Home

I have 3 preference points and 10 weighted points for moose.
What is the best unit to use these points in?
Not the one where I've been applying.......

I know that feeling LOL
tom
I think you got a ways to go.Mine took 16 years .Some say the Rio Grand headwaters, 71 or 77, Ithink
There's not enough difference in average moose antler sizes in Colorado so I go for the units with better draw odds
Good luck. I've been applying since the 1st hunt. Never have drawn a tag. I have 3 plus 16 weighted points. As far as units-----some say 6 or 171 those are up around Walden. Some say 28, I think that around Grand Lake. Some say the Grand Mesa over by Grand Jct. And still others say unit 76, that's around Lake city. Everyone has long odds. Just apply & hope your number comes up.
PG,

Units 7&8 have a lot for moose especially in the North end. The drainage's near Cameron pass have lot of moose as well

Lefty C
But if you check the odds in those units, they're not very good.
For a bull moose there is nothing but Long Odds. Too many applicants & too few licenses. It's a little different for a cow moose---but I've been applying for 20+ years, I'm not going to apply for a cow after that many years.
Originally Posted by smokepole
But if you check the odds in those units, they're not very good.

Yep, When I drew mine ,I had a 1/2 % chance of drawing one of two tags and that was a cow
I got my moose refund in today's mail. I've got 3 points + 17 weighted points. Pumpgun, all I can say is keep applying & hope for the best.
Originally Posted by colorado bob
For a bull moose there is nothing but Long Odds. Too many applicants & too few licenses. It's a little different for a cow moose---but I've been applying for 20+ years, I'm not going to apply for a cow after that many years.

When the clock is ticking and you maybe have1-3 years left in you to hunt, you might rethink that. I already had t stop applying for sheep and goat. Goat after 25 + years. I had sheep tag in 95, I could never draw another after applying for 16 years after th5 year wait.
If you want a serious moose then it matters a little as big ones do come from certain units, but generally any moose tag is one that can produce a decent bull with effort, go for better odds in a unit you can handle physically... I'v drawn 5 goat and 3 sheep tags but can't get a low number for moosies, though my wife has drawn 2. Just got the refund yesterday, damn it!
© 24hourcampfire