Home
What a good invent! The 7mmRem mag and the 140XLC.........
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
Yeah Stick that is a pretty picture...[color:green] but take a good hard look at that old beauty the 6.5 swede there is classic sculpture. That belted queen of the ball is a wonderfull blue blood but she just dosen't have the lines of the ole grand dam Swede [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl [color:red]
I used that combo on an antelope one year. That rather warm load w/o the blue was devastating on that buck. Unfortunately you really need a 26" barrel to get the most that round has to offer. I rebarreled to bigger and better, IMO and no longer have a 7mm. Good luck, Troy.
Well, it looks pretty sexy to me!!!
<br>
<br>I am going to go there!
<br>
<br>What is the performance differance between a 24 and a 26 inch tube? Wondering if I need to go to the 26 on this rifle I am working on?
<br>
<br>Bill
Stick,
<br> I've got a question for you. If the .280 AI is regarded as the Feline's Posterior, why is the 7mm Rem. Mag generally eschewed as abit overbore? I've read a number of posts that said it's a barrel burner and yet it does'nt use that much more powder than the AI, or am I missing something? I've read it's far harder on barrels than the .300 Win Mag. Always seemed a shootable and accurate cartridge to me. Curious of your opinion. What's your powder of choice? Best, Matt.
Matt,
<br>
<br>There is little doubt the 280AI is a dandy. Simply put,the 7Rem,is "dandier".
<br>
<br>It comes right down to what you want and need. The 280AI comes close,using less powder. That generates less recoil and will help barrel life. Those are all good things.
<br>
<br>That being said,I couldn't fathom a way,to cuss the 7Mag. I always felt it to be the upper performance limit,for Joe Average,regarding recoil. To really outdo it,you are gonna get beat up. I'm sure I could happily Hunt the World with the 280AI,but I've much more firsthand experience,with the 7mag. With that experience,comes a huge measure of faith.
<br>
<br>I use the cartridge different than most,because I'm not a heavy bullet man. The 120/140X is all I'd ever launch from that case. If that isn't gonna do it,neither will a heavier bullet,going slower. I'd go up in diameter,before hamstringing it,with lumbering velocities and mundane bullet construction.
<br>
<br>A friend is expecting his 22" barreled 280AI back any day(it is being shipped in the same box,as my much awaited new 7-08). when it shows,I can toss some hard data fresh off the chronograph,to you. He built it short and light,obviously a longer tube would grant more speed. A 22" barreled 280Ackley,makes 10x as much sense,as a 26" barreled 7Ultra(grin). For what he wants,the 280Ackley,is the best of what's available(my opinion).
<br>
<br>I have a sweet spot for the 7Mag,it is a hell of a good cartridge. Most guys wood it up with projectiles that keep it, from reaping it's potential. The 120's at 3500fps,out of a 24" tube,is a superb load. V-Max of the same weight,grant it versaility,few are aware of.
<br>
<br>I've had lots of them and never once been less that amazed,with it's performance. To date,I haven't shot a barrel out of one and was never alarmed at the prospect. While it could most certainly be done,I don't believe it to be a legitimate concern,especially in a Hunting Rifle.
<br>
<br>I just got my best one back from a buddy. I couldn't even formulate a guesstimate,as to how many rounds it has digested. She was the mainstay of my stable for a while and I shoot it constantly. I know for sure,it ate one carton of 140gr Core-Lokts(1000)all by itself,because I shot that bullet for practice. That isn't counting the loads I REALLY liked(120 Ballistic tip,until the advent of the V-max).
<br>
<br>So I couldn't give a definative answer,in regards to barrel life. Other than to say,if you shot one out,you'd of had a good time doing it.
<br>
<br>I like mine a little shorter than most,the 24" tube makes me happy. Though a 26" would be faster,nobody is going to tell me,that 2" of barrel length is going to leave it non-lethal.
<br>
<br>If I would have never fallen in love(by shooting one) a 257Wby,I would lean on the 7Rem Mag,for most everything. I think very highly of it. Couple it with great bullet and it becomes even better yet. Yep,no doubt. If you took all my 25's away,I'd be sporting the 7Mag.
<br>
<br>Re-22,is THE powder,for me and what I do with it...................
