Home
Posted By: DJTex What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
We had some friends over yesterday, and the guys were itching to do a little dove hunting on opening day, so we headed out despite the fact that there aren't many birds around yet.

A friend and his dad, along with my boys and I, started out walking some fields, but it was pretty slow and my boys are 3 and 5, so I decided to head for a water hole and see if the boys could sit still long enough to get in a little shooting. My buddies were having enough action that they were enjoying themselves, so we headed up to the north end of the place and let them continue walking fields with a plan that they would end up at one tank and my boys and I would hunt the other.

The boys and I parked the pickup a good piece from the tank (pond to y'all non-Texans...grin), and headed up the draw behind the tank dam thinking we might jump some birds on the way in. The boys were tromping along behind me, bb-gun and toy shotgun in hand, ear-muffs firmly in place to keep them from being deaf like Daddy, and having a ball.

As we eased into the draw, I noticed a deer several hundred yards beyond the tank and heading in our direction - obviously coming to water. Nothing unusual, but a second look showed not one of our usual Hill Country whitetails, but a flash of white on the brisket and spots that I could begin to make out even from quite a distance - an axis deer!

My wheels began to turn as I remembered the free ranging axis that we had seen on 3 or 4 other occassions through the past 4 to 5 years. A few weeks earlier, my Dad and I had seen a little bunch that included 4 or 5 bucks and a few does, with one buck that looked like a real bruiser. We were moving horses at the time, and had neither the time nor the right rifle to do more than look, but we got a pretty good view of him - enough that I swapped my usual 223 coyote killer truck gun for my Remington Mountain Guide 243 stoked with 85 grain Barnes TSX's. I had been keeping an eye peeled for these axis deer, but in years past they had never showed up to stay - always passing through not to be seen for weeks or months or even years later. Accordingly, I didn't much think I'd see them again, and hadn't thought too much about it other than questioning whether Dad and I should have stopped working and started hunting when we had the chance!

Well, my regrets at the opportunity lost turned quickly to hope at a new chance at this beautiful old buck, so I stopped the boys and we hustled back to the truck where I traded my 12 gauge for the Remington 243. This rifle loves 85 grain TSX's and was dialed in, but I had yet to take an animal with it. I hoped that was about to change.

We slipped down into the draw and began to approach the stock tank for the second time. I noted gratefully that the wind was perfect - in our face and quartering just a bit - and that the afternoon sun over my left shoulder was just about perfect as well. This stalk was taking shape, but I wondered if I could pull it off with my 3 year old and 5 year old hunting buddies. I didn't worry about it much, though, since I doubted the big boy was with the lone axis doe I had seen, anyway.

As we approached the tank, the boys had fallen behind me a bit, so I was able to crawl to a little cedar and peer through before they arrived. There was an axis deer at the water hole, but I saw no antlers. I eased back as the boys caught up, grateful for the dam which afforded such perfect cover for our approach. Their eyes were sparkling with excitement, and I cautioned them with hand motions to be quiet and stay low.

Motioning for them to crawl behind me, I circled west to get better cover and to line up the sun a little better behind us on the one deer I had seen. As I crawled back up and peered through a very thick cedar which screened us from the deer, I saw 4 or 5 animals at waters edge, with one buck in velvet with only small nubs showing looking right at me from about 50 yards. I froze, and a minute later, he moved up to drink. As he did, another buck appeared through the limbs which hid me. It was the big boy!

I couldn't believe his mass and body size, or the height of his antlers that seemed to tower three feet above his head. I didn't have long for buck fever to set in, because he had finished his drink and was leaving. What a kind providence of God that the timing was perfect, allowing us to approach undetected and arrive just as the animals were drinking. The low water of the tank due to the drought had required the little herd of axis to move low into the tank to get to water, which hid us perfectly as we approached. The hurricane in the gulf had a north wind blowing - almost unheard of for late summer in Texas. I really believed the Lord had blessed us in a special way to allow this experience and successful stalk with my young sons.

As the biggest buck turned away and started out of the tank and up the hill, I knew I was going to have to be quick to get on him. I stood as he passed behind a little more cover, and eased left a slow half step. I was still screened almost completely, but now I could take an off-hand shot over the brush if one became available. This opened up a good shooting lane in the direction he was headed. There was no possibility for a rest, but I hoped at 70 yards I wouldn't need it. I brought the rifle to my shoulder, the Kahles 3-9 set at its normal 6 power.

