Home
Let me have your opinion.
In june I am hunting free range axis deer and blackbuck in texas, and then in october, I am hunting for the smaller whitetail found in south florida. They go about 125 pds live wieght.
Thanks,
W.:)
My pardners Grandaughter just shot a real nice blackbuck using a 243.I think a 243,25-06 or the like would be perfect for both of them and GOOD LUCK.
With that menu, I can't think of any light recoiling cartridge that won't serve you well with a good bullet. My personal preference are the 260/6.5x55 and 7mm-08.
.250 Savage would be all you'd need or want, but a .243 is easier to find and buy.
Sounds like the perfect task for a good .243
Originally Posted by tdn
Sounds like the perfect task for a good .243

With a good bullet...grin.

Axis on the menu mean you may bust something between 250-300lbs.

243 with an 85 TSX through both shoulders...

[Linked Image]

DJ

243 with an 85 TSX through both shoulders...

[Linked Image]

DJ

Perfecto! Nice buck!
6.5x55 wink GRF
Originally Posted by DJTex

[Linked Image]

DJ

I know I've told you this before, but you suck.....
Thank you, sir!

Hard to believe he showed up free range, low fence, while the boys and I were dove hunting, no less!

I've told the story of how we spotted them way off and managed to intercept the whole bunch at a waterhole often enough, I guess...

The boys were suitably tickled. I've got a few adventures with them from this season I need to get posted when I can get time, but for now...

[Linked Image]

Here's another little example of what a 243 can do in the hands of a man (ok - boy...grin.) who knows how to use it!

[Linked Image]

DJ

Yep, .243
Originally Posted by ingwe

I know I've told you this before, but you suck.....

+1

That right there is a BEAUTIFUL animal!
Thanks, guys.

I'm sure tickled with him.

I am really glad I had the 243 "truck gun" stoked with TSX's that day.

Axis are cool animals.

DJ
DJTex,
Man! Axis don't get any nicer. Was he 37+"? 14+" brow tines?
I'll have to double check, but I don't think he was that long - maybe 33 or 34?

He did have some long brows or cottles or whatever they're called on these critters. His mass is one of my favorite things about him, as well.

I can't see how Axis bucks get much prettier, but I'm no expert on them.

Sure glad I happened to be at the right place at the right time on him.

DJ
Something like a .243 should work just fine, you don't really need anything as powerful as a .270win.

I shot my Axis with a 10mm Glock, also a free range low fence target of opportunity.

[Linked Image]
If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with! grin
Id say 25-06 would be perfect but you can never go wrong with a plain ol 270win.
A 223 or 22-250 with the right bullets would work fine...
.220 Extemeist. Barnes 53 grain at 4,020 feet per second from 26" barrel.
243 is plenty
.250 Savage or .257 Roberts.
Axis can weigh over 200#, and they are tremendous athletes. I'd personally recommend something a little bigger than a .243.
6.5x55
.257 sounds abour perfect to me.
Since axis are included, might as well throw in big whitetails. grin I like a handloaded 257Roberts or a 25/06 with good 120gr bullets.

Why not a .257 Weatherby?

I kind of like this caliber.
.257 Wby is a fantastic cartridge, but the more I use my .260, the more I like it. Either would be awesome.

John
Originally Posted by LBP
A 223 or 22-250 with the right bullets would work fine...

That's the way I'd lean, 243 would be good as well.

Not much to them, the blackbuck that Paul shows in pics from time to time I think with his son is another awesome pic along with DJ's.

Dober
Originally Posted by woodsie
Let me have your opinion.
In june I am hunting free range axis deer and blackbuck in texas, and then in october, I am hunting for the smaller whitetail found in south florida. They go about 125 pds live wieght.
Thanks,
W.:)

Woodsie,

It has been my experience that a 7mm-08.............

[Linked Image]
in a bolt gun,

[Linked Image]
how sweet it is with a 140 gr. Accubond or TSX at a muzzle velocity around 2800 fps........

when it comes to.............

[Linked Image]
Axis

[Linked Image]
Black buck

[Linked Image]
Javelina

[Linked Image]
Porkers.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/292.jpg[/img]
and whitetail deer

Best

GWB

If it were me I would pick up a 25-06.
Only shot whitetails here but I would be using my 223 or 223 AI.

That's what ill be using when i go on an axis hunt and hopefully a few javelinas.
Ok, let's see. Pick from these three. .257 Roberts, 7mm/08, or .30 WCF.
One 223 experience with Axis comes to mind.

We were hunting on a friends place with a bunch of Axis when my little daughter who was 8 at the time shot a big axis doe with a 60 grain Partition out of a 223. It was a pretty close shot, and the old girl tore out of there favoring a shoulder, but I honestly can't swear as to where she was hit because we never found her in the super thick South Texas brush where she was shot.

I am almost positive there was no exit, because we found very little blood which became no blood. I tracked her a long ways after she quit bleeding, and her track was pretty recognizable as she was favoring a front leg enough to leave a funny track on it. I jumped her once, but never saw her through the brush, but lost her track after that.

It may have been a poor hit, but if it was it was the only one of her career of killing quite a few critters. This is the only one out of 12 or 15 deer that she has shot at that we haven't found, and it was an easier shot than most she has taken. I suspect she just caught one lung and didn't get an exit, since the shot was at a pretty hard quartering angle toward us.

