Home
So I finally ran across an action I've been looking for, for quite some time. A Win 70A (Ranger would have done as well). I know they're not exactly rare but they're creeping up to the 400-500$ mark before shipping and transfer online. Found a great deal at my LGS and its sitting in layaway for a few weeks.

I already have other projects in process for other game, like a dedicated dark timber elk rifle (375 Rug on a pre-64) a main elk rifle (M70 300 Wby I'm trying to get to 7.5lbs) and an ultralight elk/mule deer (M70 CRF I'm hoping to get around 6lbs in 30-06) So I have decided to use this as my dedicated goat gun.

It is currently a 30-06 pushfed action, so I am looking at something x57 or '06 based for the build. I want either a #4 or #5 barrel, possibly fluted for weight if going #5/Med Varmint. It will be going into a Boyd's JRS laminate stock that is already fairly hefty, so I have a good stable platform.

What I can't decide on, is what cartridge to go with! Obviously with the Ruger and Wby, I'm not one ot shy away from more expensive cartridges to play around with. But, I can also appreciate function at a cheaper price.

Stuff I'm thinking about so far -
6mm Rem *maybe AI*
240 Wby
25-06
280 Rem
257 Bob AI

Basically I'd like to be throwing a 100-110gr bullet in the 3100-3400fps ballpark.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? 270 is right out, I'm in the anti-270 crowd lol and yes I've owned a few already.
I'd vote for a 243 or any 6mm with better ballistics.

Took my first speed goat with one. 85 grain partition running 3400+ out the muzzle. 225 yards. Ran 20 feet.

They are quite small making hitting the vitals harder so realistically you need a rifle with a decent maximum point blank range. I could get out to 265 yards mpbr with mine.
wind is a big enough (and consistent enough) issue that I"m a fan of 140-170 gr bullets. personally, I use a 280AI w. 160gr TSX .... but unfortunately that's not on your list..... whistle
if it was a short action rifle I'd be looking at the 243 or 260...but, its a bit longer wink
I'd sell you mine but your not in Kanada

257ai
[Linked Image]
Utah,

The places I have hunted, and will likely continue to hunts CAN be windy, here and there, but for the most part they weren't normally above 5-10mph. When I see weather reports of 20mph and up, I just don't go hunting lol.

The 280 AI should probably have been included on that list.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/14/12
6/06
Of those you mentioned, my pick would be a 25-06..It will easily kick a 100 grain bullet along at 3400+..Mine has a #5 barrel, and is I believe 27" long..Very accurate..It may have killed 15 head of deer and antelope..It is one super coyote rifle also.
6.5x284 6.5-06AI, or 6-06 if going for economical shooting. A 105 or 140 A-Max or a 115gr or 140 Berger would be swell.

.280AI if going for the best ballistic bang for your buck from a .30-06 donor. Wind is the only reason for this one. The power certainly isn't needed for 'lopes.
Although I've shot mine with 7m-08 and 7mm WSM, if I were building one from scratch using a .30-06 length action it would be in a 25-06. Alays seemed to me that the 25-06 is the classic speed goat caliber.
Posted By: efw Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/14/12
Doesn't do anything a 25-06 won't do, but I chose 257 AI and the goat didn't have much to say about it (100 gr Interlock @ 3250 fps, 200 yds):

[Linked Image]

If I had an 06-length action (and I do) I'd go 25-06 AI which is on the task list right now...
Posted By: eh76 Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/14/12
Originally Posted by rosco1
6/06
AI
My goat gun is 25-06 shooting 100 grain interlocks.
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
My goat gun is 25-06 shooting 100 grain interlocks.

Mine too. 26" #4 Lilja barrel, Acra-Bond laminated AAA Claro Walnut stock, MRC 1999 action, flat black Teflon coating on all metal, 2.5-16x50 Bushnell Elite 6500. Dang thing weighs about 12 lbs, but it ain't too bad carrying in antelope country.

ShootDogs that sounds pretty darn similar to what I'm looking to build. I have thought about doing some mods to the stock to make it look like the Win 70 Outback Coyote...or just buying that stock, they're still around and fairly cheap. Between that and the flutes I'm hoping to get it closer to 9lbs vs 12 lol. But like you said, carrying a 12lbs rifle in goat country isn't exactly taxing, I'd take a 12lbs rifle on the plains any day over a 10lbs rifle @11k+
25-06.
Rem 700 action.
Pac-Nor super match barrel cro-moly, 24 inches, Rem sporter contour.
Take off Rem Classic stock.
100 grain Ballistic Tip, IMR 4831, CCI standard primer.
Leupold VXII 4 X 12.