Darn it, Stick. You keep on posting these sexy pictures, and I'll convert back over to a magnum freak.
<br> Did I tell ya I've got a Rifle Basix trigger coming for my .25-284 ? I already have a set of Gentry SS mounts, and rings for it. Have you ever tried them ?
<br> That sure makes for a seductive looking package.
<br> Ah, me. E
E,
<br>
<br>The 7,is a "baby" magnum,she's more friendly than most(257Wby,friendliest of all).
<br>
<br>I'm gonna build a 280AI,as another "all arounder",in fact I think I'll give it to my Dad. No doubt,it is a very good cartridge and one of the best in a light rifle,for general purpose.
<br>
<br>Did you find the Basix trigger,too narrow in the face,for your liking? I got the Tyler shoe for mine and it improved the feel by at least 300 percent. The Pimp even liked it and he hates everything!
<br>
<br>Yes,there is a lot of Gentry floating around this country. On XP's,Model Sevens and a couple UltraLight 700shorts. A very sanitary design,seems to be very robust and of minimum weight. I'm a chicken. I run the XP,100 1pc Dual Dovetail bases/rings on my XP and Model Seven. I run 2pc Dual Dovetails on everything else. I even welded the Dual Dovetails,to my 600 Pink Rifle in 25-284(grin). I'm convinced they are without peer,regarding rugged durability vs weight.
<br>
<br>I can't say enough good about the Basix trigger,on the 600. It breathed new life into her.
<br>
<br>Here is why I sorta parked the 7mag and got rid of my STW's. 25-06Ackley on the left,7Mag center and 257Wby far right. I just ran a nickel 7Mag case through the 257Wby die,to come up with a chromer case,for the comparison. "Real" 257Wby brass,is a smidge longer,but both work fine,for most applications. Without a shadow of a doubt,the 257Wby is the most stellar performer I've ever seen on Game.
<br>
<br>Lots of good choices out there..................
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
Stick,
<br>
<br>For some reason the 7mm's have never tickled my fancy, same goes for .24's, and 25's. Make it a 6.5mm and then I get excited. I contacted Virgin Valley about the rimmed 6.5 WSM project, and they said the'd already made a few 6.5X300 WSM's. They also recomended going with the Rem short mag as it'll better adapt to use with the 348 case. I just gotta wait til the factory offering comes about, then I'll have cheap dies, factory brass, and can form a few of the rimmed cases.
Dang , I've been using a 7mm mag for thirty years , and here most of that time I had it hamstrung with lumbering speed and mundane bullet construction ,HehHehHeh------- 160 gr Speer hot core over a case full of H870 .
<br>
<br>The load has performed superbly from 40 yards to 400+
Shoot the 120X with Re-22 at over 3500fps and tell me I'm wrong. I've been the other route. No contest..................(grin)
Well , for sure there's no "wrong" answer to the question with a 7 mag . But crunch some figures thru your ballsitic calculator . Compare a very high b.c. bullet like a 160 gr 7mm spitzer at around 3100 fps to a hyper speed load (say 3300 and up) with a bullet of lessor ballistic qualities and you will see there is precious little difference in drop at 400 yards . Farther than that , I think striking energy will begin to favor the heavy slug more and more ......besides , I've been shooting lead bullets for thirty years and there is just something wrong with the idea of throwing copper instead of lead . HehHeh grin
No,it's all a matter of preference. Give me your load data,it's speed/BC and I'll crunch them on my PACT. Most guys grossly underestimate the trajectory retention of lesser BC projectiles,when launched at warp speed. It's often an eye opener. The 120 vs 160 comparison,will be interesting and others may be interested,as well. No right or wrong answer,just a comparison.
<br>
<br>I'll just crunch the 120X at 3500fps,because all 24" tubes I've played with,will easily do that. We'll use a 250yd zero and crunch both trajectory and wind drift,to 750yds(as an excersize). I can figure energy as well.
<br>
<br>This will be a fun excersize. I'll run both,at equal sight heights and atmospheres. Then I'll scan the printout of each and we can razz eachother.
<br>
<br>Is it a Date?(grin)...............
This is as fast,as my fat fingers can go,typing/scanning/posting.................
