Home
Posted By: JohnMoses Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/07/11
Looking at picking up a 7/08 and was wondering what folks opinions are on this caliber for elk.

140 grain boolits...Max effective range?
Posted By: Flinch Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/07/11
140 grain ballistic tip or Hornady flat base spire point out to 500 yards no sweat. GREAT round and a hammer on game. Flinch
Excellent combo, I'd not want to be an elk within the range of 700 or in and I have no doubt it'll do it a lot farther.

Wreck the lungs via flight 140 NBT of 140 Berg or 139 Horn and it's game over..

Dober
Well never had a 7-08 but have or have had a 284, a 6.5x55, a 308, a 270, a 25/06, and while not quite willing to go 700 like Dober (reflects on me as much as the cartridge), depending on circumstances would go 400 with ease and maybe some more.
It's a good 300-400 yard elk rifle ,get out further than that and there are Much better choices.I would not shoot at elk past 500 yards with one.
With the right conditions I'd go to 700, if the 140 was started @ say 2800 then @ 700 it'd still be moving along at 1862 fps or so and dats plenty to get that bugger to wreck havvoc on lungs etc and when they're wrecked the game be over.

But, the conditions have to be right for me to go Long.

The 7/08 is another fine round that for the most part will easily outperform what I can do (of course that aint real tough..)with the lil bugger.

Dober
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/07/11
What's wrong with the 140 gr partition in that -08?
I'd never shoot at one past 300 yds if I get the chance to go. I'm the limiting factor there, not the cartridge. I have a Micro Medallion in 7/08 with a 20" bbl (Dad uses it).

Just been hankering for a M70 EW in that caliber and probably getting ready to dump a bunch of guns I don't use anymore.

Looking for one short action that will do most of what I want and not kick my brains out at the range.

JM
Here's the Dober Dawg recipe for a ton load of fun all at a cost you can afford.

Buy a 700 Yute in 7/08 (comes with a standard contour 7/08 barrel cut to 20" so you have some weight forward to it), add a Ti take off for about 175 bones or so. Find a youth or lady to give the Youth take off stock to for good karma.

Add Talley's, a Montana sling and a 6x36 w/dotz or a 3-9 Leo with M1 or a Burris 3-9 BP.

Add a bullet of your choice over R17 and go forth and fill up a few arks and then get back to us...grin

Rig will go about 7 1/4 pound or so and will be the Peter Frampton (aka Rock Star) rifle for you!

Dober

Probably what we should all shoot. grin
Posted By: Huntr Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/07/11
140gr Accubond and H4350 will get it done at any sane distance.... and some insane! smile
Hey...I resemble that Insane remark... grin

Dober
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Here's the Dober Dawg recipe for a ton load of fun all at a cost you can afford.

Buy a 700 Yute in 7/08 (comes with a standard contour 7/08 barrel cut to 20" so you have some weight forward to it), add a Ti take off for about 175 bones or so. Find a youth or lady to give the Youth take off stock to for good karma.

Add Talley's, a Montana sling and a 6x36 w/dotz or a 3-9 Leo with M1 or a Burris 3-9 BP.

Add a bullet of your choice over R17 and go forth and fill up a few arks and then get back to us...grin

Rig will go about 7 1/4 pound or so and will be the Peter Frampton (aka Rock Star) rifle for you!

Dober

I think that's what I'll do! Save me some bucks for sure. Thanks Dober. grin
I'm telling U JM it's a combo that'll make your others rigs very jealous of the time you're not giving them...grin

YBIC

Dober
Thanks Dober,

One thing though, what is a Yute? LOL

YBIC
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/07/11

Dober

Got a good laugh out of that one. I think I'll save the Frampton refference to use later! grin
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Thanks Dober,

One thing though, what is a Yute? LOL

YBIC

It's a young person when you are from New Jersey.
Is it a youth gun?
Yepper-now a days they come as BDL, older ones as ADL so either find an older one or be ready to change out to ADL. Aint no bigga casa grande either way.

Dober
Posted By: Huntr Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/08/11
Hey...I resemble that Insane remark... grin

Dober

Prezactly! grin
Posted By: abc Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/08/11
I just finished paying for a 7mm-08 on lay-a-way for a 16 year old lad. Come fall he will kill two elk, several deer and one or two antelope with it. Every fall since he was 12 years old he has kill two elk some good bulls with my 257 Roberts, now he has his own gun.
Thats pretty cool stuff there ABC!

Dober
Posted By: 700LH Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/08/11
Have only been involved with one elk shot with a 7mm08. One shot and he went about 30 feet.

So now I have a question.
If a 140 gr. 7mm08 bullet is ok for elk why do I catch so much grief from fellas for using 150 gr. out of a '06?

Duckin now.....

