Home
Posted By: JCS271 I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
As many of you know I had a great hunt last week and took my first Montana wolf.

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5756575/Finally_got_my_wolf#Post5756575

Any way, I thought it would be very appropriate to celebrate this hunt by at least "trying" to eat him. I cut out his backstraps which truly looked like great cuts of meat. I then took it to my neighbor who used to own a meat shop and catering business. He and I made up a special "Molloy Marinade" (named after fed judge Molloy who has meddled with this hunt for years). It was a mix of red wine, olive oil, kosher salt, pepper and a few dashes of spices that I couldn't identify. We let it soak for 48 hours and last night at a neighborhood celebration party we grilled the wolf! On my honor as a hunter, I will say with complete truthfulness, the meat was EXCELLENT! There were a few folks who just couldn't get past the thought of wolf meat but for those that tried it, they were shocked. It was tender, moist and had great flavor. One guest who is a serious cook said that if people knew what this tasted like they would be shooting a lot more wolves. When it was over, several people took chunks home to share with their friends. I am now regretting not harvesting more of the meat to try as a roast and even make into jerky. I am writing this about 12hrs after dinner last night. It will soon be time to take a quick walk in the woods and return the old boy to the earth from which he came, just as I am sure he would have done for me had our encounter on that day ended differently.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ringworm Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
good for YOU. But I refrain from eating fellow predators. The only ones I kill on a regular basis are coyotes anyway.
And if you want that, i'll give you all the meat on 'em.
Posted By: jryoung Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
That's awesome you kept and open mind and ate it. Not only that, you discovered that it's good. They say you are what you eat so since wolves eat elk they must be good right?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
JCS271, cool story, thanks for sharing and welcome to the fire, cant think of a more fitting fate for a wolf grin

Gunner
Posted By: northern_dave Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
The dude ate a woof.

My new hero, that's awesome!

grin

Posted By: VAnimrod Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
That, sir, is simply awesome!

WELL DONE!
Posted By: waterrat Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
I've never given much thought to eating a wolf,,lynx sure is good though!
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Looks right tasty
Posted By: ingwe Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The dude ate a woof.

grin

No kidding...I wouldnt even have thought of it...good on you...
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Now I know what to bring to the next Greater Yellowstone Coalition Party!! smile

ddj
Posted By: logcutter Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Did you try any without the marinade?I have ate wolf a couple times at the Riggins game feed but it was all doctored up/marinated etc leaving the actual taste of the meat, illusive,just like Rocky Mountain Oysters,there great if cooked up right in the right stuff.

Congrats on the Wolf.I just got back from 6 weeks out and saw a pack of eight/a single and two running together...They were there one minute and gone the next without time to shoot.

Jayco
Posted By: Grunt_0351 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
That's pretty darn cool man!
Posted By: EddyBo Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Cool. I have eaten just about everything else, something on my list of new things to try.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Well done - glad to know it tastes good - I guess I'd be like most and not think of trying it - but heck why not!!
Posted By: rost495 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
I can't say that I"ve seen any meat that I've ever skinned that left me thinking no way. I can't say that I've tried everything though either.
Typically its all in your head though.

Glad you did well and the meat turned out fine!

Now if we could just get a bunch more of them dead and under control life would be better.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
I loved the story.
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Im right there with you. I ate my lion and cooked some of it in a roast and fed it to other hunters. They loved it until they found out what it was!
Posted By: bobtails Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Looks like good meat to me. Congrats on your wolf.
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Always wondered if folks ate them!

Maybe I'll have to get me a wolf!
Posted By: viking Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
If you get the itch to start howling.........

Thats cool.
Posted By: SKane Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
The dude ate a woof.

grin

Yep!

Couple of folks in this neck of the woods that sport bumper stickers; "Wolf tastes like chicken"...... grin
Posted By: SU35 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
So now that you have developed a taste for dog meat. Are you planning on visiting the local pound to rescue fido?

Posted By: 1minute Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Readings of several Artic and Antartic adventures speak of consuming dogs. When the dogs were in good condition, most found them quite tastie. When totally rung out and on their last legs, not so good.

Wish I had been around,
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Lewis and Clarks men traded for dogs when they were along the Columbia and it wasn't for companionship.

ddj
Posted By: Huntr Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Very, very cool!
Posted By: logcutter Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
The Blackfoot, Crow, Flatheads, Nez Perce, Shoshoni, Bannock, and Ute did not eat dogs, but the Sioux, Cheyenne, Arapaho, Kiowa, and Apache gave special feasts where dog meat was the main dish.

