Home
Posted By: zr800 weight of avg bear Hide - 04/14/12
What does the avg bear hide weigh just after skinning?
trying to calculate shipping or how to get it home after the Hunt. Will it fit in a 48qt cooler? Thanks.
What size bears are you hunting? Big difference between a coastal brown bear and a northern Minnesota blackie.
Posted By: zr800 Re: weight of avg bear Hide - 04/14/12
I guess that would be Helpful.
Northern Saskatchewan Black Bear. 400-500#
Thanks.
Posted By: Winnie Re: weight of avg bear Hide - 04/14/12
I would say around fifty pounds but I know nothing, it is just a shot in the dark.
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: weight of avg bear Hide - 04/14/12
It will easily fit in the cooler, even with skull and wrists/paws/claws intact...or hide and skull seperated. I would assume that the hide will be sans skull, with most of the meat fleshed off the hide? It's easy to do if you have a couple of hours to kill on the backside of the hunt.

Just a thought: I have shipped meat and hides in some of the waxed cardboard boxes many ship fish back from here. They are durable, much less expensive than coolers, and will easily pack a hide (they come in several sizes.)

Have a good trip and be safe...

bhtr
Posted By: zr800 Re: weight of avg bear Hide - 04/14/12
Thanks Bear Hunter. I hope it's a good trip, ANd I hope I don't become Bear Food.
Posted By: rufous Re: weight of avg bear Hide - 04/14/12
I think my approximate 400# black bear hide with skull still in place was about 80#.
Posted By: remfak Re: weight of avg bear Hide - 04/14/12
Based on my hunt last year with a 6.5 foot blackie I would say:

1. The hide and head will definitely fit in a 48 quart cooler.

2. I carried the hide and head out on my hunt and I would guesstimate it was in the 50 - 60 pound range.
© 24hourcampfire