Home
Posted By: ehunter Portable meat pole idea's - 10/10/11
We will be in Co the 4th season and the area we will be camped in has little or no tree's. What have you guys made for a portable meat pole that can be carried in a utility trailer?

thanks
Lots of guys make gadgets that fit into a receiver hitch on the pickup. Use some 2" square tubing, a hack saw and a welder and go to town.

That said, I've done the gutless field dressing method on a couple of animals and I'll never hang one to skin it again....
Posted By: eh76 Re: Portable meat pole idea's - 10/10/11
Dreamed this up the week before the hunt this fall.Had local fab shop build it as I can't weld.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ehunter Re: Portable meat pole idea's - 10/10/11
No sorry I am not talking about gutting. I mean for hanging elk they will be probably boned out. Depending on the pack out we will either bone them in the field or back at camp but we need to be able to hang the meat if we get a couple down.

That is a slick hookup last time ine WY I used a bike hitch to hang the lopes from for cleaning but yours is a lot taller.
Not very fancy but I took some long black pipe, made a couple tripods and string a heavier black pipe across the top. Gets the meat high off the ground.

Works well and sets up/knocks down easily.
Posted By: ghost Re: Portable meat pole idea's - 10/10/11
If you go to Sportmen's Guide, I got a catelog today, there's a tent shaped 3 legged game hanging set up in there for ? I think about a $100.00 , but could be off on the high end. It's supposed to support up to 500lbs and weighs 35 lbs, so should be carriable in a truck bed. Can take a look at it at least.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Portable meat pole idea's - 10/10/11
Originally Posted by ehunter
No sorry I am not talking about gutting. I mean for hanging elk they will be probably boned out. Depending on the pack out we will either bone them in the field or back at camp but we need to be able to hang the meat if we get a couple down.

That is a slick hookup last time ine WY I used a bike hitch to hang the lopes from for cleaning but yours is a lot taller.

Yep it is 5 ft tall from the hitch collapsed and 7.5 ft extended. It will handle an elk quarter.
Posted By: ehunter Re: Portable meat pole idea's - 10/10/11
Thanks guys we have been tossing around the idea of the pipes like you suggested I will look at sportsman guide as well.
I use 4x4 posts set in deck blocks with another 4x4 across the top and 1 brace per side.

Take a 10 ft 4x4 and drill pilot holes for the posts (which are 8 ft long). I hang the top over the ends of the posts 18 inches. I use 3/8 lags to secure it. Then you just tip the whole thing up and slide the posts in the deck blocks. I use 1 2x4 brace per side.

Its strong, cheap, and easy to take apart and put back together.

I use 2 tools. I use a cordless drill to screw in the lags with a 9/16 nut driver. I use the same drill to screw in the braces that I hammer into the ground with a hammer.

I've had 4 muleys swinging on it more than once. Good luck!
We hang moose and caribou from a portable meatpole made of 2X4's and folding sawhorse clamps.
Our setup is 4 12 foot 2X4's for legs, and one 2x6 for a crossbar. Lay the crossbar in the clamps, spread the legs and stand it up. We the nail a couple of shorter 2X4's to the legs for braces and it's all ready to go.
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire