Home
Posted By: BRISTECD 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/19/10
I keep hearing that Winchester only produces 7x57 brass on a "seasonal run". Does anyone here have a clue as to when that might be? Is that yearly, every-other year, once a decade..... Everyone gripes about Remington brass quality, Norma is too soft and too costly, PPU can have issues, no Lapua available, no RWS that I can find, Federal brass is too soft, reforming is a hassle. Maybe I should just sell my 7x57 shocked .
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/19/10
Winchester/Olin lists it as their product # WSC7MMAU.

You might try calling Olin in East Alton, IL, and asking them directly. I don't know if this will get you directly to customer service, but 618-258-2000 should get your foot in the door.

Jeff
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/19/10
Can you get W-W 8x57 easier?

1 pass thru a neck of FL sizer and you're GTG.
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/19/10
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

You might try calling Olin in East Alton, IL, and asking them directly.

Jeff

I sent them an email a couple of weeks ago - no response.
Posted By: super T Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/19/10
So, what's wrong with Remington brass? I can't see much difference between Remington and Winchester.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/19/10
If you have a Walmart near you check with them. They ordered 7x57 winchester brass in for me. Just took a couple of days and it was very competitively priced.
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/19/10
Originally Posted by OldRooster
If you have a Walmart near you check with them. They ordered 7x57 winchester brass in for me. Just took a couple of days and it was very competitively priced.

When did they do this? Recently?

As far as Remington brass, I keep hearing the quality is just poor. BTW, I have a Border Patrol friend that won't use or buy Remington ammo because it is of such poor quality and he has unused boxes of issue ammo in which the cases are already split! Cool...., pre-split cases!!! I don't use Remington anything personally.

Thanks,
Posted By: super T Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/19/10
Bristecd, I understand your concern, brass isn't cheap and it's a bummer to get stuck with a bad lot of brass. It's just I reload for a variety of rounds, including the 7x57mm, and I've not seen that Remington is any better or worse that Winchester. I wouldn't be afraid of it if you can't find your first choice. Good luck.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/19/10
I have had fine luck with Remington 7x57 brass.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/20/10
Last year. Let me know if you're having a problem rounding up the brass you need. I'll go to Wallyworld and see if it's still available. Things may be different from store to store. It comes in lots of 50. Let me know what you need and I'll order it in. If they have Rem brass instead of Win, is that ok with you? I have not had problems with Rem brass in 6.5x55 or 30-06.
7x57 brass should not be an ongoing problem. It's pretty common and very popular.
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/20/10
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Last year. Let me know if you're having a problem rounding up the brass you need. I'll go to Wallyworld and see if it's still available. Things may be different from store to store. It comes in lots of 50. Let me know what you need and I'll order it in. If they have Rem brass instead of Win, is that ok with you? I have not had problems with Rem brass in 6.5x55 or 30-06.
7x57 brass should not be an ongoing problem. It's pretty common and very popular.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
OldRooster, would you mind asking your local Walmart store if they have or can get Winchester 7x57 brass. I just came from 2 Walmarts here and all I got was a blank stare at both stores and something mumbled in Spanish.
Glad to do it. They've been real easy about getting brass, bullets, powder, etc. I'll get with you as soon as I know.
BRISTEDCD - Here's what I found out about the Win 7x57 brass... The Wallyworld supplier is changing things around and we will not be able to order reloading supplies as we have in the past. PITA. Rem is out there but with funky reviews. Prvi Partizan is very good, uniform European brass that is available at reasonable prices. Excellent reviews from users. Here's a link for some:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=184534430

I have one more place to try that I've used locally. If I have any luck I'll let you know.

Dave
Posted By: Seafire Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/21/10
you can neck up 257 Roberts or 6mm Rem brass also to use in the 7 x 57.... or trim down some other brass you may like...

I have necked down and formed 7 x 57 out of Win 280 Rem Nickel brass...
Posted By: no_one Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/21/10
Should you decide to utilise cases such as .270 win etc, you will find it a boon to rough trim with an angle grinder fitted with a 1mm stainless cutting wheel.......it takes about ten minutes to rough trim 300 cases.

This saves sitting for hours with a trimmer.....just final trim when you have annealed and done the necks on your Marquart.

I managed to pick up three hundred new RWS cases for a dollar each....and around seven hundred once fired Winchester .270 cases for free, so I am right for a while.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/21/10
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

x2 ....... I've never had any serious problems with any Remington brass I've used.

Posted By: BRISTECD Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/21/10
Well, I guess it looks like Remington may get the nod after all. Forming cases doesn't sound like much fun and reloading isn't supposed to be a chore! BTW, do they even still make the Marquart neck turner?
Mine is from the 70's....I just use K&M spuds on it.

