Home
http://kutv.com/news/local/allegations-of-corruption-surround-utah-hungtin-and-conservation-expo
Been a problem for the last several years, and apparently it has only become worse. SFW does not represent the average public land hunter nor do they do much to enhance wildlife populations in need of more help.
To quote the article:

"The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, submitted a proposal, offering to run the expo. It also offered to give 100 percent of the proceeds from the hunting tags, back to Utah Conservation Efforts.

Instead, a State Purchasing evaluation committee chose Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, which has been involved in running the expo for several years, but only designated 30% of the tag proceeds to conservation efforts.

2News sat down with DWR Assistant Director, Mike Canning for a recorded interview. Canning was the sole representative from the DWR on a five person evaluation committee tasked with choosing the best option.
He was asked: "In what way is 30 percent better than 100 percent? If DWR is for Utah conservation efforts, how are they (SFW) the better party for this?"

Canning's response: "In any proposal you have to look at more than just money."

Canning went on to point out that Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation was heavily favored for its 100 percent commitment to conservation, but came up short in their business plan and their data security protocol."

This all seems pretty weak to me, the RMEF is being critiqued on their data security protocol???? How does that explain where the other 70% of the funds are going? Sounds like a BS line to me... I personally tend to think RMEF is capable and willing to run the expo without compromising any "data security" and has the integrity to put 100% of the funds back into conservation if that is what they say they will do. If I lived in Utah I would be pissed.
SFW has always been in it for the money...
Originally Posted by LDB
This all seems pretty weak to me, the RMEF is being critiqued on their data security protocol????

That's code for "we picked who we wanted from the beginning."
The founder of SFW is deeply tied into the political elite in the state, as in being one of Utah's voting delegates to the Republican national convention. Uber inner circle, while the RMEF people are not.
Not a surprise that this is an issue in Utah...

Politics stink, but Utah politics has a very distinctive odor.

Run by the mormon mafia too. I attend the expo every year, and kind of feel guilty for it.

Its a good show with lots of outfitters and gear...too bad it so corrupt.
Cumminscowboy: Sad!
It seems anymore that where there is ANY money to be stirred around there are schemers and miscreants to try and take advantage of it - sadly the intended beneficiaries of this program (the wildlife herds!) are the real losers.
Hope the situation gets rectified soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'll bet Canning gets really nice Christmas gifts.
I hate to be a wet blanket, 'cause everything you read on the internet is true, right (?) but here is the actual signed contract between DWR and SFW:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/expo_permit_contract.pdf

the terms of the contract stipulate 100% of all monies collected have to go to approved conservation projects within 2 years of collection.

this FAQ also has links to the reports (scoring) of the bids as well as the audit process and the spending stipulations:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/utah-expo-permits-faq.html#q5
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
I hate to be a wet blanket, 'cause everything you read on the internet is true, right (?) but here is the actual signed contract between DWR and SFW:

the terms of the contract stipulate 100% of all monies collected have to go to approved conservation projects within 2 years of collection.

Item 7b in the first link you provided states that $1.50 of every $5 application fee will be allocated to Division-approved projects that will benefit protected wildlife. Item 7c states SFW may retain for administrative purposes the remaining $3.50 and be used specifically for policies, programs, projects, and personnel that support conservation initiatives in Utah.

While 100% of the $1.50 portion is earmarked towards projects, that's a far cry from 100% of all monies collected.
I noticed the "tough" wording in the State's concern about internet security, too...
Originally Posted by UtahLefty

Actually these concerns are all over the internet. So it seems their is some truth to the allegations. I hope in time we find out the "Why" and the "How" SFW gets all this cash from tax payers.
Looks like SFW found themselves a fat hog. What kind of organization is exempt from audits? Me and several of my friends would like to start one.