The sight picture jumped into focus as the big buck moved across open ground heading uphill to thick cedar, and I snicked the safety forward and slid the cross hair to his shoulder, confident the 85 grain TSX would break the near shoulder and reach vitals. I touched off the shot as I swung the rifle to match his walk, and heard the bullet whack him solidly in the shoulder. He half reared, and plunged up the hill and out of sight, taking the rest of the herd with him. I watched him as far as I could follow him, and felt confident when I saw through the brush that it appeared that the rest of the herd had stopped their run at less than 100 yards and begun to mill a bit. When they moved off, another buck was in the lead, and I didn't see the big boy.

I turned to my boys. My 5 year old exclaimed, "I think you got him, Daddy! I saw where he went!"

I told the boys that we needed to wait a bit and not push him, but that I thought we had made a good hit and had him. I had hardly finished the sentence when my phone rang - it was my Dad asking where we were hunting so he could come join us. Five minutes earlier, and the phone's ring would have blown the whole stalk. Not luck, in my opinion, but providential blessing in the timing, yet again.

We waited for Dad. When he arrived a few minutes later, we headed to the spot of the shot. A good blood trail was soon spotted as we headed toward the last place I had seen him, and we found him easily. I don't know a whole lot about axis deer, but I know this is a good one, especially for a free range buck that just showed up on the ranch where I was raised.

[Linked Image]

The boys were pretty excited, to say the least!

[Linked Image]

My Dad was pretty happy, as well! I'm sure grateful for his photo assistance (he's getting pretty good!), and I never would have loaded this brute by myself. As it was we nearly ruptured something with two of us.

[Linked Image]

A few more for good measure!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There's the water hole in the background - we drug him back this way to get the truck to him - but he still didn't go over 70 or 80 yards.

[Linked Image]

Look at the neck on him...he's a bruiser, and an old timer as well.

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c...8/ChildrenDeerCovRanch08RobertsSpr-1.jpg[/img]

Of course, I had to get him out of the Texas heat in a hurry. Again, providentially, the owner of the cold storage facility happens to be an official scorer for Trophy Game Records of the World Records of Exotics. I knew he was a good buck, but when we pulled up, he said, "That's a big axis!" He immediately went to get his tape and scored him while we were there. According to the scoring system, 134" is Gold Medal, IIRC from what the scorer told me. This buck scored over 154, with main beams well over 33 inches, and all other points over a foot long, and great mass. I really like his matching little stickers, as well. I don't obsess over that stuff, especially if I just like the way a buck looks, but it is icing on the cake on an absolute dream of an afternoon hunt. Our hunting season is off to quite a start!

To take this beauty, while dove hunting, with my sons pulling off a pretty neat stalk with me, as it played out as described above...well, it's hard for me to put into words.

I reckon the best I can do is, "Thank you, Lord!"

DJ
All I can say is it is way too cool that you were fortunate enough to have your young ones along!

The one cool thing I've learned from taking my Grandson who just turned 9 is they totally enjoy the hunt. The could care less about the record books, bullet BC's, prem bullets and such gack.

They just love the heck out of getting out there and doing it.

Good 4 you 4 taking them along!

Dober
Posted By: Tom264 Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
Originally Posted by DJTex

I reckon the best I can do is, "Thank you, Lord!"

DJ

He's the only reason I have the game I have killed in my lifetime, what a beautiful buck, I also dont know too much about Axis deer but he looks bigger than anything I have ever seen.
Congrats and thanks for the story.
Posted By: utah708 Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
The picture of the boys standing behind the buck with the bb gun is a classic for the ages.
Posted By: DDP Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
That picture of you, your boys, and your Axis buck is one of the best hunting photos I've ever seen. No greater trophy to be had on this earth. I can't wait untill my son is old enough to accompany me chasing fish and game.
Posted By: antlers Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
Your buck has great main beams, great brow tines, and great caudal tines...he also has great mass. And the venison from Axis deer is second to none. That's a really nice buck, and your pictures are great, especially the one of your boys and you with the deer. Congratulations.
Posted By: TomT Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
WOW! That's a day you, and both boys will remember for life. As others have said, it's a great thing that your young boys were part of that memorable (if not planned) hunt.

That's a GREAT animal. Thanks for sharing the story and pix. -TomT
Posted By: GregW Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
DJ,

Great job across the board...

Very, very nice axis...
Posted By: Mauserkid Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
Awsome stuff, great pics, great Axis, just great....

Say, how did the little 85 grainer do as far as damage.. We know its dead, but as far as internal/bone crushing?
Posted By: hotsoup Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
very nice! great memories for yourself and those two lads. congrats......
Posted By: 721_tomahawk Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
Man, that is a HOG! Great day with the kids, for sure. I know everyone's DYIN to hear how the TSX performed, so I'll be the first to ask.... what did the insides look like?

