Home
I'm sticking with what I said 6 months ago. My .358 Model 7 blacktail thwacker, now upgraded to 375-yard status, and my .325 WSM Montana. Where one leaves off, the other TAKES off in spades. I think it's an oddball, and yet perfect, combo.

However... heh heh... just for backup purposes you understand I'll also be bringing my .338 to Colorado and most likely my .325 BLR to elk camp in Oregon.

That's my plan, and I'm stickin' to it! grin
wink
Opening day of deer season: Rem 700 Mtn Rifle 7mm-08 (I haven't hunted it yet).

Elk season: Rem 700 CDL 35 Whelen
WT Deer number 1: Husky H-5000 7mm Rem Mag
WT Deer number 2: Win 88 .308
Mule deer number 1: Sako AII .243
Mule deer number 2: Sako AII .243
Bull elk: Husky H-5000 7mm Rem Mag.

Should do the trick...
I dunno yet....everything shoots; everything is behaving fine,and I'm not having any rifle problems right now(!),so almost anything may go.One thing for sure is that,whatever rifle it is,it'll have a 270 or 7mm hole in the barrel. smile
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I dunno yet....everything shoots; everything is behaving fine,and I'm not having any rifle problems right now(!)

Bob, you are in Rifle Heaven, or Rifle Hell... not sure which! grin
Once September rolls around, I'll be taking the 300 ultra to Kodiak for goat and deer. I'll pack along one of the 257 roy's to POW in October for deer and black bear. And life wouldn't be the same without having the 358 Norma in hand to look for moose and chase bear. Got plenty of hunts lined up this year, and with a year old house, there is room on the walls for stuff! grin
Jeff: All the "dogs" and usless stuff is gone;and everything I have now is just plain old "good".I keep looking for a reason to mess with stuff, but it ain't there....so I just went and bought another rifle yesterday smile

Maybe I will find "torment"....... eek laugh Not happy unless I'm anguishing over something.....
VT black bear and grouse. Sauer drilling 8X57R-16-16.
VT deer. Kimber Montana 308 or MS 358.
CT deer. M70 264 WM, M70 7mm WSM, MS 358.

If the going is not too rough I want to work this MS 358 that I got last winter into the mix. Its scope is a 2.5-8 Conquest now.

[Linked Image]

Won't change the winning team: Winch 70 / 375 HH for big game and old SxS 12 gauge for small game and birds.
Last year I used my M77 .338 win mag (250 grain Partition Golds), but this year it will be an all-handgun afair........
a rifle.
Being as I will not be hunting out of state this year I will stick with my pre-64 Model 70FW, .270 Win for whitetail and black bear. I do have a new .338 Win Mag, Classic Model 70. I want to blood it, so I will take at least one deer with it too. I will use several different 12 gauges (Win 21 & Mossberg 535) for dove, upland game, rabbit, and later turkeys in the spring.
Mule deer in NM will get the Model 7 in .260 with a 125 grain Partition.

Texas whitetail will get either a .223, .22-250, or other .22 centerfire that I'm in the mood for. I will then post pictures in the Campfire b/c .22 centerfires can't kill deer.

Varmints will get either a .22 magnum, .223, .22 Hornet, or .204 Ruger dependent on mood.
Savage ML, Monarch 4x40
Encore ML, Monarch 4x40
.358 Win, M7, VXIII 1.75-6, still hunting
30-06, M700, FXIII 6x42, stand hunting

All for deer. I like the muzzleloaders and enjoy hunting with them. A few more rifles may go into the mix, depending on time....I'm especially looking forward to a 35 Whelen from Mr. Feldkamp, but it may not arrive in time.

JCM
Whitetails will be the 700 Classic Whelen and a MArlin 1894 in 44 mag that I acquired last year.

The vermin....well...the rimfires, 223, 243, and a 25-06 I got this spring.

Several of my firearms are big game virgins, something I look forward to changing. Among them, the options are as follows:

Marlin 336CS .30-30
170g Speer FP
170g Nosler Partition RN

Ruger M77 .257 Roberts
120g A-Frame
115g TSX

Reminton M700 BDL .308 Win
165g North Fork
165g TSX
168g TTSX

Remington M700 Special Purpose Wood .30-06
165g North Fork
165g TSX
168g TTSX

Savage 111GNS .30-06
168g TTSX

Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag
240g Speer JFP
300g Speer Uni-Cor SP

Game will be doe antelope, buck deer, and cow and bull elk.

Lots of time left to decide.

If this one starts to behave, then it will get the first nod:

.257 wby.
[Linked Image]

If it doesnt, then the ole' faithfull .270 wsm will get the nod, and I will have a .257 wby for sale!

[Linked Image]
Ruger MKII .338 Win Mag and 210gr Partitions.
I'll be toting Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 and a Ruger No.1A in 30-06 as a back-up..
Archery dear - Mathews LX
Archery bear - Mathews LX
[Linked Image]
2cnd rifle muley doe -
rem 700 adl 270 black synthetic with BSA 6-24 IR mil dot.

Will have to dig up a pic of the 270 and get a plain pic of just the 300.

4th season bull gunison and late season cow tag
Ruger m77 300 win mag stainless laminated leupold 3X9 vari-x
[Linked Image]
A Browning A-Bolt Stalker in .25-06, sharing time with a Weatherby WeatherMark in .257 Weatherby Mag. cool
Elk - Hoyt Ultratec, being how I can't seem to draw a rifle tag.

Deer - With the bow if I get a chance at a big one, if not the old M70 30-06 and if I'm really feeling adventurous the Ruger Bisley .45 Colt.

Birds get the Ruger Red Label 12ga.
Decisions, decisions.

