Home

Need a new pair. I've had bad luck with rubber hunting boots that fit OK, but tore my feet up with any meaningful walking through wet, boggy terrain. (Indiana muck.)

These are what hunters use around here. Questions of fit aside, has anybody noticed whether one manufacturer makes an easier-walking boot than another?

- Tom
Muck Boots easy to walk in come off easy and make quite a few different temp ratings.
I've probably had 6-8 pairs of the Lacrosse Burlys with the airgrip sole over the years. They fit me well so I keep buying them.
I'm happy with my Lacrosse Alpha Burly lites. You've seen them! wink Never had a problem with blisters or soreness. One feature I really like on them is the side zip making them easier to get on/off.
I'm liking the Irish Setter Rutmaster. I've put about about 200km (120 miles) on them, so far, and they're holding up great. Several 20-30km (12-20 miles) days in them, and my feet were warm, dry, and comfortable. I use merino wool socks, and the Rutmaster has an effective ankle support system, so my feet never complain.
Lacrosse Alphaburly's for me. If there's a better one for walking, (particularly the uninsulated) I've not found it and I've tried just about every make imaginable.
I'll have to give that one a try one of these days, Scott wink
Why, yes I have!

I drove up to Mississinewa on Monday to familiarize myself with some of the access roads and sections preparatory to scouting on foot.

Damn, that's some soggy ground.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I'm a gear hound - you know that! grin
Originally Posted by SKane
Lacrosse Alphaburly's for me. If there's a better one for walking, (particularly the uninsulated) I've not found it and I've tried just about every make imaginable.
These are my most favorite....
As a matter of fact I wear them (uninsulated ones) even if its freezing out, I simply put on heavier socks and wear my Arctic Shield booties.
Love em.
I have enjoyed my Mucks but only used them 1/2 of the deer season.
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I'm a gear hound - you know that! grin

You should give the 800g Irish Setter Rutmasters a shot, and see how they compare. Mine have worked out really well for me, so far.
There aren't too many things the French have that I would recommend but the best Rubber boot in my opinion is without a doubt or a peer La Chameau.
I've been very happy with my Under Armor's. Never had a complaint with my Lacrosse Alpha Burly's but these were a gift and so far they've been perfect
+1 on the Muck's and Lacrosse. Have used both alot and the work very well.

GK
Muck or Bog boots (they're very similar) are great under the right conditions. They fit too loose for heavy climbing or sticky mud. They don't have the ankle support and they'll pull off easily in the goo. Otherwise, they're very comfortable and easy on the feet.

MontanaCreekHunter:

La Chameau looks interesting. Does their size conversion chart seem accurate to you?

- Tom
Originally Posted by Shortmag

GK

this
My problem with most Muck and Bog boots, is the unprotected neoprene upper. I tore the upper on a boot while working through some knarly brush, after a twig caught the upper on the boot. I went back and exchanged those boots for a pair of the Irish Setters. I chose those boots simply because the entire boot is rubber-coated neoprene, as opposed to the Muck/Bog-style boots that have rubber on the lower portion, but exposed neoprene on the upper.

The Irish Setters have proven to be immeasurably more tough than the Bogs.
If it isn't going to be cold, I use Xtratufs, which I've owned since my first fishing trip to Alaska, and have put up to 20 miles on them in a day hunting elk and turkeys in the wet, plus walking in wet snow when it is above zero. I always put insoles in them. Without long underwear(sorry, base layers), the 16 inchers rub my calves, so I use the 12 inchers.
I tried a pair of LaCrosse boots one turkey season while hunting alone, and my feet sweat and swelled enough during the day that I couldn't get the boots off. I finally sliced them down the side with a knife and burned them in the campfire. Tight at the ankle is good for walking, but has its drawbacks.

DrHJH:

Do you see Alaskans using the Xtratufs, or did you take them with you?

Also, are the sizes accurate in your experience?

- Tom
I wear Xtra-Tuffs for moose hunting & they work fine - NOT steel toe though. Used 'em on Afognak Island in Oct. on our elk hunts too. The way to do it is to use a felt inner sole (NOT felt liner) and an arch support. I wear 2 pairs of socks - 1 light & 1 heavy. and you want a snug fit with everything in place. Granted, in warmer weather your feet will sweat but you remove the felt sole each night to dry out and use one of your spare sets of felt soles for the next day. In use, I have my pants legs inside the boot - you want a snug fit around your foot and around your calf. Many rubber boots I see seem to be rather large in diameter at the top. If so, you could have problems with your socks not staying around your calf - that really sucks if ya gotta do much walking.
I'll even wear the Xtra-Tuffs when running my sled dog with the 4-wheeler at this time of year. My feet don't get cold with them.
Bear in Fairbanks
La Chameau's seem to run right as I am a size 14 and have no problem with them other then I have very large calves and it is very tight zipping them but once they are zipped up they are ok.

Xtra-Tuffs are great for a cheap boot, but the problem I have with them is that they just don't fit right. They were designed and made to slip on and off so that is the fit you are stuck with. For some applications that is fine. I would never wear them all day bird hunting like I do my La Chameau's. When I was younger I use to hike all over the Juneau Trail systems in Xtra-Tuffs. They got the job done. Later in life I found the La Chameau's and now would never subject myself to wearing Xtra-Tuffs to hike around in.

I still wear Xtra-tuffs to shoval snow in, run to the store in, wear the looser fit isn't a big deal.

MCH:

What model La Chameau do you favor?
I use muck boots on the farm and for hunting and couldn't be happier.
I have only used the Chasseur. Well worth the money.
Checkout Kevin's Catolog I have seen them there on sale a few times.
Originally Posted by Shortmag

GK

I use Mucks for the farm, sometimes 10 hours a day.
I still prefer Lacrosse for tundra type terrain. They hug the ankles a little more than Mucks.
© 24hourcampfire