Home
Posted By: valad Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
What do you think of buying boots from Cabelas? I am looking for hunting boots but not for hunting high altitudes like the Rockies. I am asking because I am heading home for Thanksgiving and want to stop at Cabelas to try on their boots since I rather try on what I can buy.

My feet seem to get cold if I sit for 30 minutes or less and sometimes sweat. I figure I was in line to get a better pair of boots. How much thinsulate is too much? I prefer to get the Gore tex boots also. Thinking of the Meindl's for my use but are there other comparables?
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
You can get a pretty good pair of boots at Cabelas, Meindl's might be a good choice depending on your fit and purpose,I personally am pretty comfortable with 200-400 grams of Thinsulate but I spend alot of time walking!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
I really like the Meindl boots at Cabelas. I recommend you fit them as they are not true to size. Thinsulate comes in increments of 200 grams. I've been told that each increment of 200gm equals 1 pair of heavy wool socks.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
Never heard the size being wrong with Meindl's before? My normal size is 13, and that's what my Meindl's are. Good fit.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
Whats the intended use? Lots of walking or lots of sitting?

Dad's got the Perfekt Hunters and the Perfekt Hikers. He bought the hikers for hiking, but said they're so comfortable that he wears them every day to work as well. Said the Hunters are good boots, but too much boot for a ton of walking in the pheasant fields.

I think I'm going to try the Meindl Ultralights for an upland boot, if I weren't boot poor as it is right now.
I have the Perfekt Hunters. They're 7 years old, and I wear them for hunting, scouting, and everyday wear 365 days a year. I can't wear them suckers out. I'm just now thinking of getting them resoled. I still even have the original laces. Best investment I ever made.
Posted By: rflshtr Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
I made the mistake of buying the Cabela's brand of hunting boots. Not the brand name boots already mentioned that they sell, but the general purpose upland game type of boot with their name on them. Worst boots ever. Sizes are inconsistent and there is no ankle support compared to other boots such as Irish Setter or Red Wing or better brands. I would never buy another pair of Cabelas' branded boots. The branded mountain style hunting boots or hiking boots might be better.

For my feet and style of walking and hunting, the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme ,either insulated or uninsulated, are the best and well worth the extra cost. Footwear is such an individual thing you are wise to try them on.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
Really like the Meindl Lite hiker for general wear, uninsulated so take that into account for hunting use.
Haven't put an awful lot of wear on the perfect hunters even though they are 5 years old or so. Had a bad injury during that time that kept me out of the hills for a while. They are pretty stiff, made for the high rough country, but work real well on mountain hunts.
Posted By: valad Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
Thanks for bringing up the Perfekt Hunters and the Perfekt Hikers. I thought I only saw the Hunters. I do a mix of walking and sitting as it is in the eastern woods and I know out west folks probably walk a lot more. My intention with this post was someone mention that Meindl's are not what they were back in the days but its still the same company right? And another reason to bring this up is I do not want to pick a boot that is exclusively for walking when I do not walk all day. I will check this out at Cabelas (WV) when I drive home and see how they fit. Boot stores are far from here so this is what I plan to do on my way home. (Hate getting cold feet when hunting so this is a primary reason also...thinking of the 400 gram thinsulate and gore-tex.)
I've walked all day in a foot of snow with the Meindl's, and never got cold feet. I don't seem to get cold feet though, so maybe i'm not a good example.

Always stayed dry too.
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
Never used the Perfekts, I wear a pair of their "Mountain Hiker Light" hikers most of the time. Goretex/non ins and stay warm if I'm moving around. Snow or treestand hunting I wear 400 gram pac boots. I have another pair that are heavier pacs for late season/super cold (<10deg) treestand hunts, (that metal sucks the heat right out of your feet) otherwise I wear the hikers and good socks. No quality issues with Cabela's products here, although I might replace my pacs with Kenetrek or Schnee's pacs someday.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
The cabelas Meindl boots are good boots. In my opinion, they are not as good as the boots Meindl sells with just their name on it. Having had several of both, I would only by boots from Meindl if I wanted a boot made by them.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
Near all of their boots are molded imports. Get some Whites that will last forever and can be rebuilt.
Posted By: setch Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
It's unclear how much walking vs. sitting you will do, but it sounds like more sitting than walking as your feet get cold in less than an hour. The miendels are really suited for lots of walking/hiking...very active hunting. I would suggest that whatever you buy be sized a bit on the large side so as to allow your feet plenty of room to circulate and stay warm. I think the meindels go up to maybe 400g of thinsulate. Based on your feet getting cold, you should also try some on that are in the 600-800g range and for that, I'd suggest some danners (maybe the pronghorns or the high grounds).

