Home
Posted By: Sakoluvr Nice Boar Hog taken by my son - 01/02/10
Here is a nice size hog my son shot the other day with his 7-08 and 120 gr NBT. Seems like it's hard to get the boy excited since he took one with his bow back in September. Kids today.........<grin>

[Linked Image]
Veddy nice
Nice boar with a great mane. If you don't mount at least do a European on the skull. Your son will always value this hunt with you especially as he gets older.
Thanks Steelhead and tbear.

Well, he has taken a few already so no big deal mounting this one. We are waiting for a real bigun to mount (275 lbs +), and will let Randy here on the fire take care of the skull. We (he) won't head shoot the boar we want to put on the wall. We have seen some really nice ones with big tusks on the trail camera, and hopefully we will eventually get one.

Here is a picture of a sow that he got with his bow in September:

[Linked Image]
Very nice boar. Congratulations to your son.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Nice Boar Hog taken by my son - 01/02/10
NICE Job! Great Boar! Way to pass it on....
Heck of a hog!!! Congrats you fella!
Nice hog!

Congrats to you and your son!!

Beyond the obvious fact that the bullet killed him deader than yesterday's lunch, how did that 120 NBT perform? Shot placement?
Penetration?

Have a bunch to load for my 7-08...

Thanks,

DJ

Beautiful boar and proud young man, thanks for sharing.
SL - that second pig is a real....... ah... pig wink

Its good to see kids having such good success at a young age. I think success, and the accompanying confidence, spells the difference when hunting is actually more hunting than getting when things don't go so well. I'm amazed how often simply puting in the time is the difference between tenderloin and tag soup.
Congrats to your son..........Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Mark
Originally Posted by DJTex
Nice hog!

Congrats to you and your son!!

Beyond the obvious fact that the bullet killed him deader than yesterday's lunch, how did that 120 NBT perform? Shot placement?
Penetration?

Have a bunch to load for my 7-08...

Thanks,

DJ

THANKS!

We always shoot for a spot under the ear unless we want the skull. Then we go for a spot a little back from that in the neck.

I am loading 45 grains of Varget under the 120 NBT. He has taken numerous deer with that load also. We have never recovered a bullet from anything he has shot. All complete pass throughs with devastating DRT results.

I bought a bunch of seconds from Nosler, so you may check with their shop online from time to time.

Dogzapper has really talked up the 120 NBT, so you may want to search for his threads. He has killed some really big game with that bullet, and convinced me to try it. We were using the 120 TSX with great results too, but those NBT seem to hit like a lightning bolt for him, with GREAT accuracy. That little Browning micro medallion A-bolt groups an inch and under all day every day. Rifle is out of the box stock.

Because we hunt in a swamp with water in every direction, we don't like to track wounded game, so a quick kill is mandatory.
Sakoluvr,

congrats to you and your son.

It is obvious, that you guys know what you are doing.

Regarding our shotplacement suggestion above - a note of caution:

[Linked Image]

The spine lies quite deep in the neck, as can be seen. A minor error in placement, missing either skull or spine, will just get neck muzzle.

Here in Germany (native pigs) this amounts to the most interesting follow ups, as these boars are severely injured, yet not through vitals or bone structure.

In warm climate, the infections and / or maggots can amount to a slow and painfull death of the animal.

In principle, that is our responsibility to avoid at all costs as hunters - indeginous or feral animals.

Good hunting. I offer this note in kind spirit - from hunter to hunters.

Posted By: RNF Re: Nice Boar Hog taken by my son - 01/03/10
Nice hog, congrats to your son. Nice smile.
Nice post cmg! Pig anatomy is a bit different than deery creatures. Thanks for posting.
How old is the boy? Give my congratulations and well done to him please.
Thanks for all the well wishes.

cmg- GREAT diagram. I will use it in earnest. I appreciate the advice too!

kevinh1157- he is 12. He got his first deer when he was 9, and his first hog and buck at 10. This kid really likes to hunt. Thanks, I will pass him your congratulations.

He is so well outfitted, it is almost silly. Check out the Leica's around his neck. I recently gave him those fingerless gloves, and now goes on and on about how much he likes them. Says that Boar was his first kill wearing fingerless gloves. Hunting with kids is so freaking much fun!!
Posted By: Hugh Re: Nice Boar Hog taken by my son - 01/03/10
that is great what a neat thing,
Great job !!!!! A hunter in the making !

Dino
Thanks, SL.

I've seen Steve's recommendations - like you, that's what got me interested in using them.

Great to see your experience mirrors his. I reckon they're still making those bullets pretty stout.

I've got a couple of combos I want to try in my 7-08's - that 120 NBT may be a death ray for most of what I shoot in Texas, although I have more confidence in the TSX for busting shoulders on big bucks and hogs. I have a feeling my confidence in the 120 NBT may skyrocket once I put it through its paces on some critters, though.

DJ
DJ, I don't think that there is a buck out there that won't drop like a dish rag with a 120 NBT square in the shoulder. Hogs make a great bullet experiment medium. I think you will be pleased. Good luck to you, and happy new year.
I've got a feeling you're exactly right. I think Steve has even knocked over a few elk and some other big deer with them.

I like your shot placement - I've ear-holed a few and that generally leaves them in a pretty serious bind - seems like head shots and neck shots are easier on hogs for some reason - pretty fair targets that just seem to attract the cross hairs...grin.

Nice going on all you're doing with your son. He seems a natural with lots of God given ability and a real interest and enjoyment in hunting.

Wish there were more boys doing lots of that with their Dads!

Congrats and my best wishes for a happy and profitable New Year - especially in the things that really matter!

DJ

PS - love your signature comment on TV target practice!
Sako and others,

thanks for your kind remarks regarding my post above.
Today I had occasion to butcher a 220 lbs boar. The image below shows his neck muscle section. When handling it I thought of this thread, so took the picture with the pencils indicating the spine and an .30-06 cartridge for scale.

[Linked Image]

Good hunting to all and a cheery cabin feaver season.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Nice Boar Hog taken by my son - 01/06/10
SakoLuvr, had a Micro Med. in 7/08, dang thing shot 3 shots as tight as my heavy barrel 700v when both used loads you run from the magazine using 139s. Seems they use a 1-10t so they may prefer lighter bullets all the more.
I have been so impressed with that little rifle!

Most important, my son absolutely loves it, and has complete confidence with it. His is a micro-medallion too, and they are now pretty hard to find.

It shot great when I was loading the 120 TSX for it too. If it ain't shooting an inch or less, it is the shooters fault.

Completely stock rifle, never turned a screw on it. We have a Leupold 2.5-8x on it, and could not be happier.
© 24hourcampfire