Home
[Linked Image]

you may have already seen this, but holy s$it this is a big wolf.
I think it's mostly wide angle lens and a very tiny guy sitting well behind.
Im not so sure. he doesnt appear to be sitting that far behind. I agree with you however, the guy is a little guy or that is one big wolf
I believe he's 'long-arming'....
Who cares??? Its a dead wuff....a GOOD thing in Montana!

should make a nice rug too...
Looks like he killed the BIG BAD WOLF cool

Looks like a big dog..

Is that one of those big coyote? I think it is a big coyote.

You can shoot all the coyotes you want.

<g>
I ain't ever seen a wolf. Just really big coyotes... Good on him. There are two black wolves running around a few miles east of Choteau. Going to go look for them this weekend.
A few years back I was hunting just east of the Sabine River. Saw a large grayish white animal moving through a thicket. I first thought it was a small horse due to size. It stepped out about fifty yards away and we stared at each other eye to eye for about ten seconds. Definately a canine. Wolf? I don't know but it sure wasn't a house dog.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Looks like a big dog..

Is that one of those big coyote? I think it is a big coyote.

You can shoot all the coyotes you want.

<g>

+100
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
I ain't ever seen a wolf. Just really big coyotes... Good on him. There are two black wolves coyotes running around a few miles east of Choteau. Going to go look for them this weekend.

Fixed it for ya...
Beautiful trophy!
Great Trophy,

Think size is normal for an adult wolfie though.
Originally Posted by tangozulu
Great Trophy,

+1. Congrats to the hunter.
Originally Posted by tangozulu
Think size is normal for an adult wolfie though.

I'm certain the wolf is normal size, just not as big as the perspective indicates. Cool, nonetheless!
X2
270 lb woof! smile
It doesn't look like the guy is short, long arming, or set back. The wolf just looks big. Look at the size of the paws. I'm not sure what it weighs but looks as big as a bull mastiff with a lot more hair
Originally Posted by websterparish47
A few years back I was hunting just east of the Sabine River. Saw a large grayish white animal moving through a thicket. I first thought it was a small horse due to size. It stepped out about fifty yards away and we stared at each other eye to eye for about ten seconds. Definately a canine. Wolf? I don't know but it sure wasn't a house dog.

Darn near 100% sure way to tell the diff between a wolf and coyote is to look at the tail when it runs. A wolf's tail will be straight up, where a coyote's tail will be straight out.

Nice doggie killed regardless. Good on the hunter. I suspect maybe it was in Idaho due to the lack of hunter orange though I have been known to take my orange off for pics.
Originally Posted by aceman2101
[Linked Image]

you may have already seen this, but holy s$it this is a big wolf.
Hmmm...looks exactly like the one shown on the Idaho State Wolf website!

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/wildlife/wolves/
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Originally Posted by websterparish47

Darn near 100% sure way to tell the diff between a wolf and coyote is to look at the tail when it runs. A wolf's tail will be straight up, where a coyote's tail will be straight out.

Nice doggie killed regardless. Good on the hunter. I suspect maybe it was in Idaho due to the lack of hunter orange though I have been known to take my orange off for pics.

Nine Mile. Pretty sure I heard it was right around 100 pounds. Pretty average sized.
Yep rl11, Idaho website says average male gray wolf runs 70-110 lbs. Big dog.
I don't know?...I got the same pic from my friend that lives in huson. He told me it was shot in the mountains we was in behind his gmaws house. That's in plane or plain??? All we saw was sheep that day no wolfs. The way I understood him he's friends with the guy?....I've been know to get confused before too....grin. Here's the pic I got same/same.
[Linked Image]
Looks to me like the camera was next to the ground when taking the shot. Look at the dog's hind legs and the angle. I've taken some pics of deer and such in that manner and the perspective makes the deer look huge compared to me though I was right up next to the animal. Camera angles do weird things.

The wolf I killed in 09 is sitting at #31 SCI and looks smaller than the one posted here. He was a guesstimated 120-140 pounds. The rumors of 200 lb dogs running around in MT make me laugh.

Regardless the hunter above has succeeded with the ultimate trophy and envy of MT hunters. Good for him.
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I don't know?...I got the same pic from my friend that lives in huson. He told me it was shot in the mountains we was in behind his gmaws house. That's in plane or plain??? All we saw was sheep that day no wolfs. The way I understood him he's friends with the guy?....I've been know to get confused before too....grin. Here's the pic I got same/same.
[Linked Image]

Huson is at the base of the valley where this guy was supposed to be shot.
Nice!
Photoshop for sure. Definitely a dead wolf, but this will be proven to be a doctored pic. I've seen a lot of dead ones, and they aren't that F'ing big.
I was wondering about that. Look at the sun on the guy's face and the way his hat brim casts a shadow--no similar shadow underneath the wolf's nose. Then again, maybe there is a shadow and you just can't see it on the fur.
Originally Posted by 1minute

No I think its just a very big dead wolf....

kill all them SOB's........
Love dead wolf photos.
Not taking anything away from the hunter but DEFINATELY camera angle enhanced.
I'd bet my life on it.

Looks like a female or young male.
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by 1minute

No I think its just a very big dead wolf....

kill all them SOB's........

A wolf head as wide as the fellow's chest?

Nah.
From an article in the Missoulian today:

Bradley said despite some viral Internet photos of hunters posing with apparently huge wolf carcasses, Montana wolves inspected this year have remained in the 80- to 120-pound range. The average wolf recorded in Idaho was 105 pounds.

"The animals are really furred up at this time of year, which makes them look bigger," Bradley said. "It's easy to overestimate weight in a photo. There's breeds of domestic dogs that get larger."

Montana hunters must report their kills within 12 hours and present the head and pelt of any legally killed wolf to FWP officials within 10 days if they wish to keep the parts. Of the 105 wolves killed to date, biologists have been able to weigh complete carcasses of 19. They've recorded an average weight this year of 88.9 pounds, with the largest weighing 115 pounds. Only five wolves checked have weighed 100 pounds or more.

Originally Posted by DeerTracker
I ain't ever seen a wolf. Just really big coyotes... Good on him. There are two black wolves running around a few miles east of Choteau. Going to go look for them this weekend.
We want pics wink
Lots of outfitters have mastered the art of a photo from 3 ft away and the subsequent optical 'enhancement'.
Take a look at Double Eagle Outfitters.com, wolf pics. There are several there of various sizes and both colors. One is pretty large, I guess the Alpha Male of a pack.
I'm with the "heavy coat" theory and one less is a good thing clan. Nice critter, it would make a nice hat or two. At any rate that looks like a few seasons worth of elk and deer.
no photo shop there fellas. That wolf was shot in the upper 9-mile valley west of missoula. I went to highschool with the guy in the photo. He lives in the lower end of the valley. And yeah, the angle of the photo helps a lot!

The tail is running down along the leg, that makes his rear look bigger.

No Diss, nice looking wolf.
I've done business with a lot of wolves and that looks like a dandy!!!! Congratulations!!!!
I've seen them 125 pounds, they are impressive critters.
© 24hourcampfire