Home
Posted By: Big Sky A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/03/09
Well my daughter's first deer hunt just came to an end tonight and neither of us is complaining. In fact, this is about as good as it gets. We are both riding on Cloud 109!!! The ol' 7mm08 does it again.
[Linked Image]

One more from another angle.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/03/09
Tell her I'd like to shoot a whitetail like that when I grow up!!
Excellent!!
Ingwe
Nice looking buck there - Looks like a pretty happy kid too!! Congrats!
Posted By: Huntr Re: A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/03/09
Very, very nice!!
Love it!! Great job!
Outstanding! Good for her and good for you for starting her right! You now have bragging rights--put them to good use.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Excellent!!
Ingwe

No kidding - heck of a buck. Congrats to her, and the guide:)
Very nice! Big congrats Sky, thats one heck of a whitey.
Have fun topping that next year. Awesome.
Posted By: Lonny Re: A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/03/09
Excellent! Congrats to her. I'm thinking her guide was no slouch either smile
Very nice! She has a serious smirk running there and you gotta love that!
Congrats great job! Beautiful buck and daughter
Very Nice cool
What a wonderful picture. Hope my daughter has the same luck this weekend with her 7mm-08. Congrats to both of you.
Wow! She looks pleased as punch with herself, and she should be! Good for both of you!Great buck!
Posted By: GregW Re: A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/03/09
That's a mature bruiser for sure!

Great job!
Nice buck and great picture! Looking forward to the day my daughter is smiling as she poses with her first buck.
Not sure I could beat that smile/smirk but I sure would try.

Happy for both of you. Give her a hug from all of us.
Awesome!
Congratulations to your young lady. It seems this has been a very good year for the young hunters. I am really enjoying the pictures.
Man that is Great!

I'd sure be proud if I took one like that.

Super!

JM
Wow, that is a dandy! She looks about like I'd look having taken such a great deer - Excited!

Way to go!

Shortside
Posted By: JPro Re: A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/03/09
Very nice. I like the pink camo sweater too. Looks like something mine would approve of. A successful first hunt for sure...
Congrats to both!!!!
Love the pink camo too!!!!!

George
hell of a lot bigger than my first deer...or any ive taken in the last few years grin good on her!
Posted By: CLB Re: A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/03/09
that is a bruiser!!! You done well. congratulations on getting her out on the hunt....
sweet!
I talked to this little girl on the phone last night, not long after this deer hit the turf, she was still so excited that she could hardly talk, and I think that Dad was more excited then her. That is what dreams and hunting are all about. You have a hunting partner for life. Tell her congrats again. My little girl is still in Momas belly, but if she is anything like her 2 onry brothers, there will be alot of animals that are not going to like her very much. I cant wait.

Toby Joe
CONGRATS..... That is a super Nice buck.....
WOW>>>> Hope dad can keep up with the new hunter...

Double thumbs up!
For those that would like the story, here is how things played out:

