Home
Actually, it works equally well both in the wide-open or inside the tent. But your tentmates would probably prefer you use this method, alone, in the privacy of the vestibule.

Since one thing so often leads to another, whiz outside first. Spewing such liquid on tent walls is sure to bring a scowl or two.
Then gather together: a gallon Ziploc, a roll of TP, and four connected paper towels (and not the cheap stuff). Fluff open the bag for quick & easy access, and set aside. Place the TP in a handy spot. Fold the paper towels in half along the perforation.
Assume the squat, positioned such that the center of one of the two exposed squares is the target (this might require some practice). Do your duty. Wipe as needed, plus once more, and place each on top of you-know-what. Then fold the two end corners of the target square over the pile. Then roll that bundle twice towards the clean square. Fold in the sides and finish rolling into a compact package. Place into the Ziploc, turn your nose away and gently squeeze out excess air, and seal. When convenient, but preferably after the steaks have finished cooking, drop into the campfire. Voila!

It might sound a little goofy, but I've found such to be a clean and efficient way to handle things, especially during inclement weather.

Just what I always wanted to learn! smile

Cheers!

MtnHtr
That is friggin' disgusting! Go find a tree, for Pete's sake. If you can't take the weather for the 2 minutes it takes to unload, you shouldn't be hunting out of a tent in the first place.

About the last thing I want to do around a campfire is breathe in someone else's turd smoke, and anyone that even considers dropping shop in my vestibule will never again be invited back to my camp.

Heck, as simple as farting in the cook tent, even once, earns one dish duty for the remainder of the trip. No sense in living like animals.

You gotta be chitten' me!

I think to enhance the combustibility of the feces a few swigs of lighter fluid a few times a day might be a good idea.
I'm thinking that the responders so far must all be bachelors and have never shared diaper-changing duties.
Cas, you find me a tree. While you're at it, find me a forest sufficient to block Wyoming's 30 mph winds that blow the snow sideways, snow falling in Evanston but not landing until it reaches Lusk. grin

[Linked Image]
What is wrong with walking out behind some sage with a shovel and taking a dump? If it's snowing then wear your raingear and drop your drawers, keep your TP & baby wipes in ziplocs.

That's my advice for taking a dump, nobody takes a chit in my tent (or my truck)!!

MtnHtr

Is that where you hunt? There ain't no trees. No trees=no asswipe=south gonna rise again. We got trees. grin miles
Hey, feel free to chit in your tent all you want, just rest assured you won't be doing the same in mine. I'd personally take a sagebush over [bleep] in my bedroom.

And having been a single father of an infant, I can assure you that I have dealt with my share of stinky fecal material. The thought of cutting loose a loaf in my tent has never crossed my mind.

Rock on, bake all the bagged turd loafs your heart desires.
And the loaf pincher killed a hell'va blacktail........ eek

MtnHtr
What does your therapist say about your potty training? smile laugh
Every now and then I take along some mesquite chips to put in the coals and flavor the steaks, but I never thought of using plastic wrapped turds......
There's more reason than just to experience the wild's solitude to be the last to bed, enjoying 'private' time around the campfire. grin

I'm almost sorry I brought this subject to a head.

I'd considered Jeff Olsen's idea, a photo essay, but decided against it.
I suspect there was a bit of tongue in cheek in your first post but throwing turds in the 'fire is kinda of absurd IMO.

Man who dances with turds??????????

Mtnhtr
Originally Posted by CAS
That is friggin' disgusting! Go find a tree, for Pete's sake. If you can't take the weather for the 2 minutes it takes to unload, you shouldn't be hunting out of a tent in the first place.

About the last thing I want to do around a campfire is breathe in someone else's turd smoke, and anyone that even considers dropping shop in my vestibule will never again be invited back to my camp.

Heck, as simple as farting in the cook tent, even once, earns one dish duty for the remainder of the trip. No sense in living like animals.

I'm w/ him.
I splurged $30 on this baby for the doodie patrol. Nothing like a shelter away from camp for some solitude. I don't know if it would hold up to Wyoming's winds, even though it has tie downs.

[Linked Image]
If any of the rest of you have ever taken a dump in the same room in which hang the towels you use after showering, or placed your toothbrush on the same counter your baby's diaper was changed, or swum in the same pool as have youngsters, this technique might prove useful or more comfortable than the alternatives. My buddy's wife found a version of it so.

I don't want anyone doing their business anywhere near my tent!!

Hunter's Loo -Camo- buy the seat&lid add your own bucket
http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/cb/cb.asp?a=251308

OR

Bumper Dumper - use bag or bucket
[Linked Image]

Macrabbit,
Your technique is innovative and might be worthwhile for me in severly inclement weather....provided the one relieving himself is in HIS own tent vestibule and no one else is temporarily residing there..:)

When hunting-camping in the great outdoors, I've always carried the camp shovel with me and dug a shallow latrine for such matters..AWAY from the camp, away from where folks may walk..Then I cover-bury it when done..