Whitetail Deer- early season 50 cal. ML then 257 Weatherby, 280, & 30-06
Hogs from stand- 35 Whelen
Hogs with dogs - 32 Win. Special
Gator - Crossbow
Predators - 223
African Plains Game- 300 Win. Mag. & 376 Steyr

Yes, I'm a rifle looney & own about 30 big game rifles.
Same thing I been totin for over 25 years now. A 700 in 30-06 with a 3X9 Leupold and some core-Lokt handloads. Some good bino's and a knife. Same combo thats killed dozens of deer and elk among other critters.

Using a newly aquired gun is tempting and I have done it a few times, like the 94 I picked up that was made the year I was born on a deer etc. But I imagine it will be that BDL again come opening day.

Birds get the Beretta 390 12 ga
MN Deer get the Beretta 390 12 ga with a Hastings rifled barrel
WY Elk get the Sako .300 WSM
Tikka .270, 3.5x10 Sightron, 110TTSX for everything.
A .223 in a blue stock...
I'll be taking a Remington 700 Classic in 8x57 with a Weaver K4 on Leu DD mounts bear hunting this fall. For deer season there are a couple of rifle I'd like to hunt with that are not ready yet, but a 99F in 308 and a Model 70 in '06 are.
My SS700 300SAUM is more or less my go-to rig, but I hope to kill with others first.

700/Pac-nor 25-284
M77/Lilja 7mmRM
700/Pac-nor 223AI
I will be using a Model 70 in 270 win for deer, and a Model 70 in 300 wsm for elk. (150 Fusion and 168 TSX, respectively)
My son will use his Model 70 in 270 wsm (140 TSX) for everything.
custom 300 wm out to 600yd and semi custom 700p in 300 ultra beyound that
Deer - Hoyt Ultra-mag, LVSF/TI .308, TC Renegade .54 Cal
Bear - LVSF/TI .308

I need to get something loaded up for the .308. Probably go with 150 or 165 Grandslams or 150 TSX's.

The .338-06 will be holding down back-up status this year.
Whitetail at home - Omega 50 cal

Elk - 7 rem mag

Well I have a few hunts coming up, this is what I'm thinking.

I have two hunts in CA for deer, 1st hunt 270 Win. 2nd hunt, 30-06 or 50 B/P.

Hunt in Colorado for Elk, I might use my 338-06 or 300 Win. Mag.

Hunt in South Dakota for Deer, Here I think I will us my 270 Win. I hope to have two buck tags and one doe tag.

I have a hunt in South America next spring {April} for Red Stag.
On this hunt I will us my 30-06.
While I'm in SA after my Red Stag hunt, I will be doing a Bird hunt. Ducks in the morning and Doves in the afternoons.

This should keep my plate full for a while.
Take Care
HD
I didn't even think about birds...

For that it will be my Browning Citori Upland Featherweight (or some long name like that) 12-ga.

My first one of these was properly broken in with many grouse and quail and a few pheasants to it's name... this one is a warranty replacement, and has not seen enough field time, to be sure! The price of gas is a tough one; the grouse are mostly a ways away...
Originally Posted by jds44
A .223 in a blue stock...

Glad I could be of service! grin

If it's the one you posted a pic of the other week, that's a cool rifle.
Thanks for the topic, Jeff. I'm glad I read through it, I've remembered some things in the back of the safe.

I think the Remington 700 Classic in 8x57 will finally get a crack at cows in the late season in CO or NM.

So many choices, so few hunting seasons!! Anybody need a hunting partner?
CSS Encore (35" ATA) @ 70lbs
Ruger SRH 44mag w/ Leupold M8 2X
Ruger BH 41mag with factory irons (orange insert installed on front sight)
Savage M110E 243 with Nikon Monarch 3-9
Remington M760 30-06 with Leupold Vari X-III 2.5-8
Savage M99EG 300 with Weaver K3

Wet/snowy weather:
Ruger M77 Mk II SS in McMillan swirl pattern with Leupold M8 6X42

Like to get out:
Winchester M1917 Enfield 30-06 with Bushnell Banner 3-9
Idaho Elk: Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker in 325 WSM

Idaho Muley: Weatherby Mark-V Ultra Lightwieght in 257 Weatherby

New Mexico Muley: Remington Ti in 7mm-08

New Mexico Javalina: ?
Everything I shoot at this year will be with a 06 and 180 grain Partitions from a Ruger M77.
Not making any trips this year so hunting will be local whitetails. Got to blood the new 338-06, the 270 hasn't been out in a few years and has a new mountain rifle stock. Then there's the 257 Bob and both 250s and a 243, guess it depends on which one jumps into my hand when I open the safe before going hunting. Wifey better be gettin that freezer emptied!
With the new Ruger, 180gr. Partitions on Colorado elk & MN whitetails.
All Kimbers will be watching from the safe this fall.
Good weather then its Grandpa's Marlin 336 in 30.30 with Leverevolution ammo.
Bad weather then its a Ruger M77 UL Stainless with Hornady light Magnum Interbonds in 150 grain.
If I score using both I may try a .243 handy rifle NEF. Still a little unsure about the .243s ability to get the job done though.

For ducks it will be a Mossberg 835 using Winchester Extended Range. That stuff really knocks them down for good. The stuff has twice the killing power of steel. Modified choke in Arkansas flooded timber. What a hunt!!
Ya'll need to post pix! We are all visual people!
Archery antelope and deer with my 60 lb longbow.

Winchester 101 for doves, grouse, pheasants and ducks.

Kimber 270 Win for rifle antelope and deer loaded with 130gr TSX's. I did get a Marlin 444 that may have to be broken in.

50 cal muzzleloader for deer.

Benelli Nova 3 1/2 inch for geese and fall turkey.

Back to my Kimber 270 for Mt. Lion in Jan, Feb, March.

Come April will be the Benelli for turkeys.

My son will use a Rem 700 in 257 Roberts loaded with 100gr Hornady SP's for deer and probably turkey.

Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Everything I shoot at this year will be with a 06 and 180 grain Partitions from a Ruger M77.