Last Thursday my daughter and I went out on her first deer hunt. Our intent was to let her get her first deer and it didn't matter much to her if it was a buck or a doe. She had tags for both in her pocket. Long story short that first night we had a very inconsiderate hunter come in on the neighboring property and intentionally bugger off all the deer. Finally he left and a few deer started to come out and then a coyote showed up and chased the deer around. However he actually worked to our advantage in the end and chased two does and a small buck over to us. My daughter passed on the little buck (thank goodness) but made a perfect heart shot on the doe. I was very pleased with her first shot ever at a big game animal. I had to leave town and didn't get back until late Saturday. Sunday was filled with church obligations so we couldn't hunt again until yesterday evening after work/school. We got to the stand hoping the inconsiderate hunter would be nowhere in sight this time. He never showed up but about 1 minute into the stand here comes Mr. Coyote again. However he didn't stick around long and he was lucky he didn't or it would have been his last day on the planet. I have a mental note to go back and ruin his day as soon as deer season is over. Anyway for the next hour all we saw were does. We actually had 16 of them in sight for about the entire hour. Eventually a small fork horn came out of the trees and started to walk the fence line on the far edge of the field about 300 yards away. He then left the field and started to move away from us up a hill. Many of the does had done this earlier and I was concerned that perhaps no deer would come close enough for my daughter to shoot. Then as if by magic a group of 7 does to the south of us started working their way north and right in front of us. They were anywhere from 50 to 100 yards out. This is significant as will be explained in a minute. As this was going on a large buck (the one my daughter eventually shot) stepped out of the trees and started to follow the little fork horn. I'm totally going nuts knowing I could easily make the 300 yard shot, but that it was too far for my daughter, but this was her hunt not mine. Then a miracle happened the little buck saw the does in front of us and decided to join them. Soon the big buck turned around and started to follow the small buck 300 yds, 250 yds, 200 yds, 150 yds, 100 yds... until he was only 75 yards away. I was having a complete melt down as I had watched him close the distance through an open field. Yet, my daughter still hadn't shot. I asked her if she was steady on the buck and she said yes. I said then shoot it. She said I can't. I'm like WHAT!!!! WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T?! She says I don't feel good about it, I think I'm going to throw up. I said well I think you should just shoot it and then you'll feel better. You just have a bad case of buck fever. Settle down a shoot that buck. Our conversation went on like this for nearly 10 minutes with my anxiety going way past redline. The buck had eventually worked his way back out to 100 yards and we were losing light. Finally I pleaded with her to just suck it up and shoot. Still she waited, and waited, and waited. I'm dying and I had just looked down from by binoculars to her, to see if she was going to shoot, when the gun went off. I heard a loud WHAP and knew she hit pay dirt with her hyper accurate little Remington Mountain Rifle chambered in 7mm08. The 140 Bearclaw bullet did it's job admirably and I got to breathe again. Oh and she instantly felt better by the way. In fact, she is still bouncing off the walls this morning as she got ready for school. Me I'm thrilled but I think I aged 20 years waiting for her to shoot last night.

Very cool story and well done. Congrats to both of you!

Once again, parental angst puts adolescent "you don't understand" angst in perspective. wink
That is awesome! Love all the photos of the young hunters that seem to be in abundance. You're going to have your work cut out with finding her a bigger one for next season. wink

Congrats!
Great story Troy - It's a whole nother ball game getting kids started for sure. Guess that's what makes the successful endings that much sweeter. That is a beauty of a buck - BIG congrats to your daughter.
Thats hillarious!! Awesome job to you both!!
Yes, Ingwe, me too !!! E
Mr. Big Sky;
Thanks for sharing the photos and story of your daughter�s first buck with us.

Please pass along a hearty well done to her on that fine buck! As noted by others, I�d like one like that myself.

I�d like to send you a tip of the hat for taking the time and energy to teach a young hunter the life style we here love so much. Very well done sir!

Good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Thanks again,
Dwayne
Dwayne, that was a very nice post. Thank you.
Very well done to both you and your daughter! My grandson is 10 and I can't wait till he can dust a critter or two with me as well.

"DWD"

Dober
Mark, I know the feeling. I have actually been more anxious for my daughter to turn 12 than I was with my boys. She has wanted to hunt from nearly day one on the planet. I'm glad things got off to such a fantastic start.
Simply outstanding! Congrats to you both on an awesome deer.
Outstanding!

The girls are really whuppin' up on the bucks this year!

Tell her great job!
Posted By: SKane Re: A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/03/09
That is fantastic!!! Nice buck!
There certainly has been a lot of nice bucks falling to the youngsters.
Posted By: DJTex Re: A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/03/09
Outstanding, Big Sky!!!

What a buck, and what a hunt....and what a happy little girl!!!!

Congrats!

