Home
Posted By: Blacktailer Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/19/17
Thinking about getting a tripod for shooting sitting and standing. Looking at the Gen 3 Trigger Stick and the Bog Pod Red Legged Devil. Seems like the Trigger Stick would be faster to set up but some of the reviews are not very complimentary. Anyone with experience with these or others to consider?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/19/17
I have both. Trigger Stick
yup.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/19/17
I just ordered a 2nd trigger stick today. The Gen 2 is on sale right now since the Gen 3 came out. I now have both the short and long tripods. I've read a few negative reviews on the longevity and I've only had mine for a year or so, but it was flawless for my elk hunt last year.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/19/17
I have both as well. I much prefer the trigger stick. I did do a slight modification to mine though. I unscrewed the rest on the trigger stick and screwed on a bog pod adapt-a-pod. I then mounted the bog pod wide body shooting rest on it and now IMO I have the best of both worlds.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016332514/bog-pod-mpa-adapt-a-pod-quick-change-adapter
https://www.natchezss.com/battenfel...ting-rest-wide-body-rest-saddle-bag.html
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/19/17
I had both

I gave the Bog Pod away

The Trigger Stick is by far faster and has a better yoke

I now have the tall trigger stick in both bi-pod and tri-pod
Posted By: ingwe Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/19/17
Damn! I must be as lazy as my Mama said I was...the less stuff I pack up the hill, the better. Never used either one, or sticks for that matter in Africa. Never felt slighted for not using them...
Got a tall bipod Trigger Stick several years ago when I needed a walking aid. Instructions say not to use it as a walking stick but I did anyway. Best when using gloves.

Now I own a total of three, two of which are shorter tripods. Had a problem with one of the tripods and ordered the second, then was able to fix the first. (One leg did not want to collapse. Works fine now.)

Very fast and easy to set up.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/20/17
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have both as well. I much prefer the trigger stick. I did do a slight modification to mine though. I unscrewed the rest on the trigger stick and screwed on a bog pod adapt-a-pod. I then mounted the bog pod wide body shooting rest on it and now IMO I have the best of both worlds.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016332514/bog-pod-mpa-adapt-a-pod-quick-change-adapter
https://www.natchezss.com/battenfel...ting-rest-wide-body-rest-saddle-bag.html

That is really a good idea.

I've used the tall Trigger Stick Gen2 bipod for a number of years, and just bought at Gen3 tall tripod. My BIL has used the tripod for a couple of years (Gen2). The Gen3 has a slightly different head design, but the biggest difference between the Gen2 and Gen3 is weight: the Gen3 feels a bit heavier to me, but not much.

Other than how they operate, the biggest difference I can see between the Trigger Stick and Bog Pod is the legs: the Trigger Stick legs are more substantial and give quite a bit more stability when using them extended (standing). When the sticks are collapsed and I'm shooting from a blind or chair, there really isn't a lot of difference between the two.
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/21/17
I own both (gen 1 tall trigger stick) and use the heck out of both. The bog pod has the advantage of spreading wider for kneeling or sitting positions or extending for standing. The trigger stick has the advantage of faster deployment from standing but can't be used for sitting on the ground or for low elbow on knee kneeling. I killed my bull elk last year at 450 yards elbow on knee kneeling with the bog pod. That position is not possible with the tall trigger stick. If you can afford to, get both imo.
What? You've never heard of kicking the legs out front more for sitting or kneeling? Some are easily stumped.....
I've got the Bog Pod. I think it is the better built of the 2 but it takes awhile to adjust it from a sitting to standing lengths. The trigger stick is much faster to adjust. A buddy of mine that guides and uses them almost everyday has switched to the Bog Pod. He said he went through 3 trigger sticks in 2 years. When I bought mine, I went Bog Pod because google revealed allot of quality complaints with the trigger stick. Those may have been resolved. I would probably buy the trigger stick if I had to do it over again. I don't use it enough to wear it out and it is allot easier to use.
Posted By: Omega51 Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/21/17
I have both and unlike the majority here I like the Bog Pod better. The Trigger Sticks are faster to set up but the Bog Pod is superior in every other manner.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/22/17
Originally Posted by sambo3006
I own both (gen 1 tall trigger stick) and use the heck out of both. The bog pod has the advantage of spreading wider for kneeling or sitting positions or extending for standing. The trigger stick has the advantage of faster deployment from standing but can't be used for sitting on the ground or for low elbow on knee kneeling. I killed my bull elk last year at 450 yards elbow on knee kneeling with the bog pod. That position is not possible with the tall trigger stick. If you can afford to, get both imo.