IMO everything about it says "Pronghorn rifle"
[Linked Image]
6.5x284.
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/14/12
6.5-06 for better bullet choice with high BC.
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
ShootDogs that sounds pretty darn similar to what I'm looking to build. I have thought about doing some mods to the stock to make it look like the Win 70 Outback Coyote...or just buying that stock, they're still around and fairly cheap. Between that and the flutes I'm hoping to get it closer to 9lbs vs 12 lol. But like you said, carrying a 12lbs rifle in goat country isn't exactly taxing, I'd take a 12lbs rifle on the plains any day over a 10lbs rifle @11k+

Here's a photo when I had the Kahles 3-9x on it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bella1 Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/14/12
I agree with BC STEVE. I've got them all .I like my 257AI but isn't any better than 25-06. The 6.5's with high BC makes the most since. I also love my 270's w/140 bergers. TO EACH HIS OWN!!! It keeps gun smiths going!
Posted By: Oakster Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/14/12
I have the standard version of all the cartridges on your list. I love the Weatherby's, but using a .30-06 bolt face for a build, I would go with the .280, or 280AI if you like. I would want the heavier bullets and high BC of the 7mm round. If you had a magnum action, I would lean towards the .257 Weatherby. That being said, my current coyote and pronghorn rifle is a .240 Weatherby.
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
6.5x284.

That's my choice, 140 gr. Bergers at 3,000 fps. I have an H.S. Precision SPL .240 Wby, but feel the heavier 6.5mm bullet with greater B.C. is better than the 6mm in cross winds at ranges of 400 yds. or so.

Mine is a pre-64 with Borden's Bumps, blueprinted action, 26" 8.5 twist Kreiger, Jewell trigger, pillared and bedded in a Jon Sundra Boyd laminated stock. I have a Z5 3.5-18x44 BT, fitted with an Outdoorsmans turret, set up for this load out to 600 yds. It'll do 4 1/2" at 600 off a bench.

Three speed goats over the past three years, all under 400 yds.

DF
Posted By: MYore Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/16/12
I'm going to vote for .280 AI...

because I have that reamer, a #3 Lilja ready to go, and my shop is about 50 miles north of you. Hint hint. PM sent.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/16/12
I shot my 280AI side by side with my similar built 6.5-284 Wednesday. Was shooting to double check drop, well playing I guess. Either way out to 700 it's same/same......after that I started playin at 1,000 real quick before we ha to go.

I really like the 6.5-284 but could be just as happy with a 6.5-06 or 6-06 for deer sized stuff. Really want to do a big 6 sometime.
I'd go with something in 6.5 for the bullet selection, and probably end up with 130 or 140 vlds. With that action, an `06 Improved.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/16/12
25-06, 6.5-06, 270, 280, whatever turns your crank. For just goats would run 25-06 and not look back. That said, I think your build is too chunky for me. I'd run a #2 Hart and call it good whatever cartridge you decide on.

Light barrels won't shoot good.......
Posted By: JeffP40 Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/16/12
For me, there are two that come to mind with a long action.
First, simple, easy, 25-06. Hard to beat in factory chambering. Easy to load, and shoot. I have one in the making on a VZ24 right now. It is a cheap Adams and Bennett barrel and a friend gave me a laminate thumbhole he built for doing some work for him. Should be good to go with 100s or 115-120s.
Second, 6.5-06AI. I have one on a 700, 28" varmint contour, B&C M40 stock. Shoots 100btips at 3500 and 123 A-max at 3200.

[Linked Image]

This one is lots of fun.
Nice goat, Jeff.

DF
Posted By: CLB Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/16/12
Reads like you already have an M70 30-06 donor...

6/06 @ 24" using 105 Amax
6.5/06 @24" with 140 bergs
CLB,

Of the two you mentioned, which round would have the long range advantage, i.e. B.C.'s, etc.?

DF
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/16/12
6.5's beat both 6mm's and .25's ballistically however, I'd go .25-06. Easy to get, easy to load for, shoots flat, kills goats dead.
As you move from 6-06 to .280AI, you're going to trade some recoil and barrel life for wind drift and hitting power. You have to decide how much recoil, barrel life, wind drift, and hitting power you want in your rifle, but for me and speed goats, I'd roll with a 6-06 twisted at 1:7.5" running the 115gr Berger VLD or the 105gr Hybrid.