Old school! Cool. Bet it works so well you wonder why the heck you own anything else! grin
Maine- Sako in 308
CT and NH- TC Omega
Been thinking about using the .243 this year & maybe the .270. Will proably carry the .40 S&W P-94 as a hip gun. I will definitely be using a .17 HMR on prairie dogs.
Goin' for pigs with a 1-9 222 Magnum (If its done in time); 62 TSX's, 60 Parts, hell maybe even a 60gr BT with B-Mark.

If not done I'll run the 257 BYOB and 100 Parts, RL-22.

Reg. deer season with be a 45 Colt Ruger Bisley Accu and a 325 LBT and a healthy dose of Alliant 410.

Antlerless deer season I might dig out the 416 Rigby and do 350 X's with RL-25.

Vermin will get shot with whatever.

Hell, I might just use the 338 and FailSafes/RL-22 for everything. Might even blue tape the whole sumbitch. Can't wait to see all the meat loss when I whack stuff through shoulders.
Birds: Rizzini O/U's in 28 (3/4 oz #7) or 16 ga (7/8ths #7, 1 oz of #6 or 1 1/8 of #5.5)for quail, prairie chickens, sharptails, huns and pheasant.

Deer: M77Mk2 .257 Roberts with 100 TSX's @ 3150 backed up by the Custom 8x57 if it gets home in time.

No trips away.
Hogs and late deer season 400 Whelen with 325 gr TSX and 375 gr lead, just in case will have 400 gr banded solids for cheerio shots. wink 22 hornet for all vermin
Birds: Franchi Alcione LF

[Linked Image]

Deer: Custom 700 BDL .257 wby.

[Linked Image]

Back up: Custom Mauser 98 .270 wsm

[Linked Image]
I will be carrying my Kampfeld .300 Win mag
[Linked Image]
And my daughter will be carrying her Remington .243
[Linked Image]
M700 7mm-08AI ...

[Linked Image]
Mr. Jeff O;
We use rimfires for grouse up here, so the girls will be using a restocked 1958 vintage Brno and a much modified Brazilian CBC. I let them shoot them these days as it makes for good rifle shooting practice to hit a grouse head.

For deer, the girls are using the same rifles as last year, with our youngest using a 722 Remington in .250AI, shooting the tested 100gr. Hornady again this year. Our eldest will again use a �96 Mauser in 6.5x 55 which is loaded with 130gr. TSX since a black bear appears to be on the agenda for her as well as deer.

I will be swapping off between a Ruger No. 1 in .300WM with untried 180 Interbonds, a custom 98 Mauser .270 with 140TSX and resurrecting an old Browning BBR in .30-06 with 200gr Partitions for the bear hunt days.

With all that said, I am contemplating the purchase a different bow after not touching any archery gear for 15 years, so that may change what goes up the mountain as well.

Good luck and safe hunting to you all this fall.

Regards,
Dwayne

I'll use my 7mm mag model 81 for elk, antelope, and deer like I do every year, ... but if I hunt some black timber I may try my Marlin .45-70.
Originally Posted by rost495
a rifle.

Surely will do the same...still have three days to decide. What's the hurry. (I just need to make sure the ammo fits the gun when I head out the door. wink )
7 mm mag for sheep

.338 for moose

.45/70 for snowmachining or boating

life is better when a rifle is at hand
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
life is better when a rifle is at hand

Ain't that the truth!
As I will get a limited hunt this year, will be leaving for home from Iraq on Dec. 7th, my birthday, I will get the second deer season and the Christmas season. We hunt in the hardwoods mostly. My longest shot at deer in years has been 125 yards in an open field at my Dads. We generally shoot under 50 yards, I carry my CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39, it is topped with a Leopole 1-5x20 VXII. It has never let me down with any number of hogs and deer as well as coyotes out to 150 yards at a friends farm in Oklahoma. For squirrels 22/410 Stevens, Pheasant CZ Ringneck 16 ga. SxS. 4 months and 7 days and counting!!
I'm going to be using one of two rifles this year for all big game hunting; a kimber 84 in 7-08 or a rem 700 in 270. More than likely the kimber will get the nod cause it's such a dream to have in the hand.
For deer this fall-

Savage 99G 22 Hi-Power with Lyman tang peep,made in 1932
Savage 1899G 250/3000 with Redfield 2.75x,made in 1920
Marlin 1894 44 Magnum with Redfield 2.75x
S&W 29 Classic 8 3/8 inch 44 Magnum with Leupold 2x

For squirrels this winter-
Browning ATD 22 Short with Redfield 4x
Winchester 74 22 Short with Weaver K4,made in 1939
Remington 25 25/20 with Lyman tang peep

WB.
Very cool WCB!!
Will you actually use 7 rifles in one single season ???? (for 2 games) ??
Yes-I usually take two guns with me on a deer hunting trip,and will alternate between them on different days.The Marlin and the 250 Savage will likely see the most use during deer season.

For squirrels,I make multiple hunts per year for those,and usually take a different gun each time.

As they say,variety is the spice of life.....

WB.
You're right, I'm probably the only idiot on earth that spends an entire season with a 375 laugh

But I've got an excuse: the price of rifles around here grin

Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit

As they say,variety is the spice of life.....

WB.

As long as there's some ranch dressing to go with it, I'm cool with that.
Ranch dressing has become the ketchup of Generation Y.One of my buddies puts it on pizza for cryin out loud.

WB.
Big Gulps and Jojo's with ranch dressing from the 7-11... mmm... breakfast of champions!

(not for me, good Lord no...)
Throw in a couple double cheeseburgers and it sounds good to me......

WB.
Won't do the fast-food cheeseburgers usually, but man I can eat some eggs! Just about every way you can cook them. Our chickens have not been laying well lately and it's killin' me.
Three country scrambled eggs and a couple peices of whole wheat toast is hard to beat.

Throw in a pound of fried potatoes and onions,and you've got the makings of a light brekfast.........(grin)

WB.
We gotta do breakfast sometime <g>.

This is giving me the serious munchies. I'm off to bed before I cave in!
If I can find the "right" scope, I'll be carrying the HVA 358 Norma for elk with (can't believe I'm admitting this, publicly) factory ammo.

If not, the 358 BLR for timber elk, and the old faithful, the 7mag with 130 gr. TSX's for everything else. She just kills everything I ask her to kill..... FWIW, Dutch.
Rem. 700 LVSF in 308, bedded in a McMillan Classic stock and mounted with a Leupold 4.5-14x40LR with B&C reticle.

and

Rem. 700 Classic in 300 Savage with an M8 6x42 or Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 if I decide to switch. It makes small groups with 168 grain Berger VLDs so I may get to try one on a deer this year.
Since I'll be deployed, looks like it will be a Colt M4 in 5.56, with iron sights, along with a Berreta M9 in 9mm to use on anyone who shoots at me!
Kimber Select Grade 7-08 with Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 BC shooting 139 SSTs for Wyoming antelope in October.

Ruger MKII 30-06 with 3x12x50 Schmidt Bender Classic shooting 180 Nosler Partitions for whitetails.

8.5x42 Swarovski ELs for binoculars
For me this year, it is only deer and maybe a little bear hunting in PA. So with that in mind...

Primary: Remington 600 in 338-08 (aka 338Fed) in a McSwirly with a Leupy VXIII 2.5-8 sitting in a set of Talley's LW. My load is a 200gr Hornady SP at 2550fps. The rig is still a virgin as it had to sit out last year to have the stock fitted at McMillan.

Secondary: Remington 600 in 7mm-08 in an EDGE plus same scope and mounts as above. It shoots 139gr IBs at 2900fps.

RH
I will be shooting an Blaser R-93 7mm Remington Mag and some 150 gr Nosler Partitions. It will have to do for the deer and elk I have planned for this season.
.54 Cal Lyman Deerstalker or Great Plains Rifle, sort of like the smokepoles.
For me it's:

Wy mulies and antelope, sako/edge 270 or pre 64-70/edge 30'06
Co. elk, sako/edge 30'06 or the pre 64-70/edge 30'06
Mt antelope sako .270 w/new custom wood stock
Mn. whitetail sako/edge 270

boy it's going to be a busy October!

Winchester model 70 300 WSM and 168 TSX for elk. I'll be going on a backpack/wilderness hunt in October.
[Linked Image]

For deer, I'm not sure. Maybe the 35 Whelen for whitetail?
.50 CAL T/C Omega for the Black Powder Hunt and one of my trusty 30.06's for the rifle season.
Pre-64 M70 300 H&H Mag stoked with 200 grain North Forks for griz/moose/caribou combo...

22 lr in a S&W Airlight revolver for ptarmigan...

Lightweight spinning outfit for char/grayling...
.257 Wthby Vanguard Sub-MOA or Fibermark in .270 Wthby
I have 2 new rifles that have not brought home meat. I will hunt with those 2 rifles until each of them bring home meat. One is a Tikka T3 270 WSM and the other is a Winchester Model 70 270 Win.
Binos for helping a buddy with his CO 1st season hunt.

Rem LSS .300 RUM for 2nd season CO elk and possibly an unlucky bear

Ruger .270 WIN for SD prairie deer in Nov

Both squirt Nosler Partitions, 180g and 130g respectively. Call me old-fashioned. And each will back up the other locked up in my truck. I broke my rifle the first year I hunted in CO, that's one of the crappiest ways to end a season. Trauma by clumsy idiot, not mechanical failure.

I always keep an old Stevens .22/.410 O/U handy in the rig too for camp meat.

Dave
Hawkeye .223/Nikon Monarch 3-9x40

[Linked Image]
.223, huh.

Better wrap that sucker in blue or it won't work.

Or something like that. I can't keep it all straight <G>.
Yup, Got no doubts about it

It's not that it wont work without the blue tape. But rather that it just works better if you have the tape.
Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06.
These days I am using a customized Model 70 SS Classic in 338WM for most everything. Although I picked up a nice old 3006 fn Browning this summer that likely will make it out as well this fall.
Hoyt Trykon for Indiana deer
Kimber 7 WSM for KY deer
T/C Omega .50 cal for Iowa deer
Colo. cow elk- Wby Vanguard Sub-MOA, .270 WSM, 150 gr. NP

Colo. whitetail- Wby Mk. V, .257 Wby, 100 gr. Barnes TSX

Kansas whitetail- Mathews Drenalin bow

Africa plains game- Mathews Drenalin bow
Mauser 98-8x57, Model 7-350 mag, Model 7-308, Taconic M 98Ti-308,
A Bolt Micro Med. - 284, Model 700-300 win.mag., BPS- 10 ga. 750 gr. slug. Not necessarily in that order
WY and CO antelope, Weatherby Accumark in 240 or Weatherby UL 25-06

CO Moose and CO elk, Weatherby UL 30-06

CO deer, Weatherby UL 25-06

AZ bear, Weatherby UL 30-06
300wsm in a Montana for deer.

There will be three 300wsm's in our early High Hunt for mulies.

My son's running a Rem Mtn rifle in 7-08.

Front stuffer for elk. My TC Firehawk in 50 cal gets the green light.
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok
Since I'll be deployed, looks like it will be a Colt M4 in 5.56, with iron sights, along with a Berreta M9 in 9mm to use on anyone who shoots at me!

Dude, I hope you have better luck than all of us.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok

Dude, I hope you have better luck than all of us.