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
Go to it Stick . I already crunched it on my freebie bal. software , so we'll see if they will agree . I really never chronoed that load but trajectory from actual shooting matches up with the muzzle velocity of 3100 . The Speer hot core has a b.c. of .500 ........I keep it sighted 3 inch high at 100 , puts it dead on at 300 ......
Slinger,
<br>
<br>Here's your data and the common misconception. You'll see though the 120X gives away BC.It starts with a trajectory edge and retains it to 750yds(16" trajectory advantage). It gives up 4" of wind drift at 750yds.
<br>
<br>NOW,put the 120gr V-Max in her,for Off Season practice and you'll be amazed at the versatility and effectiveness. Plus she's softer on the shoulder.
<br>
<br>There isn't an Elk,Deer or Bear,that can fend the 120gr X's punishment,to their anatomy. She's dynamite,in a small package. That's why it is my favorite 7mag load.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Food for thought....................
Stick,
<br>
<br>Do you have a way to produce retained velocity at each of those distances for each bullet?
<br>
<br>Point of curiosity...
<br>
<br>Bill
Since most of the animals I shoot are less than 250 yards, I can't tell the difference between the lighter bullets and the 175gr that cuts bullet holes touching at 100 yds. from my 20" barrel Mauser,(med heavy barrel). -- no
Stick , here's the way I look at it , and figured on Pointblank. I would sight either load for 300 . I don't use a rangefinder , but the max point blank method . With the 300 sighting , the 120 x will drop 7.6 inch at 400 . It will have retained velocity of 2180 and 1274 ft lbs at 600 .
<br>The 160 gr . will show a drop at 400 of 9.1 at 400 . A difference of 1.5 inch is why I said precious little difference at 400 . It will retain 2086 fps and 1546 ft lbs at 600 yards .
<br>
<br>If you use a range finder , and mil dots or turret adjustment , it seems to me the trajectory advange is somewhat moot . The 160 does have a bit less wind drift .
<br>
<br>I could cheat and specify a 160 gr boat tail at a b.c. of 0.550 HehHeh . But I've always used the flat base spitzer .
<br>
<br>Need One , I know what you are saying , but it's the slow season and we need something to argue about . (grin ).
<br>
<br>
I gotta rerun the data,less the wind drift,to get remaining velocity at each distance............
<br>
<br>
Slinger,
<br>
<br>I savvy what you are saying.
<br>
<br>Here is a more accurate comparison,with the same zero height,at 100yds. You'll have to grant me the 1/10th" advantage,but I tossed you a full 3/4" in the first excersize(grin).
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Ok this will allow a peek at velocity retention. Again,the edge,from start to finish is with the puny 120gr. Zeroed as identical as I can compute,at 100yds(1/10" difference),you see the advantage is clearly in the 120's court,for gents that are less rangefinders(and for guys that got 'em!).
<br>
<br>You gain 9" at 500yds and 20" at 750yds. I know someone is gonna scream energy,but you'd not like the X hitting you,even at a paltry 1862fps(though still faster than the 160,at that distance).
<br>
<br>So what I'm saying is,the 120's virtue is widely neglected. Fact is,FEW would even give it consideration. I've shot them in 7-08's,7RemMags and STW's as well. They will kill with more authority,than a heavier/slower bullet,of conventional design.
<br>
<br>It is a facet fully worthy of a second thought. The less I need to correct my trajectory,the more I like it. That of course,regardless of specific chambering. Again,that is a benefit of the X. You can drop a couple rungs on the "traditional" weight ladder,pick up some speed and have a new can of worms in your old wrapper.
<br>
<br>True that many will dismiss speed,lending a convincing hand in terminal effects(excepting those who've seen it dished out,via a superb bullet). I've got and shot,a whole slew of chamberings and I've found but one constant. A light for weight X,at warp speed is more impressive than any other way you could fathom,at crunching critters.
<br>
<br>Here endeth,the Sermon(grin)..................
OK , but----(chuckle) , the problem I see with the hyper speed loads , and using a point blank method , is your mid range trajectory height begins to get out of hand , BECAUSE of the high speed . Over the thirty years or so , I have found a mid range height of 4 inches or so to be perfectly acceptable . I know I'm splittin hairs here , but I think 5 inches or more would start to be a bit much .........
