Home
Posted By: mtcurman Montana Merriam's.... - 04/15/16
OK, let me just preface this with I know turkeys aren't big game, but I'd rather post it here than the Campfire.... grin

Nash and I went out after gobblers yesterday for the first time of the year.. The first spot we stopped and called, right away we heard a distant gobble about a mile off.. He was in the general area where we wanted to go anyway, so we headed out the ridge toward him.. We got about half way to him, and called again. Bam, he cut in right away, and was closer than we'd figured he would be. He kept gobbling, getting closer each time. We scrambled and got set up. Every time we even touched the call, he'd cut in. I started hearing spittin' and drummin' and then a big red head through the cedars at about 12 yards.. It promptly got a dose of 5 shot.... And so my Montucky turkey season lasted about 30 minutes. laugh it'd be nice if they all came in as good as him......

[Linked Image]

The caller.... smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And we did it in blue jeans too boot....grin

Ben
Nice one! And a great photo, too.

The gobblers at the Ranch were really strutting here yesterday. Going to take a couple of my nephews to hunt them here next week.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/15/16
Dandy Bird! I had to stop my jeep today to let a big Tom move out of the road! my hunt dont start for another 10 days here!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/15/16

We got a few in spite of bad knees and a broken Benelli...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/15/16
GOOD deal Ben and Nash! laugh
Originally Posted by ingwe

Why don't you have the decency to acknowledge my success. I am sure it hurt a lot more...
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/15/16
Nice birds.. How do you break a Benelli
Nice job guys!
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/15/16
Nice job to ALL!
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/15/16
Thanks guys...

And I'll acknowledge your success Shrap, good job on the bird. Melstone country?

Ben
Ashland, we ran over a Wyoming license plate with deer guts all over it on our way by Roundup...
Posted By: WillARights Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/15/16

...those are some big honkin birds!!

Well done all three.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Ashland, we ran over a Wyoming license plate with deer guts all over it on our way by Roundup...

Interesting route. Wonder if the guy from WY wants his plate back like the guy from CO.
Posted By: deflave Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/16/16
Nice job Ben and Nash.

Dave
Posted By: deflave Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/16/16
shrap,

What happened to the Benelli?

Dave
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/16/16
Originally Posted by deflave
shrap,

What happened to the Benelli?

Dave

While hiking around the charging handle fell out of the bolt, so I had to take my Swiss Army knife and open the leather punch on it and stick it into the top of a pop can in the side by side so I could grab it quick and stick it into the hole on the bolt of the Benelli to charge it in case I saw a turkey.

The gun was so dirty from all the dust, it wouldn't cycle when fired and I ended up with a Benelli Super Blackeagle II Single Shot. Those are rare guns and I have one for sale...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/17/16
You need to take better care of your stuff.

Dave
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/17/16
Shrap that's what you get for not taking that Damascus barreled side by side... laugh
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/17/16
Nice job on the birds guys. I got a 9 1/2 incher on opening day in the Bitterroot. Headed out here in a few for bird #2.

Shrap demonstrated why I likely will never own another semi-auto...I had that happen once with my Rem 1100 while chucker hunting. I'm a pump and O/U type guy.
Good luck Inman! Never had an 870 fail me. I've seen all sorts of very nice semi auto's puke at inopportune times, while 870's and doubles kept on chuggin'.. A side by side with two triggers is about a reliable as they come too.

I would like a Benelli 20 gauge someday though.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Nice job on the birds guys. I got a 9 1/2 incher on opening day in the Bitterroot. Headed out here in a few for bird #2.

Shrap demonstrated why I likely will never own another semi-auto...I had that happen once with my Rem 1100 while chucker hunting. I'm a pump and O/U type guy.

Dear fugking God almighty.

Clark
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/17/16

I guarantee you, that if your O/U had the dirt in it the Benelli did, you wouldn't have gotten the action closed.
Hey Shrap, can you still shoot a turkey in region 4?
I can shoot a turkey anywhere, I still have all my tags and few shotgun shells...
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/17/16
I know where a guy could pick up a '12ga double barrel shotgun CHEAP'.......
I know where there is a license plate all covered with deer guts...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/17/16
Originally Posted by ingwe

Why don't you have the decency to acknowledge my success. I am sure it hurt a lot more...

Just cuz you pulled it off with a phouced up shotgun, you think you're hot stuff.....

You should see what I said about your gun on the varmint/dead stuff thread! grin

I will acknowledge one thing, I have a minor idea approx. where your PDs, your rabbits and your turkeys are. You really travel to bring us these pics! grin

I don't think a lot of the guys back east can quite get a grasp on that....
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/17/16

I guarantee you, that if your O/U had the dirt in it the Benelli did, you wouldn't have gotten the action closed.