If looking for cheap shooting, then the 105gr Hornady HPBT or A-Max would be swell. Barrel life isn't going to be stellar, but you'll be able to spot your shots when using a heavy rifle, wind drift will be manageable (nearly identical out to 1000 yards using a 105 Hybrid at 3305fps vs a 140 Hybrid at 3000fps from a 6.5-06), and killing power will be plenty.
6'5-06 -or- 6.5-284. Skip the AI, fireforming is for the birds...
.25-06.......280......or 6-06

I would just really like to get me a speed goat. Maybe one day

(sigh)

burt2506
Posted By: CLB Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/16/12
DF,

I think the BC of the 140 VLD is .612(not sure at what velocity). To me, edge goes to the 6.5/06 when combined with the the 140 VLD. I have such a combo on my board soon to be built. YMMV.

Heck, the 6/06 with the 115 VLD would be a heck of a combo also.

Only limitations of any reasonable combo would be those of the shooter...
6.5's rule. You can shoot from 85's to 160's. Same cannot be said for the 6mm's.
Question- how many guys load a rifle with every available bullet weight these days? I know I don't. I have maybe two loads per rifle. In 6mm I'd load a 105 or 115gr bullet for longer range shooting, and an 80gr TTSX for close-range killing. In 6.5mm I'd roll with a 120TTSX and 140VLD.

I'd shoot anything from coyotes to moose with either one. So all caliber nut-swinging aside, both would be great choices.
When I wanted a rifle to head south for speed goats I settled on a .25-06AI,shooting 100gr TTSXs.As a wind bucking rifle I took either a .280AI or 7SAUM(ballistic twins).If I make it south again I will take my 6.5Rem Mag(24" Shilen) as a second rifle I think.It's shooting 120BTs into .25" at 3240fps. Monashee
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Question- how many guys load a rifle with every available bullet weight these days? I know I don't. I have maybe two loads per rifle. In 6mm I'd load a 105 or 115gr bullet for longer range shooting, and an 80gr TTSX for close-range killing. In 6.5mm I'd roll with a 120TTSX and 140VLD.

I'd shoot anything from coyotes to moose with either one. So all caliber nut-swinging aside, both would be great choices.

I have four different loads worked up for my 6.5x55...100's, 120's, 130's and 156's. I could hunt anything in the lower 48 with that gun, and would if I didn't have too many guns already.

6mm's are fun, and I have a 243. But they are a joke in the wind, even with a 105 or 115.
I'm a 6.5 fan too but to say a 6mm is a joke in the wind is just silly.....to each his own though.

I'd be a happy camper with most any of the options discussed in this thread and can't say any mentioned would be a "joke".
Have you actually shot the 105 AM or 115 VLD at long range in the wind?

And I agree that you could hunt anything in the lower 48 with your 6.5x55- it's an excellent chambering, but I could also hunt anything in the lower 48 with a .243 loaded properly. wink BTW, we're talking about a dedicated speed goat rifle here, the smallest "big game" you can find in the lower 48...

Just for kicks:

[Linked Image]

Chart created using the JBM engine. Assuming the '06 case for both, 140 6.5 at 3000fps and the 105 6mm at 3350. Yes, there are two lines there.
What gun are you shooting to get a 105gr 6mm bullet to 3350? My 243 will only shoot the 95's @ 2980fps.
He said o6 cases for both. Guess he's going on the 6-06 that was discussed.
My 243 only does 27'ish with 105's....but shoots them well. Been burning I-4350.....should try another powder but have too much other crap to play with it seems?
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Skip the AI, fireforming is for the birds...

I look at it differently. A 6- or 6.5-06 is already a wildcat requiring an extra step in sizing the brass, and any fireforming I do is with new brass. I don't use new brass for anything requiring accuracy (long range hunting), I use brass formed to my chamber whether it's Ackleyed or not so fireforming is not an extra step for me. And I like the extra 100 fps along with no trimming, so it's all good in my book.
I have never noticed a difference in accuracy between virgin brass and fired, so it is a moot point.

That being said, to make a 6.5-06 case, all you do is run 25'06 brass through a 6.5-06 die. Takes all of 5 seconds...

