Home
Posted By: MojoHand Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/24/12
Well, this one came home with me and may replace my Fox River as the ultimate do-all hunting knife.

Great design (Loveless, so, of course), great steel/tratment with convex grind. It feels very...lithe in the hand. Can't think if a better term. Very handy with enough belly and perfect amount of drop point. Really a great knife.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-98550613633937_2217_319802747

Posted By: Maarty Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/24/12
Very nice knife, I'd be happy to wear it.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/24/12
Nice clean lines. I won't do anything with fancy cutouts and such.
Posted By: jpb Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/24/12
Originally Posted by MojoHand
[Linked Image]

Sweet!

Can you tell us what model that is?

Although many here at the 'Fire worship the May and Ingram styles of knives, I do like knives with a small guard like that.

John
Posted By: las Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/24/12
An 8 foot blade on a 40 foot shaft. I mean, if I'm gonna be hunting with it....

If I'm going to be doing yeoman's dressing duty with it, my puppy-chewed Gerber Gator has been working just fine on moose, caribou, grouse, hares, fish, and bear for the last 9 years.

I'd use a flint blade if they weren't so damned hard to make and keep sharp.... smile But I'm into utility, easy maintanence.... and cheap.

That said, that's a damned fine looking knife. I'd not refuse one as a gift.

PM me if you feel like it.... my birthday is coming up. smile
Mine's coming up too grin
Originally Posted by jpb
[Linked Image]

Sweet!

Can you tell us what model that is?

Although many here at the 'Fire worship the May and Ingram styles of knives, I do like knives with a small guard like that.

John

John,

That's a Classic Drop Point Hunter. Designed by Bob Loveless and given toMike Stewart of BRKT to build. It differs in the convex grind which I like. It's the first knife I've owned with a guard but it is small and unobtrusive. I've had quite few Barkies and this may be one of the best for a hunting knife.

Chris
Posted By: jpb Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/24/12
Thanks Chris. That sure looks like a useful blade shape!

John
This one has worked for me for a lot of years:
[Linked Image]

It's processed several Buffalo:
[Linked Image]

Many ELk:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

and more Deer than I can remember.

Respects,

Richard

Posted By: Pete E Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/24/12
Originally Posted by jpb

I do like knives with a small guard like that.
John

I too prefer a small guard of some sort on a fixed blade..

While I like the overall looks of the knife shown, for a working knife thats going to get bloody, I prefer a more "grippy" hnadle..Stag or Sambar if I am concerned about looks, or one of the modern synthetics such as Thermorun or Kraton if my main concerned is functionality..

Posted By: Ready Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/24/12
This one -

[Linked Image]

It not only can, but has done it all -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Its going brook trout fishing next.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/24/12
And Im looking forward to it! grin

For nostalgic reasons as much as utilitarian, this model 7 Randall that I bought from Bo himself has been doing it for me for forty (!!!) years..

[Linked Image]

It looks good cause its on its third sheath grin
Originally Posted by cmg

Labrador??????
Posted By: Ready Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/25/12
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by cmg

Labrador??????

Ingwe -

same, same. Eating habits and all...
I saved this pic into my favorites folder some time back and think it has all that a BG knife should have and then some.
[Linked Image]

My own BG knives that I made a couple of years ago and have eaten regularly from meat they have processed.
[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.
Originally Posted by VonGruff
I saved this pic into my favorites folder some time back and think it has all that a BG knife should have and then some.
[Linked Image]

My own BG knives that I made a couple of years ago and have eaten regularly from meat they have processed.
[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

VG,

All VERY nice! More details, please!? Steel, grinds, scale material, etc. Thanks!

Chris
Originally Posted by Buckskin
[Linked Image]

Respects,

Richard

Richard, more details on that knife, please! It looks beautiful and useful. I can't quite make out the stamp on the guard and am not enough of a knive guru to recognize it. Steel, scale material, etc? Thanks!

Chris

Originally Posted by ingwe
And Im looking forward to it! grin

For nostalgic reasons as much as utilitarian, this model 7 Randall that I bought from Bo himself has been doing it for me for forty (!!!) years..