Posted By: HighRoad Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/08/11
Here are two old threads that answer the 7-08/elk question.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3335530/1

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?27001-Another-Moose-down!!!&highlight=moose

Handloader #237 has a great article by Haviland on elk and the 7-08. PM me and I can email a copy.
[Linked Image]

All I know is, Ackley's will work to 609. Not 140's, but I'd of taken the shot with them, conditions were perfect.
Nicely done CR! What bullet did you use?

Also we should grab lunch/b-fast one of these days eh?

Dober
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/08/11
JM, 7-08 is a great round. The one I hunted elk with is a 22" Rem MR, 150-gn Partition.

In general I prefer a little more recoil in my elk rifles <grin>.
162 Amax Mark. And breakfast sometime sounds pretty good, let me know.
Sounds good, maybe next week? I'll pm you and we'll sort it out.

Dober

All I know is the little 08 is probably about my most favoritist, most go-to-iste rifle calibers I own. Their is nothing in Alaska I would be afraid to hunt with it though I intentionally choose better cartridges for some conditions and animals. That said, I have used it a couple of times on our bigger-than-elk moose, and it has worked about as well as anything else I've used - including 30-06, 340 Weatherby, and 45-70. But if I'm going out the door in winter, and I want something I know well and trust completely, it's my old 7mm-08. I know what it'll do to caribou, fox, wolves, and moose. It's a go-to rifle whether I'll be riding 20 miles or 400.
Posted By: rattler Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/08/11
my wife and daughter use a Remington Seven Youth in 7-08 for all their hunting and have had it in hand with an elk tag in their pocket though they have yet to fill said tags...just mule deer have fallen to it so far....

no elk has to do with bad luck, they have yet to chamber a round with an elk in sight that was legal on their tag......swear elk are psychic and the bulls can tell when yah have a cow tag in your pocket....been close enough to a number of bulls that you could hit them with a rock if yah have a good arm, one you coulda killed with a rock which was cool as hell and my daughter did love every second of it.....only ever seem to have a cow tag for the area though and cant get close to a freaking cow....

if it makes yah feel better i aint scared to let the air out of an elk with my 260 Remington grin
Posted By: Flinch Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/08/11
I went with the 7mm-08 mountain rifle. Stuffed it into a McMillan Remington classic stock, bedded it and filled one ark so far wink It weighs 7 1/4 lbs. with Leupy 3x9 tactical scope.

I just picked up another one in factory form. SS 700 with plastic stock and cheap scope new for $475 (Remingtons combo gun). Sold the scope and rings on Ebay for $50, bought a Boydes laminate stock for $100, bedded it and love it. I loaded up some 140 grain ballistic tips and 139 Hornadys, which shoot 3/4" for 5 shots. They shoot to the same POI as well..good enough for now laugh. I'm sure it will shoot better with some tweaking, but I am running a lot of rounds through it as is. I am running a Leupold 3x9 Mark 2 with dots and turrets. It is a fabulous combo for close and far.

The 7mm-08 is a round you can shoot all day long with no fatigue, yet is a hammer if you want to go long. Factory loads are wimpy as heck, but for handloaders, it is a dream. Lots of great bullets and powders. Flinch
Sounds like a really nice rig Flinch! Do they still make that Mark 2?

Dober
Posted By: cal74 Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/08/11
I've been debating about taking my Faux TI 7mm-08 this fall for a Cow Elk Tag I've drawn.

Both my 7mm-08's love the 140g BT, but I don't think I'd use one on an Elk. Never lost a deer to them, but have had some that seemed a bit fragile (my opinion).
Posted By: Brad Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/08/11
Looking at picking up a 7/08 and was wondering what folks opinions are on this caliber for elk.

140 grain boolits...Max effective range?

Friend and forum member Greenhorn has used the 7-08 to take a good bull at around 450 yards (IIRC). It died with a 140 TSX.

Cartridges are more alike than different and I'm certain I could spend the rest of my hunting life using a 7-08 here in MT and never have a reason to complain about the cartridge. My shooting and hunting skills perhaps, but not the cartridge. laugh
cal74-absolutely no reason not to use the 140 NBT on elk, it'll do well for you. I've used the 150 NBT a ton out of my 7 Mashburn Super and it's a pure plain killer.

Dober

(side note Cal, I used to travel to Brookings all the time, played ball a lot up at the old Barn)
Mark,
I don't think they make the Mark 2 any more, but Leupold changes and drops scope lines more than anyone.

I had a gun hack, pretending to be a rifle smith, in Texas build a custom .30-06 for me 7 years ago. I sent him the McMillan stock, Rock barrel, Sako action and 3x9 Leupy tactical scope. I wanted everything all put together and done up right and test fired for groups, which he said he would do. 4 years later, no rifle, no nothing and the scope I sent "disappeared".