Fireforming does nothing but waste good components and add wear to a barrel.
I disagree,the range time I get when fireforming is more than worth the cost of a few components to me.Also the idea that fireforming for a big game rifle(as opposed to a prairie dog rifle!)would wear a barrel over my lifetime makes no sense to me.I load for 3 Ackley chamberings and have experienced no appreciable barrel wear,even in my 22-250AI which I shoot quite a bit.Don't get me wrong,I'm not being critical but I know what works for me.Doesn't mean it works for other folks tho' grin Cheers,Gunner
Originally Posted by Kaleb
My 243 only does 27'ish with 105's....but shoots them well. Been burning I-4350.....should try another powder but have too much other crap to play with it seems?

My .243 with 26" barrel was getting an easy 3000fps with I4350, and it gets 3145fps after going AI with the same powder. With a slower powder a guy can get 3250fps with a 100gr bullet in the .243AI, and 3350fps is do-able with the 6-06 based on the reports I've read from guys using that combination.

Running .25-06 brass through a die to form 6.5-06 is easy enough, but you're still FF the case. No different than running the same brass in an AI chamber and blowing out the shoulder at the same time. My FF load in my .243AI agg's well under MOA, and is usable for coyotes, gophers, targets, etc, with an 87gr VM at 2900fps.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/17/12
I ran the 105's at 3030fps out of a 24" barrel with Retumbo, it shot okay but never stellar.

That would surely do the trick on most goats, but another 300fps would kick butt as well.
Yes the action is already decided.

Yes, this is purely a speed goat gun. I have a 375 Ruger being built, and a 300 Wby for elk already. I have a 30-06 I'm going to tinker with (maybe 280 or 25-06) into a VERY trim package for mule deer. I have an ultralight 308 being built for tahr/sheep/goats. So this is single purpose gun (ok dual purpose if you count coyotes)

I think its coming down to the 240 Wby and the 25-06. Goats don't need much knock down power. An 80-110gr bullet from either a 6mm or 257 will do the job just dandy out to the 400 or so yard mark. Yes BC and wind drift comes into play a bit, but you so does time-of-flight. Less time in the air, less time for wind to do its dirty work. Plus its just not that incredibly windy in Eastern CO, not like Wyoming. I like the 240 for the fact that if I DO need to buy factory ammo, I can. Can't say that about a 6/06 or 6.5-06. Nothing against them, I looked long and hard....but the factory option trumps minor gains in speed or loading ease/case life/case cost.
Oh and I also like the 25-06 for the fact that if I DO need to buy factory ammo I CAN, and its cheaper lol
Either the 6/06 (240 Wby, or the 25/06 will do all you need done. I'm a big time fan of the 6 aught and the 25 aughgt. If factory ammo was a factor then I'd go 25 aught. Or if elky's were a player from time to time then I'd lean to the 25 aught.

The big 6's will do a fantastic job for you. I'm finishing up my 2nd 6/06 barrel (meaning it's pretty well toast) as well I've 3 buds who use the 6/06 as well. By and large we've used the 70 NBT, or the 95 NBT for most all our work. I've also used the 85 and 95 TSX's a bit as well.

We've taken somewhere in the range of 50-60 head of lopes, deer and black bears with the 70 NBT and to my knowledge we've yet to have one stay inside a critter.

Nothing at wrong with the VLD's type of slugs but we've had super good experiences with a plain jane 70-95 grain NBT.

Dober
Posted By: Brad Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/17/12
And there's nothing wrong with a 30-06 shooting 180's... laugh
Cepting after 301 yds..... wink

Dober
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have never noticed a difference in accuracy between virgin brass and fired, so it is a moot point.

Well, to each his own, I've noticed a difference, especially with brass that comes in bags and is dinged up. If there was no difference, then all of your match shooters would be using as much virgin brass as fired. And we are talking some fairly long shots here so accuracy matters.
This is a total side note but, I find this topic about "speed goat rigs" to slide right in their with what do I carry for bear protection....grin

Dober
True, it's easy to get sidetracked. Probably no cartridge mentioned wouldn't be close to as good as it gets.

This coming from a guy who had a perfectly good 25-06 rebarreled to 6.5-06. It's fun to mess around with different rifles/cartridges though, just to see what they'll do.
I'd go 6-06 or 25-06. My last (and only) rifle built with goats in mind was a 25-06AI of the Faux-Ti flavor with a PN Mt Rifle contour at 23".

I ran the 100gr NBT's in it and it was wicked on a couple goats. My wife shot one prone at 416yds and he simply crumpled.

