Home
Posted By: CrazyIs Hornady GMX bullet - 10/31/12
My primary big game cartridge is the .30-06 and it seems to like the Hornady factory loaded 165gr GMX bullet and I was wondering if anyone could share their hunting experience with the GMX?

I am a big fan of the TSX bullet and have taken several animals with them, so my expectations are high smile.

Thanks
I have tried that round in my custom Mauser 98 in .30/06 on the range only. The bolt had to be beaten open with the palm of my hand after firing. This load is over pressure in my rifle. Your mileage may vary.
Posted By: glenninjuneau Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 10/31/12
Buddy of mine shot a smallish black bear with 165's in a 308. In and out, dead bear, though it took two, if the first one was a little farther behind the shoulder I feel it would have just taken the one, but you never know, the first might have been all it took. Better safe then sorry, bullets are cheep compared to hospital bills.
Posted By: CRS Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 10/31/12
I have used the 130gr in my 270's. They work just fine. Recovered one that weighs 129gr. Picture perfect expansion.

I just recently picked up a 30-06, planning on using the 165gr. Unless they Do not shoot.

I have tried 139gr in my 7x57. But I cannot get them to group. I think I have a bedding issue with the mannlicher stock. Waiting until after hunting season to sort that out. Or the throat is too long. The closest I can get them is 0.45 from
the lands.

If they shoot good, I think you will good to go.
Posted By: tominboise Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/01/12
I used a 139gr factory superformance load in my 7mm Rem Mag this year on a moose here in Idaho. We estimated he weighed 6-700 pounds. It took one shot - the bullet penetrated completely and the bull died in 25 yards. I would use them again, based on my sample of one.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/01/12
Thanks for all the info folks. I too was interested as I will be working up loads for '06 this winter and want to try the Hornady version if the TSX/TTSX don't shoot well.

Geno
Posted By: old_willys Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/01/12
I have taken deer with my 300 wsm and 165 GMX's with no problems, they were running around 3150 fps.
Posted By: DJTex Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/02/12
My impression is that these like to be run like the Barnes TSX/TTSX and perform pretty similarly.

Accordingly, I have leaned toward fast and light for caliber in my limited experience with them.

An 80 GMX in 243 performed well on this nice Hill Country buck for my daughter. She punched him behind the near shoulder and through the off shoulder on a quartering away shot at over 250 yards.

Bullet exited with good, although not excessive, expansion and he ran between 50 and 100 yards before piling up.

He was a big bodied, 6.5 year old deer, but the little 80g GMX did a number on him.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In my limited experience, they have been much like TSX/TTSX - they may be just a tad softer and expand a little better at longer range, but still penetrate well as shown on the 250 plus yard shot on this buck.

DJ
Posted By: tominboise Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/02/12
Nice buck - good job by your daughter.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/02/12
Grat Hill Country buck!! Congrats to your daughter.
Posted By: CRS Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/02/12
Nice buck, I tend to agree that they are maybe a touch softer than the tSX's but have not shot enough animals or recovered enough of them to form a definitive anecdotal opinion.
Posted By: mailmanmark Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/02/12
The only negatives that i've heard about them is from other handloaders that said they weren't as accurate as the Barnes...fwiw
Posted By: efw Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/04/12
I loaded some of the 90 gr seconds MidwayUSA had in my 257AI. Over a max charge of Hunter I got VERY sub-MOA groups and the sort of speed that allowed me to sell my Roy w/o a 2nd thought.

Gonna run em through a doe or 3 this fall and will be sure to report back.
Posted By: Phasmid Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/04/12
The 150 GMX has worked well for me.
[Linked Image]
Nothing recovered from game. Good accuracy too.
[Linked Image]
two antelope, 1 deer, 1 buffalo all took one shot.
Posted By: AggieDog Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/04/12
I never had a daughter, but if I did, Id want her like yours, a hunter. Good Job, Dad.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/04/12
CrazyIs;
If my memory hasn't slipped too badly this evening, I've used a 130gr GMX on four bucks now, one whitetail and four mulies.

Here's a link I dug up from the only GMX I've recovered thus far.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...covered_GMX_tissue_damage_an#Post5700740

As a way of comparison and since you mentioned that you'd used TSX bullets with good results, here is the GMX in the center with an 80gr .257" TTSX on the left and a 168gr .308" TSX on the left.
[Linked Image]

The TTSX was recovered from a mulie buck that our youngest daughter hit with her .250AI, the 168gr TSX is from a whitetail buck I hit with a .308 Norma.

Hopefully the link and photos are some use to you or someone out there sir.

All the best to you and good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: prm Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/04/12
Originally Posted by DJTex
In my limited experience, they have been much like TSX/TTSX - they may be just a tad softer and expand a little better at longer range, but still penetrate well as shown on the 250 plus yard shot on this buck.

