Home
Posted By: GRF 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/15/11
Gentlemen and ladies; I would like to share with the folks at the fire the results of some bullet testing I have done. In 2008 and 2009 I did some bullet testing prior to choosing which bullet to use in my .325 WSM for my trip to Namibia. All bullets were fired into wet mixed paper and cardboard, later on the Barnes 180 grain TSX and the 200 grain Swift A-Frame were fired in wet tightly bound glossy magazines layered with wet mixed paper. In comparing bullets recovered from game; the wet mixed paper and cardboard behaved similar those recovered from game which travelled through soft tissue, the glossy magazines created expansion very similar to recovered bullets which had penetrated a great deal of bone. One of the 200 g A-Frames looks almost identical to one which penetrated a scapula and a good deal of spine on a sharply quartering away Kudu. I assume this is due to the kaolinite clay which is used in coated paper. All tests were done at 50 yards, all loads were within 1 grain of the maximum charge for the bullet and powder used. This is definitely not a conclusive test just something of interest. I apologise for the quality of the photos. I hope this proves entertaining. Special thanks to Roadrunner65 for his assistance in learning to post photos.

First up is the Hornady 150 grain interlock in the range of 3200 fps mv rapid expansion and rather limited penetration.[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

The 180 grain Nolser Ballistic was used in the form Combined technologies factory ammo at +/- 2900 fps mv. Twelve bullets were recovered 3 kept their cores, penetration was quite variable with the deepest in the range of 17 inches with the most shallow in the range of 8 inches.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I will try to finish this post Friday evening, 195 g Hornady, 200g Accubond, 200g Barnes XLC, 220g Seirra Gameking, 180g Barnes TSX and the 200g swift A-frame to follow. Thanks GRF
Posted By: GRF Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/15/11
The 195g Hornady Interlock; 5 bullets were recovered all cores remained in the jackets. The jackets were quite stressed in some cases the bases were ruptured. Penetration was fairly consistent although in the mid range about 11-12". [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

The 200g Nosler AccuBond, 3 bullets were recovered; 2 had very consistent expansion, one had an irregular "wing" off on side. The cores were very secure in the jackets, penetration was consistent, relatively deep and straight line. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
The 200 grain Barnes XLCs; (+/- 2800 fps mv) that were recovered (7) seemed to support the claims that the pre TSX Barnes could have issues with not enough expansion. With less than full expansion at 50 yards I would be concerned with expansion at longer ranges or lower muzzle velocities for this bullet. [Linked Image]

220 grain Seirra Gameking mv +/-2700 fps, 2 recovered, both lost their cores not full expansion penetration not as great as I expected from a heavy long for calibre bullet. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

The 180 grain Barnes TSX showed very consistent expansion and deep penetration in both the hard and soft media. In the soft media average penetration was 17 inches, in the hard media penetration varied with the number petals lost; 8 inches with petals, 9.75 inches with no petals. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

The 200 grain A-Frame was the bullet I used in Namibia, good expansion, deep straight line penetration, in soft media about 17 inches average penetration, often almost side by side with 180g TSX, in the hard media 7 and 9 inches. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I hope y'all enjoyed this. GRF
Nicely done. Too bad you didn't have any 200 gr. partitions to test frown. How much did the 200 accubonds penetrate??
BSA; all my 200 grain partitions were loaded up in 8x57 cases; it is a very good bullet. GRF
Originally Posted by GRF
BSA; all my 200 grain partitions were loaded up in 8x57 cases; it is a very good bullet. GRF

I don't blame you. That bullet works wonders in the good ol 8x57.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/15/11
Not too many surprises here for me....mirrors my experience with similar bullets (though not in 8mm calibers).

Light for caliber bullets at 3200 fps exploded....as expected. Ballistic Tips came apart somewhat....also not a surprise. Was a bit surprised that the Hornady Interlock showed a tendancy to separate the core.....my experience has been a bit better. Sierra gamekings didn't hold up too well.....which I expected. Barnes solids performed inconsistantly.....which is my main complaint with monometal bullets.