[Linked Image]

I shot one at 460yds sitting with shooting sticks and he too crumpled at the shot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I shot a couple whitetail bucks last fall with that rifle as well and it did what one would expect.

I also learned that in all reality the 25-06AI w/100's really didn't do anything (for me) that my 243/243AI's couldn't do with 105's. So I sold the rifle and still am running my 243/243AI's.

I guess if I was doing it over, and on a LA, I would go 6-06 to take advantage of the high BC 6mm bullets. Good luck!!!

Posted By: GuyM Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/17/12
[Linked Image]

.25-06 Rem 700 CDL, 6x Leupold, 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet loaded to 3120 fps. Works great on mule deer & coyotes too.

My first time pronghorn hunting, and I think the deer rifle did just fine.
Guy, I haven't been on the site here in quite a long time but I remember you running the 115VLD in that rifle. You still running them?
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
This is a total side note but, I find this topic about "speed goat rigs" to slide right in their with what do I carry for bear protection....grin

Dober

I agree. In the area where I grew up, by far the hardest thing about getting a really nice Antelope was obtaining a permit. Any legal bolt-action deer rifle between .223 and .375 should work fine.

Finding an excuse to build a rifle is another motivation, though.
6.5-06AI with 130g Swift Scirocco (BC .577) was the route I went.

You can use .25-06 brass run through a neck sizer die.

For fire-form loads I run 140g A-MAX over Hornady's max charge of H4831SC. Very accurate in my rifle and a pleasure to shoot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GuyM Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/17/12
Brad, I did run the 115 Berger VLD's for a few years and they did well for me.

For some reason, likely a big sale at SPS... I went back to my Noslers this season. Had a hard time picking between the Ballistic Tips and the Partitions, both in 115 gr. Each was accurate, the B-Tips a little more so.

Still have a box or two of those Bergers on hand though - nothing wrong with them at all.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: eh76 Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/18/12
[Linked Image]
Bad boring.....but .277 and 130 NBT at 3K+ work just fine for me
I would get a lightweight 25-06 or 257 Roberts, 3-9x scope.

Easy beans.

If it's too [bleep]' windy, it's too [bleep]' windy.....
So don't shoot.....grin
Posted By: eh76 Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/18/12
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Bad boring.....but .277 and 130 NBT at 3K+ work just fine for me

6.5 bad? you need help
Posted By: Fotis Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/18/12
25-06 easy

The quintessential antigoat rifle!
Originally Posted by SamOlson

So don't shoot.....grin

That is my stance on it and why I'm likely avoiding the heavier "wind bucker" bullets/cartridges. I always check the weather before going out and if I see stuff like 25mph with gusts to 30...yea, I'm just not hunting. Its not even taking the risky shot (IMO) I hate the wind, and I am miserable when I have to be outside in it.

So don't shoot.....grin

That is my stance on it and why I'm likely avoiding the heavier "wind bucker" bullets/cartridges. I always check the weather before going out and if I see stuff like 25mph with gusts to 30...yea, I'm just not hunting. Its not even taking the risky shot (IMO) I hate the wind, and I am miserable when I have to be outside in it.
This makes sense and I agree.It'll work well for those who live in speed goat country.But for those who like me must drive 1500-1800 miles to hunt and have to deal with whatever weather is there when we get there, a 2nd rifle in a wind bucking chambering also makes sense.I'll continue to bring along a .280AI or some such calibre even though I'd much prefer to hunt with my .25-06AI. Monashee
I thought that there was a law that said Pronghorn had to be shot with .25 caliber bullets.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/18/12
Where I hunt, it gets super windy and they hole up in little depressions to get out of the wind. Not much trick to get in under 200 yards on them. Don't mind the wind much.

The last...3 times I've been out, hardly more then a breeze going through (112 and 121) One day it WAS blasting in the 35-40mph range, I decided to save my gas money that day and went the following day after work instead.

The argument for a the heavier, wind capable combos for traveling hunters is one I support. Same reason I have no problem suggesting heavier cartridges (if they can be shot well) and premium bullets for out of state hunters coming out here after elk. Yea expensive bullets cost a few bucks more, but nothing compared to tags, gas, time from work, food, etc.
My goat gun is a .243. Shooting 87gn Bergers at 3200. It's alittle too much under 200yds but it shines from 200 to 600 yds. If you plan on greater range go bigger.
Posted By: Brad Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/18/12
My goat gun is my elk rifle, whatever that is in a given year.