DJ
Reading that story had my blood pressure going up too. But your dot did a fantastic job at up ending that big ol' buck. He is a Dandy!!! The young boys her grade school class are going fall over when they see the size of that deer. Awesome on the set up Dad! And kill that coyote...
She sure looks happy after taking that old buck.
LNF150, that coyote is a top priority once deer season is over. I'm pretty sure I will be able to call him in without too much trouble. He's pretty identifiable as well as he has more orange on him than most coyotes around here. His days are numbered!
Nice!

I'm with Ingwe - I'd like one like that before I grow up.

thanks for all the comments! I was so nervous about that buck, being so young i didn't know how big it really was! luckily he died and i didn't have to eat liver (some friends always were trying to save the liver for me to eat) the land owner was a teacher so he hung up one of the pictures on the smart board in his room (its like a big computer screen that every one looks at) and i got all the boys jealous!
Great buck and deal all around!
Pretty cool for a first deer, she'll never forget that one.
Big Sky,

Very well done!!! Both on your part for having the patience and taking the time with your daughter and her part for knowing that she was too shook up to make a good shot. My oldest will be 8 in Jan and I can't wait to be along side her when she gets her first critter.

Like Dober said, DWD!!!!

Jeff
Wow thats a heck of a buck!!!
Posted By: BMT Re: A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/04/09
Nice Job Dad!

Happy kids are good things.

BMT
two deer in three days ///.pretty hard act to follow dont you think? Sounds like dad had more buck feaver than daughter?
Yea i know anticipation for her success.. thats absolutly phonominal that it went so well....congrats to you both ..
I have twin 10 year old grandsons that are just starting to go out with dad,and a 17 y old gr,son that better at fishing and hunting than i am,,,, grin grin grin
I like her thumbs-up in the first picture! She's jacked!!

Congrats to both of you.
Posted By: 7mm08 Re: A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/04/09
Congrats! Thats a nice buck and a nice story to go along with it. I whole lot rather read stories like this than I would to invest in a lot of the hunting magazines that are on the shelf these days.

Kids and dead critters - very cool!
Great story and pics! Congratulations!! Hopefully my oldest daughter will have similar tale to tell next year.

Tell your youngin' "Congrats" for me!!
DAYUM!

That's a NICE buck!

Cute young lady, too!
Congrats to her. Nice buck.
Posted By: RNF Re: A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/05/09
Going to be hard to top that one, congrats to both of you.
Well done. Congrats.
First off I want to thank every for their compliments and kind words. I let my daughter read this thread and she really enjoyed it. It's been a few days since she killed her buck, but she is still riding a pretty good natural high from it. The kids at school have really ooed and awed over it and I think she has enjoyed that. I'll let her ride the wave of happiness for as long as it will last. I've lived long enough on this planet to know that one needs to enjoy the good times for all they are worth, because life will sooner or later balance everything out. I'm thinking a few years down the road she will really appreciate just what a gift this buck is. For now though, I will just let her smile and do her happy dance.
Posted By: johnw Re: A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/06/09
Originally Posted by ingwe
Excellent!!
Ingwe

+1... what he said!!!
Posted By: 65BR Re: A Little Girl and a Big Buck - 11/06/09
How does one top that? WOW! NICE buck, and a happy girl. My 12 year old son would be envious. You both did real well. Congrats.
That is one lucky kid! CONGRATS, man!
That's a great buck!
Heartfelt congrats to the little lady and the proud papa.

Probably the best thing I ever did for my son is get him behind a 7mm-08.
He has zero flinch, no fear of muzzle blast and supreme confidence in himself.
He is a true buckslayer with that round, a superb choice for a youth hunter.

You will relive those moments for the rest of your lives.
Good on you Big Sky!
Great story and deer. Congratulations to your daughter. Mine will be able to hunt next year and I'd like to get her set-up with a 7-08. Just bought a -06 for myself, so I'm tapped out for awhile.
Maybe someday one of us will shoot a bruiser like that.
Good show and great pics! Every kid should do so well the first time out.
© 24hourcampfire