I can get my tall trigger stick tripod as low as 22" so I am confused why you can't shoot from your knees or butt with a tall tripod

I use mine often to glass as I sit flat on my butt
that's because you have the later one.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/22/17
10-4
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/22/17
Originally Posted by huntsman22
What? You've never heard of kicking the legs out front more for sitting or kneeling? Some are easily stumped.....

I'm not stumped. I know you can do that. You can do that with a forked stick too. But you are not using it as a fixed tripod rest like that. I want a solid front rest when ever possible, but I have been known to improvise from time to time...
Don't overlook the Pig and Hog Saddles
Posted By: Rolltide Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/22/17
You use the pig and hog saddles with a trigger stick Blackbrush?
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/22/17
I have both the Gen2 short mono-pod and the short tri-pod. I use the short mono-pod for hunting, I can rest my binos on them to glass while sitting and when its time to shoot I can shoot off it also. When I am scouting I carry the tri-pod with my spotter on it, A little heavy but when I am scouting I don't mind caring the extra weight. I have used the trigger sticks since they came out and have not wore any out to where they quit working , just have upgraded to different styles for convenience.
I expect you can. I use a Hog Saddle on top of my tripod that I use for my spotter. One can only carry so much crap....
Posted By: Slider1 Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/22/17
I have both and the trigger stick sets in the closet. The bog pod is way more versatile. I use the camera mount for my camera and my spotter. I also use the BOG-POD A Roo Sling Swivel Mount Switch on my rifles.
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/23/17
I made one a few years ago on a late season caribou hunt in mid-November. They were long way off and moving faster than we could catch them on snowshoes. Brush was too high for prone or sitting. Used two willows about five feet long, and two feet of paracord. Took less than two minutes.

If PBucket was still acting sensibly, could post a picture. Light and plenty sturdy. Never used it again, but still have it. smile
Ted

I've had both and both are nice and damn sure worth having. My trigger sticks don't last but I use them more than most in a season. I've gone through two of them and neither lasted me a full season before a leg refused to lock. They are also bulkier and a little heavier than the bog pods

I'm in season 3 with my bog pod and it's doing great. Had to replace a leg last season and it cost me $10 so I ordered a couple extra to have. It's lightweight, durable and easy to carry. I take them with me on every hunt and we've shot off of it a bunch! Just this year there's been a bear, 5 antelope and 2 bighorn sheep shot off of my bog pod

I'll never buy another trigger stick but honestly, for 95% of the population they'll be just fine. Pick whatever you like better
Trigger Stick Gen2 bipod is easy to use in a blind or while walking had the Gen1 version and the trigger broke sent it back to Primos and they replaced it for free with the Gen2.
Posted By: WAM Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/25/17
I have a Stoney Point Explorer monopod made before sold to Primos and sent to China for manufacture and a Bog Pod. Trigger Sticks seem to be a bit shakey for me. Happy Trails
Posted By: SKane Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 09/25/17
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I've had both and both are nice and damn sure worth having. My trigger sticks don't last but I use them more than most in a season. I've gone through two of them and neither lasted me a full season before a leg refused to lock. They are also bulkier and a little heavier than the bog pods