OK, I wasnt the first!!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
Great story and great pics. Thanks. That's my kind of dove hunt!
Posted By: medicman Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
I agree that the Lord has blessed you, and giving credit to Him is appropriate. Probably you are a great influence on your boys both in the field and in The Book, and spiritual side of life. I get all warm and fuzzy when I se a Dad taking his kids hunting. Sharing your life with them will pay dividends in both these and latter years. Great hunt but greater memories.

Randy
Posted By: rost495 Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
Good job!! I've got one maybe 32 inches, never scored him as I don't believe in that, to me its all in the hunt and your story tells me you got a trophy regardless, this one is big enough no one will argue, will eat great, and look great on the wall! I like the mass too.

85tsx are pretty high in my book to so far.

Jeff
Posted By: horse1 Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
Just think of the "My daddy's the best hunter alive" stories they can now tell just as school is gearing back up! Even better, they helped.

Having taken several whitetails with the 243Win and 85 TSX's, they kill far better than one would think 85's could.
Posted By: stumpy Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
What a great story! I expect none of you will ever forget the day "Daddy shot that huge Axis over by the tank".
That is a very good Axis. I killed a good one several years ago, but I think your is a little bigger.
Thanks for sharing.

stumpy
I helped a bud take his first black bear (acutally it was part blonde and part red) this spring with a 85 TSX out of my 6/06.

It absolutely crunched the bruin and the bone and tissue destruction no doubt got my attention...

Now back to the original story!

Dober
Posted By: DJTex Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
Thanks, guys! I agree - the most important part of the hunt was having the boys with me and emphasizing how grateful we should be to the Lord for His blessing and the opportunity to have such an experience together.

The boys are just almost always with me if there's any way they can be (for most of my play and lots of my work) - it's funny, so many neat things and experiences have come our way just because we were together. I'm so grateful they can be with me so much! It's more work looking after them, and sometimes what I'm doing is too dangerous or too mature or too something, but making the extra effort to have them if possible is always worth it!

More details later...but the little TSX's mulched his vitals and shattered his shoulder - didn't flatten him like might have happened with a little more weight out of my 7-08 or 270, but he didn't run 100 yards.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Much appreciated, and I'm pleased y'all are enjoying the story and pics.

DJ
Posted By: FLNative Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
DJ,

Well, you're certainly off to the right start! That's awesome, man! Beautiful deer, great experience, and with the boys along to make it all perfect! You got it right on all the little details, too. When that small stuff gets provided, I don't ask why, I just thank the Good Lord for it!

Congratulations to you and the boys!! What a memory to start the season with!

May the blessings continue . . . wink

Best -
Andy
Posted By: ironbender Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
Nice buck. And think, hunting in short sleeves and blue jeans is just unheard of 'round here! smile
Posted By: olhippie Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
...Great memories there DJ, and wonderful life lessons for your sons. I know your father enjoyed it all too! Thanks for sharing...Ian
Posted By: Murf Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
Great story all around.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: What an afternoon... - 09/02/08
That's pretty cool DJ.

Your boys won't ever forget that day!
Posted By: DJTex Re: What an afternoon... - 09/03/08
Thanks again, guys.

I know there's some interest in bullet performance by the TSX 85's.

Believe it or not, it may still be flying. It demolished the near shoulder and sent some bone fragments into the vitals. It made soup of his lungs. He was completely broadside, and the bullet continued through the offside shoulder and exited leaving a modest exit hole which bled thoroughly, as did the entrance wound. Blood trail was good on both sides, and and he traveled about 70-80 yards and piled up. The shot was 70 to 80 yards as well, and it rocked him, but didn't knock him down.

I had no way to weigh him, but I am guessing well over 200 lbs live weight, maybe over 250 - I'm just not sure, but he was heavy to load and looked more like a yearling steer in some ways than a deer.

I'm a bit surprised, given his size. I expected a perfectly mushroomed bullet in the offside shoulder, but it went through and all I found was one petal which it shed.

So there's a bit more info on some pretty impressive performance out of the little 243 with 85 TSX's.

DJ
Posted By: tx270 Re: What an afternoon... - 09/03/08
And I thought I had a good day by limiting out on dove in about an hour and a half yesterday morning!

Good job DJ and super that your boys were along!!

Bill
Originally Posted by utah708
The picture of the boys standing behind the buck with the bb gun is a classic for the ages.

