Home
Posted By: CAS Decisions, decisions........ - 10/11/07
Leaving for an out of state Mule Deer hunt next week. I took two rifle to the ranch to burn some powder, now I can't decide which one to take. Plan was to take a 300 Roy I am working on, but I haven't had time to finish it yet.
[Linked Image]

On the left is 'Ol Faithful. She's just about given up the ghost on her second barrel, but still reliably hammers round 1 into the same spot, every time. It's a 700 based 7WSM with a custom mag box that feeds super and holds 3 down. It used to be a sub-1/2 MOA rifle, but has slipped to about a 1.25 MOA rifle now.
I'm running 140gr TSXs at around 3300fps.

On the right is a 257 Roy that I recently completed. It has a custom mag box and follower that allows 4 down and it too feeds like nobody's business. So far, it has proven itself as a sub-1/4 MOA rifle out to 300+ yards, and last weekend I hammered a 5 shot, 500 yard group a hair under 2" with 100gr TSXs at around 3500 fps.

Ol' Faithful weighs 7lb, 8oz, and the Roy weighs 8lbs, 7oz. I'm perfectly comfortable with both, and can't decide which way I want to go. We will be hunting several miles back in, so weight will be an issue. However, we will also be hunting some BIG, open country so shots could very well be fairly long.
Which one are you more confident on making the shot with?

John
I vote for the .257 Roy, only because I want one and I can truly see YOU using this lovely rifle.

Steve
For me and for serious hunts a rig that I have the most time with and am the most intimate with is the one to go to.

When I am traveling I want a proven honest rifle and one that I can go to in clutch time when the chips are down.

No doubt I would go with the old friend.

Take the other for a backup.

Dober
Flip a coin, they both sound awesome!!They are both beautiful and they both will flatten deer all day long. If you are doing a ton of hiking I would pick the lighter rifle. If you think you will need to snipe one at 500 yards go with the 257 wby.

Hell, bring em both............

I second the flip a coin idea, either will handle mulies.
Anything named 'Ol Faithful would be my pick if I can't decide.

-Lou
New blood, start fresh. Out with the old.

Then when you get back....order a new pipe for the Old Girl.
Its hard to leave an old friend home................
Posted By: CAS Re: Decisions, decisions........ - 10/12/07
I am sort of leaning towards Ol' Faithful, just because she's done so well for me over the past years (and because she weighs about a pound less). However, picking off soda cans, first shot, 5 out of 5 times at distances from 420 to 500+ yards with the Roy is a strong argument for the newcomer.

Even Ol'Faithful had to have a first hunt somewhere, break in the Roy.
Roy
CAS - you can't make a bad decision with your choices listed. I'm with Mark though. I have an old wood/blue 280 Rem that when something needs killed it comes out of retirement. Have lost track of the number of "tough shots" it has pulled off. I've owned it since 1982 - its like family smile
SOunds like you have confidence in both. Either will do the job, but traveling out of State, where weight will be a concern and with the name "Ol Faithfull", take the tried and true.
Posted By: DMB Re: Decisions, decisions........ - 10/13/07
I'm with the "take them both" gang.
But, I would use the Roy as my main rifle.

Don
Take 'em both..........I always take 2 guns on an out of state hunt or any trip where I'll be gone several days.

Schitt happens; horses rub trees, fall down on rocks, drop gun climbing.....always best to have a spare in camp.

Flip a coin as to which one is used 1st; it's a no lose deal as both are very nice guns.

I'm in the same boat for an upcoming trip as well.

Good Luck.

MM
Posted By: SKane Re: Decisions, decisions........ - 10/15/07
CAS-

If you're less than two hours from home, both should go with.
I'm with the "take em'" both gang. While I've never had a malfunction or breakdown on a hunt, one of my spares has been loaned out to another hunter on more than one occasion. We spend too much money/time on hunts to be caught off-guard.
Roy
Posted By: CAS Re: Decisions, decisions........ - 10/15/07
Shot today with no clear winner. First shot connects are a given with either.

I am not going to take both, as we will be hunting dark to dark every day, and I am not about to leave one of these rifles in camp with nothing protecting it but the wall tent.

Tuesday we will run the rifles to 600 again. I'll keep shooting until one speaks to me.
Out of state? I wouldn't consider taking only one rifle on such a trip. You have two great rifles - take both.
I hunt out of state every year, and never take a second rifle. There will be enough rifles in camp should anything drastic happen.
Mr. CAS:
As one involved in the eternal search for the magic combination, and despite the writing of Mr. Mule Deer who says it might not be out there, I�d have to try the one I�d tried the least.
I mean what if the .257 is �it� for you? It shoots, (and how!) and 3500 is a very interesting speed for any projectile to begin at. You can always fill your mule deer tag and then burn coyotes out to tomorrow if you take it.

Good luck on that hunt.

Dwayne
I hear you on the not wanting to leave a nice rifle in the wall tent! I always do it anyway, but I don't like it.

Locking it in a vehicle is one notch better... though the only gun i've had stolen, was stolen from a locked glovebox inside my locked truck.

I will be taking two rifles to elk camp, just because they are very different.

Anyway, my vote would be the Roy. With a barrel that far gone on ol' Faithful (I have one of those too, the 30-06 with the Jewell we've talked about), you just never know when the next shot is the "last" shot. As in the last accurate shot.

