Home
I guess mine would be my MK II 7X57 with the Sierra 175 BTSP ahead of 44 gr H-414.
How 'bout you guys?
Mike
an AR in 223 with ball... cause if i'm only allowed one then the [bleep] just hit the fan.............
Rem 700 TI in .308 win pumping out 165 grain TSX's.............Oh wait! thats what I shoot now. wink
I am going to assume you mean one big game rifle and one load for the rest of my life. If that was the intent of the question, then I will probably say a .30-06 with a 180 grain partition. I don't have a .30-06 that I presently hunt with, but noone can say it isn't sufficient game caliber. Partitions have earned a reputation that is as reliable as the old "Rare, naught six".
Actually I need two cartridge choices.....the other is a SS Rem 700 in .264 win mag shooting 120 grain TSX's.
couldn't do it... sorry.
Rem M7 .308 with 150TSX, or Tikka .270 with a 130TSX, anything under 1000 pounds gets one through the boiler room, anything over 1000 gets one in the ear.
Originally Posted by Miketwo
I guess mine would be my MK II 7X57 with the Sierra 175 BTSP ahead of 44 gr H-414.
How 'bout you guys?
Mike

I could live with the 7mm Mauser. I need to think about the rest.
I thought about it,, why would you limit yourself to one?
As finicky as my 7 Wby has been it would be the Swift 140 A Frame at 3230 fps.
Originally Posted by MickinColo
I thought about it,, why would you limit yourself to one?

Don't get me wrong here,I love my AR-15's,my 1911's my Hornet,and my 257 Robert's.
Just askin.
Mike
Aleady have the .06 with 220gr RN Sierra.I have enough loaded to last the rest of my hunting career
If I had to give it all up I'd keep my custom M70 .30-06 shooting the 180 grain Partition and go hunt everything.
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
an AR in 223 with ball... cause if i'm only allowed one then the [bleep] just hit the fan.............

That right there, is funny.....
i try...grins
Since I still want to hunt a few more things in Africa, it would have to be my Mod 70 375 H&H. and 300 grain Swifts or 270 TSXs.

But if only planning to hunt N.A. then probably a 338 I recently bought that seems to shoot everything well and would do from bear to coyote. Probably settle on a 210 TSX load of some description

Then still again, I might just join Paul with an M4gery and a boat load of 5.56.

My .300 Supermagnum (wildcat) is good for everything on this continent. I shoot 180 gn Nosler partitions ove 84.5 grains of H4831 at 3200 +/- 15 FPS.
One gun, one load for the rest of my life? Thats not going to happen.
I basically went the "one gun, one load" for the first 20 years I big game hunted.

No thanks - I much prefer having more toys.
Abolt (I know, not a real rifle) 30.06, 55grains H414 and Hornady 165btsp's. Well, I may exchange the Abolt for a cooper if I actually get up the gumption to pull the trigger and order one.

miketwo,

I guess that would be my .375 AI,270 gr.Barnes X's,96.5gr of RL 19(very compressed),MV @ 2900fps.Seems to work very effeectively! -memtb
Looking at the rifles I currently have, I realized I bought them because of the rifles themselves, not for the cartridges they were chambered for (one was a gift that I had no say in). I like the rifles themselves, I just wish they were all chambered for something different. Some have mentioned the 7x57. I have one and would love an excuse to use it forever. But when you talk the rest of your life, I have to go a little more common. What I've come up with is my Ruger #1 S26M (and older and much slimmer version of the current #1B with a 26" barrel) chambered for the .270 Winchester loaded with 160gr Nosler Partitions. Big, small, close, far - this one should do it with minimal fuss at the reloading bench, at the shooting bench or in the field.

That's my sentimental choice. If I had to be practical and talked about beating rifles up rocks and ice and rain etc., maybe someone would have a nice, light, lefty bolt in 7mm-08. Either way, both would be topped with something like a Leupold 1.75x6.
Mine would probably be my .375 H&H with the Barnes 270 gr TSX at about 2800 fps MV.
It's not going to happen but if it did, the economy and other things have really tanked. If that were the case, I'd be limited to just deer, black bear and the occasional elk. I think my semi-custon REM 600 in 7mm-08 w/ a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 would stay. Its current load is a 139gr IB at 2900+MV using IMR4895 and I see no reason to change. It certainly would put plenty of meat on the table.