<br>
<br>I DO buy the concept of a fast hard bullet for shootin deer , and pronghorn too . That is exactly what the ol Speer and the big seven has been givin me . No deer has stopped one yet , and I get clean Elmer Keith silver dollar sized exit holes with little meat destruction , even under 100 yards . Knock on wood , so far all any critter has done is a back flip and the dog paddle . For deer size stuff , I can say that speed DOES kill , with or without fast bullet expansion ..............
<br>
<br>
Why did I know,you'd mention mid-range trajectory?(grin)
<br>
<br>I'm with you,on that. I never sight anything,over 3" high at 100yds. The 257Wby takes but 2" high,to yield a 300yd zero,I very much like that.
<br>
<br>Fast,"hard" bullets,will dazzle you across the board. They dig deep,smash bone,are easy on steaks and most always exit. Pretty hard not to favor that,as a recipe for success.
<br>
<br>Everybody has their own notion,on the "proper" way to do things. Proper for me,is fast and flat.
<br>
<br>The key is,to exactly understand the trajectory of the combo you are using. Few people pay it any attention and that gets them in trouble.
<br>
<br>I'll keep working on ya',maybe I'll be able to bring ya' around?!!?(grin)...................
Well , I will admit to eyeballing several really low priced .264 s I've seen on the used racks lately . I figure a 120 to 129 6.5 bullet at 3300 to 3400 will give you both the speed and high b.c. One might make a genuine 400 yard point blank rifle , or at least come about as close as anything can ............ a 95 gr V-max at around 3700 wouldn't look too bad for a far out song dog either .......
Slinger,
<br>
<br>This one suprised me. I'd never crunched numbers,using a 100yd zero. No you don't have any mid-range to hassle you.........(grin)
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
A short throated 6.5-284,based on a 700 short,wearing a #4 contour,25" long has been tugging at me. It's EXPRESS purpose,would be to launch 95gr V-Max...............
Stick,
<br>
<br>By nature, I have always been drawn to the fast and flat camp. Over the last couple years, or so, as I started to hunt elk I have wondered if this theory is the right way to go.
<br>Please understand that my questions are just that, questions in pursuit of some knowledge.That said, do you subscribe to the same thought when hunting larger, tougher game like elk or larger bodied bears? Can you still achieve "shoot through" performance and leave good blood trails?
<br>I have shot a bunch of deer over the years, but am just now pondering the pursuit of bigger bodied game. I have only one elk under my belt. I was leaning towards the larger diameter chamberings and am still questioning which avenue to take...
<br>
<br>Thanks,
<br>
<br>Bill
<br>
West,
<br>
<br>Placement first,projectile selection second,cartridge selection last.(my opinion all)
<br>
<br>The 120X on Elk? Yes and with authority. Same goes Black Bears. Brownies are a whole 'nother chapter,in an entirely seperate book and fully deserving of special attention.
<br>
<br>It is very difficult to keep an X bullet in ANYTHING. They just perform in a manner,that is associated with a bigger/heavier bullet. The new Barnes Manual,has blurbs about harvesting African Plains Game with the 45gr XLC,out of a K-Hornet. that included Zebra and exits were the norm. I've seen the tiny 85grXLC out of a 243Ackley,do things routinely,that defy description.
<br>
<br>I sent a couple guys some XP-100 7-08 footage,employing the 120X. They are an absolute sledgehammer and convincing in a manner,you can't describe. A pard laced one through the shoulders at 280yds. You could see the bullet impact behind him,striking the ground on his offside(going THROUGH him),dumping him in it's tracks. Their performance on Game is sooooo different,you can't compare it,to "regular" bullets. I'd love to be able to give a Scientific explanation,but can't.
<br>
<br>They got the MOJO going....................
Stick,
<br>
<br>One handgun combo I've wanted to try is the old school 30 Herret, in a 10" contender, but with the new school 110 gr X, with an estimated launch of 2400 fps. I don't know if the exit velocity is realistic, but my way of thinking, it would give the vaunted 6.5 JDJ a run for the $, as well as be in a 10" package as opposed to a 14" tube!
<br>
<br>I have the dies, and 500 thutty thutty cases to be modofied, just haven't sprung for a tube, but they go for a paltry $95, as nobody likes to trim brass, and it is an old and mostly forgotten round.