Yea for sure, stay safe brada
Lots of deer (and a black bear if ol' yogi will cooperate wink ) hunting planned this year. I would like to use all of the following but will be totally happy to use any of the following for freezer filling:

The "Green Hornet" .30/06 6x Leupy and either 155 Hornady A-Max or 165 Nosler BT[img]http://[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/hillbillybear_2006/mauserand700003.jpg[/img][/img]

Mauser Type C Military Sporter 8x57, peep sights. Bullet and Load TBD

[img]http://[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/hillbillybear_2006/mauserand700004.jpg[/img][/img]

Remington 700 .340 Wby (its currently wearing a Leupy VXI 3-9) and either 200 grain Hornady or 200 grain CT BT[img]http://[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/hillbillybear_2006/340Weatherby002jpg.jpg[/img][/img]

Custom Tikka T-3 Heavy Barrel .30/06 4.5-14 Nikon with mil-dot reticle (scope in the photo is a 3-9 Pentax Gameseeker) and 155 grain Hornady A-Max

[img]http://[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/hillbillybear_2006/TIKKA3006.jpg[/img][/img]

Model 7 custom 6BR 3-9 Weaver, load TBD:

[img]http://[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/hillbillybear_2006/001.jpg[/img][/img]

Also hope to use :

.280 AI 3-9 Pentax Lightseeker 120 grain Nosler BT

.257 Wby. 4.5-14 Nikon 100 grain Nosler BT

Ruger 7mm WSM 3-9 Sightron with 120 Nosler BT.
In order of use;
Bowtech Allegiance
.257 Roy Vanguard SS SUB MOA w/ Zeiss 4.5-14x50
.300 WSM Winchester Ultimate Shadow Camo SS w/ Zeiss 3.5-10x44
.280 Steyr Prohunter SS w/ Zeiss 3.5-10x44
and possibly a few others if I get the itch!!
Matthews Switchback XT = Indiana deer......maybe KY???
Rem 11/87 12 gauge = Indiana deer if unsuccsessful with above.
or Rem 700 ML in 50 cal if unsuccessful with both of the above.
Maybe just maybe Rem 700 TI in .308 for deer in KY???
Last but not least, if I decide to get a deer tag in AZ with the leftover draw.....my Rem 700 SPS in .300WSM before it gets a makeover.
I dont seem to draw tags anymore these days......... mad
For WY antelope, .264 WM Supergrade, with a .25-06 Featherweight as a backup. For MO deer, Pre-64 Model 88 in 308 with a BLR in 358 for variety.
CA deer and hogs- .280 Rem Mountain Rifle w/140 TSX
NM bull elk----- .300 WSM Kimber Montana w/165 TSX
MT bull elk/deer .338 Ruger tang safety w/225 TSX
I'll be packing Red Sonya; CZ 550 9.3x62 in a McMillan stock, Trijicon 3-9x40 tritium illuminated scope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Jeff & friends,

My primary rifle this year is my NULA M24 .30-'06, and I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .300 RCM that will go in the truck as a backup in case I break something. Or maybe just to have another gun along.

jim
I dunno. I was hoping for a new toy or two but consignment stuff is not going fast enough. I don't think I've got time now to get a new toy and get a load worked up. If that's the case ...

Rem 700 .257 Roberts "LVSF" pattern
Ruger .44 mag super blackhawk hunter
Marlin stainless 45-70 guide gun
TC .58 side lock

... got one deer tag, one bear tag, one cougar tag. I usually only actively hunt deer, the others ... well, if a dumb one wanders by, I'll probably shoot it. Which gun ... depends on weather and cover I'll be hunting in on any given day.

Tom
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I'll be packing Red Sonya; CZ 550 9.3x62 in a McMillan stock, Trijicon 3-9x40 tritium illuminated scope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kick ass! Very nice rifle you got there.
I'm hoping to knock over one of the young bull moose I have running around my place with my 350 rem. mag. shooting 200-grain Hornady Interlock's.

[Linked Image]

bearstalker, any idea how fast you are running those Hornady's?

Nothing they've shown me on blacktail would give me any reason to doubt them... I'm more curious to see how close I am to the speeds you are running, so that I'll know how good my .358 would do on moose with that bullet <g>.

Sharp tail grouse at standing distances of 75-120 yds:

Winchester 9422M - FFII 3-9 40mm and or this guy. (savage .17 HMR)
[Linked Image]

then some of this stuff....
[Linked Image]
4th up on the bottom right is the other magnum rimfire, it'll hopefully see use again on fox, rabits etc.

Rough grouse will likely be any of the 4 lack luster shot guns on the left (870 youth 20, 870 12 mag, custum camo'd stevens single 20, winchester single .410) and possibly the nylon 66 towards the bottom right... and I'll likely ground pound grouse & a few rabits with one or all 3 of the rimfire handguns pictured.

My number 1 for WT is the scoped rifle in the vert lineup on the left M70 fwt 30-06 FFII 3-9, I've been seen carrying the top right rifle to a deer stand for WT although it's primary use is for elk M70 .300 wby FFII 3.5-10 50mm. I will carry the lever above the encore on the right, 1895M, white tail have successfully avoided this rifle thus far but one cow elk caught lead from this stubby thumper in 2005. The other lever I'll carry for WT, is my fav still hunting rifle, this one.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
88 in .308 loopy fixed 4X, love that rifle.

Then for black powder season on WT it'll be the encore pictured with the .50 barrel below it & no scope.

Then for coyotes it'll be these guys. M70 coyote crpf 22-250
[Linked Image]
and old block stock here, also 22-250 & although not as nice to carry as the above pictured it is my go to varmint rifle because of the insane accuracy.
[Linked Image]

so, which ones will I be toting? I try to use or at least carry them all grin

Dave

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
bearstalker, any idea how fast you are running those Hornady's?

Nothing they've shown me on blacktail would give me any reason to doubt them... I'm more curious to see how close I am to the speeds you are running, so that I'll know how good my .358 would do on moose with that bullet <g>.

Average was 2820 fps with max load and 23" pac-nor tube.
You've got 200 fps on me then. Interesting. You've seen them hold together good on big stuff at that speed?
H335 is the powder that I'm running. Powder was about 10 years old and I figured I'd burn it up in the 350. I acquired the rifle over the winter and haven't killed anything with it yet, nor with the 200-grain Hornady's.

Hopefully I'll find out in the next couple of weeks on moose.
Good luck and I can't wait to hear how that bullet does. By all reports, it should do great.

