Home
Posted By: Texas99 Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/05/13

[Linked Image]

Actually, just went out to change camera cards and put out corn, had some chores to do around camp, when I finished I walked to my first pig pipe and found this gal. Shot was 50 yards, suppressed .44 magnum, 300gr Barnes "Buster" bullet. Shoulder shot, complete pass-through, DRT.
Posted By: Texas99 Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/05/13
She looks bigger hanging from the tractor!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/05/13
VERY nice! Sausage, anyone? grin

Ed
Sausage, and hams, and backstrap, and pulled pork (shoulder)!
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/05/13
And she didn't even hear the shot that killed her....hehehe
I've done some thinking about that, and I doubt any animal hears the shot that puts it down, if it is a kill shot - and wouldn't matter if they did. The important thing is that none of the other hogs nearby heard it. This was my first kill with the big Barnes bullet. It is the most accurate bullet out of my gun, but pretty much requires H110 and magnum primers, even at sub sonic velocity - 1070 fps with this load, so it's not as quiet as it could be through the suppressor. Normally I like a 335gr HCL from Montana Bullet Works. I use Universal and standard primers with those, and at about 1050 fps they are fairly quiet and penetrate like crazy.

(But I understand where you are coming from)
Posted By: geedubya Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/05/13
Originally Posted by Texas99
Sausage, and hams, and backstrap, and pulled pork (shoulder)!

Nice pig Doc

Good on ya Texas99.

Gotta luv pulled pork. I take the hinds smoke em' for a while,
[Linked Image]

and bone them out, make cilantro lime pulled pork.
[Linked Image]

Bed in onions, season, cook in the crockpot 8 to 10 hours.

Get an onion roll, top with cole slaw and the pulled pork. Or take the onions out of the pot, chop up some fresh cilantro and stir into Mayo for a spread. Add a cold beverage and you're cookin.

[Linked Image]

Makes one want to go out and kill more hoglets.

Best

GWB

Posted By: 79inpa Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/05/13
I heard that wild hog doesn't taste good. Is that just a lie to keep me from hunting hogs?
Posted By: Rolly Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/05/13
Mine tasted just fine but it was tough even after 4 hrs of cooking in a crock pot.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/05/13
Originally Posted by 79inpa
I heard that wild hog doesn't taste good. Is that just a lie to keep me from hunting hogs?

I can't speak as to motivation, but yeah, you've been misled. I've only killed a few, from 80-230 lbs, and all have been excellent eating.
Posted By: Texas99 Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/06/13
It's pretty much excellent, unless you do something to mess it up. I keep mine ice ice for as long as a week to get the blood out - drain water off each day, add more ice. A friend uses brine. I brine the hams to cure them, then smoke best ham I've ever had. Not as much fat IN THE MEAT on wild hogs, and no preservatives or growth hormones. Generally healthier. Fried backstrap is as good as venison, maybe better.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/06/13
Pretty much do the same. Wet age 5 to 8 days. Ribs, tenders, loins (backstraps) and shoulders.

Deep fried pork tenders. Take some corn totilla chips, and crush with a rolling pin. Add rolled and crushed chips to a pkg. or two of Pioneer peppered gravy mix, some black pepper, Tony Chacheries Creole Seasoning, garlic pepper for a coating.Cut your pork loin crossways into 1" to 1.5" strips.
Soak pork in Negra Modello for an hour or so and dip in coating mix. Get grease good and hot. Deep Fry. Serve with roasted corn and baked potato. Killer.

GWB
Posted By: stumpy Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/06/13
Thanks for sharing. That is a big, healthy sow. Lot easier to get out of the woods with that set-up!

I personally won't eat a boar, but a fat sow is my favorite wild meat this side of axis.
Not tough or gamey at all. Lean, clean and chemical free pork.

I am sure that some boars are OK to eat, but the rednecks have a test for a reason. The test is to cook a small piece of the meat before the entire cleaning process is started. If the meat stinks while cooking, cut your losses. Of course, YMMV.

stumpy
Posted By: rost495 Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/06/13
They ain't all great. If they stink when we walk up to them, like boar urine, then they get dumped.

I"ve done everything under the sun with those, and while they can eat well, and not be that tough, the odor you get from cooking, makes trying to swallow the meat damn near impossible.

Like Stumpy if it smells, its tossed.

BUT I"ve also had 200 plus pound boars that ate great and never smelled.

And we've had sows that were under 100 pounds tougher than leather even after aging a LONG time.

And boars as small as 80 that stunk up the kitchen. Even took one once and had a processor make hams... ate fine, stunk like crazy
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/06/13

Mike:

Don't think I've noticed this rifle before. What's the twist on that barrel?
Posted By: Texas99 Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/07/13
That's a 14", 1-14 twist .44 mag barrel, as near as I can tell by consulting with Mike Belim. Shoots the heavy bullets well, out to 75 yards - which is about the maximum killing range of a sub sonic .44 mag. Very accurate at that range, also. The suppressor is welded on, to make the total "barrel" length 19". It's a pig killer, plain and simple.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/07/13

That's the kind of rig that makes me go "hmmmm."
Posted By: pointer Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/07/13
Originally Posted by tjm10025

That's the kind of rig that makes me go "hmmmm."
If legal here in Indiana it would make for a great deer getter in a more developed area. I know I'd like one! Now to get the state to OK suppressors... frown

I think it's just a matter of convincing folks that they're green and sustainable.
Posted By: pointer Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/07/13
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I think it's just a matter of convincing folks that they're green and sustainable.
For some odd reason that seems to be a good selling tactic in these parts...
Posted By: Texas99 Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/07/13
The suppressor is made from titanium, so it is pretty sustainable! The "noise pollution" angle might be a good one to try. I will deer hunt with it, also - now that it is legal here. I have neighbors fairly close, and seldom have/take a shot longer than 75 yards on my property.

Checking into the oil filter suppressor system. Still need the federal tax stamp, but the adaptor costs $80, oil filer what - $5? David White told me he had one coated with plastic bed liner than was as quiet as a $1,000 suppressor. I just need to figure out how to sight over the oil filter - or find a real skinny one.

Tall scope mounts.
Posted By: Texas99 Re: Afternoon Hog Hunt - 05/08/13
Maybe REAL tall? I have high mounts on my .44 to see over that suppressor, and it's svelte compared to an oil filter.
© 24hourcampfire