<br>
<br>Hmm, just might have to try it, great thing about contenders is you can move the used barrels for what you paid, or even turn a buck or two if lucky.
<br>
<br>Sorry for the tangent, but the light fast X bullet has been working on my noggin for awhile. The thing that most folks neglect when considering the "premium" bullets is, you can get the same penetration as a heavier conventional bullet, but add signifigant speed.
<br>
<br>You're tempting me to try a 225 gr X in the whelen ackley, but I don't know that it would buy anything over the 250 gr a-frame launched at 2700 fps.
Lott,
<br>
<br>Another buddy just got rid of his 30Herret,it was a 10". Had the holster,dies and a couple 100pcs of formed brass,plus bases/rings. He sold it for a measley $350! Again,to finance a rifle project(his second 243Ackley and it wasn't The Pimp).
<br>
<br>In a TC,the 300Whisper appeals to me. Brass is easy to make and it really does more than a casual glance,would reveal. A pard had one,in an M4,what a HOOT!!!
<br>
<br>Your 225X / 250A-frame debacle,is difficult for me to weigh-in on. You simply can't elevate velocities enough,to see a marked trajectory difference(I don't THINK,as I've never dabbled with that chambering). Both will dig plenty deep and deliver the goods. Plus you are working with significant weight to start with. The chances of pushing the A-frame fast enough,to tend to make it fail and sacrifice penetration,is damn slim at best.
<br>
<br>In a modest round,that produces sub 3000fps muzzle speeds,the X is very nice insurance of reaching vitals and breaking bones. Over that 3000fps threshold,I'm of the mind that it is nearly mandatory,to assure predictable results. Certainly at 3500fps,you'd best be 100% convinced of the performance of the projectile you are launching.
<br>
<br>Nice to have a single bullet,that will comfortably handle it ALL.................
<br>
<br>
Lott - Send me some of the bullets, and I'll run them through my 30 Herret TC . But only in the interest of science of course.[Linked Image][Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Mine wears a 12 5/8" barrel ( I bought the gun second hand, and some crazy Alaskan (and I mean that in the nicest possible sense) had cut the barrel down and parkerized the whole gun)
<br>
<br>I bet I could see over 2500 fps with 110 grainers. I base this on being able to do just about 2000 fps with 150 grainers. But with the standard TC throat, There's going to be something like .250"-.350" bullet jump.
<br>
<br>If you are really serious about the Herret, I think you would want to find a .30 carbine barrel, and have it re-chambered to .30 Herret. The factory chamber in mine pretty much sucks for accuracy. Overly large, with yards of freebore.
<br>
<br>There is a smith that speciaizes in TC rechambering. II can't remember his name off hand, but he participates on the Greybeard Outdoors forum. I'm tempted to have this barrel rechamberd by him to .307 Win, or something of the sort. I hate to lose the efficiency of the Herret, but I'd like a nice tight chamber that had a shorter throat.
<br>
<br>Scott
Stick, Slinger....thanx for weighing in on this thread. I've been a 7mag shooter for years (pushing 160's+)...and recently have been playing w/ the 140grainers (after your inspiration B.S. :-) ...cause I thought you touted that weight as optimal. I even bought a 7-08 to share bullets w/ the Big7...but now you are saying that 120X is THE way to go...and is BETTER than the 140X ???? ..or is it 120's for the 7-08 and 140's for the Big7 ? RE-22 in a 20" M7 tube? I thought I had a clear cut plan...but now ...hehhehe Sparkman
I prefer the XLC coating,because it is more durable than the moly I can do myself. I WISH Barnes would make a 120XLC,then I'd be in Heaven.
<br>
<br>The 140's are sensational,no doubt about it. They also lend comfort to guys who are of the more "traditional" mindset. A lot of guys would refute the notion of squirting the 120's at Game,cuz' they're itty-bitty(grin).
<br>
<br>Most accurate bullet in my barrel wins,if I'm torn on a decision. There is no "better" here,it's all personal preference.
<br>
<br>If I could snap my fingers and make a wish,it would be a Blue 120. I'd be quite content. Definately 120's,in a 20" 7-08(for me). Because you get some speed back,without sacrificing anything else.
<br>
<br>Now that I have you thoroughly confused,I'll run and hide................