A 308.

Either this one:

[Linked Image]

Or This one.

[Linked Image]
Last time I saw that BLR, it had a stuck case <g>.

Not gonna hunt the DPMS, eh?

That DPMS might be the ultimate hog gun... we just need some feral hogs to get loose up here in Oregon.
Jeff there are Feral hogs in Oregon
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Hoyt Trykon for Indiana deer
Kimber 7 WSM for KY deer
T/C Omega .50 cal for Iowa deer

Check that.

Add a Kimber 257 for KY deer (will have to shoot some does to get blood on the rifle)
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Jeff there are Feral hogs in Oregon

Not enough of them! grin

(just kidding... I know they are a disaster...)
I'll be running the same 223AI as last year for deer.

That's the exit wound you see leaking in the pic.

[Linked Image]
My short list from left to right:
.300 RSUM
.35 Whelen
.300 Win. Mag.
.338 Win. Mag.
.308 Win.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BradArnett
I'll be running the same 223AI as last year for deer.

That's the exit wound you see leaking in the pic.

[Linked Image]

Where are you hunting with that 223AI? I have one, but it's still unfired, liked to give it a run this year if I'm home.
Weatherby Custom Shop All Stainless Mark V 270 WBY MAG
Winchester Model 1895 405 WCF worked over by Z-HAT Custom
BLR Stainless 270 WSM till my brother buys it from me.
AMRA
thismortalcoil, we spend alot of time in Alcona county, and alot over by Fairview. Hope you make it back for the opener!!!
260 Rem, Ruger 77 Mk 2

120 grain ballistic tip
22.5 grains of Blue Dot..
4 power Scope..
i'll be using my .300 Weatherby Mark V Eurosporter.

CP: what rifle is that .338 of yours?
that is one sweet rifle, nice wood and with open sights and all...
(btw is it crossbolted?)
Steffen, my.338 Win. Mag. is built on a stainless model 70 Winchester Classic action with a 22� PAC-NOR barrel, which measures .610� at the muzzle. The stock is a factory take-off from an 06 Classic that was stripped, refinished, bedded and floated with a Pachmayer red recoil pad also added. The 3-9 Swarovski scope is held by Leupold detachable mounts. The New England back-up iron sights are very easy to shoot over and don�t cause any scabbard issues. CP.
Either my Guide gun in 45/70 or my Savage American Classic .308.
Model 700 Remington KS Mountain Rifle in a 7mm Remington Magnum
Kimber 8400 270 WSM, Nikon Monarch 3-9x40
Kimber 84M Montana .308, Leupold VX2 2-7x33
Colt Coltsman(Sako L579 action).243, Nikon Monarch 4-12x40AO
T/C Encore 50 cal ML, 1.75-6 Pentax Lightseeker
Kimberman, how do you like that Lightseeker scope on your Encore? Am looking at the Lightseeker line, thinking of trying one out.
Marty
I like it alot. It has held zero for 3 seasons, is very bright, and has a large FOV. The power range is about perfect for my muzzle loader. Burris used to make the same scope in their Signature series, and I have a suspicion that they are one and the same. I think they are underrated.
for deer im hoping to get my new 700 LSS 257 roy perking with 100grs

elk and bears will see the 300 wsm montana or my .338 if i feel like carrying the weight
thismortalcoil...What kind of stock on the middle rifle? Garrett?
RinB: I think it's a McMillan FW(?);pretty sure......
Ducks, cranes and geese, Winchester Model 12 12 ga, and some with Browning Citori 16 ga.
Sharptail, pheasant and grey partridge, Merkel 211E O/U 16 ga. or AYA #1 SxS 12 ga
Elk, Marlin 1895 45-70 or custom Sako Classic 35 Whelen
Early season Whitetail, Rossi puma .357 mag.
Whitetail and late season ruffed grouse Sauer Drilling 16 x16 x 8x57R
Mule deer - Brno 21H 7x64 Brenneke and maybe Savage 99a .250
Coyotes Sako vixen .222 or Anschutz 1433 .22 hornet
Beaver Win 9422 mag.
Rabbits and ground squirrels CIL/Anschutz 310 .22 LR

that's the plan so far, subject to whim of the moment.
This one, 6.5X55 O/U for big game, and a set of 20 gauge barrels for pheasants, partridge, geese ( yes geese!) and ducks.
[Linked Image]
Cat
I think I'll be doing all my big game hunting this year with primitive weaopons except Antelope which is kind of like fill the freezer to me anyway. Got to the point most of my hunting is by primitive weapon. Just works out that way. Isn't much shooting deer with a rifle when your out there with them every day of the year nearly. Elk on the other hand might give me fits.

Elk - Hoyt Vulcan
WT - Hoyt Vulcan
MD - none this year unless I go back to West Texas and hunt the dunes.

Antelope - whatever is in the truck that 3 days.

All waterfowl including ducks, geese, rails etc... Beretta 686 O/U with custom cracked walnut stock (Custom cracked by the Beretta repair department - then filled with off color epoxy - again by the Beretta repair department).
458 Win Mag/350-gr TSX at 2700 fps for bull moose in Northern Ontario in October.

45-70 Improved in Ruger No.1/350-gr TSX at 2400 fps for black bear in Central Ontario in September.

44 Rem Mag (265-gr Hor. at 1700 fps) and/or 300 Win Mag (190-gr Hor at 3000 fps+) for northern whitetail, coyote, wolf, etc; depending on where I'm hunting on a given day. grin
An old 700 in 264 Win Mag remington with Remington ultrabonded 140 gr pushed by 61 gr H4831sc CCI 250 primers Leupold VX II Heavy duplex. Colo. Buck and Bull tags. Unit 62 public.
CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 hand loaded with 250 grain Nosler Accubonds. I'll use this gun for elk and deer this year.

In VA and WVA...

Pre 64 Model 88 in 308 or
Savage 99 250-300
Marlin 336 in 35 Rem

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

In CA chasing blacktails..

