Home
Posted By: Huntr Successful Dall sheep hunt... - 08/17/13
Just got back from hunting with Max Schwab for Dall sheep. Tough is the most common word used to describe sheep hunting and I would have to completely agree! But, it was a complete blast and I hope to repeat again someday.

Day 1- I was flown via Super Cub from Healy to base camp. It was my first time in a Super Cub and it was smply spectacular! Spent the rest of the day killing time as all hunters/guides were flown in and we got to know each other. Also made sure the rifles survived the travel and were still shooting where we wanted. My GAP 260 was spot on, 1 shot to confirm and I was ready to hunt! We spent the evening grassing sheep right from base camp. A great day for sure.

Day 2 dawned and the mood changed as we (the 3 hunters) were chomping at the bit to go! A final sort of gear and food and we were on our way. We covered the first 5 miles with one of the other hunters before stopping to have a quick rest. After that my guide and I headed STRAIGHT up while the other hunter and guide continued up the creek to a different drainage. The walking was brutal as we picked our way up a very steep drainage. After a couple of miles we decided to camp there for the night, I must confess I was pretty spent.
Heading into sheep country!
[Linked Image]
First nights bivy-
[Linked Image]

Day 3-
A day spent climbing, and I do mean climbing! Brutal day, however it was made up for by amazing views and sheep, lots of sheep!
Bivy spot- aka a room with a view...
[Linked Image]
My guide glassing-
[Linked Image]
Day 4-
The day dawned noticeably colder with threatening clouds. A plan was quickly made over coffee and candy bars to climb up through the pass and go kill a sheep! Less than an hour later we were grassing 5 rams ( the group later became 16 rams). We decided to back out and work our way around the back of the pass to keep them from seeing us and continue to glass for more rams before we made up our mind. Nothing else peaked our interest so we decided to come up with a plan to kill the largest of this band. My guide knew one ram was a shooter, and there might be a couple others worth a closer look.
View of the rams-
[Linked Image]
Mother Nature decided to unleash on us at this point as it began to rain, sleet and the wind howled! Did I mention it was windy? wink Wewere having a hard time coming up with an approach as there was virtually nothing to conceal us to allow us to get closer. Then, suddenly fog began to roll through with the heavy wind and we decided to use it to creep to a rocky outcropping that we thought would get us closer to shooting range. Midway through the sneak in the fog, the fog lifted and the rain picked up. We simply sat down and remained nearly motionless for about 2 hours. We were both shivering uncontrollably at this point and decided we had to do something. Fortunately rams started to feed down so we were able to close in without being detected to the rocks. By now it was 6pm and we had been on the rams since 9am, freezing and starving we kept an eye on the rams and made a Mountain House to get some much needed energy and warmth into our bodies. As soon as we finished eating the rams began to move TO us! I couldn't believe it! I was literally hanging off of a rocky cliff trying to position for the shot, while shivering uncontrollably. Finally the rams hit the 300 yard mark and we determined I was going to have to shoot the heavy double broomed ram that we had first seen that morning,however, at that point I could care less as this would be my first ram! He finally separated himself from the others and I fired (GAP 260/123gr Scenar) only to hear my guide say "you missed"! I was shocked, jacked another round in and did the exact same thing, this time however I saw the bullet impact and realized I was shooting over the ram on the extreme downhill shot! I chambered another round, turned the turret back to zero and dropped the ram in his tracks ( later we found out the rangefinder was not adjusting for the angle, only giving true yards). Then my guide and I began our high fives and began to work our way down to the ram (it was 10pm now). I asked my guide for a few minutes as I had so much to be thankful for I had to stop and give thanks..
.[Linked Image]

[img]http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l463/Huntr7X57/image_zps51937914.jpg[/img]
We aged him at 9 years, which Game and Fish confirmed and he had 13 inch bases and heavily broomed on both sides. I still couldn't be happier with him!

We finished up with the meat and caping and it was midnight. I was starving but we were both to tired to make another Mountain House. We kicked out just enough rocks to set up our bivy s and crashed.
A pic of where I crashed from the next morning-
[img]http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l463/Huntr7X57/image_zps545543fc.jpg[/img]

Day 5-
I began to smell smoke overnight and awoke to very heavy smoke from forest fires obscuring the mountains and was even more thankful for my ram as it would have been impossible to glass- the smoke stayed all the way up to when I left. An early morning respite is all that allowed the outfitter to get me out of camp and fly me back to Healy.

We ate and ate that morning, loaded our packs and took off. 13 hours later we made it to basecamp. At least they told me it was basecamp, I am not sure as i am certain I was hallucinating after carrying an 85-90lb pack for 13 hours!!! smile

Truly a trip of a lifetime, however, I do kinda feel like I have some unfinished business in the sheep mountains, just think I will wait to tell my wife...