DJ

Interested if anyone else has found the same thing. I have been very happy with the TTSX, but I wouldn't mind of they expanded a tad wider. Also, does anyone know what Hornady says the min velocity to open is? I don't see it on their website.
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/04/12
http://www.soarraptors.org/Documents/CopperBulletStudy.pdf

page 12 has some interesting pictures...

SAKO75;
I trust that this finds you and yours doing well this morning sir.

Thanks so much for the very informative link. I have to bookmark that one and re-digest some of the data.

Shortly after I picked up a couple boxes of 130gr. GMX for my "walking around" .270, I also managed to find a couple boxes of 130gr. TTSX - which have been just sitting there on the shelf waiting for me to get around to trying them out.

I'll have to take BobinNH advice and pick up some slower powder next time I'm up the valley far enough to get to a purveyor of reloading components and give them a whirl.

Thanks again for the informative link and all the best to you and yours.

Dwayne.

PS;
I took a quick peek at the shelves before posting here and also saw I'd picked up multiple boxes of 140gr TSX somewhere along the way - didn't recall doing that somehow. blush

I killed a first rack whitetail with one of those using a front on shot. It broke two vertebrae in the neck - powdered them really - and then sailed on through one lung, the diaphragm, a very full stomach and was somewhere in the intestines.

I couldn't find it in the near dark and when I returned the next evening some dirty coyote/raven had taken my ballistic evidence away!

All the best and thanks again SAKO.
no prob...best to you as well...

love to hear our thoughts on it
Posted By: Bobcape Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/04/12
Originally Posted by old_willys
I have taken deer with my 300 wsm and 165 GMX's with no problems, they were running around 3150 fps.

Those are some fast deer! grin

Bob
Posted By: GRF Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/04/12
Sako75 thanks for the great link! GRF
Posted By: mailmanmark Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/04/12
Sako75 as others have said....thank you...I'm going to stick with my 140 TTSX in my 7mag as you probably could guess as to why... [Linked Image]
SAKO;
I felt that overall it was a very thorough test.

Especially interesting to me was the fact that they used several different methods to show the different aspects of bullet performance. Some of them such as the rain barrel were new to me and indeed would be educational I'd think.

The only question I have with this or some other bullet tests I've read is when the testers use reduced loads to duplicate what happens at extended ranges.

My reasoning for that is as follows and hopefully I can articulate it in an efficient manner.

Once upon a time a couple decades back, we loaded 165gr Hornady BT bullets up in my wife's .308 carbine at 2600fps, an '06 I had then at 2850fps and a pair of .308 Normas and a .300 Win Mag at 3150fps. Please note the speeds were averages more or less and ranges at which animals were shot were estimates measured only by how long it took to make our way across the mountain over to the dead buck. wink

So we went out and shot a few mulie and whitetail bucks with them to see what we could see. I should note as well that we cut and wrap our own meat and in so doing perform a de facto necropsy more or less.

Based upon the tissue damage we saw on those bucks I'd say that overall the bullets that had a faster muzzle velocity did more tissue damage at extended range than bullets that started slower.

Now to be sure it wasn't as much difference as I'd expected to see, but I did feel that the bullets with a faster initial velocity created more tissue damage when the impact velocities would have been close to the same.

As all the bucks were killed - by one bullet in all cases I should add - in all likelihood the point is close to moot.

I need to say too that using a bullet of different construction might have entirely different results, but when I read any bullet test that uses reduced initial velocity to try to duplicate impact at extended ranges that question always pops into my mind.

Hopefully that explanation made some sense?

All the best to you and yours again sir.

Dwayne

Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/04/12
Dwayne,

Even though bullets impact at the same velocity, the one that starts out faster has a higher rotational velocity, and is still spinning nearly as fast as at the muzzle when it hits, which helps the bullet to come apart a bit easier, even when it strikes at a reduced velocity.

Take care!

Jordan
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/04/12
It's an interesting study. I'm not sold on a couple of things however. It doesn't show what happens when speeds began to drop. Metal does not imitate real-world hunting bullet applications at all, and water jugs, though fun - and open the monolithics reliably and perfectly, don't demonstrate very accurately what bi-metallic bullets do in hunting situations, therefore aren't very applicable for comparisons.

If all my shots were inside of 100 yards or my rifles fired bullets at between 4000-5000 fps I would not be concerned with these monolithics working well at the distances I've used them in hunting.

My impression of the GMX is that it is the hardest of the four commonly available component monolithics we can presently obtain. Of them, the TTSX seems to act the softest and may be the best bet for lower speed impacts. Kudos to Barnes for working toward that end.