I would also be keeping my 223 cuz the $hite has hit the fan...

RH
180 Nosler Partition / 64 gr's H4350 / 2,950 fps... from a Kimber MT 300 WSM.
My Ruger 77 35 Whelen with 225g TSX's or 225g Nosler Partitions.
Would handle anything I will hunt. A bit much for antelope maybe but.....Can I have a shotgun for birds, rabbits etc?
M700 7RM/140TTSX/H1000/3280fps

Brett
Ummm....can I change my mind?

M700 300RUM/168TTSX/Retumbo/3450fps

Brett
200 gn Partition, 66.5 gr H4350 for 2925 fps, Kimber MT 325 WSM with a 2.5x8 B&C Leupold on top.
CZ550, 458 with 450 TSX at 2300fps.
.22LR, CCI SGBs or Subsonic LR HPs.

Amazing what you can kill with a good, well-placed .22LR.....
I couldn't afford one gun, I would go broke shooting groundhogs with a .338 win mag with 225 accubonds.
I pretty much do that anyway. I have quite a few rifles but I only hunt with a 7mag and 160 AB's.
Isn't no way I'd ever even fit into this scenario!!!
Since I desperately want to hunt elephants again ( don't know if it will happen but I want to)I would have to pick a synthetic stocked 458 bolt gun with a 26 inch barrel. 69gr=3031 and 500 grain bullets of various descriptions. I used the 458 in the US for a while and just works like a charm on the smaller stuff. With cast bullets you can shoot it cheaply.
My Model 70 358 Norma Mag. Bullets choice is simple. 225-grain Swift A-Frames or Barnes TSX bullets.
300 Win Mag 168 TSX.
Mike
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

So what have you killed with a good, well-placed .22LR?
9,3x62 with 250 grs A-frame loaded with Norma 203-B or N 160
In this imaginary scenario(I would be dead before the matter was settled in reality), my gun would be my Sako 75 .300 RUM shooting 180gr TSX over 92gr of RL22, good for about 3300fps. This load shoots 1/2" very consistently.
Mike, I have thought about your one gun, one load for the rest of my life idea for two days.
And for the life of me, I can�t think of one reason to limit myself to one gun again, much less one load.
But if it had to be, it would be .30-06 with 165 grain Partition.
I would probably never settle for one gun, one load. Guns are just too much fun even if I am nagged. Besides women waste more money than men on a daily basis.
However, I do feel the .300 WSM with 165 TSX has the edge over a 30-06 for being a flatter shooting, better all around.
I'm pretty well getting there right now! One cartridge for me, for everything I want to hunt is the 7-08. 140 grain Partitions with H4350 in an all weather model...mmmm okay, I'm going to try and somehow "sneak" into the home we just bought a new Mod 70 in the same calibre, just for flash of course...this from a guy who uses a....wait for it...a Browning A Bolt II

Paul
308/150 tsx.

BMT
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

400 pound calf.

BMT
.338-06 with 225 grain Barnes behind Varget Powder
The rifle would be a Win. Mod 70 all stainless in a H&S stock with a Leupold 6x scope. The load would be 150gr. Nosler Partitions and 56grs of H4831. If I knew how to do the picture thing I could show what she looks like.
Originally Posted by BMT

400 pound calf.

BMT

Was he being petted at the time?
Win M-70 Featherweight in .308, topped with 4x Leupold, 165gr Partitions. Simple, light, effective
No one outlined the situation.... 223 can be used to aquire MANY other items.... as can a silent 22.... but I'm talking SHTF scenario.

If I had to simply choose one all around rifle period, I have to be weird and simply say a double lugged M1A, bedded into an Mc stock, and firing 168 tsx.... As far as I'm concerned there isn't much I wouldn't tackle with that rig.

Now IF I could substitute ammo as the need arises, no doubt, a good 3.5 inch 12 gauge pump. There isn't anything I couldn't tackle that way.