Whatever you buy, do not go cheap. Especially with hunting boots, you get what you pay for.
Posted By: txhunter58 Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
The Cabelas Mendles mentioned will serve you well. However, be sure and buy only the ones made in Germany. If the description says made in Germany, you are good to go. If it says "imported" don't buy them
Posted By: bwinters Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
Originally Posted by setch
It's unclear how much walking vs. sitting you will do, but it sounds like more sitting than walking as your feet get cold in less than an hour. The miendels are really suited for lots of walking/hiking...very active hunting. I would suggest that whatever you buy be sized a bit on the large side so as to allow your feet plenty of room to circulate and stay warm. I think the meindels go up to maybe 400g of thinsulate. Based on your feet getting cold, you should also try some on that are in the 600-800g range and for that, I'd suggest some danners (maybe the pronghorns or the high grounds).

Whatever you buy, do not go cheap. Especially with hunting boots, you get what you pay for.

Good post here. I wear 400 grams thinsulite when I'm still hunting or have a lot of hiking. I can sit with 400 grams for 2-3 hours before my feet get cold. I use Cabelas, made by Danner, Elk Hunters with 400 gram thinsulite. I think they've quit making them but they are stitched down sole and capable of being re-built by Danner. Love the Danner bob sole.

When I sit, I have a pair of Rocky 1000 gram Bearclaws. Rocky boots fit me well but they don't last - at least for me. I can burn through a pair of Rockys in less than 2 years. Mine have lasted 5-6 years because I don't wear them often and only to sit.

On Danners, only buy the american made Danners. The imports have issues, notably leaking and durability. Real american made Danners are a well made boot but are a bit pricey. I'm on my third pair in the last 15 years. As long as the quality and air bob sole continues, I'll keep buying them.

I've never owned the Meindl Prefect series but have tried them on several times. If Danner ever changes, I'll go to Meindl's.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
Hanwag's would be another great choice but they cost a little more!
I did some research, and it seems some Meindl boots are made in Asia.

The Perfekt isn't one of them.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
I've had terrible luck with the Cabelas Meindl boots and will never own another pair. Look into the LaCrosse Areo Head boots or one of their insulated rubber knee high boots. My next boot purchase will be a pair of LaCrosse for hunting in swamps and tundra type terrain. My Lowa Sheephunters are still going strong after 6 years of hard use.
Posted By: blancocounty Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
I bought the Perfekt Hiker because I do not hunt in snow or extremely cold weather and they are uninsulated. However, their soles, unlike the Hunter, are a molded sole that is soft, to grip well, and wears down really fast. The boots are very comfortable but the soles wear out fast and the boot cannot be resoled. The boot is too expensive to tolerate this.

I have some Danner Pronghorns, uninsulated, made in the US. I've had very good use from them.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/30/13
I've had great luck with Meindls. I rotate three different pairs according to temperature.
Posted By: tzone Re: Cabelas boots? - 10/31/13
Originally Posted by valad

My feet seem to get cold if I sit for 30 minutes or less and sometimes sweat.

Mine used to as well. I did a few things from the suggestion of folks here on the campfire... Use spray-on or a stick anti-persprint and GOOD socks.

It made a world of difference. I use Smart-wool socks or plain wool if it's real cold. I rarely wear my heavy pac style boots anymore.
Posted By: smokeeter Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/01/13
I had a pair of Cabelas /Meindl boots and although they fit good and were very comfortable the boots fell apart. These didn't get used much and spent more time in the closet than in the field. They were never exposed to any sort of chemical either, just hunted with.
I first contacted Meindl and they advised me that since they were Cabelas brand that Cabelas was responsible for any warranty and FYI. any item with Cabelas name on it is lifetime warranty which was good. The bad thing is they didn't credit me the full amount and I couldn't get a replacement pair ( new model) for the refunded amount. I settled for a pair of their Outfitter series Pro Hunting boots and I'm very pleased so far.
Here are a few pics of the Meindl/Cableas.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/01/13
I have an older pair of Guide boots, the 12" high ones. While they're warm and waterproof, they're a bugger to get on. The problem is that they made the tongue gussets too narrow and I can't open the ankle wide enough to get my foot in without pulling my socks up to my crotch. My toes are always curled up in them.
I wouldn't go with the 12" ones again either. My pants are always hung up on the tops.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/01/13
smokeeter...............I'm going to guess those are an Asian made version. I think if someone is going to buy a Cabelas Meindl boot that you get the Perfekt model.