Thanks for sharing... and congratulations!!
Damn you anyway, I'll never sleep tonite.

Now that your done with my rifle, get it shipped back this way, savvy?

Regarding the misses, I can relate... whistle

Glad you enjoyed, sounds like your brain is already scheming, I can relate there too.
Congrats.. that's just plain awesome...
Congrats and I really enjoyed the story.
Posted By: anie Re: Successful Dall sheep hunt... - 08/17/13
Congrats huntr, that's some tough country, hunted the yanert drainage east of Healy last August, it's always more physical than u think it will b!
Congratulations, that's pretty cool right there.
Posted By: SLM Re: Successful Dall sheep hunt... - 08/17/13
Awesome. ....Congrats and thanks for sharing.
That's my boy!
The smoke and heat continue with no respite predicted.
Was wondering when the sheep reports would start flowing, nice ram... Congrats...
Congrats! That is one awesom looking ram!
Congrats! (and be very happy you didn't wait until "someday". It won't get easier!.......says a guy who, barring stainless steel knees someday, won't likely ever.... grin )
Wow, looks like your hunt had it all. Thanks for the great write up and congrats to you.
Well done and great write up.

Please post more pics if you have them.
Looks like a hunt to remember! I'd love to do the same some day!
Posted By: CLB Re: Successful Dall sheep hunt... - 08/17/13
Congratulations! Looks like an amazing hunt for sure.
Congratulations on a great trophy! Thanks for sharing the pictures and story of your hunt.
Huntr,
Congrats!
Great story. Congrats on the sheep.
Posted By: GRF Re: Successful Dall sheep hunt... - 08/17/13
Great story great pictures you did a very good job of giving the feel of the adventure. Thanks
That looks really hard core.
Congrats to you - that sure looks like a nice ram & one to be proud of. Well earned:) Thanks for the great pics & story.

Very well done Chip!

Thanks for the writeup and pictures.

I hope to do that someday.
Damn! Great going!! Thanks for the post and pictures, congrats to you-beautiful ram.
Nice ram, memories to last a lifetime. Conglads, Bob
Beautiful ram!

Congrats on an excellent hunt.

FC
Looks like a great adventure and hunt. Congrats.
Thanks for the report. Reading these is as close to Dall sheep hunting as I am likely to ever come.
Congratulation, nice sheep.
Are you going to do a full body mount or a shoulder mount on that great ram?!?!?
Some more pics-
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And then, the greatest reward of all, sheep tenderloins back at base camp. Best meal ever!

[Linked Image]
Amazing country!
[Linked Image]
Did you need my address to return the rifle?

How about that meat? My favorite. You bring some back home?
Ha! You just need to call GAP tomorrow and order one for yourself! wink

Truly awesome meat! I brought it all home! No way I was leaving that behind.
My most sincere congratulation, Chip. I was pulling for you the whole time you were up there. Excellent write up, and now you have memories that you'll never forget!

That first climb going after them--before you've acclimated--is a killer...aint it?

Man, brings back some memories, as I'm looking at mine right now. Congrats again Chip!!!
Awesome... My absolute dream hunt.
Incredible ram and adventure! Congrats! I am with Tanner...my dream hunt also!
Great hunt and pics!
Congratulations on an adventure of a lifetime and thanks for sharing it with us.

Hunt reports like yours are likely as close to a sheep hunt as I will ever get. I have a bad left leg and some back issues that would never hold up in that beautiful rough sheep country.
Awesome story. Need to start saving up now...
Posted By: Shag Re: Successful Dall sheep hunt... - 08/19/13
Hell I usually require a couple shots to settle down too!! Those tenderloins look orgazmic! smile I gotz a couple questions.

How'd you like the Scenar performance?(i know it's dead. duh) smile
Your bag and bivy combo please and were you please with the combo?
Wild guess here. Stone glaicer gators????

Last but no least. Brand of trecking poles and did they survive?
Oh yea! Pack?

Thanks and congrats! Best story I've read in a very long time! Thanks for the story and pic's! Beautiful ram!!!
Thanks for sharing Chip. Great trip!
Great story & Ram,Did the 123 Scenar exit the Ram?
Thanks,RS
Chip,

Congrats on a great hunt.
I enjoyed talking with you prior to the hunt.
Savor the moment for as long as possible!
Great ram! The pics are inspiring, thanks for sharing.
Well done, man!!!!!!!
Congrats!
Congratulations on a trophy! Thanks for the story.
Really enjoyed the write up and congrats on the Ram.

Sounds like a blast.
Posted By: las Re: Successful Dall sheep hunt... - 08/21/13
Wood, Healy, Yanert, Coal, Dean.