Funny thing... in a SHTF scenario, its my wife and I.... we'll be packing a 223 AR, a 45 pistol, a 22 pistol, and 12 ga 590..... I can get by there and could even dump the 45....
I don't use HPs all that much, unless hunting hogs with my 22 pistol and not head shooting them...

But a 22lr with cci mini mag solids at the time, did in a 1000 pound cow that was down and needed relief.

It amazes some, but never me, what will fall to that 22 bullet placed precisely.... many a 500 pound or so hog fell when I was young..... and grandpa used to use 22 solid shorts from his single shot on the hogs...
One Rifle.....Hmmm....I'd have to pick "ole black betty". Yes I name my rifles, if they stay with me long enough. Ole betty is a Rem 700 338 win mag. I call her "ole black betty" after the song.... "ole black betty, bam alam! Ohhohh black betty blam alam! betty had a child, dam thing gone wild, bam alam!" Some times when I shoot her off the bench I think of that song.
As already been mentioned, a 180 grain Nosler Partition in the '06, at 'standard' velocities.

I might use the 180 Accubond instead if my rifle liked them better.
My 6 1/2 pound 280 Ackley shooting 150TSX's at 3050 fps. In bear country I would prefer my 358 Norma and 225TSX's, but I know the 280 will do it all.
Kimber 300WSM, 180grain Nosler partitions/68 grains of RL19, with 2.5 x 8 Zeiss Conquest is my favorite. Works on everything I shoot with it, rifle is not too heavy, but not too light.
If I was limited to just one GUN, I'd have to choose my Browning A-5,3" mag w/ a 26" modified barrel.
I call that my "stay alive" gun.

If I was limited to just a Rifle, the choice is easy for me.
Remington 700 in .270 win. The load is 130 grn Barnes.
Ruger M77 Stainless Leupy 3-9x 300WM with 200 gr Partitions at 2930 fps
Mine would be a Beretta Mato synthetic in 30-06 with a Burris 3X-10X-40mm Signature Select in Talley QD tings & bases. The load would be Swift 180gr A-Frame with 57 grs. of H4350.
'06, 130 TTSXs over 51.5 gr Varget or 300WM, 150 TTSXs over 61 gr Varget since this is in in the big game forum I assume I get to keep a shotgun too. The TTSXs offer superb accuracy and terminal performance. Varget delivers the horsepower burns clean and doesn't care if it's hot or cold. I can whack smaller things with either 30 cal, and I wouldn't be afraid to take on anything in NA with either one.
Answering the question strictly......

Rem 700 in 7 mag shooting a TSX 140.

To broaden the question a bit....

If handloading components were still available, same gun, same cartridge. 120's thru 175's oughta cover it.

If no handloading components....

Same gun, 30-06
That's about what I had planned when I bought my 300 WSM. One rifle and load for everything. It is a Winchester Mod. 70 Classic Stainless in a McMillan stock and wears a Leupold VXll 3-9. The load is 168 TSX and H4350 @ 3100.

It should work for anything in NA from antelope to brown bear.
This thread shows that there are a lot of combo's that will work real well.Especially with todays lineup of cartridges and great bullets.
.30-06 with 165 gr. Nosler Partitions and 57 gr. of IMR 4350, done.
Selmer
For me,a big 7mm with a quality 160 would cut a big swath....
I'm with BobinNH, my Husky 7mm Rem Mag with a 140gr TTSX pushed by 67gr of IMR4831...
Win M70 stainless Classic in 30-06 shooting 165 Interbonds in front of 59 grains of H4350 at 2925FPS. I have been known to switch loads but the gun and caliber always remains the same.
Weatherby Mark V .300mag 180gr.
You know I wouldn't be happy with just one, but if I have to it would be the trusty 30.06 with a good 180 GR. bullet.
I'd make do with the 7x57 Mauser and a 160 partition at 2700 fps or so.
I have talked a good talk about 338 win mag but on reviewing my bag limits over the years it is the 6.5 x 55 that has accounted for over 75% of the animals taken. It is not a powerful round, or a sexy round, or even an easily found factory round, but it do shoot well, no recoil to speak of, and penetrates like mad. I just bought a 30-06 to take to Africa next spring with my 338, and I am liking it, but it is not a favourite round. It is a proven round, just not by me.
Randy
Something big enough to shoot myself with. wink Actually, I'd take a Pre '64 Model 70 Winchester Alaskan 338 Win Mag with a 210gr Partition over 65.5gr of RL-15.
So far my Ruger MKII 338 Win Mag and 210gr Partitions hasn't not worked...
Originally Posted by BobinNH

That was exactly my choice for 20 years. Prairie dogs, coyotes, antelope, deer and elk, it never failed.