One of my 2 favorites...probably number 1 since the one with me in it has me in it...grin.

Thanks,

DJ
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: What an afternoon... - 09/03/08
Load those boys up, take a trip to the mini-mart for a slurpee. Have 'em tell the clerk about the hunt, while you buy a lottery ticket.......
Originally Posted by DDP
That picture of you, your boys, and your Axis buck is one of the best hunting photos I've ever seen. No greater trophy to be had on this earth. I can't wait untill my son is old enough to accompany me chasing fish and game.

I've never had more fun hunting than when they're with me. You are in for a serious treat!

Funny, I've never had more buck fever than when one of them is the shooter and I'm trying to get them a shot - at least on their first deer. It is off the charts fun!

DJ
Posted By: SamOlson Re: What an afternoon... - 09/03/08

One of my 2 favorites...probably number 1 since the one with me in it has me in it...grin.

Thanks,

DJ

That pic takes the cake.

You outta frame it DJ.
Thanks Antlers, TomT and G$ - Antlers - that's word for word what the guy who scored him said. I just know I really liked him and was wishing pretty hard to see him again after the first sighting.

It's funny to me to see bucks in velvet, no antlers, and hard antlers at the same time - very different to this old whitetail junky.

Thanks again, guys.

DJ
Thanks, Sam. Plannin' on it, and maybe another one or two besides.

DJ
Posted By: rost495 Re: What an afternoon... - 09/03/08
That buck went 225/250 on the hoof from my experience.

The best I've seen went 40/41 basically on length which is what we gauged by generally when guiding(I know all the other stuff that it needs to score good but we used length when talking amongst the guides)

As to you thinking a larger gun would drop em.... lets just say I've seen a bunch shot from say 308 up to a lot of 300 mags used, the ONLY ones I've seen dropped on the spot were via CNS hits.

And I've shot about 3 as backup shots as they approached thickets, running a bunch of 168 BTs given to me as factory ammo in my 300 wtby... They would not even flinch hardly. Not even on grazing unaware meat shots in the ribs... of course my one buck that I took for me, was in a super sloppy wet field with the above load, and I placed it a bit far back on purpose to make sure he at least ran out of the 300x600 yard field so I could get a truck to him as I was on my own.... liver through and through and bang flop.... But generally they are not like deer, and can take a LOT of killing.

Good job, Jeff
Thanks, Jeff - that's helpful.

I'd honestly guess him at around 250 or so, but I didn't want to exaggerate - but if you made me commit, that's what I would lean toward.

I'm really looking forward to the table fare - I've had some which was just roasted and very plainly prepared, and it is top notch.

Making lots of steaks.

On the toughness, I concur, Jeff. A whitetail shot like him usually is DRT IME. The little pill actually trashed one shoulder, souped the vitals and broke the off shoulder, although it penciled through it more and didn't devastate it as much.

There were a bunch of bone chips in the heart and lungs, and he was dead in less than 30 seconds, I believe - probably way less.

DJ
Mauser & 721'Hawk - the little TSX was IMPRESSIVE to say the least - really surprised it exited on double shoulders while doing as much damage in the process.

Dober's right on these little pills.

DJ
JG - thanks - I could get obsessed with dove hunting if this happened very often.

Medic,

Appreciate the encouragement to go the right way with the boys - I'm trying to be the right influence, by the grace of God. I fail too often, but these boys forgive me over and over. It's amazing the bond God creates with a father and his children.

I agree with the dividends in years to come when we do things for the right reasons and out of love for God and our family. What an amazing thing that He has so blessed us in allowing us to enjoy His creation!

I'm grateful...

DJ
It is something what a hero Daddy can be in the eyes of these little guys!

Very humbling, and very fun - makes me want to be the man they think I am!

Thanks for the kind words,

DJ
I honestly never expected to get a crack at one, much less one like this. I thought I might shoot one for a pretty hide and the great meat, but wouldn't shoot a buck unless he was something I really liked - and this one sure fit that bill!

What did you shoot yours with? Was it a Texas hunt?

I have always thought they were the prettiest and most unique trophies - just the hide is a prize.

I'm still not sure what to do, but I've saved every inch of skin (not just the cape), and I think I'm going to put him on the wall and rug him out somehow if I can make both work.

I think a pretty straight view on a shoulder mount might be pretty magnificent!

