Home
Posted By: CumminsHunter Favorite.... - 12/23/09
Other than your gun, what's your favorite (or most useful) piece of hunting equipment? The more uncommon the better....

I'm looking for ideas on things I might not have and/or might need...

Thanks in advance...
Posted By: Sid Gray Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
Baby Wipes
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
Not uncommon but I would rather forget my rifle than my Binoculars. I am constantly using them and if I dont have them I feel like I am missing out on seeing a lot of game. Dont leave home with out them. A good folding saw makes a lot of thing easier.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
Also need to add a camera of some sort. You always see something to take a picture of when you dont have a camera with you. 2008 elk hunt in colorado me and my partner walked up on two bull moose bedded down. We were within 30 yards of them for ten minutes and finally we just walked on. Neither of us had a camera it was probaly a once in a lifetime deal. Still wish we had dropped the hunt that night and went back to camp and got a camera.
Posted By: guyandarifle Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
I know a few guys that really like their mono/bi pods. They aren't for everyone but I suppose there's no arguing they can't help your aim if you have the time to deploy them.

Gotta have a good knife but you've probably got that one covered.
Posted By: guyandarifle Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Also need to add a camera of some sort. You always see something to take a picture of when you dont have a camera with you. 2008 elk hunt in colorado me and my partner walked up on two bull moose bedded down. We were within 30 yards of them for ten minutes and finally we just walked on. Neither of us had a camera it was probaly a once in a lifetime deal. Still wish we had dropped the hunt that night and went back to camp and got a camera.

Good call on the camera and I should have mentioned that considering I just bought one myself. The waterproof/shockproof digital camera has been around for awhile but everything I ever read about them said you really compromised your picture quality for the ruggedness. Finally I ran across one, the Panasonic DMC-TS1, that is rated as wp/sp and takes decent pics. I can't comment much as I literally just bought the thing a couple days ago but I can say mine takes some pretty decent pictures and I don't feel I have to baby it.

One caveat; it is not specifically rated as "freezeproof" like some other cameras of the genre. That doesn't mean it can't actually handle cold but Panasonic didn't see to set a spec for subfreezing temps. After I get some real field work with it maybe I'll post more about it.
Posted By: mw406 Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
Camera that fits in a shirt pocket. That way it's always available. How about a small foam pad to sit on while glassing when the grounds cold. It helps me stay warm and to sit still longer. Lens cleaning kit for binos and glasses. Small flashlight that clips to the bill of your cap for hands free use. The most unusual item I carry on a regular basis is a slip cover for my rifle. I made it out of an old pair of lightweight canvas waders and barge cement. It's water proof, light and folds into a pretty small package. If I'm out and it starts raining or snowing wet heavy flakes, I slip it over my rifle. I can pull it off in a flash if I need to.

[Linked Image]
You never know when you'll need a camera handy!
Posted By: HuntKY Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
Other than my bow or rifle and my binocs, I think my range finder and Sleeping Indian Jacket are the other two things I couldn't live without. Oh, and I do like having a "lens pen" with me too.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
I always carry a silk scarf. Get a chill in the morning, wrap it around your neck, snow in the scope, and you have something smooth to wipe it out with.

ddj
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
Binocular, rifle or bow, lens pen, knife, folding bone saw, small tupperware jug (canteen) to refill with snow. After that, all I need is a couple of elk.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
That would be my Leica Geovid 10x42 rangefinder binoc.
Posted By: KC Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09

A USGS map and a compass is something that I'm never without.

A good pair of gloves is another thing that I always want on hand.

KC

Posted By: 7 STW Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
Would be the keys to my quads.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
What's up, Butthead??

grin
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
f/a yourself?
Posted By: 340boy Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
Same.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
hand saw.
Posted By: Ruger270man Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
Flintstone.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
CumminsHunter: Because I Hunt so much on public lands here in the Rocky Mountains the one item I NEVER leave home without is my Leica Laser Rangefinder!
I am often in the need to make long shots at standing animals anymore.
The Leica 900's I use have helped me make some longer than I would normally feel comfortable with (without an exact range!).
I also Hunt Varmints year-round and this wonderful tool helps me immensely therein also.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
I like a cell phone. They don't work yet in VT but they do in most of CT. Its a safety factor for me.