The smith hit the road and I was left holding a bum receipt for services not completed and the company went out of business. Luckily, one of the old employees was hired by the new owners, knew about my rifle and offered to make things right. He put my rifle together (piss poor job), found a Leupy Mark 4 tactical kicking around in the shop and asked if I would be happy with it, since they "lost" my other scope. I just wanted SOMETHING in return for all the dozens of phone calls, lost scope, lost magazine follower and all the hassle. I agreed to take the scope in place of the one I sent in. That is how I got the scope, which turned out to be a Mark 2 scope. I didn't even know they existed. It is a good looking scope and does what I need it to do. I would definitely buy another, if they were available. Flinch
Cal, I have killed 7 or 8 bulls and a couple of truck loads of mule deer with 140 grain ballistic tips shot out of various 7mm mags. Only one bull took a step and that was because I muffed the shot wink I have total faith in the bullet, especially at 7mm-08 velocities. But, everyone requires different characteristics out of their bullets. Some INSIST on an exit hole, others insist on perfect mushroomed bullets inside somewhere, others want massive internal destruction (me). Flinch
Posted By: Deans Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/09/11
I'll be carrying a Ruger MKII stainless 7mm-08 to Oregon this November. I worked up some loads using Barnes 140gr TTSX.

Deans
I will take the word of those experienced hunters here that say the 7-08 is a good elk rifle. But 140 grain bullets? Heck, I like 160 and 175 grainers for whitetails. Whats gonna happen when that 140 grain ballistic tip lands on the shoulder of a big animal? And 700 yards? I gotta see that.
I am so tired reading about so called "hunters" who shoot our great big game at 700 yards. If you can't get within 300, you are not a hunter, just a shooter.

Within that envelope of 300 yards a 140 TSX will kill any Elk that lives if placed in the boiler room. Remember it's just a 7x57 in a different case.

My first choice ? Heck no, but for a woman or "ute" it is a fine choice IF they can hunt and shoot well enough to hit a 12" pieplate from improvised field positions at 300 yards.

Just bought a Marlin camo 7mm08 right here from another member.
It'll get matching APG NIkon rings and 3-9 and be a perfect "walk about" rifle for Mulies and should an Elk appear, a 140 TSX will do the job.
Yeah, the Barnes superdupermonometal bullets are in a class all their own, but previous posts promote the 140 grain ballistic tip cup/core bullet. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I ever take my 7x57 or 7-08 elk hunting, I guaran-dang-tee it will not be loaded with 140 grain ballistic tips.
A bit fragile IME, nice Antelope bullet. If I were to go Nosler, it would be an Accubond as I have seen them work on large Mulies and Elk and shoot just as well as a BT.

Given the cost of an Elk hunt (especially when they don't live in your backyard) makes the cost of ammo a non-event.
Posted By: Waders Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/09/11
Ask Steve Timm (dogzapper) about BT's and elk.
Heck, talk with anyone who's actually used them (NBT's) on elk...

Common theme here is normal is people who've used them on elk (Flinch, myself etc) are very comfy with using them. People who haven't used them, well they're running around saying not to use them.......zeesh

Dober
So I assume that a 7X57 with a 24" bbl will work as well, huh?
Posted By: Penguin Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/09/11
Never shot an elk John but I think you will love the 7-08.

I was lucky enough to sneak in and get a Kimber before they practically stopped making them. I have been absolutely amazed at how the little cartridge using 139 interlocks absolutely clobbers the [bleep] out of deer. Easy to tote and get around with, light kicking and easy to point and shoot. It is an amazing little cartridge and I'll have to be talked out of taking elk hunting if I ever do go.

Will
Yes it would be just fine, but if you've haven't found out for sure just go try it yourself. Sorry don't mean to give off too much Tude here but I get tired of people who haven't done things and yet they sit around and say this or that won't work..

Point being, I see many folks here who talk a ton about say elk rounds and what should be used and yet many haven't even shot elk and or with those rounds.

Or, I see people say this or that bullet won't work and yet once again when it comes down to it they haven't actually used it either...

Gotta run, have a super weekend all!

Dober
Dober speaks much truth...
Posted By: Royce Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/09/11
Funny... I remember one day back when they used to have late season Gardiner hunts- Took my stepson up to Slip & Slide outfitters- they were short on horses so I stayed at the trailhead- Stepson killed an elk with Ballistic Tips, another guy ran his gun and pockets dry shooting around the edges of an elk, guide borrowed my 270, killed that elk with Ballistic Tips, they stumbled onto another wounded elk and the guide used the old 270 with Ballistic Tips to make meat outta that one. When he got back to the trailhead, he asked what kind of bullets I had loaded because they worked pretty darn good.
Thought that was a fairly informative experience by unbiased observer.
Those ballistic Tips outta the 270 were going very little faster than you could push them in a 7/08.

Fred
It takes a very, very tough, and big, bullet to kill an elk. The shaggy wool alone, as evidenced in the picture below, is enough to turn most ordinary bullets.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The equipment, when killing elk, isn't all that complicated; it takes a moderate cartridge and decent bullet that can penetrate well enough. Gunwriters and dudes who have never seen nor killed an elk make this schit soooo complicated.