This long range antelope BS is mostly just that. The majority are shot inside 300 yards.

Originally Posted by Monashee

So don't shoot.....grin

This makes sense and I agree.It'll work well for those who live in speed goat country.But for those who like me must drive 1500-1800 miles to hunt and have to deal with whatever weather is there when we get there, a 2nd rifle in a wind bucking chambering also makes sense.I'll continue to bring along a .280AI or some such calibre even though I'd much prefer to hunt with my .25-06AI. Monashee

Instead of not shooting 453 yards in a 20-30 mph breeze one could always try and get closer.

I live nearby pronghorn country and if I get a day off to go hunting I sure as hell ain't sitting home if it's windy outside.

Some of the best open country hunting can be had on a windy day. Might not be the most fun but the wind can really aid in a stalk.
Originally Posted by Brad
My goat gun is my elk rifle, whatever that is in a given year.

This long range antelope BS is mostly just that. The majority are shot inside 300 yards.

It all depends on where your hunting and when. Public land, mid season you'd better bring your long range game with you. Last year 3 goats 310 yds, 400yds, and 550 yrds that's after putting the stalk on and lots getting away because I couldn't get close. I'm talking spotting them at 1500yds and running away. This year my son and I dropped 6 all under 200yds opening day.

Any dedicated antelope gun should be a long range rig because they will eventually put you and your rig to the test. If you think it's BS then you'll be showing up partially prepared.
Posted By: Brad Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/19/12
I kindly dissent... I don't consider LR 550 yards.

My longest goat was taken a 548 yards with a 300 WSM and 180 Partition... not exactly a long range unit. It was my elk rifle that year

Last goat was 401 yards with my elk rifle... 308 Win with 165 Accubond.

Most of my goats were taken inside 300 yards. For me, the fun of hunting goats is getting as close as you can.

And within reason, a rifleman can use anything.

Posted By: eh76 Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/19/12
So Brad what do you consider long range..?
Originally Posted by Brad
I kindly dissent... I don't consider LR 550 yards.

My longest goat was taken a 548 yards with a 300 WSM and 180 Partition... not exactly a long range unit. It was my elk rifle that year

Last goat was 401 yards with my elk rifle... 308 Win with 165 Accubond.

Most of my goats were taken inside 300 yards. For me, the fun of hunting goats is getting as close as you can.

And within reason, a rifleman can use anything.

550 is long range for a .243 wink. I am with you. I like to get as close as I can but when it's 550 I still want to get the animal.

I judge long range when you have to start holding over so about 400 to 1000. I judge a long range rig to be accurate and a scope able to compensate for the extended distances. BDC or turrents.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/20/12
Well if you don't like the 270 then open up the bolt and run a 257 Roy.
Posted By: RinB Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/20/12
My goodness! You can kill antelope was just about anything provided you can shoot well. Also, it's relatively easy to sneak up on them. I've never had to shoot past 300 yards, not ever!

This talk of 6mm 105's at over 3400. Well to do that you need pressure, lots of it. A 25-06 is pushing it to get 3300 with a 100. Decrease the diameter and it becomes much harder to break 3200 let alone 3300. Increase the weight to 105 or 115, and it becomes even more difficult.

Good hunters can get the job done with just about anything. I have shot them with a 44 S&W. Now that was interesting.
RinB, about revolvers one of my all time coolest hunts was with my Dad when I called in a lope from about 600 out and took him with my G-dads 6" M29.

Dober
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/20/12
To me, the fun of spot and stalk hunting is seeing how close you can get, not how far you can shoot from.

Antelope can be spooky and I too have seen them take off running at the mere sight of a hunter near a mile away in a pickup. I have also seen them stand there 50 yards from a road without a care in the world. I'd bet a fair sum of money to say that most of them are shot at less than 300 yards, certainly within 400 yards. Even at their spooky-est (technical term) I haven't found myself ever unable to get within 400yards, most of the time much closer than that.

Archery hunting I have gotten as close as 50 yards, which for me and my recurve is too far. The first goat I shot was from about 75 with a .30-06. Last one I shot was from about 250 out with a 7mm Rem Mag.

Around here those who do use different guns for Antelope the .25-06 is way out front of the others then probably the .243 Win and .22-250.