That may be, but due to the design of a break action, that much dirt wouldn't have been in the action in the first place, and I wouldn't be relying on a Swiss Army knife to work the action. I've had one O/U rust shut on me, but 3-4 autos fail to feed/cycle. I've hunted an O/U a LOT more than any semi too.

Ben's right about that 870 though. Those things are bombproof. I had a mossberg that puked with less than 500 rounds and a Win 1300 that has been OK, but it ain't no 870.

Anyhoo...no bird for me tonight. Had 3 hens within range but no tom. Tomorrows another day!
You guys need to learn how to take proper care of a firearm.

Dave
Posted By: 79S Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/17/16

Dear fugking God almighty.

Clark

Warm beer??? Kids [bleep] and ran? No clean forks? Over cooked the chicken? For christ sakes tell us what happened??
Posted By: 79S Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/17/16

Dave

What's bad shrap trying to bust jokes and can't even get huntsman state right insisting he's from Wyoming [bleep].. You better help him out next time since he helped you out with your horrible April fools joke..
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/18/16
Who said it was Huntsman's license plate? You need to let it go. Get out of the house once a month and leave the Campfire on your computer...
Congratulations guys those are some nice birds.
Posted By: deflave Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by 79S

Dave

What's bad shrap trying to bust jokes and can't even get huntsman state right insisting he's from Wyoming [bleep].. You better help him out next time since he helped you out with your horrible April fools joke..

That was all his idea.

Dave
Originally Posted by 79S

Dave

That was all his idea.

Dave

I thought it a bit elaborate for you...whistle
Posted By: 79S Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/18/16
Who said it was Huntsman's license plate? You need to let it go. Get out of the house once a month and leave the Campfire on your computer...

I can't... and you changed ever since you got that bionic knee..
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/18/16
If you went through Roundup on your way to Ashland, you were lost -- or just on a road hunting trip!!
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/18/16

It should be on his doorstep today or tomorrow.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/18/16
Dang those Merriam's get big. Good job guys!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by troutslayer

It should be on his doorstep today or tomorrow.

Got it today troutslayer. I can't believe you didn't hose those guts off. What was you trying to do? Give the bomb-sniffing dogs at the PO a rise?......grin
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/18/16
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/19/16
I thought maybe it was some of your sentimental cow shiit.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/19/16
Originally Posted by troutslayer
I thought maybe it was some of your sentimental cow shiit.

grin
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/19/16
Merriam's are beautiful birds. I've heard tale of a few Montana folks having problems with eastern birds though.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/21/16
Not to step on Ben's toes here, but here are two more Montana Merriams. One from yesterday and one from opening day. First has a 9 1/2 inch beard and the second has a 9 inch beard.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think Merriams are easier to hunt than easterns...as I've hunted and killed both but I think the Merriams just are not hunted as hard. I don't necessarily think easterns are more difficult to call in and outsmart, at least not unpressured easterns.

The hard hunted Merriams I've hunted in northern Idaho were every bit as wary as the easterns I chased when stationed in North Carolina.
And there are enough mutts running around crossed with easterns, or whatever the local farm & ranch store is peddling, to make it hard to speak in absolutes.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/21/16
true...the birds in the Bitterroot Valley are not like the Merriams of the eastern part of the state...as their tail feather trims are not the almost white color that traditional Merriams have. They're not as dark as an eastern either. Maybe a Rio cross of some sort? The second bird above had spurs like an eastern, but the first had short stubby spurs like a Merriams. Both had the tail feathers of neither traditional eastern nor Merriams...

Who knows...
Posted By: pointer Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/22/16
I think the few I've shot in ID were mutts...

Posted By: T_Inman Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/22/16
Tyler, did you hunt those Idaho birds with Mark? He helped me get my first bird near Southwick Idaho, 18 years ago from yesterday.

I believe it was one of the rare easterns that had been transplanted into the area, or was of a direct lineage of them. Tail feathers and the bases were dark brown and his spurs were close to 2 inches long. Best I could tell, he was a purebred eastern, but I'll bet they're so crossbred these days that a bird like him doesn't exist there anymore, unless they've transplanted more eastern into the area.
Posted By: pointer Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/22/16
Yep. Probably in the same canyon you did. We got one there and one closer to the reservoir. Here's my bird from up there.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/28/16
Very nice and great pics.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Montana Merriam's.... - 04/28/16
Fine story and pics!

You two brothers really get after them!

© 24hourcampfire