OF TOTAL IMPORTANCE is that the hunter has the patience to stalk within a distance where he has a 99% chance of probablity of placing the ONE-BULLET perfectly. Then, if the elk is not positioned well, the hunter must again have patience; this time, to wait for the elk to position himself perfectly to receive the shot.

The words above are called .... "HUNTING"

I've killed almost as many elk as I am years old. Elk hunting so resembles antelope hunting. Stalk, wait for the shot ... then kill the smelly old bugger. Big Bull Down!!!

Above is the results of two 7mm 120-grain Ballistic Tips shot from my 7-08 Ackley. Only one allowed per customer.

Steve

Thanks Mark, Steve and the rest.

I got the answer I was looking for. I'm probably about to turn into a 1 gun guy and I sure have enjoyed my 7-08 that Pop's has adopted.

Just wanted to hear from experienced folks whether or not I could use it on elk if I ever make the trip.

My son Ryan is after me to go on an elk hunt with him after he graduates from college, (2 years)

Thanks,

JM
I was definitely not trying to be a smart aleck above. I was just thinking out loud, I guess. I figured if a 708 would do it, then a 140 gr Premium or maybe a lighter weight Barnes TTX moving out at around 2800 would work as well. I could use the old 06 or 280, but I would rather actually hunt an elk a little more "up close" if I ever get another chance to. By using the old Mauser, it would put another element of special to remember into the hunt. My wife definitely like to eat elk, and they do fill a couple of freezers much more quickly than white tails do. I would hunt them with old coke bottles if they would get the job done. Killed more than a couple of squirrels as a kid with those, hehe.
Steve made the most important point about hunting any big game. Being a HUNTER far outweighs being a bug shooter off a bench rest, what rifle you use and so on.

You can't get too close and even a 30-30 with iron sights and 170 gr factory ammo will kill any Elk that walks IF the HUNTER gets close and puts the bullet behind the shoulder.

Having a pile of "tactical" equipment will never be superior to being a HUNTER.
You're obviously new here so I'll give you a tip.

Mark D. is probably one of the best hunters on this site and an honest gent.

Shot distances that seem ridiculous to you and I are made every season by him and a few others that post on this board.

Terrain will dictate how we hunt certain animals.

I've killed enough whitetails with a bow to sink a ship , so I know about being close.

Whether you are killing them at spitting distance or over in the next township, both require a lot of skill, patience and most of all....practice.

Those that have the skill to do it are hunters. Those that don't, but try are not.

JM
Posted By: las Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/10/11
I was looking for a 7mm-08 barrel to fit to the Rem 725 SA, but what I came up with was a .260 700 TI bbl. After lapping the bolt, the headspace was a bit tight on the guage, no headspacing work required, but chambered all factory rounds, even if the bbl was exactly upside down according to it's stampings. smile

150 yards, 140 gr Corelokts. DRT. My son knocked a cow caribou kicking at 200 yards several weeks before, and 2 weeks after the elk(same bullet, factory load) I scored a wolf at 40 yards, ( - part of a pack that was shadowing us in the thick stuff alongside a FS trail. This one came out in the open to invite my Lab to "Come Play".

Don't see why a 7-08 chambering would not do as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by goodiewrench
I am so tired reading about so called "hunters" who shoot our great big game at 700 yards. If you can't get within 300, you are not a hunter, just a shooter.

I�ve got a couple problems with that statement. The first is that I�d rather hunt with someone who is capable of hitting consistently at 700 yards than someone who can barely stay on paper at 200. The second is that �getting closer� isn�t always possible � there are too many variables including weather, property boundaries, terrain, time, pressure from other hunters and so on.

My longest shot elk was 350 yards and it is also the one I am most proud of. We spotted the elk in the sage at 11:30 AM on a hill about 600 yards away. At the time none of us were even close to prepared to take a shot at that range, so we waited, hoping they would move off this hill. We waited through sun, rain and sleet, then a couple inches of snow and more sun. At sundown they started moving off the hill and we were able to get within 450 yards. The last 100 yards I covered on my back, pushing myself headfirst with my feet through snow, prickly pear and barrel cactus. At 350 yards I hit a downslope where I would have been fully exposed in the dwindling sunlight. I sat up and took my time, then nailed the largest bodied bull elk I�ve ever taken. A few minutes later marked the end of legal shooting hours.

