Home
Posted By: jp35 South Carolina wild boar hunting - 12/30/08
Does anyone have any info on a good outfitter in south carolina for hog hunting? The end of deer season is near in VA and I have a group of about 6 that want to hunt some hogs. Any help would be appreciated.
Chestnut in NC.

http://www.chestnuthuntinglodge.com/index.htm
There are wild feral hogs in SC and wild Euro hogs in SC.
All wild hogs in SC are pests, not game animals.
A lot of the big Euro hogs are on federal land in the mountains where no outfitters or guides hunt, or the Congaree National Park, where no one can hunt anymore.

Best chance for a mixed hog (feral and Euro bloodlines) is along the Savannah River basin (what's left of it). Bostick Plantation is one such place. I can ask around about others.

A good DYI is on the Crackerneck Game Management Unit.

Tell me more about the style of hunting you want (dogs, swamp, high stand, drives, spot and stalk in the mountains, etc).
Chestnut Hunting Lodge is a good hunt. I have not hunted there but many of my SCI buddies have with excellent report. I have a SCI chapter hunt scheduled there next spring.
Another comment. I scheduled a SCI chapter hunt with Cherokee Run Lodge this year & the hunt was a total rip off. They have 2,000 acres that is hunted mostly year round. Few hogs & little in the way of size. Bostick Plantation has been over booking deer hunters for years. The boar hunts may be OK but, I wouldn't believe anything they say. The Hunting Report has had them on a "Watch List" for years. This means look out.
Thanks for the input, I had been looking at Bostick Plantation and Island Plantation. I am looking for feral or euro but not in a fence. Has anyone had any experience with Island Plantation?
I hunt hogs in Florida twice a year. Its a longer trip but in my opinion well worth it. Where I hunt is $150/meat hog & no guide fee. We stayed ne[Linked Image]ar-by at the Flamingo Motel for $50/night for 2.[Linked Image] Advise if you want info.
..Try "Dorsey's lodge". I've known Jay Dorsey and his operation for twenty years now. He runs a good camp with top hunting adventure. You can hunt behind the best of dogs and make the final kill with a butcher knife if you've got the courage, all professionaly videoed.Many levels , many options available. Google Dorsey's hunting lodge for more info and contact details...
My stepdad and about 8 off his friends went to Jay Dorsey's back in the late 80's all killed hogs, good houds and catch dogs kill them with a knife if you wanted too! We had it on vhs, but I probably couldn't find it!
Bostick Plantation...you can find info on the web. Also quail hunting if you like that.

Don't know what type of hunt you're looking for. I've hunted with Rick Grubs of Waccamaw hunting services out of Hemingway, SC several times for hogs and deer. I could'nt be happier with the hunts, the accomadations, and Rick himself. He only hunts wild born, fair chase, non stocked animals on no fence properties. I suggest you avoid Bostick. You can check out his web site here www.huntinglodge.net . Good luck.
As a former hunter with Bostick plantation, I can not recommend them. Since my trip with them in 1999 I have found an excellent place that I have been hunting with since then. I have hunted at Deerfield Plantation since Bostick and still hunt there twice a year even now. There food and lodging are hard to beat. Hugh Walters owns 12,000 acres and has good deer and hog populations. October will be my 13th hunt in ten years with Deerfield. I have only come home empty once. That was due to unusualy warm temps in a March hog hunt. In the years I have taken many new hunters with me and each has always wanted to return. For hog I would try either Jan. or Feb hunts. I am booked for an October deer and boar hunt and again in Feb 2010 for a 5 day hog hunt. His guides and the staff are outstanding. Bring a big hunger with you. There food is hard to beat. Hugh can be reached at 1-800-417-HUNT. Any questions I can be reached at [email protected].
LWbassmaster, I'm booked in oct also for deerfield, what week are you going? Im sure we hunted together before.

Just like you said Jan-March is better for hogs there - most of the deer hunting pressure is off and the hogs seem more relaxed. Dont forget hogs are smarter than dogs. During deer season they can become nocturnal, also it is still very warm down south in oct and nov. Have you ever thought about hunting Hogs in Tenn? I hear it's really good there also.
I have met a number of deer hunters that went to Bostick, one time. The Hunting Report has had them on a watch list for years. Perhaps, the hog hunting is better than their deer but if you constantly overbook during deer season why not for hogs?
DO NOT hunt at Bostick! I turkey guided there for a summer and saw first hand how they run their hog operation......spend your money else where!
tbear, where in FL do you hunt?
One of the biggest rip off hunting operations in the US. The Hunting Report has had them on a watch or warning list for years. I am sure they produce some hogs, but with the way they over book & falsely advertise their deer hunts I would never consider them myself or recommend them. Another outfitter that despite ripping off hunters for years some how seems to remain in business. I have met many deer hunters that booked with them(once)& none were ever satisfied. A few years ago a field reporter from The Hunting Report was invited to hunt with Bostick with the expectation of changing their lack of a recommendation. The Hunting Report again stated that they still over book & have a poor success rate. Anyone considering booking with them should do some "Due Diligence".
DO NOT GO to Bostick plantation. If you don't believe me, check out the outfitter reviews on www.huntinfo.com. Bostick has for years been completely overhunted. They rarely kill a decent buck or a hog. It used to be a fine place about 20 years ago, but they have run so many hunters in there it's pathetic. I hate to say it because I am from S.C. but those are the facts. As Lee24 said, if you wanted to try a DIY hunt Crackerneck would be a good place. I would not book anywhere down around Estill, S.C. unless you personally knew someone that had recently hunted the place.
For many years I hunted on Brahma Island, but unfortunately they are out of business. I hunted with Out west Farms on Lake "O" 2 years ago & earlier that year with JR Outfitters. Friends report good hunts with the Brady Ranch & Bear Bridge. My last couple of trips were basic hunts with no meals & lodging, but good hunting using swamp buggies & chase dogs @$125/hog. When the hog is bayed up you una$$ the buggy & have at them on the ground. I did shoot one running at about 125 yards from the buggy that was about to run into a real hell hole of a swamp. I usually shoot 2-3/trip & fill up several freezers.
pm sent
What others have said. Bostick Plantation is a disaster. I would not hunt there. I would recommend Buck Run Hunting Lodge in Estill. I've hunted with Pete Simmons going on ten years now. He runs a professional operation and his wife is a dam good cook. Good hog numbers too.
jp,

I have a cousin that runs hog hunts at his farm, in upper Colleton county, along the Salkatchie swamp. It's all still hunting, with rifle or bow. I have no idea what he has available right now as far as openings, but I'll get in touch with him if you wish. The place is absolutely covered in hogs. So much so, that it's having a impact on the deer herd. They're nearly impossible to get rid of once they get established.
I'm looking for a bow hunt. and that sounds good. How do i make contact with your cousin?
© 24hourcampfire