Monolithics have obviously had some serious hurdles to overcome in their development. The TSX did an outstanding job of overcoming some of the fouling accuracy problems encountered with the earlier XFBs. What they didn't do, in my estimation, was improve in reliability of performance nor did they open better. In fact, in attempting to overcome some of the ballistic deficiencies of the less dense copper materials, the frontal portions of the bullets were streamlined which also affected the resulting (diminished) shape and area of the mushroomed bullet. But the TTSX, perhaps not quite the finished product, is very close to what is needed in a monolithic for 'all-purpose' applications.

I have no issue at all with the use of monolithics on heavier animals (like moose) at reasonable distances and speeds. I do have some concerns with lighter animals such as caribou or deer, but I have always had acceptable results when placing the bullets into significant bone structures, as long as the bullet had adequate momentum.

I agree on your thoughts with mono's.....

At 308win speeds I wouldn't shoot deer at any range longer than 300 yards and would feel much more confident shooting a 168 ballistic tip at 275 plus..... Even though I start my 130 ttsx above 3000 I just don't feel like It would work as well on thin skinned game at long distance or any game really....

Where they shine in my 308 is up close to mid range... 0-200 yards and hitting the shoulders when possible. My ttsx formula is highest speeds plus bone equals success. I know any animal in the lower 48 would struggle with 130ttsx launched at 3000+ inside of 250 yards....

The article me shows that the TTSX opens quicker to a larger diameter than the GMX which I want on thin skinned game

I actually am intrigued by the 110 TTSX flat base in 308 launched at 3300-3400
Posted By: mailmanmark Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/04/12
It also makes me wonder what the 110 TTSX would do out of a 7mag, but will the accuracy suffer???
Posted By: Phasmid Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/04/12
Jordan,

Interesting observations. I used hide, water, and fresh bones for my test. If I understand you correctly, because of the reduced rotational speed, my 2000 fps velocity impact test actually produces less damage than a full velocity load would at the range I am simulating with the reduced velocity.

That would be another reason to get a 1 in 8 or faster twist .22, 6mm, or 6.5mm. Thanks! I can always use another reason to get a different rifle.

My friends and I have had no problem with the monmetal bullets on light game like antelope. However, I don't shoot to very long distances (400m+) like some can and do on a regular basis.
Jordan;
Thanks for the reply Jordan, I trust that this finds you and your fine family doing well on this grey Sunday afternoon.

I'd have to admit that rotational speed of the projectile was the only variable I could come up with as well.

Now I'm aware that there are arguments that it can't make much difference, but I do know what we saw as a trend on several animals.

In the same vein then, taking in to account initial rotational bullet speed involved, it would explain how we've seen about equal tissue damage between our daughter's 6.5 Swede and an '06 that I used for years.

For the record that was on bucks only, both whitetail and mulie and the respective projectiles/speeds involved were 120gr@2800fps and 140gr@2650fps in the Swede and 165gr@2850fps and 180gr@2800fps in the '06.

As a by the way, we've yet to stop a 130gr TSX out of her Swede and the tissue damage that it produces has been adequate to say the least. wink grin

Anyway Jordan for what it is or isn't worth that's what I came up with too on the tissue damage subject.

We won't even begin to talk about how little tissue damage difference there was on mulie bucks or black bears comparing the .338Win and the '06... whistle

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week Jordan.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by Phasmid
Jordan,

Interesting observations. I used hide, water, and fresh bones for my test. If I understand you correctly, because of the reduced rotational speed, my 2000 fps velocity impact test actually produces less damage than a full velocity load would at the range I am simulating with the reduced velocity.

Phasmid;
I hope this finds you well today sir and to be clear here I'm not Jordan - I'm shorter, older and have way less hair - and I believe Jordan has seen more stuff die than I have.

That said and for what my thoughts might be worth, I'd suggest that the results of an initially reduced muzzle velocity would indeed produce less damage.

I'd have to look at our hunting records, but that's based on cutting up at least a dozen or more deer shot in our 165gr Hornady BT testing.

We've had no issues with monometal bullets opening up as yet either, but like you our ranges haven't even reached 400yds(estimated/paced - not measured).

Hopefully that was some use to you or someone out there this afternoon.

All the best to you sir and good luck on your upcoming hunts this fall.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/05/12
Phasmid,

Yup, you got it.

You're welcome! Let me know which new rifle you end up buying to test this out in more detail! grin

Dwayne,

Yessir, that's totally consistent with what I've seen, too. In addition to seeing big things die, if a guy spends some time shooting varmints like gophers or woodchucks with two rifles chambered in the same cartridge, but with significantly different twist rates, and fed the same load, you can really start to tell the difference that rotational velocity makes when it comes to the "red goo" factor. wink
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/06/12
heres 3 different 130 ttsx exits on deer from my 308 for comparison.....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrazyIs Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/06/12
Great stuff everyone. Is it me or is Federal discontinuing the Barnes bullets from their factory loaded rifle ammunition?