Mine are 7 years old, and I have a gazillion miles on them with none of what you show in those pictures. The construction on mine is still as good as new. I feel with new soles I can get another 7 years.
Posted By: PPosey Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/01/13
I have had 2 pairs of Meindls do the exact same thing,,,,, one is at Cabelas now and I am waiting to hear from them, how I am treated will decide what boots I buy. The uppers wear like Iron and I really like how they fit and feel but the sole doing that is not exceptable.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/01/13
Lots of different boots at Cabelas obviously, so look online at what they carry and google a few reviews plus take the advice you've gotten here.

My feet get cold and they can also get clammy. Personally I can wear 800g boots for 80% of what I need a pair of hunting boots for.
Those boots are a pair of Irish Setters that fit my feet well and have held up very well. Probably 7 or so years old now and last year while in Scotland they did leak. Still using them this year for archery hunting, but bought a pair of replacement Kennetrek extremes to try out.

If I'm going to be hoofing it for miles at a time, then I choose a pair of non-insulated boots and when all I'm going to be doing is walking a short distance and it's cold I've got some 1600g boots.
Posted By: efw Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/01/13
Oh yeah I think Cabela's is a great place to shop boots. The Meindl models discussed thus far are great, but Danners are awesome too. Most important is fit and each brand/model has a little different feel, even within the same size designation.

The heaviest boots I have are 400 gram and they do fine by me all year round. For exceptional cold I use Arctic Shield boot blankets that are INCREDIBLE. For general walking around I like uninsulated or 200 gr, choosing to regulate foot temp w/ socks instead.
Posted By: setch Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/02/13
Originally Posted by smokeeter
I first contacted Meindl and they advised me that since they were Cabelas brand that Cabelas was responsible for any warranty and FYI. any item with Cabelas name on it is lifetime warranty which was good. The bad thing is they didn't credit me the full amount and I couldn't get a replacement pair ( new model) for the refunded amount.

...and this is why not to buy from Cabela's, sub-par warranty that is not actually a full warranty, but is just mis-leading
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/02/13
Just so you can compare. Here's my 7 year old Perfekt that I wear daily with too many miles on them to count. Construction is still perfect, and are ready for a resole.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: valad Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/02/13
I stopped at my LGS while out driving today and saw they had the Danner Pronghorns for $199 and it was 200g thinsulate. Looked online and some reviews state they leak water when not supposed to. Said the test is to stand in ankle high bath water to see if they leak. Looked on the Danner site and saw no where stating where this is a valid test. For the Danners, if bought from Cabelas or any where else, if you have problems are they to be sent to the Danner factory? Obviously I am asking this because someone said Cabelas Meindl's are warranty by Cabelas and the did not get a full refund. Still thinking this out but the Danners seem decent.
Posted By: valad Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/02/13
I first contacted Meindl and they advised me that since they were Cabelas brand that Cabelas was responsible for any warranty and FYI. any item with Cabelas name on it is lifetime warranty which was good. The bad thing is they didn't credit me the full amount and I couldn't get a replacement pair ( new model) for the refunded amount.

...and this is why not to buy from Cabela's, sub-par warranty that is not actually a full warranty, but is just mis-leading

So where do you suggest to buy Meindl's outside of Cabelas? Are the quality of Cabelas Meindls the same as Meindls straight from factory? My guess is Meindls makes Cabelas boots and probably sold to them a little cheaper thus they are telling Cabelas to warranty these Meindl boots?
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/02/13
Buy the Meindl Perfekt, and i'll bet my life Meindl in Germany made them.

The question on leaking. Sometimes when I fly fish my mountain creeks I don't wear waders. I've done that and ended up wading all day in the Meindl's in water that didn't go over the top on them. No leaks. I've hiked all day in snow. No leaks.

have you read the reviews on the Meindl Perfekt boots on the Cabelas web site? There's a lot of them.