DJ
Posted By: Razkul99 Re: What an afternoon... - 09/03/08
That hunt is going to be hard to beat EVER! Congrats.
Posted By: Brad Re: What an afternoon... - 09/03/08
Dynamite DJ!
Posted By: 700LH Re: What an afternoon... - 09/03/08
Way to go DJTex.
Some might say you were lucky and to a certain extent that may be so, but it is so much more. You were thinking, planing just in case, had the 243 long, One thing above all others is, we can't get the game if we are not out in the field. Couple of times in the past that has held so true for me, but not near as nice as your beautiful deer.
Congrats to you! and what a bonus to have the boys along.
Posted By: stumpy Re: What an afternoon... - 09/03/08
We were hunting a low fence ranch in mid summer near Leakey. There were lots and lots of Axis, really calling during the rut. I heard one as I stalked a group of does. He came over the hill and I immediately knew he was the one. I hit him through the lungs with a .270 with 130 grains and he went about 50 yards before flipping head over heels. I was afraid he would break those 33" horns. My Axis had snow-white horns. I think I was told it was because they had just come out of velvet and hadn't been rubbed, but that sounded backwards to me. We weighed him gutted at 170 lbs.
Anyway, I had a nice "pedestal" type shoulder mount to show off more hide. More impressive mount than my biggest whitetail. I also had a pillow made for the ranch couch. Only one I ever shot, but definitely one trip my buddies and I will never forget.
Thanks again for sharing your trophy with us.

stumpy
Any pics of your mount, Stumpy?

I'd love to see them - I'm looking for ideas and already saving up...this one might be expensive!

But, since he just showed up as a gift during a free family & friends dove hunt on the ranch I grew up on, I'm not complaining about taxidermy!!

Yours sure sounds like a beauty! Near a twin to mine, at least in beam length - I think mine's longer beam was like 33 7/8, and the shorter right at 33. I think the long tines and mass helped him a good bit on the score, and they sure make him pretty!

DJ
Posted By: Daveh Re: What an afternoon... - 09/03/08
VERY NICE DJ. Congratulations!!!!

I'm ignorant on this stuff, no set season because they are not native or??

Just wonderning.

Daev
Originally Posted by FLNative
DJ,

Well, you're certainly off to the right start! That's awesome, man! Beautiful deer, great experience, and with the boys along to make it all perfect! You got it right on all the little details, too. When that small stuff gets provided, I don't ask why, I just thank the Good Lord for it!

Congratulations to you and the boys!! What a memory to start the season with!

May the blessings continue . . . wink

Best -
Andy

Sure appreciate it, Andy. It's really quite a start to the season - hope it is going to be one of those special seasons, although it will be regardless!

Thanks,

DJ
Originally Posted by ironbender
Nice buck. And think, hunting in short sleeves and blue jeans is just unheard of 'round here! smile

Too hot for more! IME, it's movement and wind a whole lot more than the latest and greatest camo that is the key to success, (within reason of course - I don't wear white t-shirts to hunt - grin.)

We came in below the dam and there were enough cedars on top to crawl around that we stayed hidden, even with the 3 of us.

The sun helped too, and the wind was just right.

DJ
Originally Posted by olhippie
...Great memories there DJ, and wonderful life lessons for your sons. I know your father enjoyed it all too! Thanks for sharing...Ian

You're right on both - my Dad was pretty fired up! He's getting more enthused about good pictures all the time - he never paid that much attention to them, but he's seen how much enjoyment they add, and he's thinking of them and wanting to take them now.

We've had some good hunts and times, and I'm sure grateful we're continuing it with the children - I had two daughters kill their first deer along with my son last year, and it was a pretty big event for them.

DJ
Thanks Murf & Tx270.

Tx - I was thinking getting a bird to fly withing shotgun range was going to be a victory with as few birds as we were seeing and as much as the boys were moving around, but it sure got better in a hurry. It just worked out perfect...

DJ
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Load those boys up, take a trip to the mini-mart for a slurpee. Have 'em tell the clerk about the hunt, while you buy a lottery ticket.......

Laughin'...One of those days when it seems everything is going your way, for sure!

Thanks,

DJ
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Thanks,

DJ

That pic takes the cake.

You outta frame it DJ.

That pic actually motivated me to try to have an avatar. Got it in there, but it's kind of scraggly...Guess my pic is too poor or too big or too something. Old camera...grin.

DJ
Originally Posted by Razkul99
That hunt is going to be hard to beat EVER! Congrats.

Probably sums it up better than all my blather...grin. I'm practicing for my next career as an outdoor writer!

DJ
Originally Posted by Brad
Dynamite DJ!

Thanks, Brad!

A little of your snow sure would have been handy - I was huffin' and puffin' trying to get him photographed, gutted and loaded and off to cold storage before he spoiled in our heat!

DJ
Originally Posted by 700LH
Way to go DJTex.
Some might say you were lucky and to a certain extent that may be so, but it is so much more. You were thinking, planing just in case, had the 243 long, One thing above all others is, we can't get the game if we are not out in the field. Couple of times in the past that has held so true for me, but not near as nice as your beautiful deer.
Congrats to you! and what a bonus to have the boys along.

It's great to be blessed, but we have to be ready to do our part when the opportunity is presented.

I often say we aren't going to kill a deer sleeping in or loafing around the house - we gotta get out there and expect success and be ready to capitalize on it when it comes.

DJ
Posted By: stumpy Re: What an afternoon... - 09/03/08
Sent PM about photos.
My buddy had his last Axis full body mounted. My house is too small for another big animal body!

stumpy
Posted By: Texas Hunter Re: What an afternoon... - 09/03/08
Really nice DJTex.
And great pictures as well.

Though i have never killed an Axis i have heard from two guys that have that the meat beats WhiteTail venison all day long in taste and tenderness.

Fwiw about ten years ago i was hunting on a ranch near Rock Springs in a tower stand about 80 yards from the next ranches fenceline(no i was not hunting the fenceline)when something near dark caught my eye in the very thick cedar.
After a minute or two i saw nothing and thought it was perhaps a bird flicking thru the brush.
It was getting near the end of legal shooting light when i looked back that way and saw what i thought was the biggest Whitetail buck that had ever lived!!
It gave me such a start that my temples throbbed from the adreneline rush.
Then of course looking at it with binoculars i realized it was an Axis.
Sure wished he would have been on our side of the fence because he was truely grand.
Congratulations.
Posted By: clark98ut Re: What an afternoon... - 09/04/08
Nice Axis DJ! Very nice! Now put one of those backstraps on the grill!

-Dan
Posted By: DJTex Re: What an afternoon... - 09/04/08
A couple of other funny and providential details we were talking about last night...

As we got to the tank dam, my youngest boy realized he had fallen a bit behind and might miss some of the action, so he came the last 30-40 yards at a 3 year old dead run - eyes on the ground and dove hunting ear muffs in place so that he couldn't hear if I had tried to call softly to slow him down. As he reached the bottom of the dam, I had spotted the deer and was edging back to move around to a shooting lane, and he looked up and spotted me motioning for him to slow down and be quiet. My 5 year old, seasoned hunter that he is, was creeping up and hoping little brother didn't blow out all the deer.

Well, the little guy saw me and immediately stopped and hunkered half way up the tank dam and began side-hilling around to follow me in a little duck walk - cutest thing you ever saw. Big brother was creeping up, and I turned back to trying to crawl around to where I could get a shot.

As I said above, I was able to ease around and get a shot as the big Axis was leaving. My oldest was ready, and watched the deer run and knew exactly where the big one was last we were able to see him, but his little brother was still hunkered on the fairly steep tank dam when I shot. The shot startled him a little, even though he had his hearing protection on. He was in a pretty good classic Texas hunker when I shot, and when he flinched a little at the shot, he just did a backward roll right over and rolled back down the tank dam. He came up grinning, never lost his grip on his toy pistol which he had swapped for his toy shotgun, and big brother and I about fell over laughing.

Speaking of his leaving his shotgun at the truck, that probably helped save the stalk as well. It's one of those that has batteries and makes noise when you cock it and a pretty loud sound when it shoots. Either would have blown our stalk, but his little pistol barely clicks any more.

Just one more thing that went perfect on a perfect day...

DJ
Posted By: waterbug Re: What an afternoon... - 09/04/08
DJ,

What a story. Great pictures by your Dad.
Posted By: skudrunner Re: What an afternoon... - 09/04/08
Awesome story, awesome pics, awesome buck. Congratulations.
Posted By: ChipM Re: What an afternoon... - 09/04/08
Very nice and some great pixs. Gives me confidence in using my 243 this year. Nice start to the season
Originally Posted by Daveh
VERY NICE DJ. Congratulations!!!!

I'm ignorant on this stuff, no set season because they are not native or??

Just wonderning.

Daev

Thanks, Dave.

I put the buck in my friend's (and taxidermist) freezer after caping him out. I told him I had killed a good axis buck and he told me where to put it at his shop, but he wasn't there when I dropped it off. He called me yesterday and said he almost fell over when he opened the freezer. He went on and on about him, and he doesn't usually do that - I'm thinking a buck this big may be more unusual than I realized. I'm probably enjoying this hunt and buck as much as any I've ever taken.

