[Linked Image]
Posted By: STA Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 09/01/07
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This hunt was with Tuttulik Outfitters in Quebec. The first two photos was a bull my freind Bronsen shot with his bow. The next bull I shot with my Kimber Montana 325WSM at 130yd. I just got home I dont have all the photos yet. The hunt was awesome there was 10 of us and we killed 20 Caribou and 3 black bear.
Nice job and great photo's,looking forward to seeing the rest.I think ya may have been slightly under gunned wink
Great pics! Nice width on those animals and a real pretty place to hunt.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 09/01/07
Congrats!
Looks like that 325 done good for you.
smile
Congrats! Just finished my own caribou mount today from a few years back in AK and hung it at home. Good timing on the photos!

Jeff
Posted By: STA Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 09/02/07
Thanks for all the kind words. The 1st bull I shot is about the same size as my 2nd bull. The 1st one was maybe 200yd it was a one shot kill bang-flop. The group I was hunting with it was 6 rifle hunters and 4 bow hunters. I was killed out the first day grin . The bow hunters kept using my rifle lol I would go out on the hunts and if the caribou was to far to shoot thay would use my rifle. At the end of the hunt my gun had shot 6 caribou and 1 black bear all pass through. The Barnes 180gr TSX bullets worked great!!
randy
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 09/02/07
Congrats Bud

Good Job Randy.Sweet looking bou.Glad you connected.

Late for work

Take care
Mike
Nice!!

Mike
Posted By: Scotty Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 09/02/07
Congratulations! Nice caribou.
awesome! that is a hunt i want to do so bad!

Are those two shots or just one?
Good job!

Of course we'll need blow by blow details.............. smile
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
awesome! that is a hunt i want to do so bad!

Are those two shots or just one?

Yes it was 2 shots. The first shot the bull was dead on his feet he went 5yds and stopped and looked at me so I shot him agen. grin
randy
Do they hunt them later on when they are hard antlered? I love velvet on lots of things but for Caribou and Moose for some reason I just don't care for it. Kinda curious as my inlaws want to do a hunt as they are not cut out for the DIY type of drop off AK hunts that I prefer so we need an easier go round for them.

Cost estimates on hunt? PM if you prefer.

Thanks, Jeff
Originally Posted by rost495
Do they hunt them later on when they are hard antlered? I love velvet on lots of things but for Caribou and Moose for some reason I just don't care for it. Kinda curious as my inlaws want to do a hunt as they are not cut out for the DIY type of drop off AK hunts that I prefer so we need an easier go round for them.

Cost estimates on hunt? PM if you prefer.

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, The hunt was $3200.00 and $1600.00 in airfare for a total of $4800.00 US. I like the hard horn look to so I just striped the velvet off..
randy
I would think that you could hunt them later in the year for the hard horn. This is a photo of some we stripped.
randy..

[Linked Image]
Randy

Were the tips on the antlers rubbery?
Yes, Very rubbery! After we stipped them and let them out side thay got hard in 3 or 4 days.. Thanks for the tip on the bug spary the black flies where tarrible.
randy..
Anytime Randy.

Glad you had fun.How's the steak?Must be some nice eating.
Thanks, I'm kinda picky doing taxidermy, those rubbery tips and all... nothing ever quite looks right stripped.. I can spot those from across the room, hence my question. My only caribou was hard antlered and looks much better IMHO. Not taking anything away from you at all. Just got done dealing with a small velvet moose rack that will stay velvet.
Did ya use a bug suit and spray? Ever try Badger Bug Balm? Just used it in AK and it worked pretty good. Easeir than sweating deet into my eyes....
Plus I like hunting colder temps.... just me.
The caribou meat is great! Its a lot better than deer.
I didnt have a bug suit. Just a head net and gloves and a lot of bug spray grin
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 09/03/07
Wait till ya pop a freezer full of moose.....grin
Great photos and congratulations. If you don't mind me asking, is that rain gear are you wearing in the photos, and if so, what kind and how did it work for you?
Posted By: STA Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 09/03/07
A freezer full of moose sounds like a hell of alot of fun....grin cool
It is.Hey whats up with the glass by your pup.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Great photos and congratulations. If you don't mind me asking, is that rain gear are you wearing in the photos, and if so, what kind and how did it work for you?

Yes it Cabela's MT050 and it worked great it blocked the wind & rain and is very quiet wink .
link.. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ex&parentId=cat601688&id=0005232
Mike that a leather sofa in the background of the photo. His name is General P.G.T. Beauregard I let him in the house to take his photo.
Sorry Randy the magnify glass by your name next to campfire regular..Heck my dog sleeps in my bed.Good looking dog ya got there.
lol.. Mike what kind is your dog?
pm sent
Thanks for the link, RL.

Looks like your hunting season is off to a good start!!
Posted By: STA Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 09/04/07
Yes, I am off to a dam good start. I hope it will be a good hunting season for all here at the Campfire. smile
randy
Posted By: 340boy Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 09/04/07
Randy needs to have an AC4400 as his avatar, if you ask me.... grin grin
Tim, I will be running one to Memphis tonight.. grin
randy
Posted By: 340boy Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 09/04/07
Sounds good to me Randy!
Sounds like you gave that 325 a heck of a workout.
smile
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 09/04/07
Originally Posted by RL KURTZ
randy

Swing by Graceland for me.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 09/04/07
Congrat's on a great hunt!! But, you know those TSX's just pencil through!!! grin

Tim, The 325 Montana did great half the camp was using it instead of there bows..grin.. not one caribou or black bear went over 15yds and most just dropped in there tracks.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Originally Posted by RL KURTZ
randy

Swing by Graceland for me.

Will do. cool
Originally Posted by Huntr
Congrat's on a great hunt!! But, you know those TSX's just pencil through!!! grin

So that what they tell me laugh . I believe this combo would be good up to but not including brown bear. Just my opinion. Thats where my 358STA steps in.
randy
Posted By: Lt_H Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 09/04/07
Congratulations! Quick question, How many times did he roll over when the 325 hit him? smile
I just wish they made a gun that would quarter and packout all in one shot.. grin
I don't think you made a big enough hole?
Posted By: STA Re: Photos of my Caribou hunt.. - 10/02/07
AntelopeSlayer welcome to the Camefire :GRIN: That hole is two shots not one but I will try to do better next time.. :GRIN:
randy
Jeff,

My son and I just did a fly-in drop off in the Brooks Range. His bull had a great rack and was in full velvet. Got mine two days later, was almost as nice and did not have a bit of velvet. Saw moose that were out of velvet also. The hunt was August 31 - September 9th.
Cool pics. Sure looks like you put a hole in himgrin.....dang!

HoundGirl

Nice pictures, sounds like you had a great hunt.

Keep up the good work. grin
HD
Looks like that 325 taught him a lesson!
Rost,
You might also look into Jack Hume Outfitters for a Quebec Caribou hunt. The camps are smaller and the cost is roughly the same. We usually do DIY in the lower 48 but did their semi-guided (they point you in the right direction) and had a blast. Its well suited for all abilities as the day we left a party of six including grandpa, his two sons and their three kids arrived in camp, and had an animal down before we were in the air back to Schefferville.
PM me if you need more info....
OSD
© 24hourcampfire