Home
Posted By: DCUP My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 10/30/10
Taken Oct. 15, 2010. He weighed 275 lbs., dressed, on the official scales; the local bear registration guy (a real bear hunting fanatic) says that's about 330 lbs. live weight. It's my 5th bear, and definitely my biggest.

Mossberg 935 12 gauge, 3.5", 000-buckshot, turkey choke. Approximately a 25 foot shot. Yep, it was real close, hence the choice of gun/load.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: maddog Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 10/30/10
DCUP, congrats! That's a helluva nice bear.

maddog
Posted By: JRC280 Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 10/30/10
Nice looking bear.
Thats a real nice bear UP Im guessing!
Posted By: DCUP Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 10/30/10
Originally Posted by saddlering
Thats a real nice bear UP Im guessing!

Yep! Eastern U.P., Chippewa County.
maddog and JRC,

Thanks for the props. I was VERY happy with this bear!
Posted By: efw Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 10/30/10
Beautiful bear DCUP; I am jealous... 5 bears topped by this brute!

Good job!
Originally Posted by efw
Beautiful bear DCUP; I am jealous... 5 bears topped by this brute!

Good job!

Thanks efw!

For the record, this is only my 2nd EUP bear. I got 1 in Sask. and 2 in Ont.
Posted By: Huntr Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 10/30/10
Very nice!
Posted By: SKane Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 10/30/10
DCUP,

Nice bruin. You were truly "loaded for bear" with that chootin' iron.
awesome bear anywhere, and especially in our state!
Great looking bear! Congrats!
Thanks fellas.

Salmonhead, I have heard that our average bear killed is about 175 lbs. But I know there are big ones out there. It's just that most people won't pass on any bear and probably can't judge them very well. Those things are understandable due to limited tags and bears' inherent reclusiveness.
Posted By: Scotty Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 10/30/10
Nice bear!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 10/30/10
Great bear.
Very Nice cool
Nice bear. Yooper country, huh? I got a buddy that lives up here that is from there.
Posted By: DCUP Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 10/31/10
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Nice bear. Yooper country, huh? I got a buddy that lives up here that is from there.

Really? Which town is he from?
Just heard a buddie of mine that has my old place in Lake county in the northern lower, might, have the new record Muzzleloader, for bear, 570lbs,will fine out this week has a big skull I guess, we knew a big one was around for the last few years but had to wait to draw a tag I have 10points now so maybe next year!
Posted By: DCUP Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 10/31/10
Originally Posted by saddlering
Just heard a buddie of mine that has my old place in Lake county in the northern lower, might, have the new record Muzzleloader, for bear, 570lbs,will fine out this week has a big skull I guess, we knew a big one was around for the last few years but had to wait to draw a tag I have 10points now so maybe next year!

10 points and no tag yet?? Wow you've gotten the shaft!

There was a 550 pounder taken near Grayling this fall. Saw it on the news. I can't imagine trying to get one that big out of the woods!
I didnt talk to him, my brother did and saw the pics, took 6 big guys to get the bear out the 60yrds to the truck, my brother, said it looked like a black gizz., I app. for a pt. this year so my buddie could draw, but theres guys with 10pts that didnt get drawn, trying for the Baldwin unit! they only give about 40-60 tags a year.
Posted By: Youper Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 11/01/10
Nice bear. Bait or dogs?
Posted By: DCUP Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 11/01/10
Bait
congrats on a nice bear, what kind of performance did that buckshot have, where did the pellets hit him?
Posted By: DCUP Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 11/02/10
Originally Posted by CAMONICK
congrats on a nice bear, what kind of performance did that buckshot have, where did the pellets hit him?

Pretty good actually. He was directly under me, so I shot straight down through his back and shoulders. Didn't hit spine as I had hoped to. Anyway, good damage inside, lungs and heart both. Some of the pellets went right through and came out his chest. He ran less than 50 yards before dropping.
What a beauty. Congrats.
Very nice bear. Will try the UP in 3 more years prolly Delta county
Posted By: DCUP Re: My 2010 Michigan Black Bear - 11/03/10
Originally Posted by jaydub in wi
Very nice bear. Will try the UP in 3 more years prolly Delta county

Menominee county is known for some good bears historically. But I'm sure Delta will do you fine. smile
Congratulations from a fellow Yooper (although since I have only lived here for 21 years some of the natives still consider me a troll).

That is a great bear.
© 24hourcampfire