I used to wear Danners before switching to Meindl's. I was happy to get two years out of the Danners, and they were never worth resouling.
Posted By: valad Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/03/13
yeah I have seen the reviews on cabelas. Probably one of the better positive reviews of any boots. Even though you do not rate Danners highly apparently many people do. But most important is the boots have to fit my feet and all feet are different. I just need to get the insulation so my guess is the 400 thinsulate would work for me. Can't wait to visit Cabelas when I drive home stopping at the Wheeling Cabelas.
Thanks for your insight Mauser_Hunter!
Posted By: valad Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/03/13
Mauser, do you have the Perfekt Hikers that are insulated? I think the insulated boots are not the hikers. possibly things have changed since you bought your Meindl boots a few years ago?
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/03/13
I have the Hunters.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/03/13
It's not so much that I had bad luck with the Danners. They lasted two years which was longer than a lot of boots. I'm really hard on boots. I hike scout over 300 days a year. Plus, I wear wear them everyday around town.

I fully expected the Meindl's to last me two years too, but they just keep on going. I keep looking for them to come apart, but they're not doing it. They certainly were worth the money for me.

I just hope the new Perfekt's are still made in Germany. Maybe you could contact Meindl, and ask them?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/03/13
I stopped at my LGS while out driving today and saw they had the Danner Pronghorns for $199 and it was 200g thinsulate. Looked online and some reviews state they leak water when not supposed to. Said the test is to stand in ankle high bath water to see if they leak. Looked on the Danner site and saw no where stating where this is a valid test. For the Danners, if bought from Cabelas or any where else, if you have problems are they to be sent to the Danner factory? Obviously I am asking this because someone said Cabelas Meindl's are warranty by Cabelas and the did not get a full refund. Still thinking this out but the Danners seem decent.

Buy These^^^

They are the mfg in USA Danners. Mine have never leaked, & the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. They are NOT designed for Sheep or Goat Hunting, obviously, but they are super tough & very well made. For general hunting, I don't think they can be beat, for $200 bucks.
Posted By: smalljawbasser Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/03/13
I only have a little boot experience compared to some here, but here's what I know for sure:

1. Buy boots not made in a third world country.
2. Make sure they fit right.
Posted By: Kurt52 Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/03/13
I have a new pair (summer 2013) of Perfekt Hunters and they are still made in Germany per the tag. Great boots for my feet (4rd pair of Hunters, and I'm on my 4th pair hikers also) over the last 15-20 years or so. I don't see the quality slipping. The new fit like the old and wear like them too. Since I wear size 13 I don't have any issues with the soles as they are a more standard Vibram than on the smaller sizes.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/03/13
Perfekt Hunters from Cabelas seem to work fine for me.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/03/13
American Danner's or Assolos from Sierra Trading post will serve you better IMHO! The Kennetreks mentioned are nice as well but don't fit my skinny feet. All my Cabela boots have been 1- year boots.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/03/13
On the Cabelas web site, search the word "Germany". Then choose "footwear" on the left side. Then "mens" Hunting or Hiking. You get the gist. The Meindl's shown should be the ones made in Germany and should be of superior quality; not the "imported" ones. You can tell when you look at the boot description and it's says, "Made in Germany", at the bottom.

Alan
Posted By: setch Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/03/13

So where do you suggest to buy Meindl's outside of Cabelas? Are the quality of Cabelas Meindls the same as Meindls straight from factory? My guess is Meindls makes Cabelas boots and probably sold to them a little cheaper thus they are telling Cabelas to warranty these Meindl boots?

Valad, I don't know. Back when I still shopped cabelas I tried a pair of meindls and they tore up my feet...they just didn't fit me so I never looked for them again. I can tell you from experience that Schnees makes a damn fine boot (insulated beartooth), every bit as good as miendls I believe and their warranty is solid. Somebody mentioned the kennetreks, which have a very large fan base here on the fire and are carried in small hunting shops around the country. This would be a good option. I still like the danner option based on your usage pattern.
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/04/13
Anyone wear the cabelas Denali boots by meidnl?

I looked at them today and liked them.