I'm in season 3 with my bog pod and it's doing great. Had to replace a leg last season and it cost me $10 so I ordered a couple extra to have. It's lightweight, durable and easy to carry. I take them with me on every hunt and we've shot off of it a bunch! Just this year there's been a bear, 5 antelope and 2 bighorn sheep shot off of my bog pod

I'll never buy another trigger stick but honestly, for 95% of the population they'll be just fine. Pick whatever you like better

I hear ya. I have the longer length trigger stick bipod. I'm partial to it but am quite careful with it - knowing full well one of the legs will eventually give me grief - especially in the cold.

Another one to toss into the discussion is the Ultrec Quick-Change Carbon Fiber Sticks. With its flip tabs for the legs, it's a much quicker setup than the Bog Pod.

Link:
http://www.ultrec.com/product_cf_qc.html

Resurrecting this......since I started a thread along the same lines in the backpack hunting forum. I have a g2 tall monopod trigger stick, but wondering if the tall tripod is doable for weight, as the occasional walking/hiking aid, and can be slung or packed easily enough, when not carried?
I top mine with a rest like this:

https://shop.centermassinc.com/info/mini-sharpshooters-rifle-rest

Thanks.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 10/18/19
I had both......gave the Bog Pod away

Now I have two Primos tall sets of sticks.....tripod and bipod

Do yourself a favor and search and search and search until you find a Gen1 or a Gen2

I can't stand the extra bulk in the new ones
Posted By: strosfann Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 10/18/19
I have the Trigger Stick gen 2 and love it. I’ve not made a lot of shots off of it in the field (100’s if not 1000’s of pellets off it in the backyard though). What I find it really useful for is helping to steady the binoculars when working the spot and stalk.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 10/18/19
Originally Posted by strosfann
I have the Trigger Stick gen 2 and love it. I’ve not made a lot of shots off of it in the field (100’s if not 1000’s of pellets off it in the backyard though). What I find it really useful for is helping to steady the binoculars when working the spot and stalk.

I use mine for binocular work 99.999% of the time
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 10/19/19
Originally Posted by ingwe
Damn! I must be as lazy as my Mama said I was...the less stuff I pack up the hill, the better. Never used either one, or sticks for that matter in Africa. Never felt slighted for not using them...

What Ingwe said.
Normally, I don’t use anything. Lately is not normal. Lots of night pred hunting with heavy ass night optics and standing to glass and shoot....for a while, I started using a monopod. Helps. Then I dislocated a vertebrae and now have a bunch of metal in my lower back, and figure I shouldn’t bounce off the ground if I can help it, so I’m hunting something to do double duty as a walking stick and a rest, for insurance.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 10/20/19
Look at the bog death grip tripod. Gives you tripod and basically a clamping saddle

. I bought one for my kids and wife to use while hunting from ground blinds/towers. They sometimes struggle hold the weight of rifle steady. I have used it multiple times now myself for shooting LR/fun shooting. Works awesome. My nephew will be using this weekend on youth hunt!!

I wouldn’t carry it up a mountain out west, but for my use it works great!

The carbon fiber is lighter and obviously more expensive. Buds gun has it at best price I have seen. 202$
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 10/20/19
I actually have one of the original Stoney point bipod with the tripod leg adapter and the third arm adapter that holds the back of the rifle. Really liked the thing but just never use it

Tripod broke but glued back together. Still works fine. Need to sell the thing so someone can use the tripod adapter and rifle support. Can’t find or buy them any longer. Should work with the primos brand bipods that are basically the old Stoney points.

I have the Bog Pod two years now and have yet to shoot off it. I like it for my bino and scope glassing, but much prefer shooting off my pack.
Posted By: lotech Re: Trigger stick vs Bog Pod - 10/22/19
I've used both and see very little in-the-field difference. Good idea to occasionally shoot using one or the other or both during the off season.
© 24hourcampfire