Custom Wby Vanguard in 300 Wby. No pics.

Last few years were good and lucky...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/z3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/turk1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/Montana3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/5point-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/Jeff.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/turkey.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/5point.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/3x2Jeff.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/elk.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/11Point.jpg[/img]
I'll be carrying an AR15 with 240 rounds of 5.56. The sad part (could be a good thing) I doubt I will ever have to even chamer a round.
It is a McMillan Featherweight with a Rick Bin paint job. CP.
I'll be useing my new Hawkeye in .243 for an early season doe.(hopefully) And then smackin' the big boys with a m7600 in .280rem.

Grouse and fall turkey: 800 and 70 wingmaster.

Just pulled the trigger and picked up a 08 browning x bolt hunter 7mm rem mag 26 inch barrel with 3.5X10X50 zeiss conquest. Pick up on friday shooting sat will report back!!
My 11 year old son. He will be toting a 7mm-08.
Don't know any more, because if you read stuff on the fire it can get you mixed up.

See if I take the .308 loaded up fairly hot, it is actually a .30-06 with factory ammo, because that is loaded down these days. Or is it the other way, if I'm using the .30-06?

Then if I load the .06 hot with tsx, I'm actually using a .300WM equivallent from the 60's. Don't have a clue of what I'd be using if I load my .300WM with a hot barnes tsx.

Same with my .280AI. It could be a 7RM or even a 7-08 since I do not have a Chrony.

See how the fire can get you turned around?

Guess I better just grab my old .32WS. Don't think anybody screwed around with that chambering lately.

Battue
Battue, that's classic!

As to your .32WS, you can load the Leverution stuff in it and have an 8x57... or a TSX and have a light-loaded .325 WSM. :-)
Jeff: There you go throwing that intelligent stuff at me again.

Damit according to another thread it took 5 pages for us average guys to find out when we need our .300WM.

Now your trying to make me believe I have 3 different guns in one. Let me think on this awhile.

Battue

Personally I don't think changing loads in any rifle during any one season is a good thing (it's bad).

Sight it in once, and know your bullet drop -

Spot
Please tell me your not serious. Please.

Battue
BWAH..HAHAHAAHhhahhahahaaa

Dude your cool!!!!! whistle

Battue
Just trying to keep my post count up....

DOH!
I'll be using a 375 Chatfield/Taylor for moose and a 257Roberts for WT.

Pumped on the moose hunt as it's the first NB tags I've drawn in 20 years and just by coincidence I had the 375CT built this year before getting the tags. grin
PSE bow for cow elk
30/30 for bear or 7mm if glassing multiple openings on the mountain side
and a 300WM for bull elk

any one of these can be switched with another depending on terrain
smile
white tail in PA, Ruger MarkII, 257 Roberts
I have 3 big game rifles but pretty much only use one of them these days. I have a Rem 700 in 243 and a pre 64 Win Model 70 (my dad bought it in 1960 as a 264 Win Mag and then many years later rebarreled it to 7mm Rem Mag) which are just back up guns now.

My main big game rifle is a Win 70 Classic Stainless in 300 Win Mag. It has a Broughton 5C land barrel installed by Greg Tannel. It shoots the Barnes 180 TSX extremely well.

I also some times carry my Ruger Bisley 45 Colt loaded for bear (using the Beartooth 345 grain WLNGC bullet at 1200 fps). I used it on my 2007 spring bear and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Rufous.
My new CZ 550FS 9.3X62 with an oldie Leupold 4X. Hornady 286 SP over 57.5gr RL15.
mk5 sporter .270 win. for deer. maybey i'll bring out the savage 340 30-30, it's not fancy but it always has put meat on the table and it shoots really well. for elk it's a remi 700 bdl 300win 2.5-10 4200 scope, 68gr h4350 pushing 180gr speer tbbc, this is my current half inch gun. if i could ever get out to the range for load development, a steyr mannlicher 9.3x62 for the timber, i may just go shoot a deer w/it also. side arm s&w 629 i bought off of sbshooter. this is my most recent 120yd bowling pin hand gun, but for deer i'll limit it to 70 yds.
For deer thinken the Model 70 SS Classic in 270 WSM shooting 140gr TSX with RL22...
For hogs maybe 12gage Beretta OO buck shot...
For Ducks 12gage Beretta #4 and #2 shot...
Well folks happy camper here!
Took out the new stick and pushed a box of shells through her. Shoots like a dream, not completly sighted in but already shooting good groups, cant wait for tight groups.
Has a loud bark,not bad kick. Using 160gr Barnes triple shock x for hunting have no prior experience with them, should be good
Anyone thinking of the new Brownings? Don't wait they are sweet!!

Originally Posted by Tturbo
Just pulled the trigger and picked up a 08 browning x bolt hunter 7mm rem mag 26 inch barrel with 3.5X10X50 zeiss conquest. Pick up on friday shooting sat will report back!!
For the antelope and coues hunts this fall, hopefully this 6.5 WSM built on a Winchester Super Grade will bark twice. Scope is a Leupod VXIII 4.5-14x40 w/ B&C reticle. Loaded with 130 Sciroccos @ 3260 fps

[Linked Image]

For the bull elk hunt, either one of these 300 WSMs. Kimber in French walnut and Conquest 3.5-10x44, or the HS Precision w/ Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x50. Am working up loads with the E-Tips.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rica's favorite gun this fall will be the Weatherby Athena 12 ga.

[Linked Image]

Doug~RR
RedRabbit,

That super grade is sweet! Very, very nice!
Cooper M52 in .280 Remington, 150 gr. Partitions for deer and aoudad. Cooper is a new rifle this year, retired my Sako 75 in .280 for it.
Boy i just read through this whole thread and more confused then ever. I was thinking of going all Marlin Leverguns this yr with my 336 30-30, 336 35 rem and just aquired Marlin 1893 30-30 made in 1915.

