Home
Posted By: Kilimanjaro Arctic Adventure - 04/12/14
Just back from the Arctic on my muskox hunt.. Myself and my hunting pard, Joe from Las Vegas, had a wonderful trip and experience up in the Canadian Arctic.
The tip went flawlessly from start to finish.

With the proper gear, the cold was not too much of an issue.. I never saw the temp get higher than -18F and I saw it dip as low as -39F.
Got a bit of frostbite on the nose a bit and a little on 2 fingers, but I suppose it is all part of the adventure of seeing the Arctic in full glory.

My friend Wade Derby of Crosshair consulting booked the hunt for us and handled all the logistics of the hunt from start to finish. I have booked quite a few hunts through Wade and I can highly recommend his services and hunt offers.

Arriving in Yellowknife on the way.. 2 more flights north from here still to go!
[Linked Image]

First morning getting ready to head out! It was -38F that morning!
[Linked Image]

My trusty steed for the duration of the trip.. We're about 12 miles out on the sea ice in this pic.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My bull. I was 100% happy with him. A grand old trophy!
[Linked Image]

A pic I cleaned up a bit. Lightened up and cleaned up the blood.
[Linked Image]

And my pard's bull. His bull was a touch bigger than mine (that's hunting!).. Great length coming back up after the drop.
Great bull, amigo!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/scottkendrix/DSC00335finaledit_zps7774a41b.jpg[/img]

With the Arctic in the rearview, it's time to start planning the next adventure.. Off to Europe in Oct with Dennis (Caracal here on AR) to hunt 3 diff countries (Slovenia, Macedonia, Romania) for 3 diff species of chamois. Trying my best to inch ever closer to that much desired Capra Slam!
Posted By: jstevens Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/12/14
The musk ox is pretty decent to eat IMO.
Posted By: battered Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/12/14
Awesome, I've never even seen snow so can't imagine how cold that is
Posted By: LateBloomer Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/12/14
Congrats to the both of you!!!
Cheers!
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/12/14
Looks as if you and your partner had a great trip and were successful in your hunt.

Congratulations.

L.W.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/12/14
Wow, what an adventure. Congrats!
Posted By: eh76 Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/12/14
Great pictures! That 3rd one of the sled is very good in showing the desolation. Very nice bulls! Congrats!
Posted By: EricM Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/13/14
Wow, what an adventure! Congrats and thanks for sharing your report. How do you go about field dressing in that negative zero weather? I bet the freezing process starts pretty quickly.

Eric
Posted By: JoshK Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/13/14
Nice bulls. Looks like a fun trip!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/13/14
Congrats!
Posted By: KC Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/13/14

Yep. Does sound like an adventure. Thanks for sharing.

KC

Posted By: Kilimanjaro Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/13/14
Thanks, gents!

Here was a cool sight.. We saw this BIG set of wolf tracks shadowing a set of muskox tracks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pointer Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/14/14
Way cool and thanks for sharing! That hunt is definitely on my short list.
Posted By: Sevens Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/14/14
Very cool hunt. Did you have any issues with equipment in the extreme cold, like scopes fogging and such?
Posted By: Kilimanjaro Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/14/14
Thanks, guys. It was def a really cool adventure and a hunt that I would 100% go do again if given the opportunity.

Sevens, there was no fogging.. it was worse. It immediately froze on your glasses or goggles! We took a cloth with a dab of white gas on it and wiped it on our lenses. It helped a lot.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/14/14
Nice critter!
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Arctic Adventure - 04/14/14
Wow, very interesting
© 24hourcampfire