Sounds like some SFW and reviewing personnel might get lucky and score some tags. Fishy deal
An Alaska rep of SFW came to our little town and signed up numerous new members......no one ever got their membership or heard from him again.....he skipped with the funds. I think he's still a big game guide in Alaska.
Was his name Corey Rossi? whistle
You kept up on that little deal, no?
Yes, but don't recall all the details. I remember a rise and fall fraught with cronyism, no credentials, citations involving bears, and vanishing in the dark of the night.
You left out nonresidents wishing they could just vanish...
The NRA said it best, when SFW tried to screw over the NRA, B&C, SCI, and CSF by sending an email to everyone in Congress that incorrectly stated that those four organizations were on the side of SFW and wanted to kill the Simpson-Tester rider that gave ID and MT the wolf hunting seasons we currently have.

Read that beat down by the NRA and it will probably clarify any doubt you have about the folks leading SFW or their sister organization, Big Game Forever.

Press release issued by the NRA that week in February, 2011. (Bold and underline is my emphasis)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

NRA, SCI, and CSF Disavow Misleading Press Release

Today the National Rifle Association, Safari Club International and the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation publicly disavowed a misleading press release distributed on Friday, March 11th to congressional offices and other outlets. The press release blatantly misrepresents the position of these organizations regarding legislation to delist gray wolves under the Endangered Species Act.

The draft release was circulated by an individual representing Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife and Big Game Forever. The individual representing these two groups was immediately advised to remove the aforementioned organizations named in the release. Unfortunately, he did not, and the release was transmitted without correcting the inaccurate information.

The release in question claimed that the NRA, SCI and CSF along with the other organizations listed below are opposed to language relating to the delisting of gray wolves in spending legislation currently pending before the U.S. Congress. In fact, these organizations support that language, as well as every other measure that has been introduced in the U.S. House and Senate to date addressing this important issue.

Congressional offices and members of the media should exercise caution in accepting as fact, or repeating, any claims made by Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, Big Game Forever or any person claiming to represent them. Due to the blatant misrepresentation contained in the press release circulated by these two groups, any claims they make in the future should be thoroughly investigated and independently confirmed.

NRA Federal Affairs
Jeff Freeman
Senior Federal Lobbyist
[email protected]
410 First Street S.E.
2nd Floor
Washington, D.C. 20003
tel: 202.651.2568
fax: 202.651.2577
I'm sure that there is some state politician lining his off shore bank account with some ill-gotten monies.
Originally Posted by BigFin
The NRA said it best, when SFW tried to screw over the NRA, B&C, SCI, and CSF by sending an email to everyone in Congress that incorrectly stated that those four organizations were on the side of SFW and wanted to kill the Simpson-Tester rider that gave ID and MT the wolf hunting seasons we currently have.

Read that beat down by the NRA and it will probably clarify any doubt you have about the folks leading SFW or their sister organization, Big Game Forever.

Press release issued by the NRA that week in February, 2011. (Bold and underline is my emphasis)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

NRA, SCI, and CSF Disavow Misleading Press Release

Today the National Rifle Association, Safari Club International and the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation publicly disavowed a misleading press release distributed on Friday, March 11th to congressional offices and other outlets. The press release blatantly misrepresents the position of these organizations regarding legislation to delist gray wolves under the Endangered Species Act.

The draft release was circulated by an individual representing Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife and Big Game Forever. The individual representing these two groups was immediately advised to remove the aforementioned organizations named in the release. Unfortunately, he did not, and the release was transmitted without correcting the inaccurate information.

The release in question claimed that the NRA, SCI and CSF along with the other organizations listed below are opposed to language relating to the delisting of gray wolves in spending legislation currently pending before the U.S. Congress. In fact, these organizations support that language, as well as every other measure that has been introduced in the U.S. House and Senate to date addressing this important issue.

Congressional offices and members of the media should exercise caution in accepting as fact, or repeating, any claims made by Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, Big Game Forever or any person claiming to represent them. Due to the blatant misrepresentation contained in the press release circulated by these two groups, any claims they make in the future should be thoroughly investigated and independently confirmed.

NRA Federal Affairs
Jeff Freeman
Senior Federal Lobbyist
[email protected]
410 First Street S.E.
2nd Floor
Washington, D.C. 20003
tel: 202.651.2568
fax: 202.651.2577

Thanks, I had forgotten that...
© 24hourcampfire