Home
Posted By: kawi To Heck with the right bullets! - 11/19/12
From hear on out I will shoot the bullet I like. I think it should ad a new but good twist to the hunt. The game should not be to offel fare away but nun to close,somewhat skinny but nun to fat,just setting there but not asleap, gusty but not blowing. That should about do it. grin
okie dokie.....
Originally Posted by kawi
From hear on out I will shoot the bullet I like. I think it should ad a new but good twist to the hunt. The game should not be to offel fare away but nun to close,somewhat skinny but nun to fat,just setting there but not asleap, gusty but not blowing. That should about do it. grin

+1
I was just thinking the same thing.
I've killed a lot of elk with standard bullets and I've killed some with the high dollar bullets. I see very little difference.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've killed a lot of elk with standard bullets and I've killed some with the high dollar bullets. I see very little difference.

Did these same Elk offer their opinion? Always two sides to a story..
Dead elk don't have opinions.
Many many years ago, I chose the bullets I wanted to use.I never have been to muh in following all the gack about these so called majic bullets that many tout as the only thing to use.

I use what works for me and have done quite well. Don't care what others use.
I've killed a potload of elk with Speer Hotcores in both 270 and 300 WSM. They've performed nicely...and with far less meat destruction than Accubonds. 30 cal, 180 gr Hotcores are kind of hard to find now, though, as they're being replaced by the Speer's Deep Curl. I might give those a try.
Feel fre to believe whatever you like. I've found the premiums have an advantage when the shot is taken under tough conditions. The better ones open better at longer ranges, penetrate better when heavy tissues are encountered, and often leave a blood trail which can make the difference between finding the kill in time or having it lost. E
Originally Posted by ingwe
okie dokie.....

grin grin
To me ... the right bullets are the ones that are the most accruate out of my rifle. Those are the ones I use ...
Many times though the most accurate bullet is really not the one best suited for the game being chased.Change that to selecting the most accurate bullet within the design paramters to match the game being chased and I'd agree
Originally Posted by lippygoathead
To me ... the right bullets are the ones that are the most accruate out of my rifle. Those are the ones I use ...

+1
Looking back over more than a few elk,deer,pronghorn thatI have killed, the few that entailed a longer than 50 yard tracking job was due to poor bullet placement on my part rather than what bullet I used or what cartridge it came out of.
I pick the most accurate in the lower priced bullets. They tend not to be the tougher bullets so open better at longer ranges if it's close I just shootem' in the head or neck.

I'll use an expensive partition when I have to shoot through a brick wall or something first.

That was kinda the punch line,,,
Originally Posted by Kenneth

That was kinda the punch line,,,

But did it exit? laugh laugh

Pretty much all I shoot on big game are Nosler Partitions. As a guide though I see all kinds of calibers, bullets, and accuracy. I'm constantly "surprised" how often critters take a dirt nap, with bullets and hits that are supposed to be sub-par.

the right bullet is the one you made yourself. Like catching a big rainbow or brown on your own fly, shooting an elk with your own bullet is the way to go.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Many times though the most accurate bullet is really not the one best suited for the game being chased.Change that to selecting the most accurate bullet within the design paramters to match the game being chased and I'd agree

Nice and polite response.........beat me to it.....LOL.

If they made a 180gr. V-Max in .308, I suppose that it might be the most accurate bullet that I could find, but doubt very much that you could carry enough to put down an elk.

Desiring to use only the most accurate bullet/load for hunting is akin to purchasing the most comfortable hiking boot made that fits what you think you want, but in 3 sizes too big. It might do the job, it might not, but there is likely a far more appropriate fit from which to choose.
Originally Posted by magnumb
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Nice and polite response.........beat me to it.....LOL.

Desiring to use only the most accurate bullet/load for hunting is akin to purchasing the most comfortable hiking boot made that fits what you think you want, but in 3 sizes too big. It might do the job, it might not, but there is likely a far more appropriate fit from which to choose.

You're right, the most accurate bullet/load combo that shoots in my rifle...which falls into the design parameters for the game being hunted. I just assumed that was a given.
I don't know about you guys but the "right" bullet is the only way I go. It's got to shoot accurately and put game down with minimal blood shot and ruined meat. If it keeps puting meat in the freezer, I'll keep using it....Pretty simple.. wink
Originally Posted by BrentD
the right bullet is the one you made yourself. Like catching a big rainbow or brown on your own fly, shooting an elk with your own bullet is the way to go.

[Linked Image]

Yep, that is sure hard to beat.

[Linked Image]

Hard to argue with sucess

[Linked Image]
Yup, success is good stuff
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire