Home
Has anyone on here ever taken a big bear with a .300 WTBY,or know of any taken?Tell it like it is.
I have not shot big bear with the 300 WBY, but I know a lot of outfitters and they all say with a proper bullet it does as well as anything else.

I have seen Buffalo shot with it and they are tougher than bear and it worked great on the buffalo. Saeed on AR shoots the 30-404 from time to time and it works also.
Elgin Gates and a flock of other Weatherby Award winners have taken the big bears with the .300 Weatherby as well.

jim
i hunted with a buddy when i lived in alaska. his only rifle was a weatherby 300 wby mag (one made in germany). he killed 3-4 brown bears with that rifle. never had a problem that i saw. i remember reading in more than one gun rag that for the man who hunts the entire world, there is no more suitable rifle than a 300 wby mag. i'd certainly hunt any bear with a 300 wby mag. ymmv
I've been on the scene once when the 300 Weatherby was used on a Brown Bear in the 8 foot class by a guy from Minn. The bear died pretty quick.Load was a 180 gr Nosler Partition.I have long felt that 300 magnums and heavy bullets should be lumped with 338's and other mediums.

I'd like somthing with a bigger hole myself(375) but what do I know?.......the poster above is correct and it seemed like for years in Outdoor Life and other magazines, articles appeared monthly by guys using 300 Weatherby's on Brown Bear and other large,exotic animals.
The .300wby works.

One shot kill, put two more in for insurance but really didn't need to.
I couuld have brought my Sako .375, but brought the .300 out of accuracy & familiarity
No Problem w/good 200 gr bullets.
Done Deal.
B&C 10 footer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Salmonella: NICE!The 300 works .
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Salmonella: NICE!The 300 works .

Yep! Thats a Gorgeous bear! Congrats on that one!
Ingwe
THAT is AMAZING!

I NEED one of those.

Nice bear!!! How tall is that guy standing?
I'm quite sure that young man standing next to the bear is at least 4 feet tall(DO THE MATH)!That's a BIG BEAR alright!And I'm conviced that .300 WBY can do the job.Thanks.
Re: How does the .300 Weatherby work on BIG BEARS?
really well
All these were killed with the 300 Weatherby...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/JBabcock/JodesBear.jpg[/img]

The 300 Weatherby is a killing machine. All but the first one were killed with 180 grain Noslers. The 1st Bear is going to be right on the edge as to whether or not it makes the All-Time book. Skull scores 24 3/16 green. The 2nd is in a 7 way tie for #53 All-Time in Boone & Crockett.

Just to throw a wrench into the mix, I prefer the 338 and 210 Noslers. I don't think there's a dimes bit of difference between it and a 300 Weatherby though. This is also a B&C Grizzly...
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/JBabcock/Inawe.jpg[/img]
I'm not jealous of very many folks, but I'm gonna have to put you on the list! laugh
Those are some fine looking Griz..!
Outstanding.
Ingwe
Very Nice BIG bears cool
I'm a blessed man, and very aware of it!
You guys actually think the 300 Wby can compare to my beloved .338??? Well I suppose your right but damn I wish you wouldn't go around saying things like that, it just upsets me! smile smile smile

So just to put you in your place I am going to allow the 30-06 with 200 gr. Noslers is just as good as the 300 Wby and the .338, so there! smile smile
I'm with you Ray! My whole family shoots the 300 Weatherby, but I like the 338. I like the advantage of heavy bullet weight if needed. But, after shooting lot's of game, I've come to the conclusion there's really not that big a difference between the 30-06 loaded with a good bullet and a host of other cartridges. It's all shot placement.

Now, I could talk about the Moose I watched get whacked with a 300 grain Nosler out of a 375 H and a H....

Boom shocka locka!!! Out go the lights!!!
My experience ( though none with Big Bears) is that you are both right....30-06 and 200 grainers=good things!
.375 H&H with 300 grainers gets me just plain giddy!
Ingwe
JBabcock-

Like ingwe, I now have a list as well. I'm green with envy but very happy for you my friend. Great bruins.
Salmonella

Great bear!

Curious, is the hide that much different from the bottom side in color or is it a photo deal? Looks like a totally different bear.

Will probably forget to check for an answer now that I have a question.....

Jeff
Doh!

Forgot to reveal my jealousy toward Salmonella as well. grin
Great bear!
Doh!..Me Too...
And I thought I had my " Bucket List" all crossed off...
Ingwe
All those bears are Awesome!

My taxidermist, Jim August, has a 10' 4" bear mounted like Salmonella's bear in his showroom and the size of it never fails to humble me. You can't understand the size of one of these monsters until you see one up close standing like that...

Personally, I'll take your collective word that the 300 WM will kill one, but after seeing one up close (mounted), I'm still thinking I'd feel undergunned with anything I could carry! wink

JBabcock, you are definitely on my list of people I am jealous of! LOL-- congrat on some truly fine bears.

Bob
Beautiful bears gents. I've never taken a brownie with one but I did take a nice blackie and about 14 head of African game with it. Somebody also alluded to Elgin Gates. He did it ALL with the 300 Weatherby. Arguably the best all around caliber ever--in my humble opinion anyway...jorge
This is a Montana Griz, shot with a 25-35. 1 shot kill, as you can see, and it measures 22 5/16 B&C. I would guess a 300 Weatherby would work.

[Linked Image]

A 30-378 did work for me a few years later in Alaska. 200 grain Accubond at about 3250 FPS, here's the bullet: performed perfectly...

[Linked Image]

Here's the bear...

[Linked Image]
Just so's you all are clear, I didn't kill all of those Grizzlies. My brother Scott shot the 1st one listed just last month. Our good friend Joe Small shot the second. The 3rd is my brother's, the 4th is mine. 5th and 6th are Scott's, 7th is his son Jode. The last one is the bear I killed in September. I've killed 3, but Scott's been there on 46, and uses the 300 Weatherby exclusively.

I'd think after all of the Grizzlies he's killed, if the 300 Weatherby didn't work, he'd try something else.
© 24hourcampfire