The "Magnificent 7" with 120-140g bullets will do anything a .257 Roy with 100g or heavier bullets will do in terms of trajectory. In fact the 7mm RM will do it a bit better (less drop and wind drift and higher impact velocity, albeit by a hair) while delivering an extra 300fpe on target. With 160g and 175g bullets the 7mm RM is an outstanding choice for elk and more than adequate for moose, delivering long range performance with recoil similar to a .30-06. And, of course, the 7mm RM can be downloaded to 7mm-08 or 7x57 levels if desired.

I'm not much of a fan of "one gun, one load" for all tasks, had enough of that the first 20 years I hunted big game. But if I had to go back to one gun the 7mm Rem Mag would probably be the sole survivor and I'd use multiple loads - 120g TTSX and 160g MRX would pretty well take care of things.

Rem M700 Alaskan Ti 300WSM
Leupy vxIII 3.5-10x40 w/ Butler Creeks
Talley lw's
150gr Noz E-Tip @3300fps

Brett
35 Whelen and a 225gr TSX w/60 grs of RE-15 pushing it 2730 fps. That should take care of about anything. grin
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Originally Posted by BMT

400 pound calf.

BMT

Actually, he was eating grain from a coffee can.

BMT
Remington 700 ADL circa: 1972 / leupold vxII 3x9x40/ 30-06, 180 grain TSX.
I have 30+ long guns / the above rifle is my first one, purchased second hand when I was 16 years old (40 now). If I had to pick one to take with me with the sh#t hit the fan, this is the one.
I started out 40 yrs ago deer hunting with my 264 Win Mag that I bought thru the mail. Carried it for 25 yrs. Then carried 30-06 for ten yrs or so. Now I waffle back and forth between my 06 and the 7mm Rem Mag. One gun for life is a good sound plan, but if your a gun lover its hard to do.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

In my experience it actually didn't on whitetails. Rather unimpressive. YMMV....

7mmSTW with 160 partitions. Although now with different bullet choices...who knows.

For me, I'll stick with the Colonel and 225's......

I like the Weatherby WeatherMark in .300 Weatherby Mag., stoked with Weatherby factory loads (180 gr. PT-EX) and topped off with a Leupold Vari X-II 3-9 x 40.
My 8x57 custom running 180 TSX's at 2800.
Mine would be the 35 Whelen with 225gr bullets.

If birds and such were included, then the best choice would be a shotgun with slugs & birdshot loads.
One big game rifle? I'd probably go back full circle and shoot a .308 for everything. Of the four .308's I now have, I would choose the Sako M85 Graywolf. nosler partition 165's.
Mine would be my current all around gun which is a Ruger M77 MKII UL in Stainless Synthetic 30.06. Load would be Interbonds in 165 grain. The gun loves them and I love the gun. Scope would be a Burris 3x9x40 with the ballistic reticle. I just can't see beating that combination.
I would choose my Remington model 700, with a Nikon Prostaff scope, in .30-06 for my gun of choice. My bullet of choice would be 180 grain Nosler Partitions.
Another vote for a good .22 LR bolt action, scoped, with solids.
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Originally Posted by BMT

400 pound calf.

BMT

Actually, he was eating grain from a coffee can.

BMT

Probably not my first choice as a bear gun, but this is a pic of Bella Twins world record grizzly skull, killed with a single shot .22.(1953)

[Linked Image]
My .458 because I'm not ready to give up on the dream of going to Africa yet, and when my shoulder won't take the recoil any longer it can be loaded down. Maybe they'll have sabots for rifles worked out by then. smile
It would be a regress, but a 30-06 loaded with 58.5 gr of IMR4350 and a Hornady 165 BTSP out of my 1978 Tikka M65. A death ray on anything that ever had cross hairs on it. I might substitute for a 168 TSX now, though.
Coyote: I went the opposite direction and used a bunch of different stuff for years.Today,I don't really want to experiment much anymore,and I've been reaching for a 270 or big 7 with good bullets for the last decade or so,almost exclusively.Nothing else gets much of a workout.I haven't shot anything with a 30 cal for over a decade.

