Home
Had to finally replace my old tin hat this year.

Damn near died when I went to Filson to order another one and it was 47.00 bucks including shipping. If it lasts as long as the other one did it will be worth it.

What do you wear in the woods?

[Linked Image]
camo boonie or a orange ball cap. I like the full brim hats best.
I wear my lucky realtree cap. If the wind is blowing Ill wear a beanie.
My favorite is a wool "Deer Stalker" (like Sherlock Holmes wore) that I picked up in the Chelsa district of London. Got to admit that I look a little funny when I'm hunting in an state that requires fluorscent orange on your hat and I have to pin orange surveyors tape to it. smile

[Linked Image]
an orange Pheasants Forever hat is my staple until it gets too cold. Then a stormy kromer.

Allen97, that thing is downright hideous! eek
Originally Posted by Berettaman
an orange Pheasants Forever hat is my staple until it gets too cold. Then a stormy kromer.

Allen97, that thing is downright hideous! eek

The one pictured cost $298.00 The one I have I picked up on sale but it still came to about $75 US.

But it does have the advantage of a deer never knowing which way you are looking. wink
Warmer temps--Standard ol' orange ballcap.

Cold temps--Stormy Kromer.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Damn near died when I went to Filson to order another one and it was 47.00 bucks including shipping. If it lasts as long as the other one did it will be worth it.

[Linked Image]

An Blaze Orange one, it's the law here !

Paul.
A green Lite Felt hat and a Hunter�s Orange Lite Felt hat both came from Cabela�s years ago. The green one has been around so long it has faded from dark green to light green, 15 to 20 years.
This old cap has lots of mojo and has been on my head for most of my deer.
[Linked Image]
For big game here in New Mexico, a camo ball cap or an undyed Resistol with a four-inch brim, depending on the weather. For big game in Colorado, a hunter orange Remington ball cap or a Cabelas with ear flaps. For upland game, a Pointing Dog Journal hunter orange cap.

I somehow attract caps and hats and have no telling how many stashed around the house, stored in boxes or adorning the varipis hat racks that we have scattered about.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Warm weather...

Soft ball cap, camo orange if required, otherwise regular camo. Sometimes a boonie, especially if raining.

Cold weather...

Knit wool stocking cap, same orange or camo, depending on what I'm hunting.

Never saw much need to perch a couple hundred bucks on top of my head.
Originally Posted by Allen917
My favorite is a wool "Deer Stalker" (like Sherlock Holmes wore) that I picked up in the Chelsa district of London. Got to admit that I look a little funny when I'm hunting in an state that requires fluorscent orange on your hat and I have to pin orange surveyors tape to it. smile

[Linked Image]

I have one some where but in more muted greens..For use on the open hill it is very practical with the peak at the back meant to stop the rain running down your the back of your neck..Being weed you have the advantage of wool, plus if the appropriate patter/colour is chosen, its pretty much a form of cammo..
I bought this hat a couple months ago and wear it for work/walking around the hills. Skin cancer runs in the family so a guy needs to be careful.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...Related_IPL_950410&id=0077171904857a

[Linked Image]

This might also work great for hunting, it's one of those dorky looking fishing hats. Of course you may want to turn it around...
[Linked Image]
You just didn't what to know what sort of swill you were about to drink, Right?
Waxed Jones cap. If it looks to be wet, I wear the newer one that is still quite stiff, and if wet doesn't look to be a factor, I wear the older one that has gone floppy. (Matches the rest of me better anyway.) For fishing, I usually wear a boonie. It keeps the sun off my ears, and when it is really hot, it holds just the right amount of lake water to dump over my head. The correct amount is such that you can feel it soaking the whole back of your shirt and just the least bit trickles down to your crack.
I tell you what, nothing is better than a cooler full of ice cold Bud Light on a hot day out on the water.
Notice I didn't say cooler full of beer....Beer is good for cooler weather, when it's hot Blue and Silver cans rule!
When the weather is warm, I wear either some sort of baseball cap or a Florida Fisherman's style cap if I need sun protection on the back of my neck and for my ears.
For cold weather, I've got a Patagonia fleece cap with a short bill to shade my eyes.
For really cold weather, a thin fleece cap and a Cabela's Baclava. E
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The same one I wear every day after buying 10,000 Saw's,it seems..But they are free!!!

