Home
Posted By: tjm10025 Winter field boots - 12/18/11

What do folks like in an insulated field boot?

Indiana winters. Slow woods walking. Some sitting.

Hiking boots with wool socks aren't cutting it below 30 degrees anymore.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Winter field boots - 12/18/11
I'm going to try out some schnee's. Those seem to have a good rep.
Posted By: pointer Re: Winter field boots - 12/18/11
I haven't had any trouble with my Lacrosse Alpha Burly Uninsulated.

I would also look at some hunting/hiking boots with 600+ grams of insulation. Any moving at all and those should be fine for IN winters, especially since your not in the Lake Effect part of the state.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Winter field boots - 12/18/11
The black GI Mickey Mouse boots are probably your best bet.
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Winter field boots - 12/18/11
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Sounds like Schnees would be the ticket.
They are very warm, very quiet, and have adequate support with great traction.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Winter field boots - 12/19/11
I've got a pair of Carolinas (600 gram) and pair from Cabelas (400 gram) that work well for me in Pa. I've got some 200 gram Cabela boots that I wear if I'm going to be moving nearly all the time. My feet get too warm pretty easily and then sweat so I don't go more than 600 grams.

The above mentioned 400 gram boots were hand-me-ups from my son, we replaced them with a larger pair from Cabelas. I can't recall if they are 400 or 600 but he is happy with them.

Dale
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Winter field boots - 12/20/11
Originally Posted by KCBighorn

Sounds like Schnees would be the ticket.
They are very warm, very quiet, and have adequate support with great traction.

+1, I would buy a roomy pair the Hunter II's. I wear mine all the time and depending on your sock(s) they good from -20F to 40F provided you are moving. -20F and sitting very long will not work though.

Ideal for temps around zero and slow hunting/walking. Easy boots to work in all day also, very comfortable for a pac boot.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Winter field boots - 12/20/11
Hoffman's are also a great choice and made in Idaho. Great price too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sabot Re: Winter field boots - 12/20/11
ive got a pair of lacrosses that looks like the hoffmans,they kept my feet warm at -30 feeding cows when i lived down by burns
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Winter field boots - 12/22/11
Originally Posted by high_country_
Hoffman's are also a great choice and made in Idaho. Great price too.

[Linked Image]

I use the same Hoffman's and they are great. If I'm going to just sit in a stand I wear my big pac boots. If I plan on doing much walking, the Hoffman's get the nod.
Posted By: Penguin Re: Winter field boots - 12/22/11
In fairly flat territory with little in the way of sidehilling or extremely rocky trails in the mix I would probably opt for a regular hunting boot and not one of the stiffer backpacking type boots. Not that they aren't good, they are, but for myself I have found that a regular hunting boot wears more comfortably with regular hilly woods walking and hunting.

I have a tall/wide high volume foot. Lowa has a last (the extra wide last) that matches my foot pretty well and I like the pair I own. But Irish Setter also has a last that matches my foot very well and unless I have a very specific reason for needing the Lowas I hunt in the Irish Setters.

I recommend the Black Bear. It has good traction and if you need a more aggressive tread then I'd say go with the Elk Tracker. 400 gram thinsulate ought to do nicely in your situation.

Will
Posted By: logcutter Re: Winter field boots - 12/22/11
I guess I am old school.I wear nothing but Sorels in the winter.I have worn them in waist deep snow working(with gators)/snowmobiling and fishing in sub zero temps.Supposedly good to -40 degree's..

With a good fit and modern inserts,there easy to walk in when everything is tight.I sometimes go barefoot just using the liner as socks for quick/short outings like slippers.

Jayco
Posted By: sabot Re: Winter field boots - 12/22/11
Originally Posted by logcutter
I guess I am old school.I wear nothing but Sorels in the winter.I have worn them in waist deep snow working(with gators)/snowmobiling and fishing in sub zero temps.Supposedly good to -40 degree's..

With a good fit and modern inserts,there easy to walk in when everything is tight.I sometimes go barefoot just using the liner as socks for quick/short outings like slippers.

Jayco

ive fed cows at -20 in mine and still was toasty warm.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Winter field boots - 12/23/11
Chippewa arctic 50's, or my old lacrosse pac's. They are supposedly good to minus 80. Hope I never find out.
Posted By: buckfever1 Re: Winter field boots - 01/20/12
Kenetreks are an awesome boot with insulation in the sole also, (Northerner). Check them on website. Buckfever1
Posted By: semi Re: Winter field boots - 01/21/12
For cold feet, Cabelas predator extreme. 1200 thinsulate, plus liners.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Winter field boots - 01/21/12
Schnees Hunter II's or Extreme's. Either way you won't be sorry
Posted By: Robster Re: Winter field boots - 01/21/12
Another vote for the Pac boot. I prefer my Schnee's, Kenetrek makes a great product, Hoffmans does too, as well as a few other companies
Posted By: slumlord Re: Winter field boots - 01/21/12

I use a Muck Woody Max. They are okay for long, cold sits on stand and are also very comfortable for stalking or hiking in. The ankle is well supported for rough terrain.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Winter field boots - 01/21/12
If you aren't using gaiters already you might want to try it for some added warmth. I use some cheap neoprene ones with an uninsulated boot with wool socks/liners and it's good down to the mid 20's for sitting a couple hours easy, walking it's good all day. I think the boot blanket idea is good idea for on stand also. I don't own any but have a friend that had trouble with cold feet so I gave him a set of Arctic Sheild boot blankets, no more problem for him, he loves them.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Winter field boots - 01/21/12
Originally Posted by sabot
Originally Posted by logcutter

Jayco

ive fed cows at -20 in mine and still was toasty warm.

Sorels are what work in the Northeast. Leather bottom boots might be neat but are not as dry or warm as Sorels.

The rubber bottom and removable thick felt boot liner make the Sorel type boot one to have.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Winter field boots - 01/21/12
If you're not doing any climbing that needs ankle support, Muck or Bog boots are warm and very comfortable. Both brands are very similar and cost about the same.
Posted By: yoop Re: Winter field boots - 01/22/12
Kennetreks if I am moving and some discontinued chinese made Lacrosse pac boots if I am sitting.

Sometimes I have to work outside and wear steel toe boots. For a couple bucks a day the charcoal toe heaters really make a difference. I stick them to the top of my sock. Outside all day in 15 degree weather last Tuesday.
Posted By: BigSkyGuy Re: Winter field boots - 01/22/12
I recently got a pair of Danner Canadians and am pretty impressed so far. They are 600gr Thinsulate, and I've been wearing them in -20 weather with Thorlo socks with favorable impressions.

They were "right out of the box" comfortable, and by the end of day one they seemed like I had had them forever!

They seem to have plenty of support for me, and both my ankles are pretty bad from numerous sprains. I really like the bob sole versus the vibrum...I free like I could walk up a wall with them. wink

They ain't cheap, but what is these days? And they are made in the good ole' US of A!

Todd
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Winter field boots - 01/23/12
For snow and cold, I like the Sorel Mavericks. Pretty inexpensive, warm, good traction. They are fairly tall as well, helps keep your leg warm!

Down side is not a lot of support. Fine for most stuff though.
© 24hourcampfire