I am one of those Gentlemen for whom the Remington brass has fallen short of expectations.....I purchased a bulk lot of five hundred .223 some years ago, and had considerable problems with same....some short...some with solid head under size, and some that mixed these attributes....the later were extremely exciting at the time.

Whilst Remington may possibly have remedied this......I shall not trust my eyes to the experience again, as once was enough.
Posted By: efw Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/21/10
I've never had any trouble with Remington brass, either... at least no more than Fedchester... I have some 257 Bob cases that are extremely soft and their primer pockets have opened up, but running the same load the same number of times through RP brass from a different lot has produced no problems. On the other hand, I have '06 cases that I've run at relatively warm pressures for >15x and not had any problems at all.

I have a hundred RP 7x57 cases and haven't had any problems with them whatsoever... because the rifle they go with has been in the process of being customized since '08 smile . Now THAT is QUALITY wink !

In manufacturing this is bound to occur in some quantity.

I really wish that Lapua would produce 7x57 brass, personally.
So far as I am aware, Lapua does produce 7x57......and if it is as good as their BR brass, it will be the best that you can buy.
At least, that is my experience with Lapua.
Posted By: efw Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/21/10
I can't ever find it anywhere so I assumed they didn't make any?
I believe a Gentleman over here by the name of Nick Harvey uses it......nice bloke to talk to, sounds like a Pom though.
Posted By: archer Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/21/10
I just checked and Midway has Remington, Winchester and Norma in stock.
Yes, they do run it at least occasionally. I bought 100 not too long ago, will see if I can figure out where...

(edit) Looks like it was Powder Valley, they show to be out now but as noted above it is available from Midway right now:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=1390341680
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/21/10
Originally Posted by archer
I just checked and Midway has Remington, Winchester and Norma in stock.

No, those are just pics of the products. If you scroll over the desired amount it says "unavailable-seasonal run".

Lapua did, in fact, make 7x57 at one time, but I don't think they do currently. I have an old brochure from them and it shows 7x57 brass on the cover.
Posted By: handwerk Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/21/10
I too have had no problems with the remy brass, I just got 100 more 7x57 from grafs, but this time I'm trying the prvi, @ $40 per 100 the price was right.
Posted By: Konaseven Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/21/10
It appears Huntington and MidwayUSA has 7x57 Norma brass in stock at this time. (August 2010)

#27001A
i ended up getting RWS brass from Cabela's...
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/22/10
Originally Posted by SuperCub

x2 ....... I've never had any serious problems with any Remington brass I've used.

Of the last 30 rounds I fired in my .221 Fireball rifle, 15 split the case necks, all the way to the shoulder. None of them had more than three loads on the cases, and mild loads they were, too.
I'm seriously considered a rechamber to .222, at this point.
Remington is the only maker of .221 brass. It's schit, no fine way to put it.
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/22/10
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Of the last 30 rounds I fired in my .221 Fireball rifle, 15 split the case necks, all the way to the shoulder. None of them had more than three loads on the cases, and mild loads they were, too.
I'm seriously considered a rechamber to .222, at this point.
Remington is the only maker of .221 brass. It's schit, no fine way to put it.

Well, that sure doesn't make me feel very good as I have about 500-600 R-P .221 Fireball cases tucked away unopened. I haven't had any problems with my "using brass" though and most has more than 3 loadings on it already. Maybe I'll try Prvi instead.
Posted By: hclark Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/22/10
Graf & sons has Privi 7x57 brass @ $41/100. It is excellent brass, fully equal to WW, Norma, etc.
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/search/keywords/7x57+brass
Posted By: no_one Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/22/10
Originally Posted by BRISTECD

Well, that sure doesn't make me feel very good as I have about 500-600 R-P .221 Fireball cases tucked away unopened. I haven't had any problems with my "using brass" though and most has more than 3 loadings on it already. Maybe I'll try Prvi instead.

Simply anneal the neck and shoulder before use....problem solved.

It is dimension problems and soft solid head that concerns me with brass.

As an aside, I have a hundred S & B brass here that is as hard as the hobbs of hell.......dimensionally terrific and shall last a lifetime.....as long as I anneal.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Can you get W-W 8x57 easier?

1 pass thru a neck of FL sizer and you're GTG.

NOT SO!!!! The 8mm shoulder is about 100/1000 further forward than a 7mm. Lots more differences than neck size.

Wayne
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: 7X57 Winchester brass - 08/22/10
I have used Remington 7x57 brass for many years with excellent results. My experience with the Winchester 7x57 is just as good, with it having a tiny bit greater case capacity than Remington. Both work fine. I also shoot large amounts of Remington centerfire handgun ammo, and have never had an issue or a split case before or after firing.
© 24hourcampfire