[Linked Image]

Jayco
Orange ball cap when it's warm. Orange stocking hat when it gets a little chilly. The fur lined bomber in the pic when it's cold. [img:center]http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/...ew&current=IMG_0224.jpg&newest=1[/img]
Browning Duck Commander during cold weather.

Magellan Safari wide brim during hot weather.
Orange watch cap when its cold, Orange ball cap when its not. Whichever one I don't wear goes in my pack in case of weather changes
Originally Posted by MILES58
Orange ball cap when it's warm. Orange stocking hat when it gets a little chilly. The fur lined bomber in the pic when it's cold. [img:center]http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/...ew&current=IMG_0224.jpg&newest=1[/img]

Miles, that is very fetching !!

Here's the imbedded image from your link.

[Linked Image]

Paul.

p.s.: I like your humour - great deer !
John,my bald head could care less as long as it's warm and has interior suction cups...it gets dam cold and windy out here on the plains !!!!!
Depends whether I am gun or bowhunting, but it is hard to beat a felt fedora. They keep the rain off, are quite warm, and do not mess with my anchor point when shooting a longbow.

[Linked Image]
Orange Ball cap in rifle season, camo ball cap for bow season.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

p.s.: I like your humour - great deer !

Yeah, well, the neighbor didn't. He wanted his deer back.
No alcohol involved, I'm sure !!

Paul.
I'm the funny hat guy for the first couple of days packing into late season camp. The weather turns to shiola, and then I'm the I'll give you 300$ for that hat guy.
[Linked Image]
SleepInd

[Linked Image]

I wear one just like yours, except camo. for the archery season. And an orange beanie/baseball cap combo in firearms seasons.

I think the stiff brims on a hat like the Filson actually help your hearing, just like cupping your hand behind your ear does.

Try this--next time you're near a source of noise, like a gurgling stream, face away from the stream and listen to the sound. Now, rotate your head slowly so you're facing the stream, and listen for the sound to change. I bet you'll find it's louder when you're facing the creek than when you're facing away, or when you take the hat off. Try it and see.

Either a boonie or outback style are my two choices for hunting. If I am in a rush and can't find either, I settle for a ball cap.
Fleece earflap ball cap with GoreTex and Thinsulate from Cabelas.

It's always cold here during season.

Over that, when it's really cold or I'm sitting, I pull on a cheap double-layer orange knit hat.
Ball cap when its warm and a beanie when it gets cold.....when it gets extremely cold the balaclava with a beanie.
dual purpose fishing and hunting [Linked Image]
John Moses;
Thanks for starting the informative thread JM, it makes for interesting reading.

Most days I wear this old Bailey, which believe it or not started life brown, but one too many rain storms and too much Okanagan sun has turned it a bit on the green side.

[Linked Image]

I used to be able to wear it into the late season when it's pretty cold, but lately I've been switching to a gray Stormy Kromer when the weather gets to where the snow is comfortable staying on the ground.

Have a good weekend JM.

Regards,
Dwayne
Camo ball cap.....
Yep...always some kind of a ball cap..

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
A 3in brim floppy camo that I got from Academy years ago. Sort of like a juinor grade boonie hat. Does have fold down ear flaps if it gets chilly. Just enough brim to keep the sun off the top of my ears and the rain from running down my neck. Give it a treatment with camp dry once a year and it is good to go.

