Home
Posted By: HighRoad Stormy Kromer Question - 01/05/13
Want to spend some Santa money. Looking at my first Kromer. Which do you prefer- the Original or the Rancher style? Why?

Thanks.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/05/13
I think its just a matter of preference. I like the ear flaps inside. The orig also has a slightly longer bill for better eye shade.
I have one I bought locally a few years ago for much less than the going $40 price. It says Beaver Brand since 1860 but I can't find a manufacturer. Made in USA, 100% wool shell.
Posted By: widrahthaar Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/05/13
Filson....

Posted By: CKW Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/06/13
I have both versions of the Kromer hats. Bought the regular one first and wear it a lot. But when it is cold and windy part of my ears are exposed so got the rancher version. The rancher is very warm and the the ear flaps work great. To me it is too warm most of the time.

(Have a Filson too and it is great hat that is not as warm as the Kromer rancher.)

Hunting I prefer broad brimmed hats and use a Cabela's with ear flaps. Really cold and windy brings out the Kromer rancher.
Posted By: JeffP40 Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/06/13
Rancher, gotta have the flaps.
Posted By: snubbie Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/06/13
I have the original. It keeps my noggin plenty warm. Of course, low 20's is a cold day around here. Looks to me like the rancher style has more or larger earflaps but I have no experience with it. Love mine for those cold days in the woods.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/06/13
Use both in WI. The original is usually plenty. If it's buttazz cold and blowing, the Rancher gets the nod because it drops pretty low, covering the back of the head nicely.
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/06/13
I would get a railroad cap like this...

[Linked Image]

Looks like a Kromer, but it has inside earflaps that fold down almost to the back of your neck.. I have both a Kromer and the one pictured, and for usability, the railroad cap most of the time gets the nod over the Kromer.

Ben
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/06/13
My dad got a new Carhartt hat this Winter that he's been pimping around.

I still have my ball cap and headband.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/06/13
Rancher style was way to warm for my liking. Reverted back to original.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/06/13
I've got the Rancher for hunting.

My friends say stuff like "Vewy, vewy quiet"...

What the hell, I stay warm.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/06/13
Originally Posted by roundoak
Rancher style was way to warm for my liking. Reverted back to original.

Always depends on the weather/temps and activity.

Headbands rule.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/06/13
unless yer bald.....

Make mine a carhartt beanie covered by a ballcap....and the beanie has a nifty little face cover for when ya need it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/06/13
Originally Posted by mtcurman

[Linked Image]

Looks like a Kromer, but it has inside earflaps that fold down almost to the back of your neck.. I have both a Kromer and the one pictured, and for usability, the railroad cap most of the time gets the nod over the Kromer.

Ben
Kromer was a railroad engineer who supposedly designed the hat to stay on his head in an open engine. His wife made it. It was so successful and popular with other railroaders that he resigned and he and his wife started the Stormy Kromer Hat Co. So, the Kromer and railroad hats are one and the same. There are variations, though.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/06/13
Interesting. I've been looking at these hats as well,nd never knew they were designed by a railroad engineer. Cool.
Posted By: JeremyKS Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/07/13
Beaver brand is no longer in business unfortunately.
Posted By: tzone Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/07/13
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I think its just a matter of preference. I like the ear flaps inside. The orig also has a slightly longer bill for better eye shade.
I have one I bought locally a few years ago for much less than the going $40 price. It says Beaver Brand since 1860 but I can't find a manufacturer. Made in USA, 100% wool shell.

The one's with the shorter bills are womens, just sayin.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/07/13

Here is a shot of the interior of one I just sold. Tells the story....(hit reply and it gets easier to see)

[Linked Image]

I've had two of them and just couldn't get one to fit just right. Crazy I know.

My KOM Bomber hat is my go to hat when it is really cold & blowing. I hoped I could get the SK to work but it didn't.
Posted By: Berettaman Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/07/13
The rancher sits a wee bit lower on my head and rides on my ears. I dont like that unless it is cold. It is also heavier. I prefer the standard. I have one in blaze orange that I wore a lot that faded pretty good. I like my camo one and I have a green one on order.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/08/13
That is the beauty of the headband and ballcap!

Infinite adjustibility.

Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/08/13
Originally Posted by HighRoad
Want to spend some Santa money. Looking at my first Kromer. Which do you prefer- the Original or the Rancher style? Why?

Thanks.

If you live near a Cabelas watch their end of winter sale (or online) and you can get one with goretex for less than $20.

I like the regular one for COLD weather and their 'cord' cap for fall/spring. They're too hot for summer which is too back because they're so comfortable.
Posted By: HighRoad Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/08/13
I might just have to try one of these . . . before going to a headband and ballcap! Thanks for the feedback everyone.

http://www.campmor.com/crowncap-wool-railroad-style-hat.shtml
Posted By: roundoak Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/08/13
Highbean, that cap has a polyester lining versus a cotton lining of the Stormy Kromer. Maybe that would not make a difference to you, but it would to me.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/08/13
COTTON KILLS!......Just ask the guys on the backpack forum.......grin
Yeah, the obituaries this time of the year in my neck of the woods, indicate an increase of deaths caused by cotton flannel lined Kromer caps. eek

Posted By: SamOlson Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/08/13
RIP!

[Linked Image]
I would award you points for style, but no aviators. smile
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/08/13
What the hell, dont you know your not supposed to leave your pup in the truck with the windows up. They can over heat.... grin
Posted By: inland44 Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/09/13
I have 3 orginals,(gray,olive and orange)and love them. I wear them with pride being a yooper down here in troll land. Ive seen the rancher on line but not one in person yet and might like it for ice fishing or late season hunting. Thinking about the waxed canvas one for chores and duck hunting.
Posted By: HighRoad Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/11/13
I've had a couple waxed canvas hats. They did not breath well at all -- had heavy condensation form all over the inside. I would not do another one.
Posted By: tzone Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/11/13
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Originally Posted by HighRoad

Thanks.

If you live near a Cabelas watch their end of winter sale (or online) and you can get one with goretex for less than $20.

I like the regular one for COLD weather and their 'cord' cap for fall/spring. They're too hot for summer which is too back because they're so comfortable.

I did that last year. I found the goretex hats to be too dang hot. They don't breathe like the plain jane Kromers.
Posted By: Ravenr2 Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/11/13
Here in my country we call them "scotch caps"
Thou they look like the railroad caps shown.
Worn them for years in all weathers and won't be outside
in Wyoming's winters without mine.
The laced band is pulled down over the earflaps
and can be tightened to fit.
A must have in sub-zero weather IMO
Originally Posted by mtcurman

[Linked Image]

Ben

This one gets my vote as well.. I have several of these. Great hat....
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Stormy Kromer Question - 01/13/13
I always thought the Stormy Kromer was a bit of a ripoff because the "flap" tied in front doesn't really fold down over the ears. Its just for looks.

My main hunting cap is a Crown Cap "buffalo check railroad style hat" and it has flaps that really do fold down over the ears and tie under the chin when maximum warmth is desired. It also has a short internal flap folded under the rim that covers just the top of the ears. Its a great cap. Heres a link:

http://crowncap.com/catalog/product/buffalo-check-railroad-style-hat/
© 24hourcampfire