN those things were a waste of money, in the two rifles I tried them in!

-jeff
I've found GS's to be very easy to get to shoot.
I honestly can't say what is the worst hunting bullet as everything I've used from Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Nosler, Swift, Sierra, Speer, and a few others has worked well. Game that has been shot has gone down within a few seconds of being shot.

I do expect some day that the law of averages will catch up to me - just don't do it when a grizzly or brown bear is charging me.
© 24hourcampfire