Home
Posted By: thumbcocker Danner vs red wing - 09/28/13
I'm in the market for a new pair of hunting boots. I have been looking at danner santiam's and red wing model 815. Any input as to why one would be better than the other, or would either one be o.k.
Posted By: mtmuley Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/29/13
I'm on my second pair of Irish Setter Elk Hunters. The first pair was worn for years then re-soled. You couldn't give me a Danner boot. mtmuley
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/29/13
I'm in the Irish Setter camp also. Taking a pair of 3858 Shadow Treks to WY in 2 days.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/29/13
I dont know about their hunting boots, but Redwing work boots suck. Danner's last much longer and are much more comfortable for me.
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/29/13
I have a narrow foot. 11.5B Redwing used to make a true narrow but the last couple of pairs I've bought felt like more of a medium width. Danner's come in a true B width and are the most comfortable boots I've personally ever worn.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/29/13
I have been wearing Redwing work boots for 10 or 12 years now. I get 2 to 3 years a pair from them in a machine shop. No complaints. I was ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers this fall. Nice boot. The fit was above average @ 10 EE. While shopping price on those I found another Danner on clearance and ended up with them. All my hunting boots at the moment are Danner. Bought them all on clearance. Bear in mind these are the Chinese Danners. I'd love for all 3 pair to be the U.S. made stuff,but can't swing them. I can't complain about them though. Comfortable and the Gor Tex seems to hold up well enough. A lot of reviews damn them for leaking. I've never had them leak. Had I not run across these on sale,I would be sporting a pair of Elk Trackers. Nice boot for under $200.00
Posted By: bwinters Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/29/13
Have only had a single pair of Red Wing's but have had 5-6 pairs of Danners. I'll take Danners all day long. Also in full disclosure, I've never owned a pair of foreign Danners. Everyone I've ever had has been american made. I've seen the cheaper Danner's fail - sole blowout and leaks. Spend the money on american made Danners and you won't regret it.

One word of caution - if you have a fat foot, Danner's likely are not going to fit. If you have a medium to narrow foot, you're in business.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/29/13
You might take a look at Cabelas lightweight hunters by Meindl I have danners and hanwag boots but the cabelas LWH are the most comfortable shoe I own they are pretty rugged also I have put many miles on them the last couple years !
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/29/13
Used to be a Danner fan but Belleville Boot will get my money from now on.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/29/13
Not a fan of either one. I like Meindl.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/30/13
Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Waders Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/30/13
I'll also chime in against foreign-made Danners. You pay the "Danners price" for a boot that is no better than anything else available for less. I have tried a lot of boots in the $125-$150 range and have found that Irish Setters are my favorite.

I have tried a few pairs of more expensive boots as well (+/-$300), and they all leak eventually. So it comes down to comfort. American-made Danners are OK, but again, not so good as to justify the price. Meindls are heavy/clunky.

Since I am a day hunter and am home each night, I just rotate through several pairs of boots that are comfortable. That's the key for me. If something is going to hurt at the end of the day, it's NOT going to be my feet! Irish Setters and Rocky have worked well for me.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/30/13
Before you cuss either one, consider this. ALL boots made with glue-on soles are made offshore because the EPA outlawed the glue used to make them. The only boots that can be made in the US have sewn-on soles.
Posted By: wageslave Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/30/13
I was a Danner man.
My foreign Danners leak. Very comfortable for dry hunting... grin
I'm on my second season with the Kenetrek Mtn. Extremes.
My feet have not felt water since.
Like good glass, you can buy once and be happy or.....not.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/30/13
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Before you cuss either one, consider this. ALL boots made with glue-on soles are made offshore because the EPA outlawed the glue used to make them. The only boots that can be made in the US have sewn-on soles.

The GI issue Belleville Mountain Boot is Berry Ammendment compliant/US made. It has a glued rand.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Danner vs red wing - 09/30/13
What's wrong with glued on?
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Danner vs red wing - 10/01/13
I've worn red wings for years. Mostly steel toes for work. I get years out of them. Model 4418 in winter and 2218 in summer. I was looking at the model 815.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Danner vs red wing - 10/01/13
Originally Posted by wageslave
I was a Danner man.

Those will be my next pair, just am going to have to go through the ship it, try it, ship it back if it doesn't fit stage.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Danner vs red wing - 10/01/13
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

The GI issue Belleville Mountain Boot is Berry Ammendment compliant/US made. It has a glued rand.
My info came from a Danner sales rep several years ago. Maybe they have a new glue that the EPA will approve.
Posted By: win7stw Re: Danner vs red wing - 10/01/13
Love my Danner Super Rain Forest work boots. But for hunting take a look at Crispi's.
Posted By: RickcNY Re: Danner vs red wing - 10/01/13
I've worn red wing for years and love em,never had a pair of danners on
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Danner vs red wing - 10/01/13
neither...
Posted By: pointer Re: Danner vs red wing - 10/01/13
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by wageslave
I was a Danner man.

Those will be my next pair, just am going to have to go through the ship it, try it, ship it back if it doesn't fit stage.
What size do you wear? Mine are 11.5 or 12 (I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look right now) If it's close enough you could try on mine and see if the fit is even close. My suggestion is to buy a pair of aftermarket insoles with the order. IMO, the ones that come with the boot SUCK.
Posted By: LeroyJenkins Re: Danner vs red wing - 10/01/13
Have danner boots; love em'

I've had wet feet a few times but it was my own damn fault. Not much you can do when you fall in hip deep water

Though my 'new' danner boots pale in comparison to my dads 'older-than-me' leather stitched sole pair. Those [bleep] couldn't be stopped by a raped ape.
Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: Danner vs red wing - 10/01/13
I have 2 pairs each of both high top leather stitched soled Danners and U.S. made Red Wings. All of them are either on their second or third set of resoles.
Of the OPs 2 choices I personally prefer the Red Wings because they have a broader range of widths, toe boxes and arch lengths and getting free new laces, and reconditioning/oiling is a after sale plus.
Having said that I don't use either to hunt in..... not enough ankle support for my taste when side hilling or going up and down mountains all day. My hunting boots are fit differently than my daily driver boots too, unless you enjoy sore toe ends and heel blisters. I use Lowa Tibets currently and have enjoyed the Meindl's mentioned earlier.
I also agree with the earlier comment equating good boots to good glass, you got to wear them all day on a trip from dawn til dark...... You might as well enjoy them and get a quality pair. My Lowas on on their 6th season now and still work like a champ with no leaks. If you amortize the cost of good boots out over a number of seasons the annual cost/value is pretty cheap.
That's JMHO and YMMV,
BD
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Danner vs red wing - 10/02/13
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
If you amortize the cost of good boots out over a number of seasons the annual cost/value is pretty cheap.
BD

Schit! That's how I justify ALL my hunting gear purchases! laugh

As to the OP, I've blown through the foreign Danners so fast at work I wouldn't give them a dime anymore. Absolute schit, especially for the price.

Might have to try some of the other brands mentioned here...
Posted By: Berettaman Re: Danner vs red wing - 10/04/13
I have had both and you couldnt give me a pair of Irish Setters. They completely fell apart from just about every seem in about a year.

as stated, USA Danners are better than the foreign jobs, but all are pretty good. Schnees get my vote for the next serious boot that I will buy.
© 24hourcampfire