Dave,

As to the season, once these exotics establish a wild population (and when they're high fenced as well, for that matter), there is no closed season on them. A hunter does have to have a valid license, but there's no closed season. The bucks are usually in hard antler during the summer, but they vary in when they grow and shed and breed.

Another interesting wrinkle - I had bought my license the morning I shot him so that I could go dove hunting. My old one had expired the day before, so if not for the dove hunt causing me to get a license, I couldn't have legally taken him. Yet another detail that went just perfect on a day when it seemed nothing could go wrong.

I was supposed to grill venison steak fajitas for our dinner guests that evening, but my Dad took over cooking while I took care of the deer and got him to a cooler. I felt bad about being late (although the guys went with me to drop him off), but my wife was very understanding. When she saw the pictures, she was about speechless and said she wouldn't have passed him up either - dinner to grill or not! What a woman...grin!

DJ
Thanks, Texas Hunter!

I've admired the beauty of these deer for years, but never had an opportunity to hunt them. Like you, I've seen them on other ranches and seen pics and mounts and eaten venison from them - (which was second to none!), but never thought I'd get a chance at one like this one!

Grand is a pretty good description - not sure there's a prettier combination of antlers and coat than on a big axis buck.

DJ

Thanks, Dan.

My grill and I will be enjoying some real quality time in the near future!

DJ
Originally Posted by waterbug
DJ,

What a story. Great pictures by your Dad.

Thanks, WB. We have been blessed with quite a few photo-ops lately, and we are getting better at getting good pics.

I think we had a smudge on the lens that messed up a few of the pics, but they still came out pretty good.

A little attention to detail really helps - get the tongue in his mouth, wipe off blood from his face, lay him out where he's pretty, position the hunters - I'm no photographer, but it is really satisfying to get some good pics.

We take a bunch - probably took 30 plus, which is fewer than normal because we were in a hurry due to the heat. Digital is great - take enough and there are usually a few good ones in there. It's funny though, we must be getting better - there really weren't any bad pics in this bunch.

DJ
Originally Posted by ChipM
Very nice and some great pixs. Gives me confidence in using my 243 this year. Nice start to the season

Appreciate it, Chip.

I wouldn't be scared of much with 85 TSX's in a 243. Dober was saying they crunched a bear with some.

I can't believe the bullet exited after busting shoulders - I think the off shoulder had less damage and that the bullet had shed some petals before it exited, but exit it did and he bled enough that anyone could have trailed him.

DJ
Posted By: Daveh Re: What an afternoon... - 09/04/08
Thanks DJ. I appreciate the answer. Must be nice to live in that kind of country.

At least I can enjoy reading this stuff.

Dave
Posted By: Texas Hunter Re: What an afternoon... - 09/05/08
Another thing DJTex.
That Axis had some age on him.
You know and i know how much hunting pressure there is on smaller Texas ranches in that area and i am amazed that buck lived that long.
Just out of curiosity is there a high fenced exotic operation fairly close to your ranch??
A guy i knew years ago had a 100 acre place(long since sold) near Pedernales State Park and there was a high fence exotic ranch nearby.
A flood came ans washed out a huge portion of the fence and before they could repair it the inevitable escape in numbers took place.
That deer season he not only killed a small WhiteTail buck but two Sika's,a nice Black Buck antelope and an Auodad sheep.
Owner of the high fence outfit was livid.
Posted By: DJTex Re: What an afternoon... - 09/05/08
You're right - I think he was at least 5 years old, maybe older.

It is really something that he survived as long as he has - our place is around 300 acres low fenced with old fences with lots of holes we are always patching after bulls fight through them.

I'm not sure of the habits of these deer, but from what I have seen, they seem to have large territories. We have seen just one or two occassionally for several years, never with any consistency, and never more than a little young buck.

We saw the group with this buck a month ago, but not since. I really think we caught them passing through again, and that we have the water hole to thank if they are hanging around more. We are in a period of extended drought - no runoff rain in more than a year on our place, and our stock tanks are as low as they have been in 30 years. The rivers are largely dry, and I suspect water is drawing them and perhaps keeping them in the area.

There really isn't a high fence ranch near us - there were a few little places 10-15 years ago within a few miles, but we have seen axis deer free ranging quite often on low fence ranches within a couple of miles of us, and there have been some big ones taken. I think there is a pretty substantial wild population within 5-10 miles of us, and I suspect they travel a large territory. I have seen a disproportionately high number of them hit on the county roads and highways, so I think they cross them often.

