Home
Hey guys, I've been offered a job in Greenville TX, but dont know anything about the area. Does anyone know anything about hunting in that area? Not looking for any honeyholes, just soome good info on what's around there as far as species, populations, etc.

Thanks-Tim
Drove through it in February grin on my way further south east. Good luck in your new position!
From everything I've heard and read, hunting in Texas is for the wealthy, like in Europe. It's stupid that there is so much land down there and people can't hunt on it without paying a huge fee. I will never hunt there. I had a job offer there too but turned it down, partly because of the hunting (or lack thereof).
I live in the Greenville area. Hunting in the near vicinity consist of deer, squirrel, dove, duck, hogs, and varmints. There is public hunting just to the north and more southeast, over 1 million acres of public hunting land in Texas. With that said the best hunting is on private property. Most people who don't own property lease hunting rights. It can be expensive depending where in Texas you want to hunt. Also tons of game ranches if you like. For anybody who thinks Texas is anything like Europe then they must of never spent any time here. I don't know of anybody you wishes to hunt that doesn't. Your best bet is networking at work with like minded people. Unlike some northern states we have jobs here.
Touche.
I have friends and relatives in Texas. Can hunt there whenever I like. And they are welcome here whenever they want to come. Some of those friends I even met here wink
Thanks guys! My main concern is the waterfowl hunting, I figured there would be decent deer and hog hunting. Nice to know there are turkey too! Should be finding out for sure in the next week or 2 then I go down for an interview. Wish me luck lol
Good luck, is this L3 by chance?
You'd be within 3 hours of a lot of NF land and a bit further to the densest population of Whitetails on Earth.

It ain't as expensive as some make it out to be. Especially those who've never done it.
They used to have a sign that said welcome to Greenville the blackest land and whitest people. It is a small town northeast of Dallas, and you will basically have the same opportunities as people of Dallas. Hill country deer north of Austin, a very dense population of small deer. Or east Texas a small population of larger deer, have seen some nice ones from a hunting club near Livingston.

great trophy deer hunting in the brush country south of San Antonio.
Of course, check out the Texas Hunting Forum for additional information as well.

Waterfowling is fine. There are ton of lakes another hour and a half east and its public.

Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
It's stupid that there is so much land down there and people can't hunt on it without paying a huge fee. I will never hunt there. I had a job offer there too but turned it down

We can pay the huge fees because we have jobs...
Originally Posted by RKrodle
Good luck, is this L3 by chance?

Yes. I'm Active Duty but have been working on the jets for 15 years here at Offutt, so I figure I'll do the same thing but down there.
Keep the info coming!! Is there a website or some place I can go to see the public land around the area?
I'm about 10 mins. from there. I get in there every once in a while to service some of their CNC machines. Good Luck, and thanks for your service.
Linky/clicky
Originally Posted by Scopolamine
Of course, check out the Texas Hunting Forum for additional information as well.

THF quite possibly has the densest population of idiots on the Innernets.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by Scopolamine

THF quite possibly has the densest population of idiots on the Innernets.

Do you mean the population is particularly dense, as far number of idiots? Or is it that the idiots themselves are more dense than the average batch of idiots? Perhaps both?

Yes, Yes & Yes
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm

Thanks!! Doesnt look like there is much around me, but its a start.
The Caddo National Grass Lands are not very far at all, less than 45 mins easy. The Grass Lands also consist off some heavily wooded ares, Cooper state park is only about 30 mins away. Cooper I believe is Bow only for deer. Both have some good duck hunting at times.
Just found out that I'll be heading down there next week for an interview/site survey, so I'll get to check it out before I accept or decline. ANything in season right now?
Hi, I live just north of Dallas, I was in Greenville back in Feb, it is a nice small type town. Most of the restaurants are just off of I30, the hotels are there also. There is a lot of Dove hunting in the area. You may find some farmers near by that will let you hunt them for a small fee. I see people hunting Dove all over and they used to hunt in the fields near my house. Over 10 years ago one of my friends brother had a hunting lease in West Texas on the way out to Lubbock Tx, it had 2 deer, 4 hogs and several Turkeys per hunter, it was about $700.00 a year. If you shop around you will find something that will work for you. And Texas has no State Income Tax. Good luck. Randy
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Really looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by tjkanavel
Just found out that I'll be heading down there next week for an interview/site survey, so I'll get to check it out before I accept or decline. ANything in season right now?

Hogs are always in season on private land, they do have a spring season I believe on public land.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have children? If so I would settle into one of the smaller towns around. I don't think very highly of Greenville schools.
We have 3, 9,7 & 1. My Wife is a school teacher so she's already been looking into them as well. If this goes well, we're looking at the Rockwall/Fate area.
Rockwall is a good area and I think you would like it a lot. If your looking for something smaller don't overlook the Caddo Mills school district.
Well we finally made it down here and all moved in. Found a house in Royse City and really like the area so far.

Thanks for all the info, now just need to go do some scouting smile

Welcome to Texas and I think you'll like it. It has it's good points and bad points like anywhere else.

You have good fishing nearby and your just on the edge of the Mallard belt, gets better the farther East you go. Almost any larger stock tank is a possibility especially if it is near a river or marsh, just takes a lot of scouting.

Now is the time to find a Dove lease if your interested. The closest deer hunting might be in Oklahoma but almost any direction you go there are good options.

Good Luck
All these deer were killed on state WMA's about 1-1/2 hours from Greenville that you can apply to hunt on with a bow/rifle each year. Also have a decent chance of hunting on a draw hunt if you just show up as a standby - especially if you bowhunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I had no idea that there were that many wealthy Europeans hunting in Texas.
© 24hourcampfire