Home
Mods feel free to move to the lever action board if you feel it would be more appropriate there...

Hi, my name is Will. I'm a simple blue collar guy, family man from NW Oregon. Outside of my family the outdoors is my #1 passion more specifically big game hunting (bow and rifle) and salt water fishing. Recently I've gotten into hand loading and want to give long range shooting a go. I've been on ifish dot net for a number of years and am looking to branch out. I mostly like looking at pictures and reading success stories from people's hunts. This seems like a good place to do so! If you're a member there too drop me a line so I can put the pieces together smile I'll add some more stories as time permits to the appropriate board.

Not much to this story, spring bear season on the Oregon coast. I was still hunting through a timbered draw to another clear cut and caught movement 45 yards up the hill. I drew a bead and dropped the hammer. The bear did a summersault and came down the hill straight at me! Not a charge just I was standing smack in the path of least resistance. I threw the lever as fast as I could and got two more rounds off, both landed, before the bear crumpled from a spine shot less than 5 paces-close enough to need to change my shorts lol!!! Not the biggest bear in the world but the trophy values lies in the fact I used my great grandfathers rifle smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We had this picture on our mantel when I was a kid but when my dad moved this picture went MIA... I was visiting my great aunt (this guy's daughter) a while back and saw this tucked away in a corner! This is my great grandfather, a Czech immigrant who learned English during primary school here in the states. I think he only had about a 5th-6th grade education but spoke 4 languages and could play concert violin. During the depression the moved out west from N Dakota where he settled in Milton-Freewater and found work building the dams to provide for his wife and 4 daughters. Nobody living knows the exact date, other than "sometime in the 40's," he headed up the Blue Mountains to find some meat for the table and came home with this stud bull. That model 94 chambered in ".30 WCF" now lives in my safe and shoots just as well today as it did then. I'm the 3rd male with the same first name in 4 generations to get blood on that gun. I can't wait to pass it down to my kids someday!

[Linked Image]

Great post. Great pics.
I love this kind of stuff.

Really like the pic with the bull and the fact that he didn't seem to require the modern weaponry deemed essential today.
Great heritage there, and start an album dedicated solely to that unit.
Great stuff BBB!
Congrats on the bear.

A lot of family history right there too - your Great Grandfather would be proud ; pass it on.............

Welcome to the campfire,
-Ted smile
Will, you sure get around, huh? Love the pics and story, again. Thanks for posting.
Great story & pictures from a "simple blue collar guy." That, in & of itself, is an inherited gene.
Great story, thanks for posting. I love all the "heirloom gun" (as I call 'em) stories that pop up here occasionally. I've got a few heirlooms in the safe and some of my fondest hunting memories involve using them in the field.
I only have two long guns that I bought for myself, and one is for sale. Firearms are a special tool in my family, handed down through the generations
Great post. When handling older guns that show honest use, I wish they could tell me the tales of their trips afield.
It is special when you own one that has some real history that you know.
Very nice! Thanks for the story!
Very nice! Great story and ultra cool rifle. Heckuva elk as well from your grandfather.
Cool story! Nice to see that those "old Rifles" can still kill stuff! :-))
Nice story, thank you for sharing. A great connection to your heritage. Shot my first der with a 30-30 then got magnumitis. I have since(mostly) moved back to non magnums without any problems filling the freezer. My brother has the 30-30, though it's not an heirloom piece, I have my dads 270 and Auto 5 for that. Thanks again for the story.
Yay! for old guns and thank you very much.
That is super cool; the only thing cooler than a classy rifle is a classy FAMILY rifle.

Awesome score man and welcome to the 'fire!
Will,

Welcome aboard, congrats, and thanks for sharing a very nice story!
Excellent!! Thanks for the post and great pics.. Have my grandfather's rifle and my dads, but don't hunt them much... Should do that..
A 30-30 has killed Elk....who knew? Great story by the way.

Doc
Nice bear and great story. Thanks for sharing.
Very cool. I still hunt with open sight .30-30's as well.
Neat!
Good story and great that you use your grandfather's​ rifle! I have also been an ifish member! Don't go there much anymore, to confined in their moderating! What unit did the bear come from, I see you said NW Oregon!
Good story and great that you use your grandfather's​ rifle! I have also been an ifish member! Don't go there much anymore, to confined in their moderating! What unit did the bear come from, I see you said NW Oregon!
Very cool. I have my late grandfather's model 94 30 wcf as well.
Heym-

I do most of my elk and bear hunting in the trask unit. My bull (in the elk hunting board), this bear and the bear I posted in the archery board came from the trask unit

I like the freedom and subject matter here a lot more but the redirects when using my phone are killer!

Sure is a lot easier to sell stuff here than ifish wink
© 24hourcampfire