Home
Posted By: todbartell Grizzly and the 338 Federal - 02/22/08
I got drawn for spring grizzly this coming spring, and will be using my Sako SS chambered in 338 Federal.

What bullet do you guys think I should load? I have a good idea what I will use but am curious what others would suggest. Please do not suggest another cartridge because I cannot afford a new rifle eek
210 gr Nosler partition is what I would use with either a 225 gr Nosler or Speer Grand Slam as a second choice. You should have no problem killing a bear with good shot placement of course.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Grizzly and the 338 Federal - 02/22/08
185-210gr Barnes TSX..Also the 210 Nosler Partition is a good one.Congrats on the draw.What M.U did you get drawn for.?
region 7 north of PG
7-16 7-23
correct! confused cry
Todd congratulations on getting drawn. Are the results posted. I've looked and cannot locate the online checking site.
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Todd congratulations on getting drawn. Are the results posted. I've looked and cannot locate the online checking site.

LEH results
Originally Posted by todbartell
correct! confused cry

Hell if I know what that means but anyhow..
We stopped putting in for north of town 5 or so years back.They don't have the numbers like out east M.U 7-07 and 7-06 have treated us well the last couple of draws we had..

But it was hard bug infested hunt in that Bowron River area's.
Thanks, no luck I got a NIL!!!
Posted By: Blkram Re: Grizzly and the 338 Federal - 02/22/08
I used the 210 gr Nosler in my 338 Win Mag on grizzly. Worked just fine.
The 338 Federal appears to shoot the same bullet weight about 200 fps slower than the Win Mag (still at over 2600 fps).
Have hammered another grizzly with a 358 Winchester loaded with a Speer 220 gr Flat-SP bullet moving out of a 20" barrel at 2200 fps. Did a fine job. Dropped him hard at 140 yards, but required a finishing shot a couple of minutes later.
If your rifle shoots either the 210 gr Partition or TSX well, use them with confidence.

Just take your time to place the shot well, preferrably un an unalarmed bear, and preferrably not from the downhill side.
And don't be afraid to use an insurance shot.
An extra hole in his hide is alot less painful than wounded pride and holes in your hide! (Sound advice from my Dad...who's only been guiding for these critters here in BC for 40 years)
Posted By: RickF Re: Grizzly and the 338 Federal - 02/22/08
No luck here either.

Wat to go Tod.
Posted By: las Re: Grizzly and the 338 Federal - 02/22/08
Well, here's a downer for the 210 Partition, through a .338 WM. The one and only time I ever used it on game, it apparently blew up on the shoulder blade of a bull moose at about 100 yards. The near-side blade was shattered. I found fine bb-sized fragments of bone and lead all through the near side lung, the far side lung was undamaged. He may or may not have survived that, had the shoulder blade not been shattered (wolf/bear bait) The rear-portion apparently riquochetted (never could talk French) back out the entry hole, as I never found it- and I looked.

At 10 feet, the bull lunged back to his feet, I snap shot the second round more or less up his nose, which did the job. Then I sat down in place and shook for 5 minutes. I now take "insurance shots" from a few yards out, even if they are "dead".

I never used the 210 again, and won't. Unless it is on caribou or deer in non-bear country/season.

I reccomend the 225, or 250 grain bullets which have performed faultlessly for me, whether plain-jane or premiums.

Just my prejudice, perhaps. Nearly crapping one's pants will do that for you.

Posted By: Blkram Re: Grizzly and the 338 Federal - 02/22/08
las,

I've used them with success on moose, elk, grizzly and bison at ranges from 5 to 270 yards.
They provided excellent performance, and penetration.

It being the bullet by which all others are judged, and has successfully harvested game for 60 years now, don't be too quick to dismiss it by just one bad experience. Try it again.
Fall off a horse...best thing to do is get back on right away.
Even the best of anything can, and will fail.
I should mention I did get a permit this year as well. It's been a long time in coming (probably 3+ years). I will use my 35 Whelen with 250 gr Speer Grand Slams.
One bad experience is all it takes to get hurt or dead, or lose a good animal. And one failure is all I'll give it. I've used the 250 gr .338 Partition for a good many years, no problem. Also the 180 in '06.