BCR
A ballcap and when it gets colder an orange beanie over the top of the ballcap. The cap creates air spaces under the beanie and makes it warmer yet.
I've got a wide brim orange hat, think orange cowboy hat, that I wear if it's above 10 degrees or if it is sunny. I wear a knit orange cap if it's below 10 and cloudy.
For deer hunting in November, I wear an old jones style fl. orange cap. The rest of the time, usually ball caps.

maddog
out in the sun hat [Linked Image]
Any relation? wink

[Linked Image]
Ancient Filson Tin hat or green toque in the cooler weather, camo ball cap or my beat up old cowboy hat in the warm weather.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

It is permitted to wear something besides the hat, you know. smile
Generally I wear just a baseball style hat with a Gorewinstopper beanie in the pack for when it gets cold.
my new hunting hat

picked one of these up last blackpowder season.
It's always some sort of baseball cap design, won't blow off and I can throw up a hood. I've tried other types but keep coming back to a ball cap. Can be anything from a mesh design to insulated with a sewn on knit face mask usually pulled down only enough to cover my ears. I've been known to wear four different caps in one day as conditions and game opportunities change.

I'm not very stylish though - my camo doesn't even match! shocked

Thinking about an orange Halloween wig for early pheasants just to irritate my hunting partners! wink

Ohhhhh Doooooood!!!! shocked

And I just clicked on this right before I was gonna go eat breakfast!!! cry

Ingwe
Originally Posted by fluffy
my new hunting hat

picked one of these up last blackpowder season.

How do you like that one for cold weather? I was looking at those the other day.
A good hard hat liner works great with a baseball hat when it is cold out.When it gets warm the ear sides can go up or just take it off and put it in your pocket.

Jayco
Chilly/cold weather, I typically wear an Under Armour beanie, or a reversible camo/orange knit wool hat. I need to get a blaze orange UA beanie.

For warmer weather, I typically just wear a camo bandana, as I'm most likely bowhunting or spring gobbler hunting.

Generally speaking, I can't stand wear a regular baseball hat for shooting a bow or rifle.
Been wearing the same type (I'm on my third version....they DO eventually wear out) hat for nearly 40 years now. It starts as a good 5X or 7X Stetson in grey (I use a "dress" Stetson after it gets a little worn or stained.....you DO have "dress" Stetsons at the house don't you).

Then add oil-based paint in tan, brown, black, light green, olive drab, and a touch of yellow to create a woodland camo pattern. Oil-based paint is important as that and a good soaking in linseed oil makes the hat mostly waterproof.

Wide brim keeps rain off your neck and sun off your face and the wool hat is very warm in winter (Texas winters anyway). Apply more linseed oil as needed over the years (hell, even a good soaking with WD-40 works pretty good).

In summer (and in Texas "summer" is near 9 months long) while fishing or out in the woods it is normally a white (a least it starts off as white) straw western hat. Wool is just too much when the weather gets warmish.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe
And I bet it "turned you on"
here's my favorite !
[Linked Image]
In TN

warm weather...ball cap in blaze
cold weather...walk in in the ball cap, switch to fleece balaclava at my stand

In the Rockies

Ball cap in blaze because I'm usually on the move and I'll sweat no matter how cold it is if I wear anything more. Of course, I usually hunt the west in October when it's not too cold.

Wish I got to hunt out west more often, haven't been since 07. Maybe next year.

[Linked Image]
A plain old canvas Carhartt for fine weather.

[Linked Image]

Something a bit more "enclosed" for colder stuff.
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe
And I bet it "turned you on"

You'll smoke a turd in hell for that....

Ingwe
Oiled tincloth ball cap:

[Linked Image]
Pendleton

[Linked Image]
Legitimate question for you guys that wear actual hats - does the brim ever cause you problems by bumping into your stock when you aim?
I wear either a black or a camo baseball cap.

[Linked Image]

Never had much of a problem with the brim hitting the stock...or scope. However, it does play hell with a drawn bow string!!
i think y'all are just jealous of my hat
i think y'all are just jealous of my hat

Don't let them bother you; hell I bet none of us were ever in any danger of winning a beauty contest so you are in good company here!
Actually more different ones than I thought:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Legitimate question for you guys that wear actual hats - does the brim ever cause you problems by bumping into your stock when you aim?