Them's some fine drainages. They're older than I am, tho not by much. I'm going to have to try them again ( three times isn't enough!) once I'm out of Kotz- preferably with an unlimited schedule.. I'm losing steps, year by year- and the hell with "getting in shape"... I'll sneak up on 'em slow-like...

Congratulations on a VERY nice sheep. You certainly earned it!

Some years ago, my brother and I were crossing a shallow pass between Coal and Healy creeks, each of us with a full sheep (dressed out, bone in) in our packs. For about 200 yards right at the top, we had to stay on our hands and knees, as the wind, via the Venturi Effect, would have blown us away had we been standing.

Both our full-curl rams, by the way, ran about 30 inches at 8 years of age.

Someone has to shoot those culls! Besides, they all hunt and eat the same... smile

It doesn't get any better than sheep hunting!

Congratulations on a well earned trophy! Beautiful. Incidentally WTF is a "I fired (GAP 260/123gr Scenar)"?
Congratulations, thanks for the story and photos. That last bivy looked a little lumpy, LOL.

Jorge, GAP .260 is the rifle (G.A. Precision) and the bullet was a 123 grain Lapua Scenar.
Sir, please allow me...

... The rams finally seperated and I fired. I was shooting my GAP .260 with 123 gr. Scenar bullets.

Trusting to having cleared this up, I have but to thank the OP for a tall tale told well and retreat back to my corner; nursing my sick sole stuck to the PC, where I should be not far from the place his story was set right now.

Sorry for the confusion Jorge!

I used a GAP 260 and a 123 gr Scenar bullet to kill the ram.
Congrats! I'm extremely jealous. Dall Hunting has always been a dream of mine. I almost pulled the trigger on a deal a few years ago but second guessed myself. I wish now I would have done it. May never have a chance again with this economy.

I too would like a gear list, and your ratings on each item.. Pack, Boots, treking poles, bivy, pad, gators, etc.

Congrats again!
Quick rundown on my gear.

Kuiu-
Attack pants are the bomb! I have been using them since they first came out.
Chugach rain gear worked awesome
Merino long sleeve tops- mixed review from me on cut and smell. They definitely have a wet dog smell when wet. My Smartwool micro weight T shirt was more comfortable and didn't smell
Minus 33 boxers and base layer bottoms- the best for the money IMO.
Kuiu Super Down Hooded Jacket- easily one of my favorite pieces of gear. Amazingly warm and light.
Kuiu Guide gloves- hardly wore them but they are very nice. Mostly just wore Smartwool wool liner gloves, my favorite unless it starts getting really wet.
Kuiu gaiters- worked great, the new ones supposedly breathe much better.

Socks- Smartwool, enough said.

Boots- Hanwag Alaska GTX. By far the most comfortable boot I have ever owned.

Pack- Stone Glacier Terminus. Love this pack!

Pad-Thermarest Neo Air. Worked awesome! Even in the rocks. wink

Sleeping bag- Stoic Somnus 30 degree down bag. I really gambled on this as it is down but I am so glad I took it! 1.5lbs and kept me warm the whole time. Love this bag!

Bivy bag- Outdoor Research. The guide handed it to me when I showed him my gear as I had brought a MSR Hubba tent, but he assured me there would be slim chance of finding a decent place to pitch a tent.... And he was right! Would have preferred a tent, but it worked!

Optics- my Zeiss Classic 10X's still get it done, no complaints!
Leupold RX 1000i rangefinder
I did try the new Kuiu bino harness and really liked it. No more bouncing bino's!

Rifle- GAP Non-Typical in 260 Rem. I loaded 123 gr Lapua Scenar's over 39.0gr's of Varget @ 2900fps. Awesome rifle!
Leupold 3.5-10 with M1 turret- love it!

Trekking poles- Black Diamond carbon. Hate them except for when it is time to come out with a loaded pack.

Sawyer water bottle with built in filter, used it the whole time, even when we scooped some sketchy water. No problems. Another piece of gear I loved.
Havalon knives rock

Sea to Summit eVent stuff sacks... Rock!

Thanks!
Wow, thanks for the write-up and the gear run down. Great report and memories for a lifetime!
Don
Congrats on a great hunt and wonderful trophy! And a special thanks for all the extra pictures and gear run-down.

While I hear some African game and exotics are good eating, I'm with you on those tenderloins! Especially after a few, or quite a few hard days!

Bob
Definitely you earned your ram. A double broomer is as fine a N.A. trophy as you can get! Sheep hunting will become a fixation with all other pursuits a distant second. It is almost impossible to train for unless you live in that kind of country.
It is a noble animal and anyone who can put one on the wall knows they have touched one of Gods greatest creations.
Huntr,

Congratulations on a fine, fine ram grin and bringing back memories of my hunt in the same area four years ago!! Is Curtis still guiding for Max? How is Max? I loved the experience and that country!

PennDog
© 24hourcampfire