Like I said before the .25-06 is all you need to do the job and more in a long action.
I've had a 6MM-06 for 12-13 years now and have taken Antelope, Sheep, Caribou, Mule Deer, White Tail and a bunch of Coyotes with it. I have a 1 in 10 twist, #2 contour, Douglas Stainless 24" barrel and a Brown Precision stock on a Rem 700 LH action.

I shoot 100 grain Nosler Partions @ 3270 fps using RL22 or 70 grain NBTs for Coyotes. With either load it's a 7/10 MOA rifle. You surely don't need anything more for Antelope.

I'd think about it some more before I threaded that heavy barrel on an Antelope rifle.

Originally Posted by LarryfromBend
I've had a 6MM-06 for 12-13 years now and have taken Antelope, Sheep, Caribou, Mule Deer, White Tail and a bunch of Coyotes with it. I have a 1 in 10 twist, #2 contour, Douglas Stainless 24" barrel and a Brown Precision stock on a Rem 700 LH action.

I shoot 100 grain Nosler Partions @ 3270 fps using RL22 or 70 grain NBTs for Coyotes. With either load it's a 7/10 MOA rifle. You surely don't need anything more for Antelope.

I'd think about it some more before I threaded that heavy barrel on an Antelope rifle.

Sounds like a wonderful rig!

Dober
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/20/12
Originally Posted by RinB
My goodness! You can kill antelope was (with) just about anything,,, Good hunters can get the job done with just about anything.

That's really the truth of it, thanks RinB.
RinB that is the truth about any animal...and if you want to have 1 or 2 guns for everything, I'm not going to talk you out of it. By the same token, its FUN to have specialized rigs for specific tasks. I'm using my 30-06 here in a few weeks on my next antelope hunt...doesn't mean it will be my go-to antelope rig.

You can survive on bologna, ramen and PB&J for many months....but who wants to?
Also I have no troubles putting stalks on goats, been there done that. Took a belly full of cactus thorns along the way. The way I see it, if I can make a good solid shot at 400 yards with a rig set up to do so, why do I need to crawl to 300? Plus on public land here, or the open-to-public private lands through the DOW, you'll see more orange then a ripe pumpkin patch. That hour long stalk could easily be busted by any number of hunters. One time I got to hunt on a 20k ranch with 1 other hunter and that was nice, still made some great stalks on goats and had fun...but that was a special case. Most of the places I've been able to hunt have a dozen hunters on 5k or less. Last place I hunted everything was pretty much cut down on farm land, big open and flat for a 1/2 in every direction. Ain't no gettin closer across dead flat dirt when you, even on your stomach, are the highest elevation landmark around. That was no fun, regret paying the 200$ trespass fee for "limited pressure". Guy didn't tell me there were road hunters all over and that his land was a patchwork of a field here, and a field there, between other farmers plots some of which did not allow you to even set foot on. Such is the life of hunting goats in CO frown
Posted By: eh76 Re: Building a speed goat gun? - 11/21/12
RinB that is the truth about any animal...and if you want to have 1 or 2 guns for everything, I'm not going to talk you out of it. By the same token, its FUN to have specialized rigs for specific tasks. I'm using my 30-06 here in a few weeks on my next antelope hunt...doesn't mean it will be my go-to antelope rig.

You can survive on bologna, ramen and PB&J for many months....but who wants to?

N'er mind the naysayers..build what you want/like. Getting close is fun and long range is just as fun. For the critics let it be known I have killed them with revolvers as well as long range rigs. smirk

I just got mine done on a 700 SA in a 6.5x47 Lapua. Had fun this fall with the builders 6mm-06AI. Actually had a LOT of fun with it. Let several of my friends take antelope from 450 to 930 yds with it.

It is all about what you want not the knuckleheads here.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by LarryfromBend

Sounds like a wonderful rig!

Dober

I've really enjoyed using it. With a 2.5X8 Leupold in steel mounts it weighs just over 7 lbs. I built it 'cause I was tired of the huff and puff of a 7 Mag or even a .270 on lightweight big game that didn't require it. There's something nifty about having enough, but not more than needed --- at least to me. I kiled the 250 lb BigHorn @ 348 yards. It barely moved. Caribou are tougher to put down immediately; but that's the case with larger calibers, also.
Larry- sounds like an excellent rig! Far or near it's gonna nuke them.

Dober
338 RUM slinging 210 Scoroccos. But to build on that i vote for 6-06. Just sounds like a death ray.
© 24hourcampfire