Home
Will bright, vibrant yellows (yelliow is one of the colors ungulates can see) be alarming to deer and elk or is there enough natural yellows in the environment (unlike there is blue) that they won't take notice? I imagind a bright yelloa will probably be dulled down though deer's eyes, anyway.
Deer are protanopic. They have attenuated red sensors compared to humans. As a result, hunter orange comes out the color of freshly turned maple leaves.

Yellow is not affected as much.

Here's a sample:

[Linked Image]

Here it is run throught he Coblis color blindness generator:

[Linked Image]

Here's a link to the Coblis website:

http://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/
They will certainly see it. If you are in dead grass it could be effective camouflage. If surrounded by a dark background it will stand out like a light house. Not sure exactly what a deer would see but I would imagine it as similar to wearing white clothing.
Why the question?
Because the inside of one my jackets is bright yellow. Not really a problem, just wondering.
As said, it is the contrast that nails you. Small sized contrast blotches tend to blur into solids, real big ones stand out. Medium size splotches tend to be good at effectively breaking up outline. Woodland camo is one of the best, despite all the new chit...

UV "killing" your clothing is a good thing. Clothing not UV killed glows to their eyes in low light conditions. New clothing comes with, and regular detergents renew "brighteners" (UV), so kill the UV in your hunting stuff and use non-brightener detergents to wash it. I've tested it enough to believe it.

Scent killers, properly used, also work.
There's more yellow in nature than people realize.

Clark
There is more yellow in people than commonly realized... smile
Originally Posted by GTS9
Because the inside of one my jackets is bright yellow. Not really a problem, just wondering.

Don't wear it inside out.
[img]http://s38.photobucket.com/user/GTS9MM/media/20171014_160907_zpsg7qsnzsd.jpg.html?filters[user]=146889197&filters[recent]=1&filters[publicOnly]=1&sort=1&o=1[/img][img]http://s38.photobucket.com/user/GTS9MM/media/20171014_163827_zpsqbb8g2q4.png.html[/img]

I took a photo of that jacket next to an orange hunting cap and ran it through the red blind color filter on that color blind sight (everyone seems to think this represents a deer's vision), interestingly, the yellow becomes indistinguishable from the orange.
GTSG - Please do not hunt in yellow! Long story but very nearly got shot in the head wearing a yellow hat. The gent that nearly pulled the trigger walked through the timber to me with a tear going down his cheek described to me how close he came to pulling the trigger on what he thought was a piece of deer. I never ever forgot that morning.
There are yellow deer? Who knew? I'm guessing he was partially color blind and saw it as brownish.

Shooting at "a piece of a deer"? Well yeah, but only after I've seen the whole animal, or enough to know it is an animal and wijth other safety issues in mind. No restrictions on sex or size?

This guy should not be in the field with a gun at all.
Sounds like the guy waiting for his buddy's to return and telling another friend he got three "sound" shots but no deer.
© 24hourcampfire