[Linked Image]

It looks good cause its on its third sheath grin

Ingwe,

When you can combine nostalgia and utility that's the best of both worlds! Happy birthday, again. Does that line above mean you're OVER 40?!?! laugh

Have a good one, sir.

Chris
Originally Posted by VonGruff
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

VG,

All VERY nice! More details, please!? Steel, grinds, scale material, etc. Thanks!

Chris

Unfortunately Chris, I dont remember the details but the damascus is some of the nicest I have seen and the shape and the skill of the maker is superb.

Von Gruff.
I've been using this BR Lil' Canadian for the last couple years. Jury's still out on it, but I think I still like the shape of the Russell better for smaller deer sized game. For larger moose or caribou the BR is fine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Reminds me of the Schrade PH2 model. Nice knife!

Sherwood
So the general consensus is that a fixed blade is the way to go?
Posted By: Ready Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/27/12
Yes.
Doesn't take more then a good pocket knife to just open an animal up. If you are doing more like quarter game then a fixed blade for sure is the way to go.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/27/12
Originally Posted by Scopolamine
So the general consensus is that a fixed blade is the way to go?

I would say so..Lots of folks use folders, but I dislike cleaning them afterwards and there is always a chance a bit of "gunk" could get in the lock and prevent the blade locking properly.

Personally, I would go for a fixed blade, with a blade between 3.5" and 4.5" long, although a bit shorter or longer will also work..
Posted By: Load Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/27/12
I switched to a fixed blade after we had 3 cows down on a wind blown rock scab a sunset. I cleaned 2 with my Kershaw black horse and my dad used it to clean the 3rd. He then skinned out 3 while my uncle and I held the legs, pulled, etc.(He's super fast and good at it so we just step back) The internals and the every nook and cranny was packed with elk gunk. I attempted to clean it 3 times back at camp. Finally put it away and did a big soak n' scrub when I got home. Hydrogen peroxide was necessary to get the tiny bits that worked their way in. Fixed blade reduces the nook and cranny factor.
IMHO a pocket or folding knife is for utility use and should be capable of dressing an animal IF the need arrises but when it is likely that a dressing job might eventuate then a fixed blade is the way to go.

Von Gruff.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/28/12
I always have a folder with me but a fixed is preferred for dressing, skinning and butchering. Like others have mentioned, gutting doesn't take much of a blade. This Chris Reeve has done the deed many times for me and is a daily carry knife.

[Linked Image]
I've been using an Old Timer folder for something like 30 years. When my Dad died in '06, I got his identical one so I have a matched pair, although mine saw a lot more use. It's been excellent except that I have big hands and the grip is too narrow for comfort. It just doesn't quite fit my hand.
Then 2 years ago my brother died and I got his plain Jane Buck 110. It's heavier but it fits my hand nicely. I've only used it on 1 deer and a couple goats that I've butchered, but it's my go to knife now.

[Linked Image]

Every hunting knife is a compromise. A real skinner has a radical curve to the blade. If you've ever used one, you'll know the advantage. They'll take off a hide in nothing flat. Nobody wants to haul around a bunch of knives in the field, but if you haul your game back to camp to skin it, try one of these sometime. You'll like it. 10,000 commercial butchers can't all be wrong.
I bought a Case skinner while taking a meats class in college 40 years ago. It was a cheapy but it's still the best knife I've ever owned for skinning.

[Linked Image]
Yes the Vic works well and is cheap. But sometimes I like class with form and function so I go with this.

[Linked Image]
Mojo, that is a hella good photo.
It isn't the Vic that makes the difference. It's the shape of the blade. I just grabbed that photo off the web as an example of what a skinner looks like. However, it's pretty worthless for field dressing other than the skinning so about no one carries one in the field.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 06/29/12
Lite-Hunter Dropped combo in S30V:

[Linked Image]
I carry a moore maker large trapper. It's got a liner lock main blade that won't fold up from gunk and a spey blade that's great for skinning. All in carbon steel. 1095 is what they are using now. I once read about a knife test that Phil Shoemaker designed to test utility of a hunting knife and it passed the various criteria.