A-Frames came out on top.....which is EXACTLY what I'd expect. I've always considered the A-Frame to be an "improved" Nosler Partition. Same performance WITHOUT losing the front half of every bullet fired into game.

The real surprise, to me, was the performance of the Accubond bullets. I've not had good luck with Accubonds which in my experience tend to overexpand and fail to penetrate as well as I like. I may have to re-examine these bullets as my original testing was limited......I tend to abandon an idea once it shows signs of not living up to my expectations.

Interesting testing. I think some get too hung up on test media....trying to "match" living flesh. Don't think it really matters too much what media you use....as long as it is consistant so one bullet can be compared to another under near identical conditions.

Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/15/11
The 8mm Accubond is a very good bullet. It's what went lengthwise through a deer for me, starting at the hip. Also performed perfectly on two elk.

Good test! Nice to see the 180 TSX do well; that's my bullet in my .325 BLR.
Texas Rick; I have very good experiences with 110g accubond in my .25-06, a bullet well worth considering.

One can not match a test media to animals, there are too many variables, I just wanted a harder media to really stress the bullets.

Jeff O; I use the 180g TSX for deer in my .325 very happy with it.

When I get around to it Part 2 will be to post pictures and comments on bullets recovered from game.

Thanks for your interest and comments. GRF
Posted By: Youper Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/15/11
Thanks for the data and pictures.
Posted By: efw Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/16/11
Great info here GRF. Thank you very much for the hard work. Extremely informative!

Had you considered trying the 200 gr SMK?
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/16/11
Originally Posted by GRF
Texas Rick; I have very good experiences with 110g accubond in my .25-06, a bullet well worth considering.

One can not match a test media to animals, there are too many variables, I just wanted a harder media to really stress the bullets.

Jeff O; I use the 180g TSX for deer in my .325 very happy with it.

When I get around to it Part 2 will be to post pictures and comments on bullets recovered from game.

Thanks for your interest and comments. GRF

I've got a recovered 200-gn 8mm Accubond I can post a pic of. Shot a quartering-away deer in the ass (ooops) and it smashed the hip joint then went the length of the deer. Found it under his chin. 70% retention, perfect mushroom.
Posted By: GRF Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/16/11
EFW, you're welcome. Pardon my ignorance but is SMK the Seirra Matchking? If so no I have not tryed them in 8mm. I have used them in some other calibres, most recently .303, always an accurate bullet. I would not consider using them on game.

Jeff O, I would love to see a picture of the abovementioned bullet.

GRF
Posted By: SteelyEyes Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/16/11
The 200 partition penetrated an elk from ham (exploding the femur) to brisket and on into the surrounding countryside for me once. The exit wound looked like every other one I'd made with a similar bullet in a broadside application. I imagine the Swift A Frame is similar.
Posted By: GRF Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/17/11
I have only used the 200g partition in the 8x57 on game and the 200 g AFrame in the .325 so I do not want to make a comparison between the two. Both are good bullets. GRF
Great looking test, George! It might be neat to see how the SMK fares as well. The 100gr MK has accounted for a few animals that I've killed with my .25-06, including a couple of long-range coyotes and this year's sheep. One coyote was at 942 yards and the sheep was at exactly 400 yards. I cannot vouch for the bullet's performance at close ranges, since I usually hunt with a TSX in the pipe for potential close-range shots.
Posted By: DeerSkinner Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/17/11
I like how well being able to see how the bullets actually performed is informative. I do not need to be told what works, I will from my own conclusions... with great tests like this.
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/20/11
Thanks for sharing the great info, GRF!
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Not too many surprises here for me....mirrors my experience with similar bullets (though not in 8mm calibers).

Barnes solids performed inconsistantly.....which is my main complaint with monometal bullets.