Never had it do that in the field, although it seems that at a shooting bench, the brim on a ball cap can get in the way.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

The brim doesn't bother with the stock but if you're using BC flip up scope covers the brim will hit the ocular cover if it's flipped straight up..
Fairly annoying on rifles with a little kick to 'em(your hat is gonna get knocked off and it doesn't help with concentration on the next shot) so if the bolt throw will allow I have the covers set so they open to the side.
The brim on some hats hits my pack frame and I carry it most of the time so I don't wear a brimmed hat very often.

Dober
Cap or hat they can interfere with my line of sight if they are too far forward. I have more of a problem with my winter cap at the range than my hunting hats.
That's the reason I've worn one of these for the last 26 years. It has a short brim that I bend slightly upward. Not the prettiest hat, but it never interfered with my bow string, rifle scope or blocked ducks from my view.

[Linked Image]

Gore Tex Camo Boonie. I carry a spare ball cap too.
An orange Stormy Kromer hat for the cold weather or a standard orange baseball cap for warmer temps.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

This might also work great for hunting, it's one of those dorky looking fishing hats. Of course you may want to turn it around...
[Linked Image]

The dorkjy fishing cap with extra wide and extra long brim is what I wear hunting in rain forest, in a darker green. Mine is Goretex, not that it matters much. It keeps rain off of my glasses much better than most caps, yet allows me to put up a hood. The back sun flap will drain rain outside my collar but I usually tuck the flap up inside the cap.

I try to remember to change to a ball cap before I meet people or head into a hamburger joint on the way home. smile

Originally Posted by splattermatic
here's my favorite !
[Linked Image]

I am sure the pronghorn was proud to be taken down by your dred locked Rasta look!

nice zipper on the shoulder! Did the surgeon use a D-8 and just bulldoze in there! Man! Surgery has come a long way! I have 5 one inch incisions for the mess they fixed on me!
There is only one kind.
the original Stormy Kromer
ball cap if it's warm and the one in my pic if it's cold.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by fatjack34

nice zipper on the shoulder! Did the surgeon use a D-8 and just bulldoze in there! Man! Surgery has come a long way! I have 5 one inch incisions for the mess they fixed on me!

You eyeballing me BOY?
Originally Posted by petr
Originally Posted by fatjack34

You eyeballing me BOY?

Badges? Badges???? We don't need no stinkin' Badges!
got three screws in that shoulder when i was 30. that's what happens when you wake up on a Sunday morning and forgot to buy beer the night before. still took me about 3 yrs before i quit after that seizure

[Linked Image]

All you need is a set of horns screwed to the sides and you're set to go. grin
Nice thing about those Filson hats is the range of sizes. I may have to buy one myself.

That old line that "one size fits all" isn't true, esp when ones head is dimensionally excessive. grin

Originally Posted by SuperCub
Nice thing about those Filson hats is the range of sizes. I may have to buy one myself.

That old line that "one size fits all" isn't true, esp when ones head is dimensionally excessive. grin

I can see that from your picture.

[Linked Image]

Oddly flat on top as well... smile

John
grin

[Linked Image]
or this:

[Linked Image]

or this:

[Linked Image]

or this:

[Linked Image]
wink Shameless advertising !! grin

Paul.
Depends what I'm hunting...
[Linked Image]
Nice!!

lol!
Hi John,

I use this one too. And I am on my second one now. The first one, well worn, is with my eldest son now who preffer this one much used and broken...For my uses this is the perfect hat: totally waterproof and with a fabric heavy enough to protect your head of the branches in the woods, mainly when on horseback.
And, also, the perfect fly fishing hat for wearing in a strong spring Patagonian wind!

Regards

PH
Here's the hat my buddy got for his wife:

[Linked Image]

"Now just go walk around the woods on opening day of the general season dear . . . "
© 24hourcampfire