Fred
Hello Chris:

This knife was made by Francisco Pachi & his wife. It's been quite some time since I purchased it, so I don't remember all the details, but can tell you some things I remember.

(1) The blade was done before all the new powdered metals came out, and this one is made of ATS34. I don't remember if Francisco did the heat treating himself, or sent it out to be done, but whoever did it, did it right. The blade has stayed sharp enough to process two Buffalo (completely) with just using Spyderco crock stones for touch up's. That being said, I have sharpened it numerous times over the years using the EdgePro kit. A little painters tape on the blade before sharpening keeps this one looking new, even after 25+ years of hard use.

(2) The blade finish is brushed stainless, and it too has been maintained with 600 grit. Over the years it has acquired numerous scratches, but the 600 grit emery paper rubs them right out.

(3) The scales on this knife are made of Desert Ironwood

(3) The pins & bolster were engraved & etched with gold by Francisco�s wife, (for the life of me, I can�t remember her name), she absolutely does the best work I�ve ever seen.

(5) The fancy file work was done by Francisco.

(6) The blade tip is what I call a Semi-Drop point, though I've forgotten what he called it.

I was going to order another knife by this couple, but found out they no longer make any fixed blades, or didn�t when I last contacted them. As far as I know, they are only doing folders these days.

Sorry for the delay in replying, as I didn�t even know you had questions on this one.

Respects,

Richard

Originally Posted by Buckskin
[Linked Image]

Respects,

Richard

Richard, more details on that knife, please! It looks beautiful and useful. I can't quite make out the stamp on the guard and am not enough of a knive guru to recognize it. Steel, scale material, etc? Thanks!

Chris

Posted By: keith Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 07/09/12
I have 4 of the knives made by McCroskey Custom Knives
Dave McCroskey 5220 S. Willis
Stillwater, OK 74074
1-877-256-4837

mccroskeyknives.com

I skinned 6 deer with one small "trapper" knife and it would still shave you.

A trapper skinned 320 beaver before his knife got dull.

My brother skinned and boned out 4 bull elk and his knife was not dull.

there are knives, then there are knives........Price is right on these knives also.

Dave is a very special person to deal with...you will never forget him!
This is mine for the past 10 years....perfect pack knife

[Linked Image]

This is my skinner and I have two one is always sharp

[Linked Image]

Ultra light sharpener I found a couple years back that flat works for $5

[Linked Image]

I think everybody appreciates the looks and function of a fixed blade knife while doing the actual cutting. Thing is we carry our knives a lot more than we cut with them, and a folder just disappears in pocket or pack until needed. I have several folders I really like including SOG, Gerber, Case, Timberline, and others. They are all lightweight and all with locking blades. I just hate grabbing a non-locking folder with my precious fingers and shoving it inside an animal. It's just plain dangerous!

One little knife I really like is the Gerber LST. I think it weighs about an ounce, is absolutely undetectable in the pocket, and it stays sharp enough, long enough to field dress at least two deer, and I have done three. Simply a great little knife.

Another I like is a Timberline with the Neely lock, mostly because it is unusual. When the blade opens fully it snaps about a quarter-inch into a recess molded into the handle. To fold it you pull outward on the blade and fold it. It's quite unusual and works well when not gunked up. But the easy fix for that is to clean it with warm soapy water and a toothbrush when you take your deer home or back to camp. Ain't nothin' to it.

I have fixed blades I like too but I've rambled on enough for now.
Posted By: starsky Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 07/10/12
Originally Posted by horse1
Lite-Hunter Dropped combo in S30V:

[Linked Image]

That is THE combo to have in my eyes.

For a factory knife, I can really like the Gerber Freeman Hunter.

Ultimate big game hunting knife?

That is easy. A George Herron Number Two.