Then I look at my "modern" guns and love carrying my Weatherby SBGM in 338-06. Newly aquired Weatherby Fibermark in 243 needs to be bloodied.

CT State land season will be 20 ga Mossberg Slug gun.

I guess it may come down to what is shooting the best at the time I leave for Maine and VT
Ruger M77R 7x57 loaded with 175 grain Hornadys;
Ruger M77R MkII 6.5x55 loaded with 140 grain Sierras or Speers;
Ruger M77RS 35 Whelen with NECG peep, loaded with 250 grain Speers;
Marlin 336 Texan 30-30 loaded with 170 grain Core-Lokts.

-
Big Redhead,

But... those cup-n-cores are just going to blow up, leaving nothing but a patch of singed hide!

You need to run TSX's man! Didn't you get the memo?
Ducks: Ruger Red Label early season in the swamps; Beretta 3.5 Extrema for the big water when the divers arrive.

Squirrels: Anschutz 141M, Sako Quad or (Belgian)Browning Auto

Birds: Merkel 1620 16 gauge or Fox Sterlingworth 16 gauge

Deer: The only thing for sure is Encore .50X209 inline for ML, after that some combination of Ruger 7mm Rem. Mag, Encore with .25-06AI barrel installed, Kimber 8400 .300WSM, Sako 85 6.5X55, Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun, Savage 99 .303, Ruger No.1 .308, Colt HBAR .223, S&W .41 mag, .44mag, .500mag. Depends on which way the wind's blowing when I get up in the morning, what kind of mood I'm in, and what magazine article I read at bedtime.
Depends on what I am hunting...I got 6 tags.. 2 antelope, 2 elk and 2 deer plus I get to help a old/good friend find and kill a moose! grin Life is good in Wyoming!

TSX? NEver shot one, never will. Stay with the old standby's that have always worked for me.

Real men don't shoot TSX's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whistle
Big Redhead,

But... those cup-n-cores are just going to blow up, leaving nothing but a patch of singed hide!

You need to run TSX's man! Didn't you get the memo?

Yeah, I've been reading "the memo" for a long time, along with everyone else. I'm pleased enough with the performance of heavier jacketed slugs at moderate velocity. The older I get the less likely I am to be impressed with "new" ideas, and I'm not what most folks would call "old" (except for my kids). On the other side of the coin, it is just my preference, not that everyone else has to agree. I'm glad there is a variety of bullets out there for folks to choose from, just like there is a variety of fundamentally sound churches to choose from (I just wish more folks would choose one).

-
One of my 35 Whelens, CDL or a Classic for elk. A 270 winchester for deer close to home.
My A-5. Dove & quail only this fall. Didn't get drawn for big game(Of course, I didn't put in since my first is otw ;))
Sounds like you bagged some big game about, oh, 8 months ago though <g>!

Congrats. Kids are the best.
Rem 700 .338WM for moose, 225 TSX

Sako Finnlight .308, 165 IB's, for deer (maybe with EGDE if its here in time)

Rem 7600 .308 running backup,

NEF Huntsman, with .25acp conversion, for late season deer...
6mmPPC with 85 gr. Partitions for deer where they actually let a guy use a deer rifle. 215 gr. cast GC .358" boolit in my .357 Max Encore barrel in the rifle-free state of Iowa. 12 gauge 26" Citori for flying things, and my great-grandpa's Stevens 44 1/2 target rifle, complete with external adjustment 6x J.C. Stevens scope and CCI Short HPs for smacking the squirrels into a stew pot.
Selmer

338-06 with 210 NP's for my first Maine moose hunt!..so excited I can't stand it!..Interarms MKX action with 23" McGowen barrel..and my M7 7-08 with 154 Horn RN's or M70 308 with 180gr Horn RN's for deer.
Sounds like you bagged some big game about, oh, 8 months ago though <g>!

Congrats. Kids are the best.

whistle
Thumper,

Congrats on the Maine Moose tag, whereabouts you huntin'? Definately let us know the outcome and the setup should be perfect
This year I will be using my Left Hand Mauser 35 Whelen for most of my hunting. I will be shooting Nosler 225 grain BTs for deer & black bear.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For my Colorado elk hunt coming up soon I will be using my Lft Hand weatherby Mark V in 300 wby...just like last year. I shoot 200 grain Nosler partiotions from it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Got a new Ruger 77 MKII compact SS in .308. About the length of a BB gun, use on TX whitetails. Stepping down from a 7Mag with 24" barrel, think the new rifle will be much easier to handle.
This year I will be toting as my main bangstick, a Marlin 444S in .444 Marlin with a Leupold m8 2.5x scope and a Williams FP receiver sight and a Williams firesight front. I plagarized Stanton's idea from beartooth bullets and chopped the scope mount down a bit with my dremel so I wouldn't have to remove the peep sight. For my backup gun, I have a Ruger m77mk2 lefty .30-06 with a Leupold VX-1 2-7x33.

As far as loads go, my reloading stuff is still in shambles, so the Marlin is eating 265 gr. Hornady Light Mag ammo, but I picked up a couple boxes of the Leverevolution stuff to try out. The Ruger will be eating those beautiful Winchester 150 grain Silvertips.
I leave next Saturday for a 14 day fly in, horseback trip in northeastern BC for elk, moose, caribou and bear. I will be using my old Ruger tang 35 Whelen and the 225 gr TSX.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Tony: Cool mounts on the Ruger.What kind are they?
Kimber SuperAmerica .22 rimfire
Grulla 20 ga sidelock
Ruger M77 Custom 257 Roberts
Weatherby Vanguard VGX 30-06 Springfield
and maybe a Winchester Model 42 Skeet Grade
I can't hit anything with my handguns
Scopes include Leupold 2.5x8/257, Elite 4200/30-06,3x9 EFR/.22
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Tony: Cool mounts on the Ruger.What kind are they?

Those look like the pair of S&K mounts I have on a No.1.
http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html#

© 24hourcampfire