I see a range finder mentioned above. I got one of the Leica's and I never use it. I loaned it to my buddy for VT and he gave it back. Pretty sure its in the knapsack.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Favorite.... - 12/23/09
After my binocular a really good sling. Design preference varies on those.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Favorite.... - 12/24/09
A Leatherman tool. I live with one on my belt. It's solved many an issue.
Posted By: actionshooter Re: Favorite.... - 12/24/09
Most important gear, Meindl boots, and MR pack
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Favorite.... - 12/24/09
Haversack. Everything I need in there. Flashlight, knife, multi-tool, space blanket, match safe, binoculars, gloves and stocking cap, snacks. Way more better I like than a back pack. Carried low on the hip balances the rifle on the right.

BCR
Posted By: mudhen Re: Favorite.... - 12/24/09
LIke 1 Minute, I have a Leatherman that lives on my belt. A Nikon rangefinder rides in one shirt pocket and Nikon digital camera in the other.
Posted By: prairie dog shooter Re: Favorite.... - 12/24/09
Next to the rifle, I would have to say my favorite item of hunting gear is my custom skinning knife.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Favorite.... - 12/24/09
Bandage
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Favorite.... - 12/24/09
Binoculars and a small digital camera like others have mentioned.
Posted By: macrabbit Re: Favorite.... - 12/25/09
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
I always carry a silk scarf. Get a chill in the morning, wrap it around your neck, snow in the scope, and you have something smooth to wipe it out with.

Or cotton. I call it a Handy-Bandandy: neckerchief, bandage, towel, pot holder, 'rope', TP (one-time use), nose rag, hat tie-down, bag, water strainer, ear warmer, ...
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Favorite.... - 12/27/09
Compass.
Posted By: akjeff Re: Favorite.... - 12/27/09
Something to start a fire with, and a knife.

Jeff
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Favorite.... - 12/27/09
Camo fanny pack- In it I keep a spare knife, hunters orange, head light, camo gloves (heavy and light), como face mask (heavy and light), compass, lighter, xtra bullets, straps, and a few bandaids. Sling it around you waist, buckle it, and your ready to go.

Oh yeah! Throw in a candy bar or two, if I'm going to be gone all day!
Posted By: CLB Re: Favorite.... - 12/27/09
Originally Posted by CumminsHunter
Other than your gun, what's your favorite (or most useful) piece of hunting equipment? The more uncommon the better....

I'm looking for ideas on things I might not have and/or might need...

Thanks in advance...

Besides my compass I'd say a GPS Unit....

CLB
Posted By: Portsider284 Re: Favorite.... - 12/27/09
Cattle obstetrical gloves.
You know the ones that will go right up to your arm pits.

Nothing worse than going for breakfast after a first light kill, and having to wash up in the resturant washroom, with blood running into the sink with other patrons coming and going and gawking like your an axe murderer or something.
Posted By: RNF Re: Favorite.... - 12/27/09
Hard to choose just one. Things that come to mind are binoculars , knife, compass-gps, map, & camera.
Posted By: Hawken Re: Favorite.... - 12/27/09
Bullets!
Posted By: I_will_be_Frank Re: Favorite.... - 12/31/09
Dirty socks, if I'm trying to make a drive with just a couple of standers. I've seen deer turned where I wanted them by throwing a few dirty socks in a some strategic places.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Favorite.... - 12/31/09
Marbles "Sport" drop-point skinning knife - bought it in 2003 and it has become my hands-down favorite.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Favorite.... - 12/31/09
Originally Posted by I_will_be_Frank
Dirty socks, if I'm trying to make a drive with just a couple of standers. I've seen deer turned where I wanted them by throwing a few dirty socks in a some strategic places.

I could probably kill them with a couple pairs of dirty underwear.......

Seriously, only reason you'll ever see my socks laying around the woods is if I run out of TP. Please leave them where you found them. <G>
© 24hourcampfire