Steve

Hatchet, PERIOD.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 07/11/12
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I've been using this BR Lil' Canadian for the last couple years. Jury's still out on it, but I think I still like the shape of the Russell better for smaller deer sized game. For larger moose or caribou the BR is fine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Its very hard to beat the Russel Canadian belt knife. I have a original, a KNives of a alaska version and i have another being made which will be a copy of the original in S30V. The only wart on the original is the steel leaves something to be desired.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 07/11/12
Well I Still use my Puma Duke that i have had now for close to 36 years now. I like yours a lot. I just might have to buy one. Nice to see that Achmed the dead Terrorist has made it to the fire. Jeff is a very very funny guy. Now were is Walter!
Posted By: jwall Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 07/11/12
Guys I have 3-4 that I use regularly. Only 1 that I carry on a belt. The others are either in my pack or in truck IF the truck is close.

<<I DO NO KNOW what happened to my pics, I did NOT delete them.>>

I always keep 2 handy, just in case.

I've been looking for a good skinner w/a sharp point. grin

Well, w/o the pics the post is rather limited, so I changed it.
I can't see anyone having half a clue around a knife wanting to buy that off you.
My buddies kid has one of those Colt skinners. It isn't a bad hatchet. Chops right through a breast bone.
Posted By: jwall Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 07/12/12
M C H - ever use one?

I noticed not many actual skinning blades in this thread.

I never knew how much better a skinning blade works WHEN skinning.

I have a few not hi $ hunting knives that work very well. You don't have to pay an arm/leg to get a knife that works well.

It's a good thing no one wants it. I'm keeping it. Works great for slitting HIDE & seperating skin from guts AND makes skinning so much better.

Whatever floats UR boat.

Yeah maybe one or two skinners in my herd of knives.

Have used this one a time or two.
[Linked Image]

Or maybe this one?
[Linked Image]

But this one gets used for pretty much everything, though not a skinner!
[Linked Image]

M C H - now you're talkin.

Unless I missed 1, I only notice 1 other posting Gut Hooks.

I used my 1st in 11/95 and since have added a few. The gut hook simplifies and expedites slitting the hide in the 'arm pit' of deer PLUS speeds up seperating the hide from sterum to a/hole.

I have only bought @ 3 knives since 95. All gut hook models, either on main blade or xtra g h blade.

That Rigid Bear Claw is too heavy for a belt. It never leaves my pack except for use & cleaning.

If anyone hasn't used a gut hook, it only takes using it 1 X.
Never needed a gut hook. They look hideous and clutter up a blade.

Another Favorite.
[Linked Image]

Two well used knives that have never failed me.
[Linked Image]
Never needed a gut hook. They look hideous and clutter up a blade.

Im not crazy about looks but...

looks does not clean deer. They work SOOOO well.
Nope looks don't clean deer and niether does a cluttered blade. Deer, hogs, bear, moose, elk, speedgoats, and a whole list of other game animals I have never needed a gut hook. A well made well designed knife just can't be beat. Oh and knowing how to use it doesn't hurt any either.
Well I've only been cleaning deer since '72 so..

I haven't learned how YET.
I can't think of an uglier knife then a Hartsfield, oh wait that colt with the gut hook on it never mind.

Anyways Phill's knives will never win a beauty contest, but you will be hardpressed to find a knife that will out perform it.
If you need a gut hook that is pretty obvious.
Posted By: antlers Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 07/12/12
[Linked Image]
Thats NICE! Just a touch to mirror finish for me, other then that it appears to be a winner.
What flavor steel?
If you need a gut hook that is pretty obvious.

grin grin

And the Amish still prefer a horse & carriage. laugh laugh

I like/prefer better operating equipment.

Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 07/12/12
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Ultimate big game hunting knife?

That is easy. A George Herron Number Two.

Steve

And the runner up to the George Herron #2 must be the Geno Denning #2................

[Linked Image]

It's a great design.
154 CM.
...and SS pins!
I could live with that!
I thought you'd be disappointed...I know how much you like mosaic pins!
haha right.

Send it my way I have a beadblast cabinet!
Posted By: keith Re: Ultimate BG hunting knife? - 07/13/12
I sold an entire collection of Puma's, Gerbers, Buck knives when I got my first kife from Dave McCroskey. Terrible to have been in the dark so long on quality knives. You have to be careful with the knife in the sheath, because the knife will cut through the thick leather sheath like it was a piece of notebook paper.
© 24hourcampfire