Dink
Posted By: txhunter58 Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/04/13
I have a pair of Denalis and they have been comfortable and have held up well. Don't wear them all the time as they are slightly insulated and are not the lightest of my boot. However, when I need some insulation and have to climb the mountain all day with good support, they are what is on my feet.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/04/13
That was simple. I just looked at the Cabelas description of the Perfekt Hunters, and it says made in Germany.

With the good wear i'm getting, they had to be.

There's one called a Perfect Extreme that's imported, so don't get that one.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/04/13
The Denali is made in Germany.
Posted By: PPosey Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/05/13
I just got the following email from Cabelas about my Meindl boots with the falling apart soles,,,
======================================
Thank you for your recent order. We appreciate your shopping at Cabela's and hope that you had an enjoyable shopping experience.
Products Ordered

1 of 81-0087 CABELA'S CANADA HUNTING BOOTS 9 1/2 D BROWN
Cancel-Discontinued
1 of 09-0136 RETURNS GIFT CERTIFICATE
Shipped-11/04/13
Total
Merchandise = $219.95
ORDER TOTAL = $219.95
Payment Types Used On This Order

Exchange Credit = $219.95
========================================

Thats a full refund on a 10+ year old pair of boots,,, and thats why I shop at Cabelas so much,,,, now the decision is either the Denali or the Perfect to replace them
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/05/13
I bought eh Meindl Perfekt Hunters earlier this year for my month long trip to Wyoming for Elk and ND for Pheasant. I put these boots through a lot in the mountinas and they performed flawlessly for me! Very happy with my purchase....
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/06/13
I've been wearing the Cabelas Meindl Perfekt for a few years now and absolutely love them. The most comfortable boots I've worn so far.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/06/13
There are a lot of things we can get by with in the field, but boots aren't one. I get the best I can afford. The way I figure it, if I spend $300 for a pair of Danners (or something like that) and they last 10 years, that's $30 per year. And my feet say "thanks" at the end of the day.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/06/13
If they last 10 years.
Posted By: jt402 Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/06/13
The way I see it, one needs several pars of hunting boots.

For moderate temperatures, I use the Cabelas knock off of the Browning Kangeroo featherweight, lined with leather. They likely came out of the same factory, probably whoever makes Irish Sitter.

For somewhat colder, I use the goretex / insulated version of the Browning Kangeroo boot.

For even colder and wet, i use a Danner with goretex and heavier insulation.

I do not do much walking anymore ( health ). I drive near to a good spot and take a stand, or sometimes just park my Mule in a likely spot and sit and watch. Before my heart rhythm went south, I used a hiking boot by New Balance. Insulated and dry. May be better, but they worked for me. I hear lots of good reports on Merrill.

Whatever you get, you are wise to try them on. My boot sizes run from 10 to 12 and from medium width to extra wide. Go figure.
Posted By: pak Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/06/13
Mauser, you are hard on boots and got 7 years on one set of soles? Were they made of diamond plate?
Posted By: pointer Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/06/13
Originally Posted by pak
Mauser, you are hard on boots and got 7 years on one set of soles? Were they made of diamond plate?
Ha!!
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/06/13
Originally Posted by pak

Yep! Why do you think I push the Meindl's?

No bull. I've hiked on these boots for 7 years. Vibram comes in many formulas, and I must have got the super hard compound. Admittedly the ground I hike is pretty soft, but still.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/06/13
Originally Posted by efw
Oh yeah I think Cabela's is a great place to shop boots. The Meindl models discussed thus far are great, but Danners are awesome too. Most important is fit and each brand/model has a little different feel, even within the same size designation.

I have a 10 year old set of Danners that I have used alot, they are getting wore down but they still fit and feel great (usa made). The new danners (NOT USA made) seem uncomformable when I tried them on, I would galdly pay double if I could get another pair like the 10 year old ones I have...
Posted By: PPosey Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/06/13
Just ordered a pair of the Denali's we shall see how they fit
Posted By: shatodavis Re: Cabelas boots? - 11/06/13
I second the advice about Smartwool socks. I use to have "cold feet". I would buy heavier and heavier insulation but my feet would sweet and get cold etc. Finally I broke down and paid the ransom they ask for Smartwool socks. Best money i ever spent. I can hunt comfortably in Uninsulated boots. The key to me was getting the moisture away from my feet. Lightly insulated or uninsulated with good smartwool socks is the solution.

© 24hourcampfire