Last fall my son-in-law took his first elk at 363 yards. We were on the top on one point and the elk were just below the top of the next point over. The time was an hour before sundown. We knew there were elk in the timbered draw between us but we couldn�t see them and didn�t know exactly where they were. (Every now and then we would get a glimpse of one or hear a bull bugling. He had been sitting watching and waiting for several hours with Daughter #2 and I had joined them about 2PM.) Had we tried to get closer on a straight line we would been fully exposed on the open face of our point, in late but bright sunlight. If we tried to circle around through the draw we would have lost sight of the elk we could see, would have still been exposed as we approached the draw, and stood a very good chance of spooking the elk in the draw. Even though the sun was low and directly over the elk, washing out the scope, the 363 yard shot was his best opportunity. I had my son-in-law use the main trunk of a scrub oak tree to shade this scope. He took his time and the elk was on the ground before he recovered from the recoil. This was his only day for elk hunting and the shot came shortly before sundown.

You may not consider such shots just �shooting� because they are over your arbitrary limit of 300 yards. I would disagree. Being able to consistently make a shot at extended ranges isn�t something that just happens � it doesn�t require fancy equipment but it does require a lot of practice. Over the years I�ve turned down every opportunity over 350 yards and many a ranges under your limit of 300 � including some at a few feet to a few yards. My hat is off to anyone that can consistently make shots at 700. And guess what � they still have to find the game first�

Posted By: las Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/10/11
Good post. 300 is my personal arbitrary limit. 500 under perfect conditions, including known range. I do not agree that it requires "a lot" of practice, tho certainly it requires some. Once one knows what the rifle does, and what one's self can do at range with that rifle under (simulated?) field conditions- mere powder down the barrel - especially at the bench - doesn't account for much.

My last turned down shot was at 263 rangefinder yards on a huge bull caribu, with a rifle I was confident in to 400 yards - I'd killed to 375 previously with it.. I had no solid rest and that crosshair was all over the place. One of the proudest shots I never made.... smile

"Range" doesn't matter as much as knowing one's comfort limits on the particular shot. My "general" range is less than some, greater than some. What those are, the circumstances dictate. Sticking with one's comfort/skill levels and not "pushing" the shot at any range is good.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/10/11
Good post las!
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/10/11

Mark D. is probably one of the best hunters on this site and an honest gent.

Shot distances that seem ridiculous to you and I are made every season by him and a few others that post on this board.

Terrain will dictate how we hunt certain animals.

I've killed enough whitetails with a bow to sink a ship , so I know about being close.

Whether you are killing them at spitting distance or over in the next township, both require a lot of skill, patience and most of all....practice.

Those that have the skill to do it are hunters. Those that don't, but try are not.

JM

JM, you know I agree across the board about Doberdawg and Dogzapper. If they say it, it's true, at least within the realm of their experience. But I'm feeling that ol' argumentative bug so here I go. smile

Everyone is gonna yell at me again but may I politely make the point that YOU hunting an unknown species (for you) in unknown terrain and conditions (for you) for the first perhaps only time (for you), is not the same thing as an Elk County native or even GUIDE with 50+ elk notched on their rifle...

7-08 is a bitchin' cartridge; my second and third BG rifles were chambered in it. It rocks. It takes a mighty big stick to get me to argue against 7-08 <g>. And if it's all you've got, [bleep], lace up your boots and go elk hunting, what are you waiting for?!

The day may come that you are stalking within XXX yards of the bull you glassed up, setting up that broadside shot, yadda yadda yadda. That's not how I've seen elk hunting play out. I've seen pressured animals, things happening fast, shot angles all over the map, adrenalin-fueled elk ready for the 1/4 mile Death Dash if you leave that option open. I've seen entire hunts coming down to (1) chance. Maybe no chance!

Anyway do as you see fit- I've carried a 7-08 elk hunting, it's an elk carteidge for certain, but in the end as I said before:

I like my elk rifle to kick a little harder than that. wink

Donning Nomex (<< great band name!)

Posted By: 358wsm Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/10/11

John, thanks for starting this thread because...

This has been one of the most enjoyable threads on here that I've had the pleasure to read.

The contributions from Dober and Dogzapper and others in the know have been practical, down to earth, matter of fact, and very informative for those who would have ears to hear.

I trust as a bowhunter that you John, know well where to place the bullet and when to place it.

You said back a post or two, "I've got my answer," and for anybody else like myself who might have been listening there was a lot to be gleaned from this thread.
I am not new here. have certainly killed more Elk, Antelope, Mule Deer and probably Big Whitetails than you. Been at it 53 years.

Long Range "hunting" has nothing to do with HUNTING. It is long range target shooting using wonderful animals as a target.

I have shot it a lot of 600 to 1000 yard matches when Uncle Sam was my boss. Far more shots down those ranges than 99.9% of the 700 yard Elk shooters.
The variables of wind, mirage and the fact that those pesky anumals are not stapled to a backer put 200 yards as the limit for the average "dude" and 400 for the guy/gal who has spent years hunting the high, back country.

If you can't get within 200/400 yards then you pass the shot or try a different approach. I know four very successful guides in ID & WY and they consider their hunt a failure if they can't get a "dude" into that 200 yard window.
A try at "success at any cost" usually results in a lost animal left to be eaten alive by Yotes, Wolves or Bears as well as a real lousy memory that the hunter will carry forever. I still think on the Whitetail I lost 30 years ago with an arrow placed just a bit too far back. Those are the regrets hunters bear forever.

IMHO "tactical wanna be snipers" are the biggest curse to afflict hunting in my lifetime. Shooting is a small part of the art of hunting and an even smaller part of the pleasure and excitement of the hunt.

Would this kill an Elk at 700 yards ? For sure as a few Yotes have found out when they paused to look back "a fur piece away". (M70 300 H&H Bull Gun BalVar 6-24)

[Linked Image]

But this killed my best bull at 18 paces, in a jungle and I could smell him.
That is HUNTING! (1809 Baker 61 caliber military flintlock)

[Linked Image]

Just one old curmudgeon's experience & opinion

Posted By: AMRA Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/10/11
If I ever had the chance at hunting outside my home state of Alabama,I would tote my Ruger 77 RSI stainless in 7mm08
with Factory Remington 140 gr. Cor lokts.The Factory 18 1/2 in.
barrel would be handy anywhere on foot or atv or horseback
or backpack.
AMRA
WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not new here. have certainly killed more Elk, Antelope, Mule Deer and probably Big Whitetails than you. Been at it 53 years.

Long Range "hunting" has nothing to do with HUNTING. It is long range target shooting using wonderful animals as a target.

I have shot it a lot of 600 to 1000 yard matches when Uncle Sam was my boss. Far more shots down those ranges than 99.9% of the 700 yard Elk shooters.
The variables of wind, mirage and the fact that those pesky anumals are not stapled to a backer put 200 yards as the limit for the average "dude" and 400 for the guy/gal who has spent years hunting the high, back country.

If you can't get within 200/400 yards then you pass the shot or try a different approach. I know four very successful guides in ID & WY and they consider their hunt a failure if they can't get a "dude" into that 200 yard window.

Would this kill an Elk at 700 yards ? For sure as a few Yotes have found out when they paused to look back "a fur piece away".

But this killed my best bull at 18 paces, in a jungle and I could smell him.
That is HUNTING!

Please enlighten us of the animals you have killed Lawrence... 3 or 4 elk... a couple of mule deer and a handful of antelope... Whitetails with a shotgun while living in NY...

You are a transplant to WY and run to FL when the weather gets cold but you try to come off as this Awesome Hunting Machine... Your hunting skills for Game out "West" is very limited...

Now you claim to have shot in 600 and 1000 yard matches while workin for Uncle Sam... When did you have time between being a "Fighter Pilot" and bunking with "USMC Snipers" to enter matches... Matches that the Air Force put on in the late 60's and early 70's... Really Lawrence...

Your imagination must be in Hyper drive now...

Who do you think you are to give out "Hunting" advice or condemn those that shoot beyond what you conceive as "Ethical"...

It's okay to shoot at coyotes at "Unethical" distances but not at game animals... Don't all animals deserve the same "Ethical" treatment....

Your "Best" bull that you are so proud of was not of your doing... It was a paid hunt in Idaho and your "Guide" sat you down and called the bull in to you... No hunting skills were involved... Good luck trying to get that 370 score you claim on that one... Unless you cut 6" off the tape...

Continue on with the lies Lawrence...

BTW... Where's those 50+ gun club members you signed on...
To the OP...

I used a 7-08 last year quite a bit... I get to kill a few elk each year and the 7-08 worked well...

Shots were between 50 yds out to 525 yds and I had NO problems at all... I used the 139 GMX with out fail...

Shot placement of course is the key factor and I would feel comfortable taking shoots out to 600 and a little more if the need arose with the 7-08 and the GMX load...
Oldbossgooddouchelady1942 just got owned.
Posted By: Waders Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/10/11
POST DELETED
Posted By: pointer Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/10/11
Funny how the 22-06 pronghorn, regardless of which state it was shot in, wasn't within the 300 yard window he advocates...

Posted By: Flinch Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/11/11
I have only killed one elk with the GMX load at 350 yards, but was impressed, to say the least.

I have killed a bunch more, but this is a good sample of 140 grain ballistic tip kills. No monsters, but that is the nature of hunting over the counter units with high hunter density. It is tough hunting and it is rare I have seen anything over the size of a rag horns.

I have had NO problem at all busting shoulders with said bullet from any angle. They don't always exit, but are "usually" found right under the offside skin. Bulls SELDOM take a step after being hit. Flinch
[Linked Image]
So far the GMX has preformed well for me... I've killed a schit ton of elk with it last season and all did not take it well...

It might be my most favorite-est boolit in my 7-08 ever...
Posted By: Flinch Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/11/11
How far out are you killing them with the GMX? I'm thinking 400-450 is about the extended range they will reliably expand. They don't leave much of an exit hole. Flinch
Posted By: 65BR Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/11/11
I feel the 140 NAB would be a great choice, and an Amax for longish shots where the bullet will expand will and still retain.