Thank you
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/07/12

130gr GMX out of 270WSM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DJTex Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/12/12
Thanks for the kind words regarding my daughter and her buck.

It's hard to describe how much I am enjoying hunting with my children!

Thanks also for the link to the study. It was very interesting.

Perhaps the 6 petal mushroom gives the GMX a little better expansion at times, but it sure looks like the TTSX expands in a dramatically superior manner at low speeds and on soft targets.

Interesting stuff.

DJ
Posted By: 16bore Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/12/12
Accurate, no doubt...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/12/12
Wife used 100gr nbt's last year. For the heck of it I think we will try the 90gr gmx this time. No problems at all with the nbt though. Hers shoots both well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/13/12
Originally Posted by CrazyIs
Great stuff everyone. Is it me or is Federal discontinuing the Barnes bullets from their factory loaded rifle ammunition?

Thank you

Yes, Federal is discontinuing factory loaded ammo with Barnes bullets - so I was told by the ATK/Federal rep.

With Barnes now loading and marketing their own ammo, the agreement between the two, with Barnes supplying bullets to Federal was terminated.

Federal will be loading the Trophy Bonded bullets in lieu of Barnes.

FWIW, I've shot the Barnes 300WSM 168 TSX loading and the Federal 300 WSM Barnes TSX loading. Not a nickels worth of difference in velocity between the two over my chrono. Accuracy and POI was almost identical as well. Makes one wonder if Federal is now doing the loading for Barnes. ? ? ? ?

Posted By: jetbrook Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/13/12
Crazyis,
Why would you want to switch from a bullet that you know works for you? I could see if you are a handloader because we are always tinkering, according to your post you are shooting factory loads. I have no personal expierence with the GMX but have not found anything that will shoot as good in my rifles with the performance to boot as the TTSX. Good luck with your decision.
Posted By: CrazyIs Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/14/12
Originally Posted by jetbrook
Crazyis,
Why would you want to switch from a bullet that you know works for you? I could see if you are a handloader because we are always tinkering, according to your post you are shooting factory loads. I have no personal expierence with the GMX but have not found anything that will shoot as good in my rifles with the performance to boot as the TTSX. Good luck with your decision.

Yes, I shoot factory loads and found the Hornady 165 grain GMX rounds to be very accurate out of my rifle. It appears to me that Federal may be dropping the TSX line in their rifle ammo and want something to fall back on. Also, I don't hear much on people using Hornady bullets for larger game.

CrazyIs
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/15/12
My cousin had a funny story with the 165GMX from his Howa 1500 308 Win.

To summarize, this nice buck started showing up at one of his stands just before dark only when it was rainy out. The next week the weather called for rain one eve, so he took off work early, grabbed his slicker and headed to the stand. After getting pelted by rain all eve he thought it was a bust when the big guy showed up a few mins before shooting time expired.

He smoked the buck through both shoulders and when he got down to the buck, he saw that his camera door was open. He thought someone had been jacking with his cam until a closer look:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The buck:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Primos thought it was a funny story and sent him a new camera for free.

He also took another nice 8 with the 165 GMX that same year with the same great results. Both shoulders, in and out with a short trail:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrazyIs Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/16/12
That's great!!!
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/26/12
keeping up with this thread...

for comparison to GMX, another 130 TTSX from the 308 with impact velocity close to 3000

double shoulder broadside exit on 80 lb doe

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/26/12
Hornady 130 GMX 270 Titus (2830 fps) 60 yards or so, full length from behind. This was a less than ideal situation with the deer going fast away, but I hit bones and went a very long way with that bullet. For me, it did an excellent job. I need the space in the smallish can of the custom 270 so I'm going to try the 110 Barnes next. No complaints on the Hornady under those circumstances. Sorry for the tired old picture, getting a lot of mileage...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ttpoz Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/27/12
Some of you guys are getting great accuracy with the GMX's - are you seating them well off the lands like most do with the TSX and TTSX?

BTW, this is a great thread and THANK YOU to all that have shared info.
Posted By: efw Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/27/12
Yeah I got great results in my 257 AI with Ramshot Hunter:

[Linked Image]

...and never measured distance to lands, just gave em a REALLY short COAL seated down to just over the last relief grove so yeah, I treated em like TSXs.

I am currently hunt load #2 and have had to wait longer than anticipated for proper test medium due to my 10 yo son accompanying me afield for his first buck!
Posted By: 16bore Re: Hornady GMX bullet - 11/27/12
.050 off the lands in my 270
© 24hourcampfire