Everything gets pretty dead in a hurry smile
If you were looking for all-around hunting, then you would have a hard time beating either a 7mm Rem Mag w/ 160 gr or 300Win w/ 180 gr. I would choose an accubond and make it come out of the muzzle at 3000fps.

Any animal but BIG bears on this continent and most on the dark continent.

If I had to pick a gun, I would pick a Sako 75 synthetic with a Zeiss 4.5x14-44mm and off I go.
Mauser M-1996 Straight-Pull in 30'06 Springfield plugged with a 165 gr Hornady Interbond over 61.5 grains of RL-19.

It was my first "high powered" centerfire (the quotes are there because I am no longer naive enough to believe that the 30 WCF I had first wasn't "high powered") rifle, and it shoots better than I can.

All my rifles since have proven more or less new-yet-unimproved mousetraps wink .

Like others have said, I'll keep trying... can't limit myself to just one!
I'm torn between two setups, one that is my passion, the other that just makes sense.

The first:

Marlin 1895G extended mag tube, laminate stock, pistol grip, limbsaver pad and 4 round cartridge trap in the stock (all this can be seen at brockman's) Lupy VXIII 2.5x8x36. Load would be Garrett hammerheads probably the 425gr at 1850. There isn't a thing that walks that I would be afraid of hunting with this setup, also it is magic on little 'bama bucks. Great 'thump' little meat damage and man what a blood trail.

The second that makes the most sense, but is boring:

Solid bolt action rifle in 30-06. Not too decided on the make or model, but the glass would be a VXIII 4.5x14 and the load would be federal's HE 180gr partition or a similar handload with the 180gr partition.

Seem to see a lot of 30-06 180gr partition reccomendations, funny there isn't more of us using that setup...

NULA 375 RUM 22" bbl. 6.75 lbs scope included (3x9) 250 gr. bonded core bullets at 3150 fps and a large bottle of narcotic pain killers.
Rin: You gotta be shidtin' me.... crazy smile
Bobin: I tried the 378 Wby but the actions are very heavy and brass is expensive. I considered the 375 Ackley but decided on something that has factory brass although it is now difficult to find.
Assuming you are meaning just one centerfire rifle, I would have to take either a 7mm Rem Mag with either Remmie 150 factory loads or 160 Partition handloads, or a .30-06 with 165's. If I was pushed farther, it would probably end up being the .30-06. Unless I turned Bolshevik and opted for my dang .45-70 loaded with 405 gr. hardcast or 405 Remmie JFP's at about 1500-1600...which might just happen. wink
My Winchester 1895 405 WCF
AMRA
My 30-06 and 180 partitions.
My Remington Ti 7mm-08 shooting 140 grain TTSX's.

The mountains in B.C. seem to be getting higher and steeper every year! grin
rem BDL .338 win mag in a Mickey sporting an old school 1.75 x6 Leupie

either the 210 NP or 225 Barnes, it's a little heavier than I like for a sheep rifle, but it'll do.

if I can't have it my 7 mag in an MPI with 2x7 leup and 165 gr. could serve me.

glad I have both, but IF I could only have one feel I could get done everything I need to with a rifle.
My '06 with the 4x Bushnell thats on it or a 2- Leupy, Nikon, or Burris and 165gr Hornadys backed by 57gr H4350. It'll do anything that needs doing.
Well unlike most of the folks here I am at that point in my life, and I'm only 48. Economics will not allow another gun in my closet, so I'm going with a Lex Webernick Classic Remington 700, 6.5X55, MCMillen stock,Lija barrel, Jewell trigger, Kahles 2X7 scope, loaded with 140 grain Nosler Partitions. So far it has worked well for me and it's gonna have to for the long forseable future! I rellay envy you guys sometimes.
Since I'm just an AVERAGE guy that has learned when I "want" it:
.300WM with a stout 180 or 200. Load it down or where it was made to be.