Yes your hindparts can get cold..but IF you are not one who spends hours on the john reading magzines to answer the call of nature, it's done and over soon enough..:)

Little or no stench for the others..OR game that may be in the area..no wads of butt paper behind shrubs or trees..:)

My wife insists on all the facilities..a nice motorhome or heated bathroom..:(..She doesn't go hunting with me tho..:)Jim

Mac-
You may be interested in THIS BOOK!! smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I didn't know they could publish words like that!
macrabbit..That's a real bestseller ..been out awhile..

A few years back, I got a copy for the wife..who usually won't go for 3-4 days IF we even leave town and stay in a motel..:)
( how do people DO that??)

Book didn't help..:(

I think she has the same phobias- mentality of the kids you recall who never would use the open stalls in school no matter how bad they needed to..:) Jim
Can I assume that you DO NOT recommend this technique when said dumper is plagued with explosive diarrhea??

Mike
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Can I assume that you DO NOT recommend this technique when said dumper is plagued with explosive diarrhea??

Mike

Mike, I think from the description of the baggie mcrabbit gave us that THAT situation would need to be addressed in the tent vestibule with a hefty garbage bag grapped up snugly..:)..or better yet a -ways away so the wind didn't blow it back on your heels..:)

Immodium AD is the ticket for that..but must be taken the night before..:) Good hunters PLAN stuff..:) Jim
Jim-

Please tell us how a good hunter "plans" to have the $hits?

That's funny right there...
Ironbender..:)...:)

He 'plans' NOT to drink the wrong stuff..( poor water or too much cervesa) plans NOT to eat the wrong stuff..
Listens to his body and gut ..:)
If in doubt, take an Immodium AD the previus evening...and DON'T call ME in the morning..:) Jim
This thread had been hilarious!

I vote with CAS though. No dookey in my tent.....
All explosives must be unloaded and stored in the nearest approved powder magazine!
Originally Posted by Westman
This thread had been hilarious!

I vote with CAS though. No dookey in my tent.....

Yeah. One more reason why I want a tent to myself.

- Tom
Throwing anything plastic in the campfire and smelling is bad enough, let alone a turd wrapped in plastic.

With a pair of twins producing about 20,000 stinky diapers a day Im more than familiar with the substance but that does not mean I want someone dropping logs in my tent. I dont care what the weather is like thats outside, thats what they make ponchos for.

I wont even go into what I was taught when working multiple days of surveillance in a vehicle when you cannot get out without blowing your case...ok maybe a little, but all I will say is ziplock bags full of kitty litter are nasty.
Best thread in a while. Laffin my arse off!

I too am with CAS. There is to be no dropping of the duece in the shelter. I don't care how bad doctor dugan is calling!

Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Throwing anything plastic in the campfire and smelling is bad enough, let alone a turd wrapped in plastic.

With a pair of twins producing about 20,000 stinky diapers a day Im more than familiar with the substance but that does not mean I want someone dropping logs in my tent. I dont care what the weather is like thats outside, thats what they make ponchos for.

I wont even go into what I was taught when working multiple days of surveillance in a vehicle when you cannot get out without blowing your case...ok maybe a little, but all I will say is ziplock bags full of kitty litter are nasty.

THAT'S WHY THEY MAKE PONCHOS????????? THAT IS PRICELESS!!!!!!!

LOL LOL LOL
I'll be damned if I would share a tent with anybody that drops wolf bait into plastics bags inside the tent and then fricassees the works on the campfire.

That is just wrong.
I'm befuddled by all of the negative responses.
Besides the fact that you'all are focused on 'tent' when the title is 'vestibule', are you the same folks who shove your hands into the cavities of gut-shot deer (occasionally); have poop dribble out on you while circling out an elk's anus; are forced to s(h)it in camp when you've forgotten the Imodium; fail like the majority of Americans, even fast-food workers, to wash your hands after restroom duty in the approved manner for the approved time; cradle poopy babies in your arms while the wife arranges the facilities; use construction port-a-potties; pick up firewood from around camp while not knowing which bushes have been yellowed or which logs have been used by your buddies to support their squats; etc.?
I outlined a clean, self-packaging technique. With an accurate targeting system, there is no mess; there's no more odor, and it lasts no longer, than any normal 'fanny-burp'; hands need get no more contaminated than in the Hilton; the Ziploc of bundled paper towel is no more to be avoided, and probably less, than the bucket liners from your depicted stalls and truck-hitch systems.
And do you burn your tent as an abomination every time you find a mouse dropping in the bread box?

As I write this, the thread has had 418 views and 34 responses. Some of those voyeurs likely are a bit embarrassed to admit on this public forum the similar ways they've (cleanly) handled matters; but I'd sure like, now, a bit more support than that from jim in Oregon. I notice that our more woods-wise members have not chimed in.

smile
Mac,

All right, you can go hunting with me. Some of your good luck might rub off on me and I might kill a monster blacktail! grin

But here's the deal: You bring and chit in your own vestibule and you burn it downwind at least 50yds of camp! wink

And you stay outta me food! grin

MtnHtr
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
And you stay outta me food!

You'd need worry only when I pack up a lunch for you and wrap your sandwich in a paper towel. grin
The only logs that should be on the campfire are not man made.

But since this is still America, treat it like Burger King and have it your way.

Just not @ my campfire. cry
In an odd, and sick, coincidence, this afternoon went to the hills and dumped a load of bricks.
Really.
(I have an eroding dirt road, take up loads of concrete and such when I have a source such as a neighborhood house renovation.)

grin
macrabbit,
I'm an older hunter, schooled concerning austere camp life by elder hunters before me..as well as military combat experience 'camping' far from ameneties even as basic as camp latrines with 55 gallong cans beneath the shack floor..:)

Deuteronomy 23:13 ( NIV) describes how the Israelite warriors-travelers were to deal with such matters when camped:

"As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

This was I am thinking primarily for reduction of disease among soldiers-campers centuries ago when hygiene had to be done best they could.

I am assuming the 'vestibule' you speak of is like a tent fly outside the entrance to the tent, offering some shelter?

Much of what folks do or accept is what they are used to..sometimes regardless of innovation-new practicality..

Old story about native americanms observing the living habits of the white settlers went something like this:

"White man strange..Go poop inside house and cook ouside..:)"

I'm pretty particular about the camp area, whether it is I alone in a very basic bivvy camp, or camped with others..
Don't like putting any trash into the camp fire as if it was an incenerator..no more than I would burn household trash in the fireplace at home.
Our campfire is usually small, no more than a fire pit perhaps screened with rocks where one can warm himself, perhaps cook on a stick, bake a foil wrapped pototo or fish..and so no trash goes into the fire and no plastic..can lids etc.

In areas where others may camp later, fire pits with scrap can lids , foil, melted plastic are a nuisance and generally the shovel comes out and the pit is cleaned up before we will use it..with the remnants of trash disposed of, packed out or buried properly.

Again, different folks will have varying views on what they consider sanitary camp habits..
If your technique works for you and family, by all means use it.
Camping with small children and or women poses different challenges than gruwn men-hunters camping in proximity to one another..Jim

Yes, that sort of vestibule.

I burn every burnable. Paper goods at almost any time, misc. plastics if the smoke and residue will not interfere with cooking or camaraderie; otherwise during a late night session alone. If garbage has piled up, I set aside a time when I can get up a good bed of coals in the bottom of the pit, I fill the pit with crossing long and gnarly sticks so that I can have lots of flame and maximum air all through, and I put on the trash a few pieces at a time, spread to avoid smotherance. Metals don't make it, aluminum-backed paper powders to nothing, and plastic is not allowed to clump. Our last few days saw weather that prevented enjoying a campfire, so we generated a fair amount, plus there was quite a bit of stuff no longer needed at the end of the trip. My final pyre incineration took over an hour, with another hour of enjoyment/further heat to be sure to leave only ashes.
(Bivy packages dry, burn, ash up.)
This year I made a good effort to burn our hunting camp's trash - so whereas last year we generated at least five bulging garbage bags, and had trouble fitting them into our gear-stuffed vehicles for the 50-mile drive to town, this year's trip, with an average of 2 1/2 people for three weeks saw one wimpy bag (taken in early), one full (that included much burnable from my buddy's clean-up the day he packed up his tent halfway through the trip), and one handily partial (representing the last eleven days of the trip, two people).

I hope none of you other sensitives is reduced to using a bedpan! grin

BTW, I'm having fun with this. No need to, and not gonna, get argumentative.
Mac

In bad weather, I'm with ya. I don't understand all the others either. It's poo, whats the deal? I spent 1 year wiping my Dad's butt as he died, though I've never had kids...

AND our master bath is smaller than my tent by far...

Though I had not thought of the poncho bit, I have been thinking poncho, lightweight, as a solution to a top big enough for the pack on etc.... when it starts pouring and I'm out, mix with rain pants and the poncho could be a good deal all around too.

Jeff
macrabbit..Maybe I got into the habits I still use when a jungle combat soldier..:)??

We did our best to leave little-no trace of our 'camps' nor create much scent from anything which might give away our location at night..Many, many times a cold camp..

We must camp-hunt a bit lighter than you do..:)
I can't recall we ever generated over a half hefty garbage bag of 'refuse' to pack out between the three or four of us in over a week..:)
As I said, IF your tactics work for you and those with you and you feel like your imprint on the land is acceptable, certainly don't need to change on my account..:)Jim
Yes, this hunt is full-service car-camping. Some of our guys go through single-serving water bottles like I can't fathom. We use paper plates and plastic utensils to cut down on dish duties. Some accoutrements use those little propane canisters. Add canned or bottled food, beer and soda cans, paper towels up the wazoo, bakery clamshells, ...
Thank you for some level of support.

Ponchos sound good to me, at least in theory.
I haven't tried one because I hate restriction, like my arms free.
I occasionally use a poncho at home, usually when barbecuing in the winter, and find it uncomfortable.
© 24hourcampfire