A-Frames came out on top.....which is EXACTLY what I'd expect. I've always considered the A-Frame to be an "improved" Nosler Partition. Same performance WITHOUT losing the front half of every bullet fired into game.

Interesting testing. I think some get too hung up on test media....trying to "match" living flesh. Don't think it really matters too much what media you use....as long as it is consistant so one bullet can be compared to another under near identical conditions.

Perhaps I'm seeing a different test? From what I gather, in this test the TSX performed with remarkable consistency, and with equal penetration to the A-Frame.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/21/11
I would like to see how the Woodleighs fit in but I am sure they would be right up there with the A-frame.
Posted By: GRF Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/22/11
Yes the TSX was very consistent the XLC had dubious expansion. I have used the 180 TSX on deer with very good results. GRF
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/22/11
Good test! Thanks for posting this.I know which I'd grab... smile
Posted By: GRF Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/22/11
Which would that be Bob? I am a big fan of the Swift, Nosler and Barnes. GRF
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/22/11
GRF: I like the Swift Aframe;that 180 Barnes would be #2.

Should qualify this by saying I am not an 8mm shooter and am going by my experience with Bitterroots,which are similar to a Swift.

I have watched the 200 Partition work a bit from a pals' 8 Rem Mag and it is good as well.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/22/11
The TSX does perform well.....as long as velosity is held above 3000 fps. I'd like to see this same test at perhaps 2500 fps. The mono-metal bullets look good when tested at top velosity, but start to become inconsistant when velosity drops (which is very likely to happen at ranges over 200 yards).

In my own experience, the mono-metal bullets are just too inconsistant for me to trust. I much prefer a lead-based premium bullet such as the Nosler or Swift for over-all use. I admit I am a bit set in my ways, but don't trust any "new" Magic bullets when I KNOW what the older favorites will do.

Wat too much "me too" involved in evaluations and not enough real world experience.
Posted By: GRF Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 04/23/11
I have not recovered a TSX from game yet. When using the Barnes for any reloading I use light for calibre bullet weights; the 120g TTSX in my daughters 7-08, or the 180g in .325. In a heavy for calibre bullet the Partition or the a-Frame have proven to be wonderful. I have shot and seen a lot of game shot with various partitions and have yet to recover one.

This summer (if it ever arrives here) I will try the 180g TSX at 200 plus yards in test media. GRF
Posted By: Fotis Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 06/29/12
Awesome test. Thank you!
Posted By: Tejano Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 06/30/12
Great test. I might add that even the bullets that didn't look pretty would still probably have brought home the game.
Posted By: jwall Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 06/30/12
Fotis - thnx for resurrecting this thread. I've been a member since '10 but
missed this thread.

I've used Rem 185s for practice but have not tested them for hunting or
curiosity.

I've killed deer w/Speer 200s and they pass thru w/o opening enough on broadside shots for me. Don't like shooting shoulders IF I don't have to.

The Speer & Nosler 200s shoot close to the same POI. Doesn't take much
to adjust to Noslers IF / when I get to elk hunt.

I have some Sierra 220s but this test PARALLELS my other Sierra tests. No
surprise to me.

Thnx Again

Jerry
Posted By: bearstalker Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 06/30/12
Good test. I love those Swift bullets. A-Frame and Scirocco 2 are about as good as it gets, imo.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 8mm bullet test part 1 - 06/30/12
I will be trying sierra 220 and 200 gr Nosler AB's in my new 8mm maggie
No real surprises here but I always enjoy reviewing the results of wet paper and waterjug testing. They aren't flesh and bone targets but they do provide a fairly consistent test media.
That's a good report GRF and it mirrors my experience with the TSX in 8mm mauser. I haven't recovered a TSX from deer, elk or bear, all being complete pass throughs at the modest muzzle velocity of 2740fps with a 180gr bullet. Thanks for your work.
© 24hourcampfire