Battue
300 Winny shooting 180 NP's ought to do it for me. But I'd hate to have only one rifle.
One gun?? One load?? You gotta be kiddin'...

Anyway, here goes: Don't have this one at the moment, but did: a 22" barrel Rem M7 in 350 Rem Mag firing 225gr NPs at 2800 fps! That'll get 'er done anywhere in N.A. plus most other places as well. grin
Pre-64 Model 70, 30-06 SPRG, with a 2.5-8x36 Leupold VX-III shooting a 180 grain Nosler Partition in a handload.
I often thought of the saying"beware of the man with one gun" but what fun is that..

Weatherby SBGM in 338-06 shooting 210 Nosler Partition. Overkill for pronghorns, blacktails, most whitetails, about perfect for everything else up to large bears though it would do.

Sentimental choice and strong possibility for my style of hunting, Marlin 336 in 30-30 shooting Nosler 170's.
i guess i'll break the mold.

i've never hunted elk or anythingbigger and probaly won't.

i perfer deer, hogs, antelope, and hopefully a blk. bear.

it would be my remington 760 6mm w/ 4x leupold and shooting a 100 grain winchester power point factory load.

300 win mag. 168 TSX. 3.5-10x44 Zeiss with turrets. 700 bdl with a mcmillan stock. factory trigger down around 2 lbs. Maybe I need to build me one of these huh?!
Kimber 300WSM. 165 TSX
Kimber MT 300 WSM with a 180gr MRX/TSX/TTSX bullet. Easy peasy.
Marlin 1895GS .45-70

350 grain BB Penetrators
For the rest of my life and all over the world would be a .404 Jefferys or a .416 Rem I suppose. Neither of these tears a deer up as the bullets are so tough..and they will surfice for elephant Lion and buffalo...

If in the USA, then a 338 Win. would work well for me, including the Alaskan bears, but a 30-06 with 200 and 220 gr. Noslers would suit me fine also.
.30-06 57 gr. of IMR 4350 165 gr. Nosler Partition bullet
2008 Browning X bolt hunter 7mm rem mag 160gr federal TSX For anything with a heartbeat!!
I could "get by" with my 300 Win Mag, lots o WW brass, federal primers, 165 gr partitions, and a truckload of reloader 22!
Why the X-Bolt?

How long have you owned one?

Why would it be your rifle?

Inquiring minds - want to know.
My 338 Win mag or my 416 Rem Mag.
Having shot a bunch of dif brands and cals. Straight out off the box I have been impressed with the quality and the results. Did myself a favor and mounted a new conquest 3.5x10x50 BEAUTIFUL!Only had it for a month or so but have pushed 40+ throught it all ready, now starting to try different loads. Why the 7mm? it will stop anything in my area and hold its own just about anywhere with the right person pulling the trigger!!
Already looking at getting another either 25-06 or 243 really like the look and so far the performance of my 7mm

Originally Posted by BCBrian
Why the X-Bolt?

How long have you owned one?

Why would it be your rifle?

Inquiring minds - want to know.
Originally Posted by Odessa
Pre-64 Model 70, 30-06 SPRG, with a 2.5-8x36 Leupold VX-III shooting a 180 grain Nosler Partition in a handload.

That would pretty much do it.
Agree with odessa.
Mine is a Sears J.C. Higgins model 50, 30-06, vari x 111 2.5-8x36, timney trigger, B&C stock, shooting 180 patition handloads.
No problems so far.
Originally Posted by Miketwo
How 'bout you guys?
Mike

It is difficult indeed to top this choice. My combination includes the same rifle with H4350 over 175 grain Hornady spire points or 160 grain Speer Hot-Cors, but I doubt there's much difference in on-game performance between my choices and yours. Recoil is tolerable for when the body gets older and weaker. The rifle itself is not heavy and is exceptionally smooth and reliable in operation. The trigger on mine is light enough to facilitate precise shooting (simply by changing the trigger spring). Mine wears an excellent Leupold 2-7x33 which I consider ideal for the rifle and cartridge. I could definitely hunt the rest of my life happily and successfully with this rifle.