Capt-e,
<br>
<br>You are thinking of Mike Bellm. He offers what he calls the lazy mans herret where he cuts the throat longer to use untrimmed 30-30 cases, and to clean up the factory throat.
<br>
<br>As far as crazy Alaskans, I refer to them as colorful characters, and this land wouldn't be the same without em.
<br>
<br>Thanks for the generous offer wink but I guess I'll have to cough up the $95 for a barrel and do the test myself. I got a 115 gr lee mold for my wifes 308, and it'll be a fun recoil less bullet for plinker loads in the herrett.
<br>
<br>I don't think one would get over 2500 w/ the 110's Original articles said they were getting 2400 w/ 125's, but based on my 357 Herret results, I'd tend to think they were either overly optomistic, or really pushed the pressures. I don't want a round that'll stretch the frame, and in that vein, the 300 whisper would be a better test bed, ifn' the barrels weren't so exspensive.
<br>
<br>Hmm, my buddy has a 9" 300 whisper, wonder if he'll let me borrow it to do some testing with 110 gr X bullets?
NOW you're talking! The 300WhisperX.....I like the sounds of that..............
Big Stick,
<br>I do love the 7mm Rem Mag. I just recieved one for christmas. It is a Savage model 110, i know its not the best looking gun but it shoots really well even with the cheap scope i have on it at the moment. Next year i will be taking it to New Brunswick on a Bear/Deer hunt. I cant wait to see what it will do.
<br>YH
Hi Stick. I'm not trying to knock the 7 Mag. But I think your figures are off a bit.
<br> Here's why. Those BC's, I believe, are suspect. Rick Jamison, while working with the 7 Ultra, found the BC's for the Barnes XCL 140's, and 160's to be as much as .080 off.
<br> Extrapolating, the 120 gr. XBT's BC comes out to about .331, not .411. The 160 gr. BT I used in the following calculations is the Sierra BT soft point. I used the figure for velocities 2800 fps. and under, .470. My computer program can't handle their velocity variation figures.
<br> So, the 120 gr. XBT @ 3500 fps., with a maximum Point Blank Range of 3 inches is -3 at 319 yds. -11 @ 400 yds., -27 @ 500 yds., and -50 @ 600 yds. Wind drift, with a 10 mph crosswind is: 319 yds. 8, 400 is 13.5, 500 is 22 and 600 is 34. BTW, this is very close to the .308 175 gr. Federal match load. Recoil, out of a 9 lb. rifle is 12 fps. , and 20.5 ft. lbs.
<br> The 160 gr. SRA BT @ 3100 is -3 at 298 yds. , -14 at 400 yds., -31 @ 500 yds. and -56 @ 600 yds. Wind drift is 6 @ 298 yds., 11 @ 400 yds., 17 @ 500, and 26 @ 600 yds. Recoil., out of a 9 lb. rifle is 12 fps. ,and 23.1 lbs.
<br> What's it all mean ? Well, using a target style long range system, your pretty close to one MOA, or click, off. On elevation, as well as windage. Recoil is favored by the light bullet load. Energy by the heavy bullet load.
<br> As always, the big difference is bullet quality. I'll bet money the 120 Barnes XBT will out penetrate the 160 gr. SRA BT. Particularly up close. No comparison. This is based on lots of experience with the 140 gr. Nosler Partitions, and SRA's 140 gr. offerings.
<br> I've got some 120 Barnes XBT's loaded for my .280. When I get the chance, I plan to visit my local tactical range and see if I can tell just how close these figures are.
<br> I suspect you and I both know that computer generated tables are fine, if fed the correct information. I can verify that the Sierra figures are accurate for their 175 gr. MatchKings at .308 velocities. I don't know about the others. E

<br>E,
<br>
<br>I've not read Rick Jamison's article,so I wont comment on it but I don't believe Barnes is "off" on their BC's.
<br>
<br>BC is not a static number. We could have nearly identical rifles,chambered for the same cartridge and shoot the same bullet but yet,one of our rifles might well shoot much flatter than the other.
<br>
<br>Sometimes,a particular bullet/load combo will work much better than it should and sometimes,much worse.
<br>
<br>This past summer I checked some loads at 300yds with my 338 Ultra. First load was 180gr BT @ nearly 3500fps sighted in 3" high at 100yds. It landed 4" low at 300yds and the groups really opened up. This was much worse actual BC than "Book" values.