I'm loyal to my predjudices....until they fail.

And we are talking about teeth and claws here. Why not use the bullets best suited to the caliber? I'd not hesitate to whack a griz with any good 180 or 200 grain .30-06 bullet. I just don't think the 210 is optimal for the .338, any more than I think the 130 gr is optimal for the '06. IMO, optimal bullets for the '06 are 165 to 180 grain, for the .338, 225 to 250 grains.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Grizzly and the 338 Federal - 02/22/08

The 210 grain TSX in the 338 Federal is a totaly awesome combination as these pictures of this Zebra will indicate.

Exit hole in hide

[Linked Image]

damage to heart

[Linked Image]
Zebra are horses, not bears. But that is impressive performance. And it wasn't a Partition....

Have no experience with the TSX. Rep is good - from all accounts, one can go lighter with TSX, and, like I say, until it fails me... I will not use the 210 Partition for moose or brown bear in the rifle I have, at any rate.. Would be fine for a mid-winter caribou hunt (I'd likley use the '06 or .260 instead), but better balanced bullet weights to caliber shoot as well or better in my particular .338 rifle so why bother a lesser round? Bear hunting is almost always a short-range proposition- under 200 yards. a heavier round is better, as trajectory concerns are negligable.

Sitka Deer thinks the 130 gr TSX in 270 is fine brown bear medicine for his son to use. He ought to know, and I don't. All I'm saying is the .338 210 Partition failed my expectations once, and I won't use it for that particular purpose again - nor would I use it on big bear when better bullets are available. In my rifle.

If it is the only thing that particular rifle shoots well (unlikely) then I'd use the 210 Partition. From what I've heard/read, the TSX is a good step up in quality from the Partition, said Partition is what the original poster was asking about. I will freely admit I have a negative opinion of the 210 Partition - but, with no experience with the TSX, that doesn't carry over.

Suit yourself.
las, keep in mind I am shooting a 338 Federal, so 225-250 grain bullets are not optimum wink
Posted By: Shag Re: Grizzly and the 338 Federal - 02/23/08
Lots of talk about lite for caliber bullets when using a TSX. Have you tried any 185tsx's outa your 338fed yet??
no but I have a few loaded up just for kicks
Posted By: las Re: Grizzly and the 338 Federal - 02/23/08
True. That one sorta slipped by me.
Posted By: Blkram Re: Grizzly and the 338 Federal - 02/23/08
las,

Point on teeth and claws is valid. No one wants to get hurt.

Was thinking more along the lines of trying it again on moose, elk and caribou first, in order to rebuild confidence.

I've used the 210 on grizzly, and it worked just fine, but there is no argument from me, that a 225 gr would be better suited, for breaking bone and reaching the vitals.

In tod's 338 Federal, I think the 210 should do fine. I haven't tried the TSX yet, but will be working up a load shortly to try.
I have also used the 215 gr Sierra on black bear last year in my 338-06, and it never moved after the shot.
Posted By: TMan Re: Grizzly and the 338 Federal - 02/23/08
One of the things I like about a "modest" velocity rifle with heavier bullets is that by cranking up the diameter you can achieve effective punch with conventional bullets.

My Whelen, for instance works fine with 250gr Hornady's on larger critters.

Would a 200 or 225gr Hornady interlock work just as good from the .338 Federal on larger game? The bullets were designed around the .338 Winchester, I can't believe that .308 case is going to blow one up.
Posted By: skit Re: Grizzly and the 338 Federal - 02/24/08
the 250 hornady rn or spitzer fit well in the short action rem and that would be my first choice. you want to penetrate them from stem to stern. and the hornady 250 rn will do that. you should be able to get 2350 - 2400 fps with that bullet duplicating the 358 win which knocks them down every time. them critters are nasty, dont fool around with them.
© 24hourcampfire