I am really happy to have them around - I don't want them to displace our whitetails, just thrive and co-exist with them!

I think the big boys must lay low except for rutting activity for this guy to have survived. He was with a doe when we saw him the first time, and I suspect he followed a doe to water and that she left and he was leaving to follow her when I shot him. The first axis I saw when we were first approaching the tank was a doe or buck with no antlers, but I think most bucks have hard antlers this time of year, although I saw one in velvet with just a few inches of nubs.

Looking at my buck's face and teeth, I think he was at his peak and definitely mature.

DJ
Originally Posted by Daveh
Thanks DJ. I appreciate the answer. Must be nice to live in that kind of country.

At least I can enjoy reading this stuff.

Dave

It really is nice - I killed a big blackbuck with my bow a few years back, as well. Same place...

It's funny - we rarely see the exotics, but they do show up and pass through time to time. I hope they continue to thrive.

DJ
Posted By: clark98ut Re: What an afternoon... - 09/05/08
They seem to really thrive in the Hill Country for whatever reason. My wife's aunt has a place near Brady and we've seen them there from time to time.

The ranch my Dad manages in S. Texas is 10,000 acres and their population has really dwindled over the years since they introduced them to the ranch. They really don't have much hunting pressure there, so my Dad assumes it's coyotes.

On another note, I don't know if you guys realize how big of a deer this is. DJ isn't some pipsqueak. I'm guessing he's every bit of 6' 5". The Axis I shot earlier this year was well over 200lbs if I had to guess. He'd been eating good and had about an inch of fat on his back.

-Dan
You're right, Dan - they do well in the Hill Country - we've got increasing coyote pressure, but less than in most of the state, and the cedar breaks give them places to hide - but there sure are lots of people moving in. I am convinced the coyotes and dogs are killing most of the Blackbuck does and fawns - we had 14 or 15 does we sometimes saw a few years back, and they have dwindled to nothing. There are one or two bucks we see once in a while now, but that's it. The bucks seem to make it if they can get to a year and a half, but I bet I found 8 or 9 does and fawns which were killed by predators. The Axis seem tougher, and they're 3 times the size of the blackbuck, so I'm sure that helps.

I had my boots on when we visited - I might crowd 6'5" with them on, but not in my socks. Still, I'm not a little guy, and this was a bruiser of an Axis!

This buck was the same as yours - hog fat. We've had enough rain to have grass, but no runoff for tank water.

Still can't really believe it, to be honest. Really blessed in every way - that's all I can say.

Take care,

DJ
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: What an afternoon... - 09/06/08
DJ,

Not bad at all, you are truly blessed! Congrats & well done!

MtnHtr
Posted By: Mauser96 Re: What an afternoon... - 09/06/08
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
All I can say is it is way too cool that you were fortunate enough to have your young ones along!

The one cool thing I've learned from taking my Grandson who just turned 9 is they totally enjoy the hunt. The could care less about the record books, bullet BC's, prem bullets and such gack.

Dober

+1
Posted By: pointer Re: What an afternoon... - 09/06/08
Very awesome!! Glad you had the opportunity to do that with the boys in tow. I know it's hard to believe, but I bet that it meant even more to them! Congrats.
Posted By: DJTex Re: What an afternoon... - 09/08/08
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
DJ,

Not bad at all, you are truly blessed! Congrats & well done!

MtnHtr

Thanks, MtnHtr! Blessed is indeed the right description!

DJ
Originally Posted by Mauser96
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

+1

Ain't it the truth!

Hope I'm getting it done half as good as 'Dober when I've got my 9 year old granson in tow!

DJ
Originally Posted by pointer
Very awesome!! Glad you had the opportunity to do that with the boys in tow. I know it's hard to believe, but I bet that it meant even more to them! Congrats.

I sure hope so! I know I remember just about every hunt with my Dad from when I was a little guy like them - I think these memories and experiences for little guys really impact them in a great way!

DJ
Posted By: eastplace Re: What an afternoon... - 09/09/08
Great way to start the season. Glad to see our southern brother hunting right with his crew. Todd
Posted By: DJTex Re: What an afternoon... - 09/09/08
Originally Posted by eastplace
Great way to start the season. Glad to see our southern brother hunting right with his crew. Todd

Thanks, Eastplace.

There are a few perks for those of us enduring 90+ degree weather in September! No elk or mulies, but we've got some pretty interesting critters - native and exotic.

DJ

Posted By: Mississippi Re: What an afternoon... - 09/10/08
congratulatons
© 24hourcampfire