Jayco
Posted By: longshot3 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
I'd try anything once. Good on ya!
Posted By: slg888 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Hell Ya! I'd try it also.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
JCS271: Congratulations on the Wolf harvest and wowsers on the eating of said beast!
I did not know that Wolf meat was pleasing to the human palate.
I have eaten Cougar though and its very good as well.
Keep up the good work.
That is a dandy barbecue you all have there by the way.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: eyeball Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Hot Dawg!
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11

What a great story! Just terrific.

Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/03/11
Wow,..sounds like something Chuck Norris would regularly dine on..!

wink

Thanks for the write up and pics...
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Well done or was it med rare?Glad you got some use out of it besides a nice rug.But am still waiting for Brent D to come on sound like a dick. Magnum Man
Posted By: okhill Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Thanks for sharing JCS, who knew???????????
Posted By: BrentD Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Magnum, You are such an idiot. But that's okay. I expect it in you.

No reason wolves wouldn't taste good. After all, they have a great diet! We seem to focus on eating herbivorous mammals but never herbivorous fish. We eat from the top of the aquatic food chain but almost never in terrestrial food chains. Just a human hang up. No surprise. You have a lot of hang ups.

Lion is supposed to be good, be it the North American or the African version. No surprise wolves are.
Posted By: 99guy Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
The dude ate a woof.

grin

Holy crap!

Did you eat his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti?

crazy

Posted By: ChipM Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Good for you. I would not have thought trying it but hell when I was a kid, my father was a firm believer that if you kill it, you eat it..thats how I started eating squirrels
Posted By: rl11 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
That's interesting. Honestly wouldn't even think of it, and I enjoy both lion and bear.
Posted By: CWD Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Good on you!!! Makes sense that it tasted good.
Posted By: DeerTracker Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
My guess is it would taste like elk. After all, you are what you eat...
Posted By: tikkanut Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Congrats on the wolf kill !!!!!

Now if you guys in MT would kill 1000 more or so...

As far as grilling him....I'll pass..... confused
Posted By: T_Inman Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Originally Posted by BrentD
We seem to focus on eating herbivorous mammals but never herbivorous fish. We eat from the top of the aquatic food chain but almost never in terrestrial food chains.

Brent and I actually have a common thought. Who knew? I've contemplated for years as to why we don't eat land predators but pike and bass are so damn good. Carp are bad (except to Asians) and they are generally not considered meat eaters.

On topic, its great that you were willing to try it, but I had to skin the one I shot from upwind. No way in hell I was going to try to eat it. I've had to do the same with elk though.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
That's the balls (as we say here in Boston)!

I think you make honorary Korean with that, easy.

smile
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
You ain't related to ol' Liver Eatin' Johnson, are ya?

Good on ya! That's the way to go, defeat your enemy and then eat 'em.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
I think the whole hang up is the relation between man and dog and the wolf being so closely related and resembling a dog. If you get past that and just generalize it as another big game animal that is a predator, much like a bear, it makes perfect sense to eat it. Meat is meat as long is it is a healthy animal and it's diet is a quality one why not?
Posted By: ryoushi Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Good on 'ya! Congrats on the wolf and the meal!
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Another bit of information to file for later use.
Wolf meat is pretty good! Who knew.
Maybe that is why Wolf brand chili is the best canned chili brand around.
Posted By: bea175 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
I don't know how it taste but it sure looks good. If i had been there i would have tried a plate also.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
When my wife and I visited my nephew in Oregon a few years back, the first evening meal we had together was mountain lion. I swalled deeply at the thought, but when I tasted it I was simply amazed. It also was great. I never in my life thought I would eat cat. I applaude him for eating wolf meat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile smile cool cool
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Originally Posted by waterrat

Tastes just like puss-ee I'll bet! grin As does mountain lion . . .
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by waterrat

Tastes just like puss-ee I'll bet! grin As does mountain lion . . .

No, there's no fish taste whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin
Posted By: Bambistew Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Donkey buttholes might be the best tasting thing on earth, but I'm not going to eat one. laugh
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
imagine what that member Brent will say, lol.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Originally Posted by JCS271
I am writing this about 12hrs after dinner last night. It will soon be time to take a quick walk in the woods and return the old boy to the earth from which he came, just as I am sure he would have done for me had our encounter on that day ended differently.

I love this part. Very fitting, I think. smile
Posted By: efw Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Thanks for the tip! Good on you... eating a predator has to put you at the pinnacle of the food chain! Sweet!
Posted By: BrentD Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
Originally Posted by TooDogs
imagine what that member Brent will say, lol.

Hey Lame dog, go back and read what I said. Are you always this moronic?
Posted By: vapodog Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/04/11
I ate my Wolf!