Love the 130 AB in my 260 and 6.5x55 loads and they as does the 140 .277 version, share very similar SD/BC.

No doubt Barnes and PTs will do as most any 140 whether Corelokts, or the 1 gr lighter 139s..Rem's original '140' Corelokt bullet in the 7/08.

Shot placement.

Nah, he ain't new here, he just has to change his name every so often because of the stupid crap he says on threads like this.
Posted By: cole_k Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/11/11
John Moses, I think a 7/08 is much better elk cartridge than say a .243 Win.
I would handload a 140 gr premium bullet. And keep my shots inside 400 yards.
I've killed 'em out to 525 and wouldn't hesitate to take it longer if I needed too... Ive seen 50 cent size exit holes...

I usually take high shoulder shots and the GMX is Hell on bone...

I have a few recovered bullets from the 450-500 range and expansion looked good... If/when I can find them, I'll hang a pic or two...

Within that envelope of 300 yards a 140 TSX will kill any Elk that lives if placed in the boiler room. Remember it's just a 7x57 in a different case.

This is utter bullsh**. In terms of ethics, there is no difference between a 700 yard shot and a 300 yard shot, provided the hunter has the skill to place the bullet.

Getting within 300 yards of an elk requires no special skills, or for that matter, 200 yards. There's nothing special about getting within 300 yards.

The only thing "different" about 300 yards is, the average guy thinks 300 is within his range, and knows that 700 is not.
Posted By: Flinch Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/12/11
I would like to see some pics of the recovered nuggets. I haven't recovered any laugh They are good on bone for sure. I still think they could have made the nose underneath the plastic tip a bit wider for longer range expansion. I have only shot one elk with them in .30-06 last year, but I was impressed. Flinch
Originally Posted by smokepole

This is utter bullsh**. In terms of ethics, there is no difference between a 700 yard shot and a 300 yard shot, provided the hunter has the skill to place the bullet.

Getting within 300 yards of an elk requires no special skills, or for that matter, 200 yards. There's nothing special about getting within 300 yards.

The only thing "different" about 300 yards is, the average guy thinks 300 is within his range, and knows that 700 is not.

There you go clouding his theory with rational thinking... How dare you... grin
[Linked Image]

Obviously you survived, but it looks like you were in the opening stages of cardiac arrest.
Oh crap, now you've done it. Goodie (or whatever name he's using these days) will be along any minute to tell you to cease and desist--that photo he posted of himself on the internet is copyrighted.

He has a copyright lawyer on retainer, dontcha' know. Being a publisher and all. He's probably gettin' ready to "go all US Attorney" on ya right now, as we speak.
I met a hunter in Clayton, New Mexico a few years ago who killed a monster 6x6 with her 7-08. She was 13 when she dropped him with one shot at 403 yards. Her dad guided her and lasered it. It was impossible for me to tell who had the bigger smile - her or her dad. She used a 140 Partition, another bullet that merits consideration.

The only problem with 7-08's is they cause a lot of other rigs to lose their appeal. Have fun!
With a name like TexasPhotog, you shoulda posted a picture of that. grin
Wish I did have a pic! shocked
Originally Posted by las
One of the proudest shots I never made....

That is one of the most profound statements I have ever read about hunting. Been there, done that, many times. I am very sure there are many good hunters out there who have done the same...and will do so again.

In all of our talk about long or short range shots, I think this thought gets lost. There is a huge difference in discussing what a cartridge is capable of and actually pulling the trigger when in the field. Most of us who have taken the long shots have also passed them up when the conditions were not right.

Just because we were skilled enough to shoot far does not mean that we had to or that we would, given the circumstances.

Can I steal that quote for my signature?
Being from North Carolina and genetically biased against sales hype and ego, I used to think that 15X optics and the validity of +400 yard shooting was myth and spin.

I was wrong. There are many places where the ability to find and hit game at those distances is the difference between going home with memories and going home meatless. Visit me and I will buy the coffee and show you where good elk may be found and killed at 500 yards and no other way. Which is not to say one must choose such an option.

Elk and deer know how to put themselves where they cannot be stalked except by a very fast snake. But the snakes can't see them because they have no binocular ...