But you are in a good position- two good rifles!

-jeff
CAS....shots over 150 yards are just unethical....so either will work at that distance.

I'm kidding of course!! Take the 257 Roy and get some good video of that muley "going down like lightning" as a wise man once told me smile

Can't wait for the 600 yard range report, keep us posted. I'll be at the range tomorrow with my Roy as well, fine tuning a little for next weeks adventure in Colorado.

J

[quote=CAS] I hammered a 5 shot, 500 yard group a hair under 2" with 100gr TSXs at around 3500 fps.
quote]

This is the one!

As far as the other one, it has been such a good old friend you may want to keep it in it's current configuration for memories sake.
Holy cow! I just saw that I mistyped the velocity of my 7WSM load. It is actually around 3200 fps, not 3300. (3185 actually). Dang, 3300 would be SMOKIN'!

Cas,
Would like to hear more about the .257. Who make the barrel etc.?
It is a Lawton stainless #3 barrel, 10 twist at 26".

It ended up a bit heavier than I wanted, because the radius from cylinder to straight taper is quite a bit meatier than I wanted. That said, it still balances well, so no big deal.

Blueprinted Winchester Classic Stainless action, custom mag box and follower, tuned factory trigger, safety timed, factory bottom metal (will be swapping to Blackburn, should Ted ever deliver). Williams extractor.

Brown Precision stock, painted black with brown speckling.

Custom bases by Mike Scherz, Talley rings, and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX III. It is coated in my own coating to match the Leupold scope.
Originally Posted by CAS

I am not going to take both, as we will be hunting dark to dark every day, and I am not about to leave one of these rifles in camp with nothing protecting it but the wall tent.

CAS-what part of the state are you packing into and are you bringing your own stock to pack in your camp? Going on your own and or guided?

Thx

Dober
Posted By: CAS Re: Decisions, decisions........ - 10/16/07
The pickup will make it into camp. It's about a 20 minute drive from camp to our dropoff point each morning, and about a 2.5 hour walk from there to the ridge we will be hunting.

May spend a few nights on the hill, depending on weather and pressure. If we run into anyone (we normally don't) we will head in a bit farther.

It is all on our own. I have never been on a guided hunt, not that I have anything against it.
I guess I got the inpression that you were packing in as you said you could only leave the 2nd rifle in the wall tent. So, I thunked that you would be packing in and not having a truck around anywhere.

I can tell you're not crazy about the idea of bringing a second gun along as you'd have to leave it back in camp. You could leave it in the rig instead of the tent. Sure it isn't super safe but in all honesty I couldn't imagine traveling from sunny Cali to Montana and only bring one rifle along.

Now if one of the other fellas is bringing along a back up, I guess I could see not bringing a second. But, I'd still way prefer to bring one of my own rigs.

I always keep a good old extra rig around that isn't a big money rig to go to camp with me for trips like this.

I'd certainly encourage you to bring along a second rig that you're familar with.

What part of the state will you be traveling and hunting in?

Many thx for your time

Dober
Mark,

We are going to be near the edge of the Sawtooths. There is some great views of them from the top of a couple of ridges.

We set up a base camp with three wall tents, two for sleeping and one for eating/cooking. It isn't exactly roughing it, the way we go. I'll snap a few pics of our setup to post upon my return.

I'm not worried about the rifles. Either way, I will be bringing an extra trigger assembly, FP and spring, and scope, plus the tools to fix it. Further, I have done almost all of the load development on every rifle in camp (hell, I put most of them together), so i am not fretting running a partner's rig at all.

If I get to the place where my rifle is busted beyond repair, and there are no rifles left in camp for me to shoot, my problems run far deeper than needing a rifle.

Sounds like you're all set, have a super trip!

Dober
By the way CAS-where on earth are the Sawtooths in Montana. I've lived here for 29 years and I've never heard of them?

I know of the ones in Idaho but not here.

Thx

Dober
Montana? You lost me confused

I'm going to Idaho. Not sure where I left the impression that I was going to Montana.

It's going to be great, there are TWO Cabelas stores on the way. Nothing like looking for new toys on your way to play!
crazyok , so I'm the lost one...grins

A good bud of mine from over that way has taken some really outstanding bucks.

You should have a good hunt.

Dober

I'm sitting here with the Roy in my lap. It is awful tempting............

Tomorrow will be the showdown at the CAS Corral.......
I'd be surprised if the Roy don't make the trip.........
Looks like 'Ol Faithful is making the trip. It is almost eerie how she slams the first shot into the same spot, every single time. It's like I can't miss with the darn thing.

The Roy made a good run at it, and by the numbers it should have won. It shot better, dropped less and drifted less.

Besides, 5+ hours of walking every day will probably make me appreciate the 1 pound lighter weight of the WSM.

I do have a funny feeling that either would do the trick, though.
I'd take Magic, it lived up to its name...........
smile Just got back from the range myself and was going to PM to see what you had decided.

I'm disappointed the Roy isn't going for a vacation, but I'm sure the WSM appreciates getting out in the fresh air as well.

You going to FedEx her to me?
Jason,

Maybe I'll take Roy just to make you happy smile
Posted By: Daveh Re: Decisions, decisions........ - 10/16/07
Roads - Details!! I now know it'll never leave Alabama.
All though the hunt was short, I'm beat. I'll be back in AL shortly and will report.
© 24hourcampfire