And I've eaten mountain lion.....it was great.....but you can have my wolf as I'm getting more fussy all the time in my old age!
Posted By: headwatermike Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/05/11
Is trichnosis a concern? I don't know anything about it, but judging from the post on bear meat I would look into it.

Great job on the wolf. I missed one this season and am sick about it. "Mine" had mange. Yuck!
Posted By: djb Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/05/11
Originally Posted by headwatermike
Is trichnosis a concern? I don't know anything about it, but judging from the post on bear meat I would look into it.

Great job on the wolf. I missed one this season and am sick about it. "Mine" had mange. Yuck!

I was thinking the the same thing. The meat appeared to be cooked as I like it....rare. Although, now we seem to worry way too much about some things. I still like my fired eggs runny, which is akin to smoking cigs these days crazy
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/05/11
No wolves for me as long as cows, pigs, deer, fish, ducks, chickens and rocks are still around.

Like eating a dog..

To each his own though. smile
Posted By: ironeagle_84 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/06/11
Awesome.
Posted By: Firemann Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/06/11
Mountain lion has fantastic flavor, wolf should be just as good. Nice pic's of the grilled meat.
Posted By: Fraser Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/06/11
You should try making Chinese with your next wolf. You could "Wok the dog"

Humour aside, when it comes to unorthodox meats, I've tried groundhog and porcupine and found both to be good. Similarly, my cousin has tried lynx and liked it a lot. You never know until you try it.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/07/11
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
That's the balls (as we say here in Boston)!

I think you make honorary Korean with that, easy.

smile
maybe even Philippino.
Posted By: Lockhart Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/07/11
Great story. Wolf would have surely done the same given the chance.
Posted By: Savage_Hunter Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/08/11
I've eaten dog at Korean restaraunts in china on a few occasions. it always tasted very good.
I'm a missions minister and been to china about 15 times.
Posted By: Mississippi Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/09/11
Eating wolf; I can not wait to grill mine!!!!! Just have to shoot one first! I missed a shot on a running wolf on my Dall hunt this year!
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/10/11
Did it taste sorta like elk? Just sayin...........
Posted By: Irving_D Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/10/11
Sign me up!!! That's awesome good on you
Posted By: BCBrian Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/10/11
Good for you!

Why not?

Wolf, dog - all the same. The Chinese have known how good they tasted forever. Other cultures around the world too.

If you ever get asked by one if he want's to "Wok your dog" - think about it for awhile. grin
Posted By: castnblast Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/10/11
I'd eat a wolf too, but I never, ever, want to be that hungry!!
Posted By: las Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/11/11
Originally Posted by brinky72
I think the whole hang up is the relation between man and dog and the wolf being so closely related and resembling a dog. If you get past that and just generalize it as another big game animal that is a predator, much like a bear, it makes perfect sense to eat it. Meat is meat as long is it is a healthy animal and it's diet is a quality one why not?

Exactly why I am going to wait 10 minutes before walking up on the next (2nd) wolf I shoot. The gurgling and twitching, and "green fire dying in it's eyes" kinda got to me on the first one. Too much doggish, and I've killed several of those, including one of my own Labs. No longer bothers me that much on herbivores... a finishing shot to the base of the head pretty much ends it all right there.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/11/11
The OP could do a seminar at the next PETA Convention! laugh
Heck in Korea dog is a delicacy!!!
Posted By: Ironworker Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/11/11
What caliber rifle ? Did bullet exit ?
Posted By: yukonal Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/12/11
Originally Posted by JCS271
I am writing this about 12hrs after dinner last night. It will soon be time to take a quick walk in the woods and return the old boy to the earth from which he came, just as I am sure he would have done for me had our encounter on that day ended differently.

grin
laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: 444Matt Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/13/11
Good for you. Loved your write up on the hunt as well.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/14/11
Many years ago when I was trapping regularly I was skinning out a few bobcats. The meat was so pretty and looked much like pork. Got to wondering how it would taste. My father, who was there at the time, said he'd always read where the "mountain men" considered cougar to be a prefered meat.

Bobcat....cougar.....how different could it be. We cut out the backstraps and harvested the hams and threw them on the grill. Turns out it was GREAT. Very mild and flavorful when grilled or fried.

My father said his only problem was picturing a big tom cat sitting on the back fense when eating (which, by the way, I've discovered since is not to bad on the gril either). I've always wanted to try dog (or wolf). Probably did in Mexico, but not positive. Always thought that if so many cultures around the world consider dog to be a "delicacy".....how bad can it be??
Posted By: aceman2101 Re: I ate my Wolf! - 11/14/11
congrats on getting a wolf. In alot of different countries around the world dog meat is considered a delicasy. I would imagine wolf cant be that much different. May have to give it a try If I get on this year.
© 24hourcampfire