<br>
<br>Second load was 200gr BT at 3373fps sighted 2.5" high at 100yds. This load landed 1.5" high at 300yds and shot very nice groups. This was much better than "Book" values.
<br>
<br>The only way to really know what's going on at long range is to shoot paper and see for yourself. The results often surprise you,sometimes a bunch!
<br>
<br>Good shooting...
I friggin hate boards that require a review of post before it shows up!!!, riggin friggin things, 1/2 the time I get distracted (actually do some work) and forget to hit the second approval. Yeah, I know I can unclick the preview post box, just venting pent up rage from shooters board.
<br>
<br>Anyhow, I talked to my buddy, and he offered the loan of the 9" whisper tube, a very, very accurate SSK barrel, that has matched 14" 30-30 book velocities. I like the .223 case head as one can run the pressures in the contender up w/o worry of stretching the frame, or seperating heads on thutty thutty brass. Only weakness of the contender, that it is a weak frame, if you use larger dia cases.
<br>
<br>Anyhow, I'll be testing 110 gr whisper's&X and let you know how it works, hopefully by the end of the month. I doubt they carry the little X's locally, but will call around.

<br>458 Lott,
<br>
<br>You can click on "Control Panel" and change it . Then you would have to click on preview,if you ever wanted to preview your post. Are you drinking a little tooo much coffee? (grin)
littlebit. I should have bought the magazine, and saved the article. I didn't.
<br> Sierra found that with some bullets, the BC's change quite a bit with velocity. Their famous 168 gr. .308 MatchKing is a case in point. It has 4 BC's. And shape is a funny thing too. Their 175 gr. MatchKing is a short nosed, uninspiring bullet. Yet, it flies beautifully, and out performs all their others in the .308, especially past 600 yds.
<br> BTW, Jamison found that the Swift Scirocco 150 gr. 7 mm bullet really did have a BC of .500 or so. E
E,
<br>
<br>I have the articl;e and of course had read it.
<br>
<br>Computer generated numbers are just a starting point,but I've found them EXTREMELY accurate. Without doubt,you calculate your rifle's trajectory,determine a 100yd zero and be on a piece of notebook paper at 500yds,with the predicted MOA elevation adjustment(assuming a sound rifle and scope).
<br>
<br>You are 100% on the money,one simply must confirm EVERY piece of ballistics/trajectory data,through each specific rifle at each specific range.
<br>
<br>That's part of the fun.................
<br>
<br>
Littlebit,
<br>
<br>Actually I think it is the lack of balistic therapy. The range was closed the month of Dec, and while it has been open as of last Wed, I have yet to put in a shooting session. I really should go tomorrow, will feel much better wink
Lott,
<br>
<br>I have some old manuals from when I started reloading, and there is definitely a difference between loads from the early manuals and loads from later manuals. In reverse of normal trends, the later manuals show heavier charges.
<br>
<br>In light of my experiences with my barrel, I speculate that early chambers were cut tight, with normal throats. People got in trouble trying to overdo the cartridge and or didn't watch wall thicknesses, and TC decided to go for looser chambers with gobs of freebore.
<br>
<br>It's based on my having such a generous chamber, plus the additional 2 5/8" of barrel that I feel that I can get over 2500 fps without any issues. Only time will tell of course, but (damn that!!) Big Stick and his Ecks bullets may have me re-visiting the Herret.
<br>
<br>Scott
<br>
<br>
Epic’er’er
Originally Posted by 16bore
Epic’er’er

+P, windowlicker.
I like 7 mags too, I have 5 of them. I like 140’s, but have wondered about loading the 120 Barnes.
W
<br>
T
<br>
F
<br>
Over
<br>
?
Yeah, If I wanted to dig up 20 year old posts to clutter up the campfire I could do it myself!!

Mike, India, Kilo, Echo
Must be a man-crush.

Pretty fuggin' annoying, whatever it is.
I still have a few boxes of these
Originally Posted by Big Stick
What a good invent! The 7mmRem mag and the 140XLC.........
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

Uuuuum, that’s shiit bc you always whine about... haha

Times ain’t that much different... HINT
I do love this Stick. I really do.
© 24hourcampfire