There is some country where your options will be cut in half if you cannot shoot long. Since it seems fun, I intend to learn to do it. Long distance skills translate into short shots, but not the inverse. My hunt, my choice.
One of the proudest shots I never made.... smile

ditto that. It can't be better said.
Hey,
Kind of a newby here, but I carry a Sako in 7-08. Typical jobber that is stainless with the grey/black plastic stock. I like it a lot. I have a sweet hunk of walnut that myself and a friend are going to craft into a stock more to my liking. Shot a my best bull, a wonderfully solid 6x6, in southcentral CO with that rifle at 412 yards lazered. Shooting 160gr standard Barnes-X over 4320, I think, or it could have been Varget as I love that stuff, too. I had a an awesome walk in to where I like to hunt. One of those great mornings where the stars are right up in your face. I remember seeing a falling star that must have had a ton of iron in it as it burned red, red, red. Got sat down below a certain saddle that has been good to me. Sat there for about 30 minutes when I heard a bugle about a 1/2 mile further up the canyon. At this point, it was about 10 minutes after first light and historically, the elk are coming over this saddle just at first light. Decided that although the saddle elk could be running late, I figured that they decided to alter their course of travel and were coming over a ridge down the canyon. I decided to get up and meander. Hoofed it along the ridge wall about 600 yards when I heard the bugle again. I slowed and glassed and saw a very nice bull cresting the ridge and bugling back to the ladies making promises. The cows started following him slowly down the chute. I had time to sneak another 60-80 yards with the cows, one by one, noticing me (guess I wasn't doing a good sneak job.) I had come to a scree field and knew I could not go any further without causing waves. I lazered the distance at 412 yards and then laid down across a log and placed the crosshairs on him to think about the situation. I really do not like to shoot an animal further than 300 yards and 412 was a lot further. I have shot that distance and more with my 7-08 at the range and do well with it, but for hunting I like it less than 300. Well, as I was doing my thinking, the critters were moving down the chute towards timber along the creek that runs through the canyon base. I have a 4-12x Leupold with a Boone & Crockett reticle. I set the 450yd crosshare on his chest and continued to follow him... thinking... do I really want to shoot a bull at this yardage with a 7-08. The books say that it is okay given the load, but it is above my... BOOM!!! Apparently I had been applying steady trigger pressure releasing the pin. The bullet struck the bull directly behind the shoulder strikng the offside shoulder. This spun the bull 180* uphill where he attempted to take a single step and proceeded to topple butt over teakettle down the hill. This bull was DOA. I was shocked at how hard the bullet slammed the bull and the velocity it spun him. It is hard to believe that it spun him uphill, but that is what happened. It was just so neat. From the walk in with the stars to getting to hear him call, to seeing him and his cows descend the mountain, to a suprise shot. It could have not been a better day. My father and his hunting buddy (who has hunted elk in the same area for 47 of the last 49 years) heard the shot and came over the opposing ridge to help me gut and quarter the animal to pack out. I was very thankful for the assistance.

Anywho, my father is newly diagnosed prostate cancer with some concerning spots on his throat. Not a smoker but had radiation on his tonsils instead of a tonsilectomy as a kid. We are hoping these are independent cancers and not a metastasis. I don't need any words of condolence, but I would ask that you pray for him. Thanks.

Also, I just want to say that I shot a 220 lb whitetail buck at 200 yards with a 139gr Hornady SST and struck the onside shoulder where the bullet shattered and created a dinner plate sized wound. Almost lost the buck. I, personally, have sworn off ballistic tipped bullets for game hunting and, again personally, would not use them for a tough critter like elk.

I am wanting to move to using partitions instead of the X-bullets due to all of the hype of "no lead, use copper instead" junk. Could anyone testify to partitiions from a 7-08 using 160gr bullets? I would appreciate it.

Sorry for the rambling.

MM
Posted By: las Re: Opinions on 7-08 for Elk? - 07/18/11
Originally Posted by ShortRifleFan
Originally Posted by las
One of the proudest shots I never made....

That is one of the most profound statements I have ever read about hunting. Been there, done that, many times. I am very sure there are many good hunters out there who have done the same...and will do so again.

In all of our talk about long or short range shots, I think this thought gets lost. There is a huge difference in discussing what a cartridge is capable of and actually pulling the trigger when in the field. Most of us who have taken the long shots have also passed them up when the conditions were not right.

Just because we were skilled enough to shoot far does not mean that we had to or that we would, given the circumstances.

Can I steal that quote for my signature?

"You betcha" Sarah Palin. smile
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
One of the proudest shots I never made.... smile

ditto that. It can't be better said.

Yeah, but my kid is still giving me chit for not taking it, after me impressing on him that "if the shot is there, take it". I think he got the message, but is just giving me chit anyway... smile Besides - he had already killed his 'bou.

He did agree - with a chit eating grin - that that stalk was the best time we'd had on the whole SNAFU hunt- it started out as a backpack sheep hunt- and we walked right thru several hundred caribou with valid 'bou tags all around on the way in until we aborted the sheep hunt, and turned to 'bou on the way out.

I think I just might have hooked him on hunting with that one...
I have hunted various Ruger 77 OM calibers in the Arctic, mid 70s and mid-90s, and am back presently, with a 17 inch bbled RU 77 OM (tang model) '06, with which I have perfect confidence to 400 yards, assuming I have accurate laser ranger measurements.

I would.
© 24hourcampfire