I have others that would do the same job equally well, such as my tang-safety Ruger in the same caliber, my Weatherby MkV lightweight sporter in 30-06 with just about any 180 grain bullet, my Interarms Mauser 30-06, and a couple others. But the 7x57 performs as well with noticeably less recoil than the 30-06.

-
I'd hate to hunt with just one rifle and load for the rest of my life. But if I had to, it would be with my Weatherby Mk V ultralight in 280Rem. It wears a conquest 3-9x and shoots 140gr TSX. I can use this rig anywhere, even in condor country.
Reminds me of when Skeeter Skelton asked his old time buddy Dobe Grant in "Handgun Tales" this question. Skeeter thought maybe a deer rifle, maybe a centerfire handgun, and Dobe went to the barn and came back with a pump 22. Of course he didn't worry about game laws too much on the Turkey Track.
dan
Originally Posted by dsducati
Reminds me of when Skeeter Skelton asked his old time buddy Dobe Grant in "Handgun Tales" this question. Skeeter thought maybe a deer rifle, maybe a centerfire handgun, and Dobe went to the barn and came back with a pump 22. Of course he didn't worry about game laws too much on the Turkey Track.
dan

My favorite author!
I'm now using a Ruger .375 for everything in the lower 48. I like the weight and balance. It's also all that I can afford.

Much as I like .308s, .7mms and .416RM, I would probably chose a .375 H&H. With that I could kill everything from elephants to coyotes and would have a good chance of finding ammo for it in most corners of the globe.
One gun one load?

Ruger 10/22 with a 4X fixed power weaver and CCI Stingers. I can hit a rabbit or deer in the head every time at fifty yards. Head or at least upper shoulder/neck shoot game birds at the same distance. And as far as a SHTF weapon you can hit a man sized target at well over 200yds with only a little practice and carry 200rnds in the pocket of your jeans.

What else do you really NEED?

That being said, life would be dull without having to debate with ones self every year about what rifle do I want to take hunting.
The logical choice for BC wood be a 338WM with 225gr TSX's loaded to around 2750fps, the rifle wood be a Sako 75 or 85 SS. This round doesn't mess up deer too much , is excellant on elk and moose and probably a safe minimum for G-bear. I had two 338's and sold them off as I like an all round rifle for plinking ,deer, small moose, this is a 3006, also a heavy for the big animals in the thick stuff this require a good medium, 358, 366, or 375.
8x68S
180gr TSX @ 3,150fps
and never look back!

BBerg
Kimber Montana in 300WSM with a 168 gr TTSX.

The 7mmstw shooting the 140gr mrx.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Aleady have the .06 with 220gr RN Sierra.I have enough loaded to last the rest of my hunting career

Whats your recipe and what sort of velocity are you getting?

I loaded some 220gr Hornady Interlocks over 50gr of IMR 4350 for my Rem 700 06 and thought they did a great job on the one deer I've taken with it. But they chrony at 2250fps about 150fps less than what I was hoping for.
I'll have to flip a coin between;
Marlin 1895, 300 gr speer unicor in front of 61 gr of RX7 @ 2450fps. Savage 110 35 Whelen, 250 gr Hornady with 61.5 gr RX15 @ 2640 fps.
I tend to lean toward lighter bullet wt's for anything up to moose or grizzly's.
My M70 in .300 H&H Mag w/ 200grn NP's at 2880fps.
If it really came down to it:

Winchester Featherweight fiberglass in 30-06 shooting 165 TSX topped with a Leupie 4x.

Further, I would prefer the option of handloading, anything from 110 varmint bullets to 240 grain Woodleigh Centenarys. Second, I would like a nice wooden stock to use almost all the time except in certain environments. Finally, I would enjoy having a couple of options in the scope department, namely a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10.
I'd go with the 22 rifle.
I guess a 7x 57 stuffed with 140 gr Nosler Partitions on top of 50 gr of IMR-4350. Since the kind of hunting I pretty much do nowadays its plenty, for the rare times its not, then there the 338 Winnie. But its splitting hairs when you get down to it. Then again it would be so simple for me a 180 gr bullet out of a .30-06. But that is another issue.
a 1:8 twisted 7x57mm mauser with 160 gr. Accubonds or some 175 gr. Round nose bullets otta handle whatever needs takin care of............
© 24hourcampfire