Because I'm pretty confident she hit her pretty good and probably killed her, I'd suggest going with a pretty stout bullet on Axis if a 223 is the choice. I think it would be Barnes or bust for me with a 223.

The next year, she stepped up to a 243 with an 80g TTSX and got a chance at another Axis doe. She shot her at about 80 yards quartering to us. In at the point of the shoulder and out behind the off shoulder. She ran around 100 yards or a bit more, but left a great blood trail both on the ground and all over cactus and mesquite, and we found her easily.

[Linked Image]

This one shows the entry wound...

[Linked Image]

Here's what we found when we opened her up. Blew some lung through the exit hole.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pretty well souped the vitals...This is the entry side.

[Linked Image]

Entry on the left, exit on the right.

[Linked Image]

Anyhow...I'd sure use a good bullet on an Axis, especially with a 223. Even a Partition in a 223 might not be quite enough. Not dead sure of it, but I sure think my sample of one with a 223 60 Partition resulted in a yummy Axis in a coyote's belly instead of mine.

DJ
I tend to agree with DJ on the 223. From what we have seen axis tend to be a little tougher than the whitetails. They are normally larger and their hides are thicker. My personal opinion is the .243 is the starting point if you plan to take anything other than pure broadside shoots. Don't get me wrong I shoot deer and LOTS of feral hogs with my 223 and I would use it on an Axis if I was carrying it. If I was going on a hunt where Axis was the dedicated game I'd pull out something .243 or larger. I really like my .270 on axis

Just my personal opinion

[Linked Image]
Hard to argue with the 270 on Axis...

A picture is worth a thousand words, and I like that one!

DJ
Perfect cailber is .284 or .308
Perfect cartridge is 280 Remington or 308 Winchester
Axis are a bit tougher to kill than a standard deer. By that I mean they are more like AFrican in the way that they hang on longer after the shot etc....

After a number of years guiding for them, the only comments I can give are wish I had acess to shoot a doe axis every year for the superb meat.

And that you need to use a decent non frangible bullet, the hide is a bit thick on large ones. Make sure shot placement is perfect as with all animals and don't expect to see bang flops that often at all unless you CNS them.

Definitely tougher than whitetail.

Doesn't mean I'd get all goofy over caliber though, I'd tackle em with anything I had, including a 22 mag, but just knowingly of limitations.
Originally Posted by rost495
Axis are a bit tougher to kill than a standard deer. By that I mean they are more like AFrican in the way that they hang on longer after the shot etc....

Definitely tougher than whitetail.

Indeed they are quite tenacious when you put a bullet in them. I have seen many lost Axis that were shot with a 6mm, 243, 25-06 & 270's. Are 270's capable? You bet your boots they are. If you are going to chase Axis you need to hone your bullet placement skills and don't take marginal shots.
This is all consistent with my experience with all of them I've shot.

The big buck I shot went nearly 100 yards with one shoulder shattered and a punch through the other from an 85 TSX - a shot that has dropped lots of whitetails with CNS shock. I hit him pretty well dead center of the shoulders.

The doe we lost was hit pretty well, IMO, but I think she may have caught one lung. It's possible it didn't fully penetrate the onside shoulder, but I doubt it. It's also possible the angle got us, but she was definitely hit in the near shoulder and was clearly favoring it when she ran. Bottom line, I don't think the little 60 Partition out of the 223 was up to the job.

If we had used a bullet that performed like the 80 TTSX used on the second doe, I am very confident we would have found her - both from better penetration and damage to the Axis, and from a much better blood trail.

Axis bucks are built kind of like a yearling steer, and can push 300lbs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

DJ
As far as it goes,

[Linked Image]

a 325 WSM loaded around 2800 fps with Nosler ballistic tips works well on Axis. Kills them dead and at that velocity, very little meat damage.

GWB
You like that 325 WSM, huh?
Originally Posted by Reloder28
You like that 325 WSM, huh?

Yup, it killed pretty good.

But I like this one better.........

[Linked Image]

And it works great on hill country "hoglets"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

thinkin' about makin' it my designated porker popper. grin

GWB

One shot to the neck from my 30-06 took care of this one.

[Linked Image]
not to sound too old fashion but what about a .270
Originally Posted by DJTex
One 223 experience with Axis comes to mind...

DJTex,

Excellent story, pics, and post in general. That experience mirrors mine, not in caliber, but in concept.

Hitting a deer on the point of the shoulder at a hard quartering-to angle is the toughest placement on the animal IME (I don't shoot them up the butt so cannot comment on that). In order to reach vital organs the bullet has to penetrate heavy hide, a lot of heavy muscle, the shoulder bone, and the ribcage. And if you want any blood trail at all, it has to do it again on the other side to exit the animal, at least through ribcage and hide. It takes a tough bullet to do that. I know because I have seen failures to penetrate from several popular cartridge/bullet combinations, including 257/120, 270/130, 270/150, 7mm/145, 308/165, 30-06/165, and 35 Whelen/200. Any one of those combinations would kill any deer that ever walked if the bullet is placed behind the shoulder in the ribcage of a deer standing broadside, but put all that hard flesh and bone in the way and the equation changes a lot.
30-30 is always a good choice for the patient & careful hunter.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]
Like the others, I chose a .270 with 130's for axis. Recoil is light enough my wife has taken ownership of the rifle.
Black buck and small whitetail I choose the .243.
But the axis DJ killed with a .243 is the trophy of a lifetime on low fence!

jcc
© 24hourcampfire